Biden Cabinet Confirmation Live Thread ***hearings, votes, etc.*** (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 12:34:47 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Biden Cabinet Confirmation Live Thread ***hearings, votes, etc.*** (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Biden Cabinet Confirmation Live Thread ***hearings, votes, etc.***  (Read 101661 times)
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« on: January 21, 2021, 09:11:36 AM »

You cannot call the actions of seemingly everybody else on this forum "cringe," then do this & expect to remain credible.

Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2021, 11:17:10 AM »

I wouldn't be surprised if some of the other more-or-less uncontroversial Biden picks, like Yellen, go through 94-1 or 95-1 with Hawley in the Gillibrandian #NeverAnyBidenNominee role.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2021, 01:11:59 PM »

This morning, C-SPAN said that Yellen and Blinken could be voted on today, but McConnell in his morning remarks said that Blinken would be voted on next week. Any news on Yellen and/or Blinken?

Yellen was voted (unanimously) out of committee earlier today, so there are no obstacles to confirming her today.

It's been reported that there are a few holds against Blinken's nomination in committee at the moment, which would prevent them from using unanimous consent to discharge from the committee and vote immediately. If the holds aren't lifted, they'll have to wait for the Foreign Affairs committee to vote at their next regular meeting (which is on Monday).

Risch (chair of committee) said he was "working on" getting the holds lifted, but Menendez (lead Dem) said he expected it would only happen on Monday.

Why is Risch still committee chair? Dems have the majority.

Committee positions, including chairmanships, are formally assigned by the organizing resolution that Schumer and McConnell are still arguing about.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2021, 01:32:51 PM »

ICYMI:

Question:

Is Harris supposed to swear in every cabinet member that got confirmed by the Senate ?

Other than the Chief Justice swearing in the President and the Speaker of the House being sworn in by the Dean and then swearing in everyone else, who swears in whom is a little ad hoc in the United States. Technically anybody with the ability to legally witness oaths can swear in any officeholder, even the President; LBJ was sworn in by a federal district judge in Dallas, Coolidge by his own father, a State of Vermont notary public.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2021, 10:27:39 AM »

Do we know what time Yellen's floor vote is today?
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2021, 12:28:37 PM »

I wouldn't be shocked if it was one of those 94-1 or 95-1 votes with Hawley in the #NeverAnyBidenNominee role that I predicted the other day there would be a few of.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2021, 06:11:07 PM »

Has Hoeven become Trumpier over the years or was he always further-out than his profile and image suggested?
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2021, 06:27:05 PM »

Good. Biden had better make damn good f**king use of the administrative state if the Senate does stay paralyzed.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2021, 01:27:20 PM »

Looks like the Pubs aren't trying to derail any of these nominations.  Surprised?

A little.

I'm actually surprised how many yes votes the pubs are putting up here, to be honest.

When they get around to the domestic policy nominees I expect we'll start to see more ~60-40 or 55-45 votes. Mayorkas's committee vote cut it pretty close.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2021, 02:55:48 PM »

AG will be a particularly contentious one imo

Merrick Garland?   I know Cornyn at least has come out in favor already.

Most contentious I expect to be Tanden and Beccara.

There's a widespread inaccurate perception that what happened about Garland's SCOTUS nomination was personal. Which it arguably was, but if so, the person it was personal about was Obama, not Garland.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2021, 12:05:09 PM »

Buttigieg has been voted out of committee 21-3.

Cruz, Lee, and...?
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2021, 12:54:07 PM »

*the criminal
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2021, 12:33:12 PM »

That's a ridiculous take. Multiple important committees are unable to meet due to lacking chairs. We're not going two years without a Budget or HELP committee.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2021, 06:55:18 PM »

Committee hearings have been scheduled by the Health, Education, Labor, and Pensions Committee for Cardona (2/3 at 10am) and Walsh (2/4 at 10am), so does that mean that the organizing resolution is expected to be done by Monday or Tuesday?

I would assume that this means that a new chairman (Murray, presumably) is slated to be in place by then, yes.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2021, 10:19:13 AM »

So I guess both Mayorkas and Buttigieg will end up being confirmed on Tuesday.

Huh. Any chance that means they vote on the OR today instead?
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2021, 11:45:40 AM »

Biden is reportedly considering choosing former Disney CEO Bob Iger to be U.S. Ambassador to China. That would be a completely insane and stupid decision. Hopefully, those rumors/speculation aren't true.

It would basically confirm many people's fears that Biden is "Beijing Biden" and that he is going to be "soft" on China. It would also be terrible optics in general. Some parts of 2020's live-action Mulan remake were filmed in Xinjiang - the same province in which the Uyghurs are being held in concretion camps.

Disney (like most major companies) are completely silent on the Chinese government's authoritarian abuses because they don't want to lose access to the growing Chinese consumer market & moviegoing audience - which makes them a ton of money.

I mean on top of all of that--all of which is true--I also just don't feel like random CEOs with no diplomatic or foreign policy experience whatsoever should be ambassadors to emerging superpowers.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2021, 12:21:40 PM »

ButtiPete was just confirmed by the Senate as Minister for Transportation !

What was the vote?
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2021, 12:25:02 PM »

Still in progress, currently it’s 68-7 in his favour.

So he'll probably surpass Blinken at this rate, maybe Haines and Yellen too?
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2021, 12:27:01 PM »

Good that Pete is going to be confirmed with a bipartisan vote, but I am much more interested in Mayorkas' numbers. With that said, anyone hear anything about the organizing resolution?

Apparently Bernie expects the OR to be passed at some point today.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2021, 12:30:19 PM »

Klob votes aye.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2021, 01:12:49 PM »

So Lee is no longer a #NeverAnyBidenNominee vote. Guess my prediction about Hawley was correct.

Interesting that (unless I'm missing someone) all of the Senate's Mormons voted to confirm the first openly gay Cabinet secretary.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2021, 01:31:24 PM »

Austin.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2021, 08:58:19 AM »

Barring some big revelation, the Dems should muscle through Haaland and Tanden if any serious opposition is put up.

They will.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2021, 01:30:38 PM »

Austin - Defence:

Huh Austin was confirmed 93-2. Are you counting Senators who didn't vote as Nays?
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2021, 09:41:07 AM »
« Edited: February 05, 2021, 09:51:10 AM by Away, haul away, we'll haul away, Joe! »

The Fudge and Haaland nominations being held up for a few weeks might be a blessing in disguise in terms of Pelosi shepherding the budget bill through the narrow House majority. Hopefully they can still get committee votes on everyone sooner rather than later, though.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies