Official 2022 Congressional Election Results Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 07:14:49 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Official 2022 Congressional Election Results Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 546 547 548 549 550 [551] 552 553 554 555 556 557
Author Topic: Official 2022 Congressional Election Results Thread  (Read 284012 times)
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #13750 on: December 03, 2022, 09:23:29 AM »

It's going to feel so great shoving this in the face of every smug conservative who insisted that 'nobody cared about Jan. 6."

Agree. Or those who act like Jan 6 wasn't an armed insurrection. These people are morons with a lot of hatred for America, and I can't wait to point out how they lost yet another election after claiming democracy wasn't under direct attack by their political party.

Republicans have a lot to answer for and voters are making them face that.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #13751 on: December 03, 2022, 03:44:52 PM »

Approximately 45% of the total 2022 vote was cast early.  This is almost exactly on trend with the gradual increase seen from 2010-14-18.  Strongly suggests that the 70% cast early in 2020 was a one-time thing. 

I wonder where it will stabilize?  Perhaps around 50%. There are now only a handful of states left that haven't adopted some form of no-excuse EV.  It's also notable that California (>12% of the US population) going primarily VBM didn't shift us above the long term trend at all. 
rbt48

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #13752 on: December 03, 2022, 05:55:52 PM »

I would welcome insight into the voter turnout comparing California CD-13 with Colorado CD-3.

It looks like just over 325,000 votes were cast in Colorado CD-3 and around 133,000 votes were cast in California CD-13.  CA CD-13 was generally felt to be a toss-up district while CO CD-3 was likely or safe Republican.  

According to the 2020 census, the average California CD had about 760,350 residents while the average Colorado CD had around 721,714 residents.  

So why were more than 2.4 times as many votes cast in Colorado CD-3 than in California CD-13?   Perhaps one can argue that Boebert's extreme positions and statements drew many more voters out, but there must be more at play here.  I haven't taken the time to compare all California CD turnouts with the same for Colorado (or other states), but I imagine that the California vote totals lag behind several states.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #13753 on: December 03, 2022, 06:37:22 PM »

I would welcome insight into the voter turnout comparing California CD-13 with Colorado CD-3.

It looks like just over 325,000 votes were cast in Colorado CD-3 and around 133,000 votes were cast in California CD-13.  CA CD-13 was generally felt to be a toss-up district while CO CD-3 was likely or safe Republican.  

According to the 2020 census, the average California CD had about 760,350 residents while the average Colorado CD had around 721,714 residents.  

So why were more than 2.4 times as many votes cast in Colorado CD-3 than in California CD-13?   Perhaps one can argue that Boebert's extreme positions and statements drew many more voters out, but there must be more at play here.  I haven't taken the time to compare all California CD turnouts with the same for Colorado (or other states), but I imagine that the California vote totals lag behind several states.

The Central Valley of CA is known for its very low turnout.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13754 on: December 03, 2022, 06:52:12 PM »

A non-minute share of the population is ineligible to vote on basis of lack of citizenship, another large share of the population is ineligible to vote on basis of age, and many are just not interested in voting even if they are eligible. In places like the Central Valley, these three groups, put together, add up to a pretty huge share of the population when combined.
Interlocutor is just not there yet
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.04

« Reply #13755 on: December 03, 2022, 10:09:06 PM »
« Edited: December 04, 2022, 12:44:35 AM by Interlocutor »

To piggyback, the vote gap was bigger between neighboring CA-22 and CO-3. Around 101,600 votes in CA-22, or 3.2 times as many votes in Colorado's 3rd.

It's not apples to oranges, but in 2014, around 281,000 votes were cast in Colorado's 3rd. Valadao's district of California's 21st? 79,000 votes!

Since 2012, the difference between Colorado's third and the Merced/Valadao districts in California have typically averaged 2.4x and 3x as many votes respectively. In fact, the only elections where it was less than a 3x difference between CO-3 and CA-21 were 2016 (2.8x) and 2020 (2.5x)
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #13756 on: December 05, 2022, 02:08:13 PM »

Has anyone noted that Democrats will now control every House seat that borders the Pacific Coast?  The pickups in AK-AL and WA-03 ensure it, I think
Spectator
United States

« Reply #13757 on: December 05, 2022, 02:09:36 PM »

Has anyone noted that Democrats will now control every House seat that borders the Pacific Coast?  The pickups in AK-AL and WA-03 ensure it, I think

Yeah, it's been noted. First time in history too, at least if you go by Alaska statehood.
Kamala's side hoe
khuzifenq
YaBB God
United States

P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #13758 on: December 05, 2022, 02:29:46 PM »

Quote from: AAD
Very rough congressional vote by county map with no shading because I'm lazy. 

• North/South Dakota only had a Independent/Libertarian, on the ballot but it's pretty clear they performed the same as Generic D would.
  • Alaska and ME-02 are very rough estimates due to me not being sure how to calculate RCV. Doesn't help that neither state reports it's elections at the county level. 
  • MT-02 had a vote split between a Dem and a well-funded center-left independent, allowing Rosendale to carry the counties in pink with a small plurality. 
  • Dems would have carried Maricopa if not for both Gosar and Lesko running completely unopposed. Possible similar story with Williamson county TX, which Beto narrowly lost but had John Carter unopposed in TX31. 
  • Derek Kilmer lost Grays Harbor by only about 100 votes, and Mason by a little bit more. I kept waiting to see if this would flip with late ballots for the sake of a prettier map, but sadly it didn't happen. 

D Riverside County but R San Bernardino County seems like the inverse of recent presidential results.

A bit disappointing to see OK all red, guess it's the counterpart of MA?

Kaptur didn't win Wood?
She won the portion that's in her district, but the countywide vote was slightly R leaning due to Bob Latta carrying the rest by a wide margin.

For an opposite example, Elaine Luria lost the Chesapeake county of her district but the countywide vote was still Democratic due to the margin in the VA-03 portion.
Spectator
United States

« Reply #13759 on: December 05, 2022, 02:31:42 PM »

Jared Golden won Oxford County and Penobscot County.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #13760 on: December 05, 2022, 03:02:59 PM »

CA-13 is such a bad one. Reps had no business winning them, another flop from CA dems for that one. Gray was a good candidate too.
M0096
Rookie
Poland

« Reply #13761 on: December 05, 2022, 03:04:39 PM »

Yeah, it's been noted. First time in history too, at least if you go by Alaska statehood.

Also the first time since Washington statehood. The last time it happened was before 1860 elections.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #13762 on: December 05, 2022, 03:21:31 PM »

prag_prog
United States

« Reply #13763 on: December 05, 2022, 03:43:58 PM »

So looks like Gabe Vasquez won NM02 despite Grisham narrowly losing it..not sure whether it says more about Herrel being a weak incumbent or Vasquez being a strong candidate
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #13764 on: December 05, 2022, 04:13:50 PM »

So looks like Gabe Vasquez won NM02 despite Grisham narrowly losing it..not sure whether it says more about Herrel being a weak incumbent or Vasquez being a strong candidate

MTE, though didn't Herrel outrun Trump in 2020? Maybe the election denier stuff actually did hurt her.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #13765 on: December 05, 2022, 04:17:54 PM »

Huh.. well despite the CA Dems flopping in congressional districts, the CA GOP had little other good news.

Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #13766 on: December 05, 2022, 04:21:14 PM »

Huh.. well despite the CA Dems flopping in congressional districts, the CA GOP had little other good news.

Wbrooks do you know Marriage Equally came after Eday that was the Collins plan to delay the Marriage Equally bill until after Eday CA is pro SSM of it passed before Eday we would of won the H with pickups in CA and NY especially since Sean Patrick Murphy is gay, just like Collins strategically Filibuster the Voting Rights Act she is a moderate but still a partisan

Now that Marriage equality passes it has an effect on KY Gov, NC Gov and GA SEN we will win all three race the transgender bathroom bill was unpopular I'm NC that's why Cooper won
RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.26

« Reply #13767 on: December 05, 2022, 04:24:11 PM »

MTE, though didn't Herrel outrun Trump in 2020? Maybe the election denier stuff actually did hurt her.
Nope. She under ran Trump in 2020 and under ran the top of the ticket in 2018 as well.
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #13768 on: December 05, 2022, 08:13:21 PM »

"California Democrats peaked in 2018"
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #13769 on: December 05, 2022, 08:22:25 PM »

"California Democrats peaked in 2018"

SSM had a lot to do with Ds not gaining more seats in the H, the Ds delayed the vote thanks to Collins until after Eday that's why Ds failed to maintain the H Sean Patrick Murphy was gay and Cali is a SSM system State Ds did fine but not good enough in NY or Cali in the H

Feinstein on the ballot with Biden and Gillibrand can max out votes in 24, we only n Ed 5 seats
ottermax
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -6.09

P P
« Reply #13770 on: December 05, 2022, 08:28:08 PM »

D Riverside County but R San Bernardino County seems like the inverse of recent presidential results.

San Bernardino County is a bit more Latino than Riverside County and didn't have any competitive house elections while Riverside had at least one competitive race.
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #13771 on: December 05, 2022, 08:53:36 PM »
« Edited: December 05, 2022, 09:41:58 PM by Interlocutor »

Along with the aforementioned low turnout;

1. Both counties have gone blue in presidential elections since 2008. San Bernardino County typically votes to the left of Riverside, although the gap has been shrinking since 2016. Doing the math for this year, the congressional vote margin was around 2% which would be on the closer end of things.

2. Before this year, the last time Riverside voted left of San Bernardino in a Gubernatorial/Presidential race was 2014. Interestingly, the turnout gap was nearly identical for both years (Riverside+5.8 vs Riverside+5.7 in 2014).

3. As mentioned before, the more-competitive CA-41 takes up a big chunk of Riverside's congressional vote while San Bernardino County has nothing of the short (CA-40 was only 4% of their congressional vote).

If migration & voting trends continue, it wouldn't shock me if Riverside County consistently votes to the left of San Bernardino throughout the decade.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #13772 on: December 05, 2022, 09:43:38 PM »

An odd result if crime issues were what did in Dem congressional candidates. You'd think local/state candidates would do worse than federal ones.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #13773 on: December 06, 2022, 03:40:12 AM »

It'd be nice if they did something to help the people with their massive majorities. The cost of housing and the cost of living keeps increasing evermore. I don't want Gavin Newsom anywhere near the White House either. He couldn't even clear 60% of the vote. At the state level, the Democratic Party is a nightmare. All that happens is more regulation and strange laws that most people wouldn't even think of. The California Democratic Party is not a model for the rest of the country (at least not until it removes its head from its own ass).
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #13774 on: December 06, 2022, 11:24:41 AM »

This is a good summary of what happened in the House, and the quite uneven swings that ended up to be a red ripple net. I live in one of the two metro NYC CD's that did not swing to the Pubs. I was satisfied that the son was not the Dad (whom I would never vote for unless his opponent were named Trump), and I don't believe in blood libel.

https://elections-daily.com/2022/12/05/republicans-ride-inconsistent-house-swings-to-a-majority/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=the_closing_mail_from_georgia&utm_term=2022-12-06
Pages: 1 ... 546 547 548 549 550 [551] 552 553 554 555 556 557  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies