Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 04:50:46 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread (search mode)
Thread note
ATTENTION: Please note that copyright rules still apply to posts in this thread. You cannot post entire articles verbatim. Please select only a couple paragraphs or snippets that highlights the point of what you are posting.

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread  (Read 916845 times)
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -5.61, S: -1.96

« on: February 14, 2022, 06:29:52 AM »
« edited: February 14, 2022, 06:33:53 AM by Clarko95 📚💰📈 »

Emergency press conference called with PM Andersson and the highest general in the Swedish army 👀

Sweden is seriously preparing for a conflict with Russia and preparing for Ukrainian refugees

Congratulations to Putin, on probably causing Sweden and Finland to reopen NATO ascension talks,  after already triggering a major military buildup in both countries since 2014
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2022, 04:25:15 PM »

I am trying to find more official sources but:

1.) apparently a good number of Finnish MPs, even from the left of the political spectrum, now want in on NATO

2.) Sweden and Finland will have a meeting with NATO tomorrow
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2022, 07:51:13 AM »
« Edited: February 27, 2022, 08:00:11 AM by Clarko95 📚💰📈 »

Historic speech by Olaf Scholz. Germany completely changes its defense policy. It sounded like he would invest 100 billion EURO right here and now in military equipment and from now on spend at least 2% of GDP yearly on defense. This will furthermore have a ripple effect in that other NATO countries - like my own - have been hiding behind Germany in not spending the 2%. That will almost certainly change now.

This could actually be a real turning point. It could also signal a new world order where democratic Europe rises from the pathetic depence on the United States.

lol okay so even Die Linke applauded Scholz's announcement. DIE LINKE. They also admitted openly in their parliamentary speech that they never expected Russia to do this, and how they were wrong on Russia. Putin has so catastrophically f**ked up.

Also, just to add some more details to this announcement:

- the annual defense budget will be increased to 2% of GDP, or approximately an additional 22 billion EUR per year, by 2024
- 100 billion EUR to be invested in R&D, equipment, ammunition, upgrades etc. mostly to ensure that the effect of the budget does no longer translate to obsolete gear.
- to put this into perspective, the Bundeswehr in 2021 budgeted 10 billion on equipment procurement and R&D, with a total budget of 47 billion
- NordStream 2 is dead
- Germany will directly arm Ukraine
- European military production will be invested in, in order to become more independent. Heavy cooperation with France is expected
- investing in LNG shipping terminals to diversify away from Russian gas
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2022, 01:08:07 PM »

Second Great Northern War when?

Finland will be ours again!!!!
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2022, 04:17:08 PM »

I'll be real honest, while Putin has brought this upon his forces and himself, i can't help but be unnerved by the huge amount of major weapons NATO+allies are supplying both directly and openly.

Kinda freaks me out to think where the Russian perspective crosses the line from "Ukrainians are using some NATO weapons against us" to "NATO is basically at war with us"

Also perhaps this is just from me working in a bank, but i'm withdrawing 200 Euros tomorrow in smaller bills tomorrow. I would not be surprised if cyber attacks start this week.

I hope i am just overreacting here as i usually do.
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2022, 06:17:41 AM »
« Edited: March 01, 2022, 07:13:09 AM by Clarko95 📚💰📈 »

What is happening now in Ukraine is the genocide of the Ukrainian people. If we talk about me, everything is calm in my region, except for the shelling of military units. I have now signed up for territorial defense and am preparing to defend my country

I am sorry to bring this up, but in the event that the worst happens to you, is there a way for those of us who can help to keep track of your family? Are they with family in the Ukraine or elsewhere?

You have a wife and two children, correct? In the event that they make it to Germany, my apartment is too small for them, but i would be happy to keep in touch with them and support them in any way possible, and I'm sure others here would be glad to help (financially, material-wise, network, etc.).

EDIT - sent PM with personal contact details
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2022, 12:56:57 PM »

Swedish Prime Minister Magdalena Andersson will hold an extraordinary speech to the nation at 20:00 CET.

It will be about the Russian invasion of Ukraine. Whether she will tell some breaking news? We will see...
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2022, 02:10:25 PM »

Swedish Prime Minister Magdalena Andersson will hold an extraordinary speech to the nation at 20:00 CET.

It will be about the Russian invasion of Ukraine. Whether she will tell some breaking news? We will see...

Okay so this ended up being absolutely nothing, wow
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2022, 06:51:06 PM »
« Edited: March 01, 2022, 06:54:54 PM by Clarko95 📚💰📈 »

Copy+pasting the messages of a 20 year old from Russia whom i am in a SocDem Discord with (unrelated to Atlas):

I feel like sh**t, our family is packing bags and leaving, we might not come back. Rumors are going around about ban on travel for 18-55 men, so everyone is packing and leaving. god im so f-ing scared

He is flying to Istanbul and then going to try to reach relatives in France. I'm sure the projected economic recession (depression?) plays a big role in this but if many young Russian men and possibly also their families try to avoid a draft by fleeing, then we could see a RUSSIAN refugee crisis as well.
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2022, 07:01:36 PM »

Copy+pasting the messages of a 20 year old from Russia whom i am in a SocDem Discord with (unrelated to Atlas):

I feel like sh**t, our family is packing bags and leaving, we might not come back. Rumors are going around about ban on travel for 18-55 men, so everyone is packing and leaving. god im so ing scared

He is flying to Istanbul and then going to try to reach relatives in France. I'm sure the projected economic recession (depression?) plays a big role in this but if many young Russian men and possibly also their families try to avoid a draft by fleeing, then we could see a RUSSIAN refugee crisis as well.

What makes you think the EU will accept Russian civilians?

Honestly, I'm expecting a wave of unjustified Russophobia, certainly not an open-door policy.

Never said i thought that. You can still have a refugee crisis even with the door slammed shut. Europe stopped caring about refugees in 2018, doesn't mean there isn't a crisis still ongoing
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2022, 06:28:41 PM »

Four Russian fighter jets violated Swedish airspace today over Gotland; Sweden scrambled fighter jets in return.

Russia/the USSR has a long history of testing Sweden's airforce and navy specifically; in 2013 Russian nuclear bombers flying to Kaliningrad suddenly veered west and simulated a nuclear attack on Stockholm.
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2022, 05:17:58 PM »

Night 5 tonight. Do we have estimates of damage and civilian casualties in Kyiv? It's not yet at Grozny levels, is it? How much of the city has been captured? They're still mostly in the suburbs, right?

Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2022, 10:13:20 AM »

Sweden Democrats just did a u-turn and now support NATO membership. There is now a pro-NATO majority in Parliament, with all the Alliance parties + SD.
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2022, 08:12:52 AM »

Sweden and Finland have announced that they will immediately deepen their military cooperation

So I guess it basically means, an attack on Finland is an attack on Sweden and vice versa
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2022, 01:57:45 PM »

Sweden has agreed to send 120 military advisors to support Ukraine with training 🇸🇪 ❤️ 🇺🇦
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2022, 01:11:27 PM »

Sweden has agreed to send 120 military advisors to support Ukraine with training 🇸🇪 ❤️ 🇺🇦

To the UK, not Ukraine.

I stand corrected! They are going to the UK to train Ukrainians there. Thank you Smiley
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2022, 02:47:43 PM »

Not related to the actual war but to the bidding war for Russian talent that is fleeing the country:

Since I got promoted to corporate treasury last September, I am the one who initiates manual payments for new hires when we have to pay for their visas, plane tickets, apartment deposits + rents, etc. and we have hired at least 25 people from Belarus and Russia since March, mostly engineers and IT people, plus some of their family members. Every month we get several more requests from our HR department.

We are just a medium-sized securities trading bank operating only in the Eurozone; I can only imagine that the bigger tech companies are having an absolute field day with hiring talented people out of Russia and Belarus.
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2022, 05:27:07 AM »

That video of the girl on a walk and just barely surviving a missile strike....man what the f-k
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2022, 09:42:07 AM »

Copied from Handelsblatt:

The sanctions of the G7 industrialized countries are putting increasing pressure on Russian oil exports. According to data from the financial service Bloomberg and the think tank Bruegel, the volume of oil exports has fallen by 54 percent to about 1.6 million barrels a day since the introduction of an embargo on Russian crude oil.

On December 5, an EU embargo on Russian oil shipments by sea and a price cap came into effect. The data suggests that Russia is finding it increasingly difficult to divert crude oil originally destined for Europe to Asia. A month ago, European ports were still receiving 1.43 million barrels of Russian oil per day. In mid-December it was still 450,000 barrels per day – and the trend is falling.

Shame it took this long but progress is progress.
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2023, 04:47:07 PM »

German tanks roll into Eastern Europe in the 20th century: Libs freak out

German tanks roll into Eastern Europe in the 21st century: Libs celebrate

Watch the liberal media try to convince us these situations are different
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2023, 07:33:21 PM »

Exactly 16 months ago at this very time we were watching the opening salvos of Russia's invasion of Ukraine. And now we might be seeing the end of it.
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2023, 12:48:27 PM »

HuhHuhHuhHuh?

"We're launching a coup because you tried to kill us"

*several hours later*

"Jokes, everything is fine now, back to normal for some reason"
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2024, 02:16:22 PM »

Natural gas prices are dropping so low in Europe right now, I've been given an offer for a 2-year contract for just €36 per month.

For comparison, the contract I signed in July 2021 had me pay €46 per month, then the next two-year contract required €82 per month in 2022, and €71 in 2023.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies