Why don't Asians vote Republican?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 09:40:43 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Why don't Asians vote Republican?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Author Topic: Why don't Asians vote Republican?  (Read 32981 times)
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: July 23, 2009, 08:57:47 AM »

far-left, ideological, liberal zealots

Can you stop being stupid, mar plij, and read a book?
DariusNJ

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #51 on: July 23, 2009, 11:02:16 AM »

All I'm saying is that a person should not be hired based on their color or "equal opportunity" crap.  They should be hired because they are good at their job.  Is that so wrong?
<sigh> No, that's not so wrong at all. But probably 90+% of minorities (yes, African-Americans too) would agree with this statement; that's not the reason Republicans get only a tiny sliver of minority votes. It's because Republicans like yourself make it clear that any anti-discrimination legislation is merely--to use your own words--"pandering to their every whim" on "equal opportunity crap". Reread your posts and think about it: why would many minorities want to vote for a party like the GOP that pushes that message?

I'm not trying to pick on you, man, it's just your sentiments are fairly typical from what I've heard from many Republicans. And like most Republicans you don't seem to understand how much minority voters are (justifiably) turned off by it. It's not a matter of terminology or repackaging this message like Michael Steele naively believes, it's about just catching a clue. Your post is indicative of the general Republican misconception that discrimination in employment, housing, etc. mostly disappeared along with segregated water fountains 40 years ago. While paying bare lip service to the fact discrimination still "exists" (kinda like the Siberian Tiger "exists"--damned rare and disappearing quickly) and is a bad thing, the GOP's main focus is that essentially any civil rights legislation is bad because it threatens white people.

Bottom line: As long as the GOP considers any civil rights legislation as "pandering" on "equal opportunity crap", it will never get more than a sliver of the minority vote.

Nor should it.

This.

It's not like minorities are blindly voting for Democrats. A Republican who is moderate on immigration issues, like GWB, could get 40% of the Hispanic vote. Correct me if I'm wrong, but Asians are not overwhelmingly Democratic, maybe 60-40. African Americans are actually very conservative on social issues, but the GOP's rhetoric just pushes them away.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/112807/blacks-conservative-republicans-some-moral-issues.aspx
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #52 on: July 23, 2009, 11:12:40 AM »

Back to the topic thread....

Don't forget economics as a big part for more recent Asian immigrants. While the stereotype of East Asian immigrants maybe be the Filipino daughter of a doctor who's an honor roll student or the South Vietnamese anticommunist ex-army officer who now owns several convenience stores in Cali, recent immigrant communities of Cambodians, Vietnamese, the Hmong, and even the Chinese have major problems with unemployment, poverty, discrimination, drugs, gang violence and urban ghettoization that rival anything we typically think of in the African-American or Hispanic 'hood'.

It's no surprise these communities currently vote overwhelmingly Democratic for the same reasons as African-Americans and more recent Hispanic immigrants, and are quickly growing in number. Consider the Twin Cities in MN with one of the largest Hmong populations which IIRC, just elected their first Hmong state senator.

Well, Vietnamese vote Republican, but anyway...

(Actually, I don't know if recent Vietnamese immigrants vote Republican. There may be a divide between those who fled Vietnam during/after the war and those who immigrate now.)
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #53 on: July 23, 2009, 01:17:44 PM »

Don't forget economics as a big part for more recent Asian immigrants. While the stereotype of East Asian immigrants maybe be the Filipino daughter of a doctor who's an honor roll student or the South Vietnamese anticommunist ex-army officer who now owns several convenience stores in Cali, recent immigrant communities of Cambodians, Vietnamese, the Hmong, and even the Chinese have major problems with unemployment, poverty, discrimination, drugs, gang violence and urban ghettoization that rival anything we typically think of in the African-American or Hispanic 'hood'.

It's no surprise these communities currently vote overwhelmingly Democratic for the same reasons as African-Americans and more recent Hispanic immigrants, and are quickly growing in number. Consider the Twin Cities in MN with one of the largest Hmong populations which IIRC, just elected their first Hmong state senator.

(Actually, I don't know if recent Vietnamese immigrants vote Republican. There may be a divide between those who fled Vietnam during/after the war and those who immigrate now.)

There is, and there is also a divide between the war refugees and their children. In a vote in San Jose in March, the hardliners were defeated 55-45.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #54 on: July 23, 2009, 01:34:50 PM »

Significant divide, IIRC. Original refugees were relatively wealthy/middle class, many strong Catholics, and virulently anti-Communist. Later day refugees vote Democratic largely for the same economic reasons recent Hispanic immigrants do.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #55 on: July 23, 2009, 04:54:31 PM »

All I'm saying is that a person should not be hired based on their color or "equal opportunity" crap.  They should be hired because they are good at their job.  Is that so wrong?

Should someone be denied a job simply because they are a minority or should we have laws in place that make sure that kind of discrimination doesn't happen?
FloridaRepublican
justrhyno
United States

« Reply #56 on: July 23, 2009, 05:24:40 PM »

Should someone be denied a job simply because they are a minority or should we have laws in place that make sure that kind of discrimination doesn't happen?

Good lord.  You're misinterpreting what I'm saying.  I'm not saying that I would deny a minority a job, as long as they have the skill to actually DO the job.  And if that makes me a racist then so be it.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #57 on: July 23, 2009, 05:32:08 PM »

Good lord.  You're misinterpreting what I'm saying.  I'm not saying that I would deny a minority a job, as long as they have the skill to actually DO the job.  And if that makes me a racist then so be it.

I'm not talking about what you would personally do.  I'm asking you if you think employers should be able to discriminate on someone and not hire them for no other reason than they are a minority or do you think we should have laws in place to prevent this from happening?
JerryBrown2010
KyleGordon2016
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.68, S: -9.30

« Reply #58 on: July 23, 2009, 05:58:27 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Because they're smart enough to think what a republican presidency will do to this country.
FloridaRepublican
justrhyno
United States

« Reply #59 on: July 23, 2009, 07:45:01 PM »

I'm not talking about what you would personally do.  I'm asking you if you think employers should be able to discriminate on someone and not hire them for no other reason than they are a minority or do you think we should have laws in place to prevent this from happening?

NO I don't think employers should be able to discriminate and not hire someone because they're a minority and YES we should have laws in place to prevent this from happening and we DO have laws preventing this from happening.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #60 on: July 23, 2009, 08:02:43 PM »

NO I don't think employers should be able to discriminate and not hire someone because they're a minority and YES we should have laws in place to prevent this from happening and we DO have laws preventing this from happening.

Yes, and Republicans have generally rallied against these laws and other such legislation.   Is it starting to make more sense why minorities don't trust Republicans?
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: -5.13

« Reply #61 on: July 23, 2009, 09:35:49 PM »

Yes, the same Republicans who put the Civil Rights Act of 1964 into law.
FloridaRepublican
justrhyno
United States

« Reply #62 on: July 23, 2009, 10:16:16 PM »

Good point.  Nobody ever acknowledged that.
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #63 on: July 24, 2009, 01:03:55 AM »

Which was signed by Lyndon Johnson, a Democratic President.  It's widely known that during the 1960s the two parties switched positions on those issues.  The party of Lincoln is long gone.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #64 on: July 24, 2009, 01:15:51 AM »

Which was signed by Lyndon Johnson, a Democratic President.  It's widely known that during the 1960s the two parties switched positions on those issues.  The party of Lincoln is long gone.

Yup, the solid south had a bunch of racist Democrats, who are now all Republicans.

Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #65 on: July 24, 2009, 09:30:59 AM »

While Goldwater, running for President as a Republican at the time of the passage of the Civil Rights Act, vehemently opposed it. Granted, that was for reasons other than racism, but it would have been difficult to be more tone-deaf on the issue.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #66 on: July 24, 2009, 01:15:41 PM »

Yes, and then after LBJ signed it, the Democrats lost the south and the Republicans jumped on the "Southern Strategy"
SamInTheSouth

« Reply #67 on: July 24, 2009, 09:06:59 PM »

How many African American Republicans are serving in Congress? None.

How many Hispanic/Latino Republicans are serving in Congress? Four, I think, and they're Cuban Americans and some have said that they don't really qualify as real Latinos. (Ileana Ros-Lehtinen, the Diaz-Balart brothers, and Mel Martinez).

How many Asian American Republicans are serving in Congress? One (Joseph Cao - and he'll be gone in 2010).

How many Native American Republicans are serving in Congress? None. 

How many women are Republicans are in Congress? 21 (out of 91) in both the House (17/74) and Senate (4/17).

How many Jewish Republicans in Congress are there? One (Eric Cantor).

How many LGBT Republicans in Congress are there? None.

Yeah I wouldn't exactly call the Republicans the party of the minorities but more so the party of old angry white men. Republicans don't necessarily hate minorities (aside from homosexuals); they just, well, how do I put this diplomatically, don't tolerate differences?

Isn't David Dreier gay?

As for the Republicans' poor showing with minorities, I would argue that it has more to do with their resistance to social programs, class warfare, and their lack of pandering to minority groups. 
SamInTheSouth

« Reply #68 on: July 24, 2009, 09:11:08 PM »

Bush the first wasn't trying to point out that the guy was black.  In fact, it had nothing to do with the fact that he was black.  The commercial was just to state both Bush's and Dukakis's position on the death penalty and how Dukakis gave first degree murderers weekend passes.  Everyone out west and up north automatically assume that people from down south are reactionary, bible-thumping, minority-hating white people and I'm sick of it.

LOL.  Yes, the irony in that is they exercise and put on display their own ignorance in trying to paint all of us as ignorant.
FloridaRepublican
justrhyno
United States

« Reply #69 on: July 24, 2009, 09:16:08 PM »

How many Hispanic/Latino Republicans are serving in Congress? Four, I think, and they're Cuban Americans and some have said that they don't really qualify as real Latinos. (Ileana Ros-Lehtinen, the Diaz-Balart brothers, and Mel Martinez).

How many Asian American Republicans are serving in Congress? One (Joseph Cao - and he'll be gone in 2010).

How many women are Republicans are in Congress? 21 (out of 91) in both the House (17/74) and Senate (4/17).

Yeah I wouldn't exactly call the Republicans the party of the minorities but more so the party of old angry white men. Republicans don't necessarily hate minorities (aside from homosexuals); they just, well, how do I put this diplomatically, don't tolerate differences?

Isn't David Dreier gay?

As for the Republicans' poor showing with minorities, I would argue that it has more to do with their resistance to social programs, class warfare, and their lack of pandering to minority groups. 

Absolutely.  I forgot about the republican opposition to social programs.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #70 on: July 24, 2009, 09:39:53 PM »

Isn't David Dreier gay?

Not openly, which is really what matters. In fact, there might be more closeted Republican members of Congress than gay Democrats. But there are (probably) no closeted Democrats, which is really what matters. (That is, a GOP electorate would not nominate/elect an openly gay person, but a Democratic electorate would.)

You must be logged in to read this quote.

If that were the case, surely Republicans would do much better among Asians and Jews, who  are generally as well or better off than the average non-Jewish white person and certainly do not benefit particularly from "social programs, class warfare, and ... pandering to minority groups."
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #71 on: July 25, 2009, 12:10:12 AM »

And none of the Civil Rights Act stuff has any bearing on how Asians vote today.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #72 on: July 25, 2009, 12:15:40 AM »

And none of the Civil Rights Act stuff has any bearing on how Asians vote today.

Very true, that got a bit OT into minorities in general.

Southern Evangelicalism of the Republican Party combined with economic interests that revolve around major urban and suburban areas (where the Asian population is concentrated) along with the overall attitude many in the GOP have towards public education (as well as trying to shovel Creationism into a Science classroom) = Asians not voting Republican.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #73 on: July 25, 2009, 12:17:17 AM »

There are two main reasons. The first is, of course, Republican nativism, and the second is conformism (see Hawaii's pro-incumbent bias). Asians tend to live among rich white liberals.
ottermax
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -6.09

P P
« Reply #74 on: July 25, 2009, 04:51:50 PM »

Asians are the most highly educated ethnic group in the country. And there is a strong correlation between higher degrees and Democratic voting. The main Asian population areas are in the Bay Area, SoCal, Seattle Metro, and New York. They are mostly hired in hi-tech positions and largely are newer immigrants. Many 1st gen. Asians are somewhat more socially conservative, but Republicans are not the party of immigrants. Generally the 2nd gen. Asians are then raised in progressive environments in cities like those listed above. Thus they are liberal by osmosis.

Hawai'i is just weird because most Asians are not recent immigrants there. But the same dynamics of urban voting are seen there.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies