Why don't Asians vote Republican?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 07:06:10 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Why don't Asians vote Republican?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6
Author Topic: Why don't Asians vote Republican?  (Read 32803 times)
musicfan41
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 20, 2009, 09:45:11 AM »

Discuss.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2009, 01:56:29 PM »

Already have a thread on the subject.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2009, 06:47:14 PM »

For the same reason that Black, Latinos and Natives don't vote Republican : because GOP hates minorities and clearly make it understand.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2009, 07:09:50 PM »

For the same reason that Black, Latinos and Natives don't vote Republican : because GOP hates minorities and clearly make it understand.

ummm, are you just playing a game or are you really that brainwashed?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2009, 07:14:37 PM »

No comment.
FloridaRepublican
justrhyno
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2009, 07:28:45 PM »

No comment.

Wow.  Republicans hate minorities?  And how so, Antonio?
HAnnA MArin County
semocrat08
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2009, 07:53:15 PM »
« Edited: July 20, 2009, 07:58:40 PM by semocrat08 »

How many African American Republicans are serving in Congress? None.

How many Hispanic/Latino Republicans are serving in Congress? Four, I think, and they're Cuban Americans and some have said that they don't really qualify as real Latinos. (Ileana Ros-Lehtinen, the Diaz-Balart brothers, and Mel Martinez).

How many Asian American Republicans are serving in Congress? One (Joseph Cao - and he'll be gone in 2010).

How many Native American Republicans are serving in Congress? None. 

How many women are Republicans are in Congress? 21 (out of 91) in both the House (17/74) and Senate (4/17).

How many Jewish Republicans in Congress are there? One (Eric Cantor).

How many LGBT Republicans in Congress are there? None.

Yeah I wouldn't exactly call the Republicans the party of the minorities but more so the party of old angry white men. Republicans don't necessarily hate minorities (aside from homosexuals); they just, well, how do I put this diplomatically, don't tolerate differences?
FloridaRepublican
justrhyno
United States

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2009, 08:04:10 PM »

How many Hispanic/Latino Republicans are serving in Congress? Four, I think, and they're Cuban Americans and some have said that they don't really qualify as real Latinos. (Ileana Ros-Lehtinen, the Diaz-Balart brothers, and Mel Martinez).

How many Asian American Republicans are serving in Congress? One (Joseph Cao - and he'll be gone in 2010).

How many women are Republicans are in Congress? 21 (out of 91) in both the House (17/74) and Senate (4/17).

Yeah I wouldn't exactly call the Republicans the party of the minorities but more so the party of old angry white men. Republicans don't necessarily hate minorities (aside from homosexuals); they just, well, how do I put this diplomatically, don't tolerate differences?

Minorities only like the Democratic Party because the Democratic Party panders to them and they believe in affirmative action instead of hiring a person based on their skill.  The Republicans are not very popular with minorities because the Republicans don't pander to their every whim.
Padfoot
padfoot714
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -6.96

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2009, 08:25:15 PM »

Minorities only like the Democratic Party because the Democratic Party panders to them and they believe in affirmative action instead of hiring a person based on their skill.  The Republicans are not very popular with minorities because the Republicans don't pander to their every whim.

True, the only problem is that in supporting that position the Republican Party also panders to a base of voters who would like to use skin color as a reason not to hire someone.  A very large and vociferous portion of the Republican base consists of people who use terms like "real America" when talking about lily white rural communities and question the citizenship of a man whose mother was born in Kansas and whose grandfather served in the US army during WWII. 

So, I don't see why its a mystery that minority voters prefer not to align themselves with a party whose supporters are offended by the very presence of minorities in this country.  Until the Republican Party base becomes more tolerant, minorities will continue to vote with the Democrats.  

Stealing the South from the Democrats turned out to be a brilliant short-term strategy for the GOP when LBJ ended the Democratic alliance with Jim Crow.  Now, its coming back to bite the Republicans in the ass.
FloridaRepublican
justrhyno
United States

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2009, 08:34:22 PM »

True, the only problem is that in supporting that position the Republican Party also panders to a base of voters who would like to use skin color as a reason not to hire someone.  A very large and vociferous portion of the Republican base consists of people who use terms like "real America" when talking about lily white rural communities and question the citizenship of a man whose mother was born in Kansas and whose grandfather served in the US army during WWII. 

So, I don't see why its a mystery that minority voters prefer not to align themselves with a party whose supporters are offended by the very presence of minorities in this country.  Until the Republican Party base becomes more tolerant, minorities will continue to vote with the Democrats.  

Stealing the South from the Democrats turned out to be a brilliant short-term strategy for the GOP when LBJ ended the Democratic alliance with Jim Crow.  Now, its coming back to bite the Republicans in the ass.

I would disagree with you when you say that the Republican Party uses skin color as a reason not to hire someone.  Those would only be the ultra-conservative reactionists.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2009, 09:23:46 PM »

True, but that could change, and fast, depending on who the candidates are in congressional elections.

Part of the problem is Republicans are afraid to have a dialogue with these groups. No major Republican candidate went to the debate on black issues. It's not that the GOP politicians are racist, it's that they ignore these groups. Only now are the party elites coming to their senses.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2009, 09:37:57 PM »

The Republicans lost the minority vote on purpose in the 60s in order to win the white southern vote. You see the legacy of that even today. When Sarah Palin says "Barack Obama is not a man who sees America the way you and I do" it's an appeal to mistrust of people who are a different color and have a different background or culture. When Republicans complain about lazy minorities taking welfare money away from hard working American heroes like Joe the Plumber, it's an appeal to those same sentiments. When Republicans say that small rural white towns are the "Real America," that turns off minorities, including Asians.

Asian immigrants value education highly, and as long as the Republicans keep pandering to Evangelicals (yes, Republicans pander too, just to different groups) with things like creationism and school prayer, they will have problems with the East and South Asian vote.

Your point on Affirmative Action is valid when talking about Blacks and Hispanics but not valid with Asians because if anything, affirmative action should help Republicans with the Asian vote, because Affirmative Action hurts Asians badly.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2009, 09:50:21 PM »

The Republicans lost the minority vote on purpose in the 60s in order to win the white southern vote. You see the legacy of that even today. When Sarah Palin says "Barack Obama is not a man who sees America the way you and I do" it's an appeal to mistrust of people who are a different color and have a different background or culture. When Republicans complain about lazy minorities taking welfare money away from hard working American heroes like Joe the Plumber, it's an appeal to those same sentiments. When Republicans say that small rural white towns are the "Real America," that turns off minorities, including Asians.

Asian immigrants value education highly, and as long as the Republicans keep pandering to Evangelicals (yes, Republicans pander too, just to different groups) with things like creationism and school prayer, they will have problems with the East and South Asian vote.

Your point on Affirmative Action is valid when talking about Blacks and Hispanics but not valid with Asians because if anything, affirmative action should help Republicans with the Asian vote, because Affirmative Action hurts Asians badly.

Again, they haven't really been very hostile to minorities of late (save a few far right people), they have just ignored these groups. They don't talk to them, they don't visit areas with lots of minorities.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2009, 10:33:40 PM »

Same reason Jews don't vote GOP: A more communal ethos and a distaste for Christian nationalism.
HAnnA MArin County
semocrat08
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2009, 10:46:50 PM »
« Edited: July 20, 2009, 10:50:30 PM by semocrat08 »

Thank you, Padfoot. That's the point I was trying to get across. I didn't mention affirmative action although I personally am opposed to it at all levels and if that makes me a racist then so be it, but I digress. I'm used to be calling a racist after supporting Hillary - the racist accusation doesn't phase me at all.

Obviously, Hispanics have been voting so Democratic lately because of the hard-line conservative anti-immigration rhetoric coming from the Republican Party, and we have threads on here discussing why Asians and Native Americans vote Democratic as well. The gender gap seems to be back as well, as I think women have moved more towards the Democratic Party again. Jews seem to be an increasing stronghold for Democrats, and I doubt Democrats have to worry about losing the gay community to the Republicans as long as their party is driven by the Bible thumping bigots and homophobic rednecks who like to compare homosexuals to pedophiles and bestiality and incest and other vile things.

(Interestingly enough, and I'm ashamed to say it, but bestiality is actually legal in Missouri but same-sex marriage is not. We're a pretty f_cked up state).
FloridaRepublican
justrhyno
United States

« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2009, 10:49:55 PM »

Thank you, Padfoot. That's the point I was trying to get across. I didn't mention affirmative action although I personally am opposed to it at all levels and if that makes me a racist then so be it, but I digress. I'm used to be calling a racist after supporting Hillary - the racist accusation doesn't phase me at all.

Obviously, Hispanics have been voting so Democratic lately because of the hard-line conservative anti-immigration rhetoric coming from the Republican Party, and we have threads on here discussing why Asians and Native Americans vote Democratic as well. The gender gap seems to be back as well, as I think women have moved more towards the Democratic Party again. Jews seem to be an increasing stronghold for Democrats, and I doubt Democrats have to worry about losing the gay community to the Republicans as long as their party is driven by the Bible thumping bigots and homophobic rednecks who like to compare homosexuals to pedophiles and bestiality and incest and other vile things.

(Interestingly enough, and I'm ashamed to say it, but bestiality is actually legal in Missouri but same-sex marriage is not. We're a pretty ed up state).

Conservatives aren't anti-immigration, they're anti-illegal immigration, as all parties should be.  Is it really that much to ask for a license before voting?  I mean seriously.
HAnnA MArin County
semocrat08
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2009, 10:54:38 PM »

(Interestingly enough, and I'm ashamed to say it, but bestiality is actually legal in Missouri but same-sex marriage is not. We're a pretty ed up state).

Conservatives aren't anti-immigration, they're anti-illegal immigration, as all parties should be.  Is it really that much to ask for a license before voting?  I mean seriously.

Yes, anti-ILLEGAL immigration, thank you.

Would you accept Green cards, or VISAs? Smiley - and by VISAs I don't mean the credit cards lol
FloridaRepublican
justrhyno
United States

« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2009, 11:02:45 PM »

Green cards?  Absolutely.  I'm just not the kinda guy that thinks the poor deserve to live in the same house and have the same luxuries as the rich.  I just think that those who deserve to be there and those who can actually pay for it should have them.  Do I want the poor to stay poor?  Absolutely not.  I want them to work their way up, not waste their life on welfare.
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2009, 02:13:59 AM »

The Republican Party and its affiliates pander to a white, reactionary, right-wing base and stirs up those voters by portraying minorities in a bad light.  There is a long history of this.  There was Nixon's "Southern Strategy" in 1968.  I remember how Bush I used Willie Horton ads against Michael Dukakis in 1988.  And don't get me started at the various comments from the right about Sonia Sotomayor.  Perhaps the lowest point was when an ad said she supported Puerto Rican terrorists.  Jeff Sessions fanned these flames when he said that her affiliation with the Puerto Rican Legal Defense Fund made her "unsuitable for the bench" and claimed the group had taken "shocking" positions with regard to terrorism. 

I take issue with the assumption that an affirmative action hire is less skilled than the supposed (white male) standard.  Sotomayor has more experience as a federal judge than anyone currently serving on the S.C. did at the time of their nomination.  Is she less qualified or "skilled" than Roberts or Alito?

As for the topic at hand, I am Asian and given their treatment of minorities over the years, I view the GOP with contempt.

HAnnA MArin County
semocrat08
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2009, 05:27:53 AM »

The Republican Party and its affiliates pander to a white, reactionary, right-wing base and stirs up those voters by portraying minorities in a bad light.  There is a long history of this.  There was Nixon's "Southern Strategy" in 1968.  I remember how Bush I used Willie Horton ads against Michael Dukakis in 1988.  And don't get me started at the various comments from the right about Sonia Sotomayor.  Perhaps the lowest point was when an ad said she supported Puerto Rican terrorists.  Jeff Sessions fanned these flames when he said that her affiliation with the Puerto Rican Legal Defense Fund made her "unsuitable for the bench" and claimed the group had taken "shocking" positions with regard to terrorism. 

I take issue with the assumption that an affirmative action hire is less skilled than the supposed (white male) standard.  Sotomayor has more experience as a federal judge than anyone currently serving on the S.C. did at the time of their nomination.  Is she less qualified or "skilled" than Roberts or Alito?

As for the topic at hand, I am Asian and given their treatment of minorities over the years, I view the GOP with contempt.

Agree with everything you said about Sonia Sotomayor. The Republicans on the Senate Judiciary Committee were absolutely vile an downright repulsive when they questioned her, especially Jeff Racist Sessions and Lindsey Graham Cracker. They tried to find any gaffe or "oops" in her voting record to portray her as this left-wing liberal judicial activist but I think it's backfired on them. Critics of her nomination like to say that Obama only selected her because she is a Latina. I don't know much about her voting record but I will say that after watching her speak at the hearings, I do believe she is qualified to serve as a Supreme Court justice. I felt sorry for this woman when she was questioned by the Republicans; it was like she was being badgered by them. I almost wanted to rise up and say, "Objection! Badgering the witness."

But yeah, Jeff Sessions should not only be ousted out of office (I deplore the people of Alabama for continuously sending him back to the U.S. Senate) but needs to be removed from the Senate Judiciary Committee as well because he was rejected by the committee when he was nominated to a federal judgeship because they perceived him as a racist (seems like a conflict of interest if you ask me). For him or any of his Republican colleagues to accuse Sotomayor of being a reverse racist (whatever that means) is just a shady and downright pathetic attempt at a defense mechanism meant to conceal their own racism/bigotry/ignorance/hate/intolerance. Did you notice how they kept invoking the name of Miguel Estrada? Hm, wonder why this was.

I see your point, Ogre Mage, as to how insensitive and vicious they are to minorities. Being a minority myself, I view with the GOP with great contempt as well. They seem to only ponder to their base made up of angry old white farts, Corporate America and the Bible thumpers and all the hicks and rednecks in the boonies who promulgate racism, sexism, homophobia, anti-Semitism and other forms of hate. While I'm a Democrat because I support our principles of universal health care, raising the minimum wage, etc., I feel more welcomed in the party because I'm not told I must be a conservative white God-fearing heterosexual Christian male who loves America, baseball and Mom's apple pie to be successful or patriotic nor am I labeled a "DINO" or told that I'm going to Hell every time I disagree with my party on any issue ranging from abortion to zoning.
musicfan41
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2009, 09:02:12 AM »

Honestly if it weren't for the Religous Right I feel more Asians would vote Republican. Most are hurt by affirmative action. Very few are here illegally. Most Asians are pro life.

http://www.hinduamericanfoundation.org/issues/public_policy?q=media/pr/20061121_anderson

"“Republicans have been among the strongest voices backing HAF on Capitol Hill on their issues, and many Hindu Americans are loyal supporters of the GOP,” said Ishani Chowdhury, the Executive Director of HAF who is not related to Sen. Chaudhary. “But at HAF, we are distressed by the intolerance and disrespect for Hinduism and other minority faiths displayed by a few prominent Republican candidates this year in pandering to the right wing Christian conservative vote—a clear and present danger to the pluralistic ethos our founding fathers valued so much.”"

musicfan41
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2009, 09:39:26 AM »

Didn't Bob Dole win the Asian vote in 1996 ?
FloridaRepublican
justrhyno
United States

« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2009, 12:01:21 PM »

Bush the first wasn't trying to point out that the guy was black.  In fact, it had nothing to do with the fact that he was black.  The commercial was just to state both Bush's and Dukakis's position on the death penalty and how Dukakis gave first degree murderers weekend passes.  Everyone out west and up north automatically assume that people from down south are reactionary, bible-thumping, minority-hating white people and I'm sick of it.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2009, 01:05:03 PM »

"Hate" might be too strong a word, but it's certainly far too close for comfort to make any sane contemplate voting for his enemies:

Of course, there's the whole modern cosmopolitan angle. Asians might have a lot bigger incomes on average, but they tend to live with and think like the kind of rich White that doesn't vote Rethuglican either. Note that the GOP collapse among Asians is a recent trend. They were competitive there as late as ten years ago. They are still competitive with some Asian groups.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2009, 01:42:27 PM »

(Interestingly enough, and I'm ashamed to say it, but bestiality is actually legal in Missouri but same-sex marriage is not. We're a pretty f_cked up state).

I think the GOP elites understand all these problems, it's just most GOP politicians don't. I think they will change in the next decade or so, but it will be slow.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies