Why don't Asians vote Republican?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 11:38:24 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Why don't Asians vote Republican?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]
Author Topic: Why don't Asians vote Republican?  (Read 32805 times)
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: April 30, 2011, 12:47:43 PM »

Although it sounds odd that there are more Republican Geneticists than Republican Computer Scientists or Database Managers. Aren't they afraid of being accused of being abortionists by the Republican base?
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #126 on: May 15, 2011, 02:41:39 PM »

I would expect Asians to vote Republican because all of the Asian wars have been fought by Democrats.

Asian-Americans have typically been Republican-leaning to the extent that they despise Communism and see Republicans as putative liberators from Commie rule. (Iranian-Americans look European and would never be confused with East or South Asians).  South Asians and Japanese-Americans have never known of a Commie threat in the "home" countries. The Commie threat is effectively dead in the Philippines, Malaysia, and Indonesia.  Chinese-Americans were much more reliable supporters of Republicans until the PRC quite talking about world revolution and started schmoozing equally with Republicans and Democrats. Vietnamese-Americans might be more R than the country as a whole. Koreans? Good question. Everyone hates Kim Jong-il if he has a choice. It may be more religion or economic position that decides whether someone of Korean or Vietnamese origin is D or R.

The Republican Party has hurt itself with anyone from a Sinitic-influenced culture by aligning itself with the anti-intellectualism of Christian Protestant fundamentalists.   
Seattle
United States

« Reply #127 on: May 15, 2011, 05:18:04 PM »

It may be more religion or economic position that decides whether someone of Korean or Vietnamese origin is D or R.

That and geographic placing have the greatest effect on whether (At least Vietnamese) they are D vs. R. A vietnamese person in Seattle or Portland is obviously going to be more likely to be D than a Vietnamese person in more republican areas. LA is a bit different because the population is so large, but in general I think that has alot to do with their political leanings.
Jackson
United States

« Reply #128 on: June 05, 2011, 04:24:21 AM »

The Republican Party has hurt itself with anyone from a Sinitic-influenced culture by aligning itself with the anti-intellectualism of Christian Protestant fundamentalists.   
This.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #129 on: June 20, 2011, 10:01:04 PM »

Asian Americans (who are the least religious of the five major American ethnic groups) are scared off my the GOP's sometime extreme social conservatism.  However, I could see someone like Jon Huntsman doing very well amongst Asians >35 percent.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #130 on: June 21, 2011, 12:33:35 AM »

A good amount of Asians are super-Christian, especially Koreans.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #131 on: June 21, 2011, 01:48:44 PM »

But those super-religious Asians tend to be poorer and less educated than the nation on average, making them more inclined to vote Democratic or, more likely, not to vote at all. 

The more educated, richer Asians tend to be pretty nonreligious and vote Democrat as a result.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #132 on: June 21, 2011, 02:48:50 PM »

But those super-religious Asians tend to be poorer and less educated than the nation on average, making them more inclined to vote Democratic or, more likely, not to vote at all. 

The more educated, richer Asians tend to be pretty nonreligious and vote Democrat as a result.

Are there many non-Hmongs or non-Laotians in the uneducated cohort?
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #133 on: June 21, 2011, 02:55:37 PM »

Are there many non-Hmongs or non-Laotians in the uneducated cohort?

I'm from Mississippi.  To me and my people, an Asian is an Asian.  In Mississippi (with the exception of the Gulf Coast), most Asians are upper-middle class Japanese and Koreans.  They do not go to church.  They vote Democrat.  The Vietnamese, Cambodians, and Laotians on the Gulf Coast don't even speak English, much less vote.   
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #134 on: June 21, 2011, 02:59:40 PM »

Many Asians (including religious Koreans) are big on education, and Science.  They don't want to see education funding gutting, they don't want to see teachers thrown under the bus, and they don't want to see the Science taken out of Science class.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #135 on: June 21, 2011, 03:04:44 PM »

I'm from Mississippi.  To me and my people, an Asian is an Asian.

Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #136 on: June 21, 2011, 03:08:12 PM »

Would you expect anything less from a white conservative Republican in Mississippi?
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #137 on: June 21, 2011, 11:19:41 PM »
« Edited: June 21, 2011, 11:26:08 PM by Republican95 »

Would you expect anything less from a white conservative Republican in Mississippi?

I just giving you a perspective through the eyes of Middle America...its time to take off the rose-colored glasses called the "East Coast"...

And, do we really have to break down the Asian demographic based on their nation of origin?  When discussing the black vote no one comparing is the voting behavior of Malians and the Gabonese.  Talk about a racial double-standard...
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #138 on: June 22, 2011, 05:46:54 AM »
« Edited: June 22, 2011, 06:30:07 AM by anvikshiki »

I'm from Mississippi.  To me and my people, an Asian is an Asian.
I just giving you a perspective through the eyes of Middle America...its time to take off the rose-colored glasses called the "East Coast"...

And, do we really have to break down the Asian demographic based on their nation of origin?  When discussing the black vote no one comparing is the voting behavior of Malians and the Gabonese.  Talk about a racial double-standard...

But this discussion is about why Asians vote the way they do.  And it's not how you and your people see them that determines how they vote.  It's who they are and how they see themselves that determines that.  So, in that sense, their demographics do matter, because, unlike many African Americans, many Asians or their familes are relatively recent immigrants from distinctly different countries, cultures and backgrounds.  Those differences matter to them, and to how they vote here.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #139 on: June 22, 2011, 08:39:57 AM »

And, do we really have to break down the Asian demographic based on their nation of origin?  When discussing the black vote no one comparing is the voting behavior of Malians and the Gabonese.  Talk about a racial double-standard...

Because most African Americans have been living in the Americas for about 300-400 years. Most Asian immigrants come here very recently, with the oldest communities coming here in the mid 1800s.

Not to mention how you wonderful southerners destroyed African American families thus losing their roots, including the knowledge of where exactly they came from.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #140 on: June 22, 2011, 10:41:05 AM »

Allow me to clarify my position, in my neck-of-the-woods Asian-Amercians seem to be a largely homogeneous group.  Therefore, in most of "Middle America" differences in the Asian vote based on national origin are not as pronounced as they are on the Coasts. 
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #141 on: June 22, 2011, 10:45:13 AM »

Allow me to clarify my position, in my neck-of-the-woods Asian-Amercians seem to be a largely homogeneous group.  Therefore, in most of "Middle America" differences in the Asian vote based on national origin are not as pronounced as they are on the Coasts. 
That's fine, Republican95.  I would in any case be quite interested to see what the demographic breakdown of the Asian-American community is in Mississippi.  What at first might seem to be a homogeneous community often turns out not to be.  But it would be fascinating to know in any case. 
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #142 on: June 22, 2011, 01:20:04 PM »
« Edited: June 22, 2011, 01:24:52 PM by phk »

And, do we really have to break down the Asian demographic based on their nation of origin?  When discussing the black vote no one comparing is the voting behavior of Malians and the Gabonese.  Talk about a racial double-standard...

Because most African Americans have been living in the Americas for about 300-400 years. Most Asian immigrants come here very recently, with the oldest communities coming here in the mid 1800s.

Not to mention how you wonderful southerners destroyed African American families thus losing their roots, including the knowledge of where exactly they came from.

The early slave trade heavily involved people from Massachusetts and Rhode Island, hardly Southerners. They also started the triangular trade system.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #143 on: June 23, 2011, 12:49:17 AM »

The early slave trade heavily involved people from Massachusetts and Rhode Island, hardly Southerners. They also started the triangular trade system.

True. Southerners are hardly the only people to blame, with lots of Europeans being involved in the trade as well.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #144 on: June 23, 2011, 08:45:18 AM »
« Edited: June 26, 2011, 03:40:24 AM by Jakob Bronsky »

And Africans? Tongue

2010 figures are not available yet, or maybe well hidden, but in 2000, of 18,000 Asians in Mississippi 70% were foreign born, half of these being citizens and almost half had arrived in America in the 90s [EDIT: of the foreign born that is, just noticed its not worded too well]; 5000 of them were living in Harrison County alone; 5500 of them were Vietnamese, over half of them living in Harrison, and about 3000 each were Indian, Chinese and Filipino. The Harrison County and Vietnamese subgroups had above-average US nativity rates and an earlier average arrival date, though a broadly average citizenship rate among the immigrant population.
Virtually no Asians in Mississippi spoke no English, but over 30% spoke it "well" or "not well" (as opposed to "very well"). That figure was almost 40% in Harrison County, and an actual majority among Vietnamese.
Didn't check for income stats.

Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #145 on: June 26, 2011, 01:34:23 AM »

Goes without saying I thought. Tongue
allnjhaugh
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -0.87

« Reply #146 on: August 12, 2011, 06:40:10 PM »

As a member of the asian community over here in the east coast, Asians tend to be rather socially moderate. If you look at William Tong in CT, he's Lieberman, jr- now in Asian! Tongue
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies