Which of these four states is McCain most likely to win?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 09:03:45 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Which of these four states is McCain most likely to win?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Which state is McCain most likely to win?
Colorado

Iowa

Pennsylvania

Virginia

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 61

Author Topic: Which of these four states is McCain most likely to win?  (Read 4103 times)
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 01, 2008, 08:50:08 AM »

Its a close call between PA and VA, I'd say.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2008, 08:51:08 AM »

Will win:
VA

Should win:
PA

Could win:
CO

Will not win:
IA
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2008, 08:52:38 AM »

Will win:
VA

Should win:
PA

Could win:
CO

Will not win:
IA

lol

the correct answer is Pennsylvania...with which McCain still needs Virginia, Colorado, New Mexico, Iowa or Nevada...none of which I think he has a real chance in.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2008, 08:52:54 AM »

Going by the polling.... PA.

I still have BIG BIG doubts about VA being so firmly in Obama's column.... the other two are gone.
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.65

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2008, 08:53:23 AM »

They all seem out of reach, but I'll go with Colorado given his proximity to the state...
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2008, 09:04:52 AM »

All are out of reach.
Vandervecken
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2008, 09:10:35 AM »

I still have BIG BIG doubts about VA being so firmly in Obama's column.... the other two are gone.

In real life I've been telling this to a couple of my mother's friends when I was visiting her last week in FL. Definitely weird and I'm not buying it.

And I agree with your picks, PA and VA. IA and CO gone. You Iowans--take it easy on the corn husk hashish. Say bye bye to your guns if you help Obama in. I guarantee you he will federalize all gun law if elected. It would probably be called the "National Protect Our Kids Act"  instead of the "United States Federal Arms Control Act".
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2008, 09:12:45 AM »

In real life I've been telling this to a couple of my mother's friends when I was visiting her last week in FL. Definitely weird and I'm not buying it.

And I agree with your picks, PA and VA. IA and CO gone. You Iowans--take it easy on the corn husk hashish. Say bye bye to your guns if you help Obama in. I guarantee you he will federalize all gun law if elected. It would probably be called the "National Protect Our Kids Act"  instead of the "United States Federal Arms Control Act".

mind explaining how exactly he would get that done?
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2008, 09:13:25 AM »

They all seem out of reach, but I'll go with Colorado given his proximity to the state...

Oh no... not this again.
Vandervecken
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2008, 09:21:38 AM »

Who's going to stop him?
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2008, 09:29:00 AM »

Who's going to stop him?

a.) you're making the implication that he even wants to federalize gun laws.

b.) even should a.) prove to be true...many democrats from conservative disctricts aren't likely to support him on it.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2008, 09:39:20 AM »

I still have it my gut VA is the one.

(oh and I like eraserhead's republican halloween costume Wink )
Vandervecken
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2008, 09:41:13 AM »

Who's going to stop him?

b.) even should a.) prove to be true...many democrats from conservative disctricts aren't likely to support him on it.

They'll have enough, or those who don't play ball with the Congressional libs on this will find themselves out of a job 2 years from now. What can't get by the current USSC or one unchanged by substitutions for Stevens and Ginsberg they will be planning for in a second term, where the balance would probably be tipped hard left after a Scalia replacement. In the midst of all this, from day 1, he will simply arrogate power either through executive orders, which no Congressional oversight committee will ever challenege, or just by pure enforcement thuggery, because make no mistake, this man is an autocrat.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2008, 09:44:53 AM »

Who's going to stop him?

They'll have enough, or those who don't play ball with the Congressional libs on this will find themselves out of a job 2 years from now. What can't get by the current USSC or one unchanged by substitutions for Stevens and Ginsberg they will be planning for in a second term, where the balance would probably be tipped hard left after a Scalia replacement. In the midst of all this, from day 1, he will simply arrogate power either through executive orders, which no Congressional oversight committee will ever challenege, or just by pure enforcement thuggery, because make no mistake, this man is an autocrat.

and who said the left are conspiracy nuts?
TheGlobalizer
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.84, S: -7.13

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2008, 09:53:06 AM »

Good poll.  I said VA, as I still expect a late shift, but PA is creeping (bolting?) into the picture.
Vandervecken
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2008, 10:11:31 AM »

Who's going to stop him?

and who said the left are conspiracy nuts?

You know, his entire formative ideology is like this, and so is the hard left's. I'm not at all sure what you think you're smugly pooh-poohing. As if this isn't the hard left's pattern. Plus, you fail to point out one flaw in my argument. Disarming the populace utterly is always on the hard left's agenda. They have nearly infinite campaign money to unseat anyone they don't like, there will be vacancies on the USSC, and Scalia is over 73, and I saw unbelievably autocratic misuse of agencies by Bill Clinton, and Obama is far worse.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2008/aug/29/obamas-gun-ban-rhetoric/

Gun law isn't even that important an issue to me, but I brought it up for some people who might be expected to generally be more protective of gun rights. It is, though, a hallmark of the Stalinist hard left's tactics to disarm people.

Oh, and you can add this to your conspiracy nut-job predictions, while you're at it: the number of "retirements" among the Joint Chiefs, their immediate staff, and major theater commanders will be stunning, and there may even be some outright firings if some stick up for themselves. Sure, it's just conspiracy talk...believe it. This will happen with Obama. You think he's going to win, right? Ok. If he wins, and this doesn't happen within one-year, I mean huge reshufflings at the Pentagon, with promotion of people who will be vetted Obama supporters themselves, I'll very happily admit I was wrong to you. But I think you'll see enough of that to convince you, or if it won't, then you won't look at it.

And maybe for the first time in American history, our military wil be under the de facto command of one political party.

Think hard about what you're buying her, Dems. I think even some of the hardest left of you have no idea what you're getting with Obama--and all his cronies and moneymen, domestic, foreign, and Soros.
Zarn
YaBB God

« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2008, 10:28:04 AM »

Voted VA, but PA is close behind. Then CO and then IA. Of the "swing states" (for most likely McCain):

Tier I
1) IN (Bush)
2) MO (Bush)
3) NC (Bush)

Tier II
4) FL (Bush)
5) OH (Bush)

Tier III
6) NV (Bush)
7) VA (Bush)
8) PA (Kerry)

Tier IV
9) CO (Bush)
10) NM (Bush)
11) NH (Kerry)

Tier V
12) IA (Bush)
13) MN (Kerry)
14) ME-2 (Kerry)
15) WI (Kerry)

Of course, everyone here (including myself) can be dead wrong. :p

I don't consider AZ, ND, MT, GA and WV swinging at all. MI, NJ, and OR seem out of reach. McCain did not play in NJ or OR, losing them, and MI is too dumstruck by the economy to even listen. WA is less likely than these three.

Just my humble opinion. IA was a bubble state for me between Tier IV and V.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2008, 10:29:02 AM »

Iowa
Zarn
YaBB God

« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2008, 10:38:28 AM »

You just want to be different. Tongue
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2008, 10:40:56 AM »

Couldn't agree more.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2008, 10:41:19 AM »

Respectfully... are you serious?

Can you imagine the s**t-storm of trying to take federal control of gun laws?

No sensible person would take that on... the reason why abortion, gay marriage etc etc are left to the states.... it's too messy to deal with.
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2008, 10:46:17 AM »

At this point, Pennsylvania.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2008, 11:52:14 AM »

Will win: