WaPo: Sources Say CBS has more embarrassing Palin footage to air this week
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 13, 2024, 01:08:51 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  WaPo: Sources Say CBS has more embarrassing Palin footage to air this week
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7
Author Topic: WaPo: Sources Say CBS has more embarrassing Palin footage to air this week  (Read 9473 times)
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: September 30, 2008, 01:12:30 AM »

One of six sources being the WaPo doesn't discredit the entire story, doesi t?
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #51 on: September 30, 2008, 01:43:45 PM »

http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/09/29/bidens-debate-prep/

Senator Joseph R. Biden Jr., the Democratic vice-presidential nominee, spent most of the day Monday in a hotel suite in Wilmington preparing for Thursday night’s debate.

As practice sessions unfolded behind closed doors, top aides tried, not terribly convincingly, to suggest that Mr. Biden - a two-time presidential candidate, 35-year veteran of the Senate and chairman of its foreign affairs committee - is the debate underdog to Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin.

“He’s going in here to debate a leviathan of forensics,” Mr. Biden’s spokesman, David Wade, said with an almost straight face, “who has debated five times and she’s undefeated.”

David Axelrod, Senator Barack Obama’s top political strategist, also tried to play down expectations for Mr. Biden and to highlight Ms. Palin’s skills as a debater.

“I think that if you go back and look at the debates that Governor Palin’s had as a candidate, she’s very skilled and she’ll be well-prepared,” Mr. Axelrod said on Mr. Biden’s plane Sunday night. “As you saw at the convention she can be very good. So, I think it would be foolish to assume that this isn’t going to be a really challenging debate. We’re preparing for that, on that assumption.”

Gov. Jennifer Granholm, Democrat of Michigan, joined the debate preparation team in the role of Ms. Palin. Ms. Granholm flew to Wilmington with Mr. Biden on Sunday night after the Democratic candidates made an appearance in Detroit earlier in the day and was expected to stay for a day or two of mock combat.

Also on the Biden debate team were Ron Klain, a former top aide to Biden in the Senate who has been helping Mr. Obama prepare for debates; Ricki Seidman, a senior campaign adviser; Anthony Blinken, Mr. Biden’s chief foreign policy aide; and Valerie Biden Owens, Mr. Biden’s sister, political adviser and close confidante.

Mr. Axelrod said that preparation for a vice-presidential debate is more complex than for a top-of-the-ticket contest because the nominees have to defend their own records while touting the qualifications of their presidential candidates and questioning the positions of their opponents.

“This is primarily going to be a debate about where the principals, the presidential candidates, want to take the country,” Mr. Axelrod said.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #52 on: September 30, 2008, 01:55:28 PM »

Katie Couric, in a segment to air tonight, asks Palin about her joke that she's been listening to Joe Biden's speeches since second grade, and whether that isn't an odd thing to say given her own running mate's age:

Oh no, it's nothing negative at all. He's got a lot of experience and just stating the fact there, that we've been hearing his speeches for all these years. So he's got a tremendous amount of experience and, you know, I'm the new energy, the new face, the new ideas and he's got the experience based on many many years in the Senate and voters are gonna have a choice there of what it is that they want in these next four years.
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #53 on: September 30, 2008, 02:01:25 PM »

Katie Couric, in a segment to air tonight, asks Palin about her joke that she's been listening to Joe Biden's speeches since second grade, and whether that isn't an odd thing to say given her own running mate's age:

Oh no, it's nothing negative at all. He's got a lot of experience and just stating the fact there, that we've been hearing his speeches for all these years. So he's got a tremendous amount of experience and, you know, I'm the new energy, the new face, the new ideas and he's got the experience based on many many years in the Senate and voters are gonna have a choice there of what it is that they want in these next four years.

hopefully, she said this while standing up.  maybe the tv audience will be distracted enough to just nod without actually listening
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #54 on: September 30, 2008, 02:03:20 PM »

why not just say, "Nah, Sen McCain can take a joke about his age too." and be done with it
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #55 on: September 30, 2008, 02:17:28 PM »

And doesn't every country get the leader/president it deserves?

you mean like Germany and Hitler?
daboese
Germany

« Reply #56 on: September 30, 2008, 02:28:15 PM »

Yes. Or like G.W. and the US today.
At least in Germany, this happened 60 years ago.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #57 on: September 30, 2008, 02:55:17 PM »

Yes. Or like G.W. and the US today.
At least in Germany, this happened 60 years ago.

you mean to compare the two?
daboese
Germany

« Reply #58 on: September 30, 2008, 03:07:20 PM »

No.
I just said that every county gets the leader they deserve.
I don't like Merkel very much, but she is better than Bush, Sarkozy, Berluscony or Brown IMO.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #59 on: September 30, 2008, 06:26:56 PM »

This does two things.

1.  Lowers expectations.  We're all expecting Palin to start drooling.

2.  Gives the country a much needed distraction from the economic crisis.
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #60 on: September 30, 2008, 06:28:13 PM »

daboese
Germany

« Reply #61 on: September 30, 2008, 06:34:03 PM »

I think the expectations will be higher. We will listen carefully to everything she says. If she has some of those moments, Tina Fey might play her again on SNL.
You must be logged in to read this quote.
That might be true, but in the end of the day, the crisis will be solved, sooner or later. The deficit of the US is high, but for example not as high as the one of Germany (we had a very nice chancellor as well who was very stupid- everyone made jokes about Kohl and his stupidity, much like Bush or Palin- leaving us with a huge deficit in 1998).
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #62 on: September 30, 2008, 06:35:26 PM »

This does two things.

2.  Gives the country a much needed distraction from the economic crisis.

that doesn't it make it:
1) good
2) planned
Kalimantan
Indonesia

Political Matrix
E: -3.10, S: -1.74

« Reply #63 on: September 30, 2008, 06:39:10 PM »

the CBS EVENING NEWS WITH KATIE COURIC

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=4490056n

Gov. Palin at Monday’s event in Columbus, OH:   I do look forward to Thursday night and debating Senator Joe Biden. We are going to talk about those new ideas, new energy for America. I’m looking forward to meet him too. I’ve never met him before. But, I’ve been hearing about his senate speeches since I was in like 2nd grade.

Katie Couric: You made a funny comment, you’ve said you have been listening to Joe Biden’s speeches since you were in second grade.

Gov. Palin: It’s been since like ‘72, yah.

Katie Couric: You have a 72-year-old running mate, is that kind of a risky thing to say, insinuating that Joe Biden’s been around awhile?

Gov. Palin: Oh no, it’s nothing negative at all. He’s got a lot of experience and just stating the fact there, that we’ve been hearing his speeches for all these years. So he’s got a tremendous amount of experience and, you know, I’m the new energy, the new face, the new ideas and he’s got the experience based on many many years in the Senate and voters are gonna have a choice there of what it is that they want in these next four years.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #64 on: September 30, 2008, 06:51:57 PM »

Already covered in page 4 Smiley
Kalimantan
Indonesia

Political Matrix

« Reply #65 on: September 30, 2008, 06:56:38 PM »

Well there wasn't a link Smiley
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #66 on: September 30, 2008, 06:58:53 PM »

Here's an interesting one, from Jonathon Martin on Politico:

Sarah Palin and John McCain routinely offer a nod on the stump to Todd Palin's membership in the United Steel Workers as a way of underscoring the potential second family's blue-collar bona fides.

In an interview today, Sarah Palin went further, specifically crediting her and her husband's union membership for their health care.

"We’ve gone through periods of our life here with paying out of pocket for health coverage until Todd and I both landed a couple of good union jobs," Palin explained to conservative talk show host Hugh Hewitt.  "Early on in our marriage, we didn’t have health insurance, and we had to either make the choice of paying out of pocket for catastrophic coverage or just crossing our fingers, hoping that nobody would get hurt, nobody would get sick."

In saying this, Palin was seeking to underline how her life has been no different than many Americans.  (Earlier in the interview, she said: "It’s time that normal Joe six-pack American is finally represented in the position of vice presidency.")

But Democrats and union officials are sure to jump on Palin's language, which is taken directly out of their talking points. 

The centerpiece of McCain's health care plan -- and GOP orthodoxy on the issue -- is to empower people to pick their own health plans by lessening tax breaks for employer-based coverage and transferring them to invididual taxpayers.

Just today, the AFL-CIO dropped a mail piece focused on health care to a million of their members, hammering McCain for wanting "people to buy health insurance on their own instead of getting it through their jobs."

This is somewhat misleading because McCain would offer a tax credit to help people get coverage.

But nonetheless, McCain and most Republicans are pushing for a market-oriented health care system where individuals would be weaned off the very employer-based set-up that Palin praised. 

It's unclear what union job Palin had.  I've asked the campaign.   
Kalimantan
Indonesia

Political Matrix

« Reply #67 on: September 30, 2008, 07:05:40 PM »

oooh, there's another one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRkWebP2Q0Y

Almost feel sorry for her. Just say 'Time', Sarah. or 'Wall Street Journal'. or the Wasilla Daily News. anything......

but no, she's read All of Them
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #68 on: September 30, 2008, 07:16:50 PM »

I was about to post that!

omg
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #69 on: September 30, 2008, 07:23:02 PM »

Couric: If a 15-year-old is raped by her father, do you believe it should be illegal for her to get an abortion, and why?

Palin: I am pro-life. And I'm unapologetic in my position that I am pro-life. And I understand there are good people on both sides of the abortion debate. In fact, good people in my own family have differing views on abortion, and when it should be allowed. Do I respect people's opinions on this. Now, I would counsel to choose life. I would also like to see a culture of life in this country. But I would also like to take it one step further. Not just saying I am pro-life and I want fewer and fewer abortions in this country, but I want them, those women who find themselves in circumstances that are absolutely less than ideal, for them to be supported, and adoptions made easier.

Couric: But ideally, you think it should be illegal for a girl who was raped or the victim of incest to get an abortion?

Palin: I'm saying that, personally, I would counsel the person to choose life, despite horrific, horrific circumstances that this person would find themselves in. And, um, if you're asking, though, kind of foundationally here, should anyone end up in jail for having an … abortion, absolutely not. That's nothing I would ever support.

Couric: Some people have credited the morning-after pill for decreasing the number of abortions. How do you feel about the morning-after pill?

Palin: Well, I am all for contraception. And I am all for preventative measures that are legal and save, and should be taken, but Katie, again, I am one to believe that life starts at the moment of conception. And I would like to see …

Couric: And so you don't believe in the morning-after pill?

Palin: ... I would like to see fewer and fewer abortions in this world. And again, I haven't spoken with anyone who disagrees with my position on that.

Couric: I'm sorry, I just want to ask you again. Do you not support or do you condone or condemn the morning-after pill.

Palin: Personally, and this isn't McCain-Palin policy …

Couric: No, that's OK, I'm just asking you.

Palin: But personally, I would not choose to participate in that kind of contraception.

Couric: Do you believe evolution should be taught as an accepted scientific principle or as one of several theories?

Palin: Oh, I think it should be taught as an accepted principle. And, as you know, I say that also as the daughter of a school teacher, a science teacher, who has really instilled in me a respect for science. It should be taught in our schools. And I won't deny that I see the hand of God in this beautiful creation that is Earth. But that is not part of the state policy or a local curriculum in a school district. Science should be taught it science class.

Couric: The governor told CBS News though she's not a member of any church, she visits a couple of them regularly when she's home. She took issue with news reports that one of them, The Wasilla Bible Church, sponsored a conference where gays could be made straight through prayer.

Palin: Well, it matters though, Katie, when the media gets it wrong., it frustrates Americans who are just trying to get the facts and … be able to make up their mind on, about a person's values. So it does matter.

But what you're talking about, I think, value here, what my position is on homosexuality and you can pray it away, because I think that was the title that was listed on that bulletin. And you know, I don't know what prayers are worthy of being prayed. I don't know what's prayers are going to be asked and answered. But as for homosexuality, I am not going to judge Americans and the decisions that they make in their adult personal relationships. I have one of my absolute best friends for the last 30 years happens to be gay, and I love her dearly. And she is not my "gay friend," she is one of my best friends, who happens to have made a choice that isn't a choice I would have made. But I am not going to judge people.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #70 on: September 30, 2008, 07:27:39 PM »

http://interviewpalin.com/
ChrisFromNJ

Political Matrix
E: -5.35, S: -8.61

« Reply #71 on: September 30, 2008, 07:39:43 PM »

Couric: If a 15-year-old is raped by her father, do you believe it should be illegal for her to get an abortion, and why?

Palin: I am pro-life. And I'm unapologetic in my position that I am pro-life. And I understand there are good people on both sides of the abortion debate. In fact, good people in my own family have differing views on abortion, and when it should be allowed. Do I respect people's opinions on this. Now, I would counsel to choose life. I would also like to see a culture of life in this country. But I would also like to take it one step further. Not just saying I am pro-life and I want fewer and fewer abortions in this country, but I want them, those women who find themselves in circumstances that are absolutely less than ideal, for them to be supported, and adoptions made easier.

Couric: But ideally, you think it should be illegal for a girl who was raped or the victim of incest to get an abortion?

Palin: I'm saying that, personally, I would counsel the person to choose life, despite horrific, horrific circumstances that this person would find themselves in. And, um, if you're asking, though, kind of foundationally here, should anyone end up in jail for having an … abortion, absolutely not. That's nothing I would ever support.

Couric: Some people have credited the morning-after pill for decreasing the number of abortions. How do you feel about the morning-after pill?

Palin: Well, I am all for contraception. And I am all for preventative measures that are legal and save, and should be taken, but Katie, again, I am one to believe that life starts at the moment of conception. And I would like to see …

Couric: And so you don't believe in the morning-after pill?

Palin: ... I would like to see fewer and fewer abortions in this world. And again, I haven't spoken with anyone who disagrees with my position on that.

Couric: I'm sorry, I just want to ask you again. Do you not support or do you condone or condemn the morning-after pill.

Palin: Personally, and this isn't McCain-Palin policy …

Couric: No, that's OK, I'm just asking you.

Palin: But personally, I would not choose to participate in that kind of contraception.

Couric: Do you believe evolution should be taught as an accepted scientific principle or as one of several theories?

Palin: Oh, I think it should be taught as an accepted principle. And, as you know, I say that also as the daughter of a school teacher, a science teacher, who has really instilled in me a respect for science. It should be taught in our schools. And I won't deny that I see the hand of God in this beautiful creation that is Earth. But that is not part of the state policy or a local curriculum in a school district. Science should be taught it science class.

Couric: The governor told CBS News though she's not a member of any church, she visits a couple of them regularly when she's home. She took issue with news reports that one of them, The Wasilla Bible Church, sponsored a conference where gays could be made straight through prayer.

Palin: Well, it matters though, Katie, when the media gets it wrong., it frustrates Americans who are just trying to get the facts and … be able to make up their mind on, about a person's values. So it does matter.

But what you're talking about, I think, value here, what my position is on homosexuality and you can pray it away, because I think that was the title that was listed on that bulletin. And you know, I don't know what prayers are worthy of being prayed. I don't know what's prayers are going to be asked and answered. But as for homosexuality, I am not going to judge Americans and the decisions that they make in their adult personal relationships. I have one of my absolute best friends for the last 30 years happens to be gay, and I love her dearly. And she is not my "gay friend," she is one of my best friends, who happens to have made a choice that isn't a choice I would have made. But I am not going to judge people.

She is one radical right wing loon.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #72 on: September 30, 2008, 07:47:41 PM »

Her position is the correct one o/c.
Thomas Jackson
ghostmonkey

Political Matrix
E: 8.77, S: 8.79

« Reply #73 on: September 30, 2008, 07:48:19 PM »

Outstanding answers! You people think that there was something wrong we this answers? I can see how people with -8.65 atlas scores wouldn't like the answers, but the majority of Americans are not to the left of Stalin, and her answers are just fine.
Thomas Jackson
ghostmonkey

Political Matrix
E: 8.77, S: 8.79

« Reply #74 on: September 30, 2008, 07:49:45 PM »

Yep.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies