WaPo: Sources Say CBS has more embarrassing Palin footage to air this week
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 06:52:02 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  WaPo: Sources Say CBS has more embarrassing Palin footage to air this week
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]
Author Topic: WaPo: Sources Say CBS has more embarrassing Palin footage to air this week  (Read 9350 times)
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #150 on: October 01, 2008, 09:20:53 PM »

Ambinder asks:
In her interview with Katie Couric, Gov. Sarah Palin endorsed a constitutional right to privacy, although, she said, "individual states can handle what the people within the different constituencies in the 50 states would like to see their will ushered in in an issue like that."

Did she just endorse the constitutional underpinning that supports a myriad of precedents that conservatives have spent decades fighting?

Video here:
http://marcambinder.theatlantic.com/archives/2008/10/palin_and_the_right_to_privacy.php

any idiot knows the right to privacy is implicit in the constitution, that's what unlawful searches are all about.  the GOP needs to retailor their argument and focus on the extent of that right instead of pretending it doesn't exist
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #151 on: October 01, 2008, 09:24:26 PM »

mmmm.  I guess you're right, it's perhaps too nuanced of an argument to say that privacy is good, but the Constitution shouldn't guarantee it.  But I'm not sure if McCain or pro-Lifers would agree with Palin about this right, I hope Palin gets asked about this tomorrow.
Kalimantan
Indonesia

Political Matrix
E: -3.10, S: -1.74

« Reply #152 on: October 02, 2008, 06:30:22 AM »

Now she doesn't seem to know who Hamas are - that, or she's endorsing them

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5Y1oYThKts
daboese
Germany

« Reply #153 on: October 02, 2008, 06:40:21 AM »
« Edited: October 02, 2008, 06:43:30 AM by daboese »

She just doesn't know who they are.
I told you guys she is stupid. At least she knows now who Ahmadinejad is, besides the fact that he is part of the evil empire... (this rings a bell- didn't Bush say this as well?)
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #154 on: October 02, 2008, 07:43:39 AM »

Now she doesn't seem to know who Hamas are - that, or she's endorsing them

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5Y1oYThKts

She just doesn't know who they are.
I told you guys she is stupid. At least she knows now who Ahmadinejad is, besides the fact that he is part of the evil empire... (this rings a bell- didn't Bush say this as well?)

Look you two, I have warned about the dangers of Hamas and Iran for years on this forum, BUT there is nothing wrong or inaccurate with Gov. Palin reply.  You are beginning to sound desperate. 

The only beef anyone adult could have with her response is that she never answered the question "What happens when democracy gives rise to fanatics?"  Her response should have been along the lines of: "Democracy is not guaranteed to produce civility.  But democracy is the best hope to civility that we have.  So we need to encourage and help foster emerging democracies, simply because of the fact that it is the best hope for peace and liberty."

Kalimantan
Indonesia

Political Matrix

« Reply #155 on: October 02, 2008, 07:56:39 AM »

You are beginning to sound desperate. 

Her response should have been along the lines of: "Democracy is not guaranteed to produce civility.  But democracy is the best hope to civility that we have.  So we need to encourage and help foster emerging democracies, simply because of the fact that it is the best hope for peace and liberty."

LOL

You should be VP nominee

She said, to paraphrase, We have to protect those, and, you know, support, those that seek democracy - which, in the context of the question means Hamas, the ones that won the elections and the ones that the US government classifies as terrorists.

I agree with (the first part of) her answer by the way, just doesn't sound very GOP talking point. She gets a few digs in at Ahmeniwotsit for good measure though, well done her. Anyway, the answers don't matter any more, I was never voting for her anyway, but this absolute brainfreeze of an interview is very funny - not even funny in a nasty way at her, just damn amusing. "What papers or magazine do you read?" "All of 'em, any of 'em" - Still makes me absolutely piss myself every time. I do hope she doesn't disappear back to Alaska after she loses the election coz I'm thoroughly enjoying her little cameo so far.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #156 on: October 02, 2008, 08:13:36 AM »

You are beginning to sound desperate. 

Her response should have been along the lines of: "Democracy is not guaranteed to produce civility.  But democracy is the best hope to civility that we have.  So we need to encourage and help foster emerging democracies, simply because of the fact that it is the best hope for peace and liberty."

LOL

You should be VP nominee

She said, to paraphrase, We have to protect those, and, you know, support, those that seek democracy - which, in the context of the question means Hamas, the ones that won the elections and the ones that the US government classifies as terrorists.

the question was a general question about democracy and was NOT specifically addressing Hamas, rather Couric stated that she was using Hamas as an "example".  Palin's response addressed the "region" of that area.  So, neither the question nor the response was directed specifically at Hamas. 

You're just being a hack and refusing to take both the question and response at face value.  Some blame is to be leveled at Palin for not putting enough flesh on her answer, as I did in my answer, to satisfy the idiots listening, but, word or word, there is nothing wrong with what she said.
Kalimantan
Indonesia

Political Matrix

« Reply #157 on: October 02, 2008, 08:40:49 AM »

Whatever. I think the definition of hack is defending your candidate whatever they do. But this aint my candidate and aint my problem.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #158 on: October 02, 2008, 08:47:50 AM »

Whatever. I think the definition of hack is defending your candidate whatever they do. But this aint my candidate and aint my problem.

If you read the last few pages of this thread, you'll see that I have NOT defended her whatever she has done and have been very critical of her brain freeze during these interviews.  And it IS in the definition of a hack to accuse others, like you just did with me, without knowing what you're talking about.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #159 on: October 02, 2008, 08:55:48 AM »

If you read the last few pages of this thread, you'll see that I have NOT defended her whatever she has done and have been very critical of her brain freeze during these interviews.  And it IS in the definition of a hack to accuse others, like you just did with me, without knowing what you're talking about.

You're absolutely not being a hack. I do think there's a valid criticism of Palin for her answer to the Hamas issue--the tension between democracy and the fact that Palestinians took that chance to vote out Fatah in favor of Hamas is a serious problem. Fatah was corrupt and undemocratic, people needed a choice, unfortunately the only choice at hand was a terrorist organization and the democratic vote ended up setting things back quite severely. I think the Bush Administration tried to do the right thing and it all ended up very badly, and her response is a throwback to the 2005 idea that if we promote democracy, that's the solution, without recognition of what really happened and why that makes the view problematic.

We, and I in particular, have piled on Palin for so many interview problems that it seems churlish to complain about her flubbing an answer to a question that is moderately more difficult than the Supreme Court or newspaper ones. It's something a VP should know, but we're so far past the point of judging by that standard. It is a question she got wrong in missing the main point of what happened, though.
Kalimantan
Indonesia

Political Matrix

« Reply #160 on: October 02, 2008, 08:59:38 AM »

Yeah I've read it, yeah I've seen you haven't defended her all the time, and I wasn't explicitly calling you a hack, just reminding you of the hypocrisy of accusing ME of being a hack.
daboese
Germany

« Reply #161 on: October 02, 2008, 03:43:30 PM »

Look you two, I have warned about the dangers of Hamas and Iran for years on this forum, BUT there is nothing wrong or inaccurate with Gov. Palin reply.  You are beginning to sound desperate. 
Living in Israel for two years, I know very well the dangers of Hamas.
Still, I don't like anyone talking of Ahmadinejad as being "evil", this sounds just too simple for me- this is like the Bush-rethorics we have heard for years.
Moreover, she really did not seem to know anything about the Hamas, or at least didn't want to say anything because she hasn't memorized it.

Anyway, we'll see how the debate goes in a couple of hours.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #162 on: October 02, 2008, 04:15:02 PM »

I got to say, CBS is really milking this.

Did you see their ratings before this interview?
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #163 on: October 02, 2008, 04:43:21 PM »

“He’s going in here to debate a leviathan of forensics,” Mr. Biden’s spokesman, David Wade, said with an almost straight face, “who has debated five times and she’s undefeated.”

David Axelrod, Senator Barack Obama’s top political strategist, also tried to play down expectations for Mr. Biden and to highlight Ms. Palin’s skills as a debater.

Now here's Plouffe, according to TPM:

After repeatedly calling Palin first "an extremely good debater," then a "great" one, at the end he ramped it up to "Gov. Palin is one of the best debaters in American politics," at which point the press gaggle interrupted him with its laughter.
"No, she is! Her 2006 debate, she knew where she wanted to take every question, and so I think she'll be relentlessly on message tonight..."
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies