WaPo: Sources Say CBS has more embarrassing Palin footage to air this week
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 02:32:47 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  WaPo: Sources Say CBS has more embarrassing Palin footage to air this week
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7
Author Topic: WaPo: Sources Say CBS has more embarrassing Palin footage to air this week  (Read 9347 times)
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: October 01, 2008, 05:39:30 AM »

And that's your opinion. Birth control is also a way to keep from getting a child...

I'm kind of mixed on the issue. While I believe that women whose life is in danger...and possibly those that were raped....should be able to get an abortion, I see no reason to support abortion in other cases. (This, of course, is also my opinion. I don't, however, call the pro-choice position "dangerous".)
daboese
Germany

« Reply #126 on: October 01, 2008, 05:44:52 AM »
« Edited: October 01, 2008, 06:10:16 AM by daboese »

If you look at her debates in Alaska, or previous interviews as governor, she's quite solid.  It's a bit offensive for you to declare she's stupid when at worse she's ignorant and at best (which is more likely) she's just a deer caught in the headlights - panic from Couric's aggressive, cold interviewing style.
She is dodging to answer any question directly. When two opponents were fighting each other, she took the advantage. This is not about politics, but this is about style. Anyone can learn that style easily, and not make any statement at all. This is exactly what she tries to do.
Of course, you can call this clever.
But at some point, you should try to explain what you stand for. And when trying to figure this out, any reporter will realize that she is just plain stupid if it comes to knowing economics, history, politics, or geography.
And, probably many of us would call G.W.Bush "stupid". He still was able to win several debates against Al Gore, whom I would consider as a very intelligent person.
This is what I would call "fuzzy politics", and yes, it can very effective sometimes.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #127 on: October 01, 2008, 06:17:46 AM »

I'd probably say the same is true for 90% of all politicians. Do you think Obama watches, to a great extent, any network TV or seriously reads any major papers?

Absolutely he does. Every President, including George W. Bush, gets a selection of the country's major newspapers and at least reads the headlines.
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #128 on: October 01, 2008, 07:45:25 AM »
« Edited: October 01, 2008, 07:49:36 AM by jmfcst »

VERY NOTEWORTHY STATEMENT IN THE ARTICLE: Against that experienced opposition, Palin proved herself to be a comfortable and confident debater, not exactly deeply versed in the issues but unusually adept at dodging controversy and quick to take advantage of opponents' missteps. Not one to throw an unnecessary punch, Palin took a patient approach, waiting for her rivals to expose their weak points - and then striking fast.

That's EXACTLY what a barracuda does.  The Alaskans know their animal traits well and gave Palin a fitting nickname.

---

I think it is very clear that her problems in these interviews have nothing to do with a lack of intelligence.  She may be just out of her element and lacks a target to ambush.  And instead of thinking through the questions and providing thoughtful answers, she is fighting the temptation to strike back at the constant questions of whether she is aware that the sky is blue.  Not wanting to attack the interviewer, has left her without a target to attack.  Biden will provide that target Thursday night.  I think she'll do just fine.

One does have to question whether having the personality of a barracuda fits with all the roles of the office of the president.  But, surely, she must have demonstrated some statesmanship while holding elected office in Alaska.

daboese
Germany

« Reply #129 on: October 01, 2008, 07:55:36 AM »

Hey, we actually agree on something. Wink
I would still think that this is about intelligence, though. You can train anyone to intercept at the right time, and to strike appropriately.
GW Bush did quite well in some debates, too.
In an interview and sometimes in debates, she will have to give some meat to the issues. And that is where she fails.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #130 on: October 01, 2008, 08:00:20 AM »

I will also add that, regardless of the source of the problem, whether it's due to ignorance or whatever, Palin's troubles in these interviews are totally self-inflected.  After giving an ok speech in Dayton, she exceeded expectations at the GOP convention.  And she needed to CONTINUE to exceed expectations.  Instead, she fell flat and became mentally crippled, to the shock of anyone that has reviewed her performance in Alaska.

She's got to pull her head out of her butt and get into the game.

jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #131 on: October 01, 2008, 08:13:16 AM »
« Edited: October 01, 2008, 08:15:54 AM by jmfcst »

Hey, we actually agree on something. Wink
I would still think that this is about intelligence, though. You can train anyone to intercept at the right time, and to strike appropriately.
GW Bush did quite well in some debates, too.
In an interview and sometimes in debates, she will have to give some meat to the issues. And that is where she fails.

Look, at this point she couldn't even recite the alphabet if asked.  Her performance has been so bad that lack of intelligence doesn't come close to explaining it.  And I refuse to believe any governor of Alaska with a minor in polisci and a major in journalism, can't name a SCOTUS case other than Roe.v.Wade.  Some of her answers aren't even coherent and she doesn't even bother to correct herself mid-sentence, as if she is not even aware of the fact she is making no sense.

She's experiencing a major brain freeze and it has caused her to lose confidence, thus causing to freeze up even more.  That's the only explanation.  She's like a gifted rookie QB that's been handed the reigns too soon and the opposition is blitzing the hell out of her, and now her confidence is rattled to the point that she's fumbling the snap on almost every play.

daboese
Germany

« Reply #132 on: October 01, 2008, 09:01:43 AM »

I don't think you can explain all her answers with a brain freeze.
That one looks different when I have exams with my students.
And I still have yet to hear a coherent answer from her straight to the point. And it probably does not take too much brain to get a simple college degree...
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #133 on: October 01, 2008, 04:50:32 PM »

CBS released some of the questions asked today.  This confirms the Republican aid leaking Palin's freeze to JMart.  You know things are bad when you have to leak your own bad news.

Why do you think Roe v. Wade is a good or bad decision? What other Supreme Court decisions do you disagree with?
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #134 on: October 01, 2008, 05:12:10 PM »

CBS released some of the questions asked today.  This confirms the Republican aid leaking Palin's freeze to JMart.  You know things are bad when you have to leak your own bad news.

Why do you think Roe v. Wade is a good or bad decision? What other Supreme Court decisions do you disagree with?

how much more of a softball question could Palin ask for?  This is what she should have said:

Well, Katie, you ignorant liberal hack of a slut, I believe the constitution gives us the right to privacy, which I believe is inherent in the pursuit of happiness, but to go to the extreme to state that the right to that privacy allows a person to rip an unborn child apart limb by limb while it slumbers in the womb is barbaric and grotesque and is therefore not a sound legal judgment.

As far as other Supreme Court decisions I disagree with, the Supreme Court just recently lowered the oil giant Exxon’s liabilities in the harm it caused when it negligently ran the oil tanker Exxon Valdez aground, spilling million of barrels of oil into Prince William Sound.  I strongly disagree with the ruling and believe huge oil companies should be held accountable.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #135 on: October 01, 2008, 05:16:02 PM »

how much more of a softball question could Palin ask for?  This is what she should have said:

Well, Katie, you ignorant liberal hack of a slut, I believe the constitution gives us the right to privacy, which I believe is inherent in the pursuit of happiness, but to go to the extreme to state that the right to that privacy allows a person to rip an unborn child apart limb by limb while it slumbers in the womb is barbaric and grotesque and is therefore not a sound legal judgment.

As far as other Supreme Court decisions I disagree with, the Supreme Court just recently lowered the oil giant Exxon’s liabilities in the harm it caused when it negligently ran the oil tanker Exxon Valdez aground, spilling million of barrels of oil into Prince William Sound.  I strongly disagree with the ruling and believe huge oil companies should be held accountable.

Or a simple "I can't think of any additional Supreme Court decisions that I disagree strongly with this second, but I think the Roe v. Wade issue highlights are larger dilemma of Supreme Court Justices legislating from the bench, which I disagree with in broad terms.  If I ever find myself in the position to nominate judges, which I certainly would desire to do in the near future, I would nominate judges in the likes of Alito, Roberts, and Thomas."  or something like that, even something more simple would work.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #136 on: October 01, 2008, 05:30:00 PM »

I'd probably say the same is true for 90% of all politicians. Do you think Obama watches, to a great extent, any network TV or seriously reads any major papers?

Absolutely he does. Every President, including George W. Bush, gets a selection of the country's major newspapers and at least reads the headlines.

It would have been easy enough for Palin to say, "well, between running a state and raising five kids, I don't have much time to read magazines." That would have been a great answer that a lot of people could relate to.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #137 on: October 01, 2008, 05:34:18 PM »

Or a simple "I can't think of any additional Supreme Court decisions that I disagree strongly with this second, but I think the Roe v. Wade issue highlights are larger dilemma of Supreme Court Justices legislating from the bench, which I disagree with in broad terms.  If I ever find myself in the position to nominate judges, which I certainly would desire to do in the near future, I would nominate judges in the likes of Alito, Roberts, and Thomas."  or something like that, even something more simple would work.

ok, but Palin just held a series of news conferences in Alaska on the Exxon Valdez decision, she should be intimately familiar with it.  And heck, everytime there is a SCOTUS nominee, there is a huge public debate about the ins and outs of Roe V Wade, anyone half paying attention knows it centers around stretching the right to privacy.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #138 on: October 01, 2008, 05:35:55 PM »

It would have been easy enough for Palin to say, "well, between running a state and raising five kids, I don't have much time to read magazines." That would have been a great answer that a lot of people could relate to.

... except in the previous interview, when asked why she only got a passport in 2007 and if that means she doesn't have a lot of interest in international affairs, she defended herself by saying she's been too busy and keeps up with the world through newspapers, magazines, and "other mediums."  It would totally contradict her last answer.  Couric asked that question because of the previous answer.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #139 on: October 01, 2008, 06:10:03 PM »

COURIC: What other Supreme Court decisions do you disagree with?

PALIN: Well, let's see. There's --of course --in the great history of America rulings there have been rulings, that's never going to be absolute consensus by every American. And there are--those issues, again, like Roe v Wade where I believe are best held on a state level and addressed there. So you know--going through the history of America, there would be others but--

COURIC: Can you think of any?

PALIN: Well, I could think of--of any again, that could be best dealt with on a more local level. Maybe I would take issue with. But you know, as mayor, and then as governor and even as a Vice President, if I'm so privileged to serve, wouldn't be in a position of changing those things but in supporting the law of the land as it reads today.

Lunar:  WHAT?
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #140 on: October 01, 2008, 06:11:46 PM »

PALIN: Well, let's see. There's --of course --in the great history of America rulings there have been rulings, that's never going to be absolute consensus by every American. And there are--those issues, again, like Roe v Wade where I believe are best held on a state level and addressed there. So you know--going through the history of America, there would be others but--

PALIN: Well, I could think of--of any again, that could be best dealt with on a more local level. Maybe I would take issue with. But you know, as mayor, and then as governor and even as a Vice President, if I'm so privileged to serve, wouldn't be in a position of changing those things but in supporting the law of the land as it reads today.

that's actually not as bad as I feared
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #141 on: October 01, 2008, 06:16:28 PM »

I got to say, CBS is really milking this. How much footage did they get? was it all done at the same time or over multiple days.

As for the Supreme Court answer...i really could not make that out.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #142 on: October 01, 2008, 06:18:12 PM »

As for the Supreme Court answer...i really could not make that out.

that's why it wasn't as bad as I feared, but I haven't seen the video yet.
The Ex-Factor
xfactor99
Viet Nam

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -6.43

« Reply #143 on: October 01, 2008, 06:19:49 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5H-26MOxH34&feature=related

Apparently Sarah Palin has amnesia.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #144 on: October 01, 2008, 06:27:39 PM »
« Edited: October 01, 2008, 06:32:09 PM by jmfcst »

yeah, like I said:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

When I watch the video in your link, I see nothing but a calm, cool, collective, and competent governor who is in complete command of her subject matter.  That's why I went crazy over her in the lead up to her being picked.  And how she could possibly go from the person she was in that interview to the person she is in the CBS and ABCNews interviews...I have no idea.  It's simply preposterous. It sickens me.

Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #145 on: October 01, 2008, 06:32:48 PM »

this is like the thing with the magazines she reads. I think she just 'chokes' every once in a while. She couild have easily said 'Time' or 'Exxon case' but she just froze. I think she may be over-coached or so worried she will say the wrong thing she just starts babbling.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #146 on: October 01, 2008, 06:49:32 PM »

this is like the thing with the magazines she reads. I think she just 'chokes' every once in a while.

every once in a while?  how about every time.  The video above didn't just catch her on a good day, that's how she was day in and day out.  That how every one of her videos was.  She had buttloads of talent that could have taken her all the way to the top.  But now that they've turned up the wattage on the lights, she can't carry on a conversation with a two year old in order to save her own life.

This really really sucks.  She either turns it around tommorrow night, or, given the fact that McCain is probably going to lose, she'll exit stage left having won the "Choke of a Lifetime" award.

I don't know whether to be angry at her or sad for her.  What a waste of talent.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #147 on: October 01, 2008, 07:00:08 PM »

Ambinder asks:
In her interview with Katie Couric, Gov. Sarah Palin endorsed a constitutional right to privacy, although, she said, "individual states can handle what the people within the different constituencies in the 50 states would like to see their will ushered in in an issue like that."

Did she just endorse the constitutional underpinning that supports a myriad of precedents that conservatives have spent decades fighting?

Video here:
http://marcambinder.theatlantic.com/archives/2008/10/palin_and_the_right_to_privacy.php
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #148 on: October 01, 2008, 07:19:09 PM »
« Edited: October 01, 2008, 07:22:24 PM by Likely Voter »

Ambinder asks:
In her interview with Katie Couric, Gov. Sarah Palin endorsed a constitutional right to privacy, although, she said, "individual states can handle what the people within the different constituencies in the 50 states would like to see their will ushered in in an issue like that."

Did she just endorse the constitutional underpinning that supports a myriad of precedents that conservatives have spent decades fighting?

Video here:
http://marcambinder.theatlantic.com/archives/2008/10/palin_and_the_right_to_privacy.php

She clearly did not understand what 'right to privacy' means related to Supreme Court decisions.

I wonder if McCain will have to 'walk this one back' like he had to on the Pakistan thing...on that one he claimed it was a 'gotcha' question. This time it may be a lot harder to say that as it is a simple question about views on the court and philosophy and it is something that came up in her Biden interview as something he supports.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #149 on: October 01, 2008, 09:15:26 PM »

That certainly looks awful. When do we get the video of this?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies