Monday Democratic National Convention running commentary thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 31, 2024, 10:58:42 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Monday Democratic National Convention running commentary thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7
Author Topic: Monday Democratic National Convention running commentary thread  (Read 9391 times)
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: August 25, 2008, 09:08:29 PM »

lol, agreed
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #76 on: August 25, 2008, 09:09:47 PM »

Politically, the only thing important tonight is Michelle Obama's speech, and it is not too important.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #77 on: August 25, 2008, 09:10:02 PM »
« Edited: August 25, 2008, 09:15:20 PM by Yankee Doodle Dandy »

Leach has gone from Thomas Jefferson to Eisenhower so far.  I'm a history buff, but this is way too much.

What do Al Gore and George HW Bush have to do with this?  Is this Jim Leach's "Lengthy List of Politicians I Like From the Past 200 Years Speech?"

Leach, if you had just switched parties, you'd still be in Congress.
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -6.09

« Reply #78 on: August 25, 2008, 09:10:36 PM »

Politically, the only thing important tonight is Michelle Obama's speech, and it is not too important.

The only thing close to important this evening was Teddy.
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #79 on: August 25, 2008, 09:12:21 PM »

Uh oh it seems that Rachel Maddow has learned the faux outrage bit from Olbermann.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #80 on: August 25, 2008, 09:12:49 PM »

Kennedy's speech wasn't important? lol.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #81 on: August 25, 2008, 09:13:05 PM »
« Edited: August 25, 2008, 09:16:46 PM by Beet »

I see I am the only one who enjoyed the great "four debates" canvass Leach was trying to paint.

And yes, I have begun watching CABLE TELEVISION. Shocked Shocked Shocked (actually dish, but all the same)

I thought Kennedy gave a nice speech but he didn't tie it very well to Barack Obama, except for the whole generations thing, it seemed like it was more about himself
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #82 on: August 25, 2008, 09:17:14 PM »

McCatskill up.  I like her.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #83 on: August 25, 2008, 09:17:38 PM »

I see I am the only one who enjoyed the great "four debates" canvass Leach was trying to paint.

If it is not on Fox News, it doesn't exist. Leach was not covered by Fox, so he doesn't exist. I hope that helps. Smiley

By the way, I will watch the GOP convention with MSNBC. I want to see the conventions through as hostile a lens as possible. Caustic commentary is commendable Give them all hell!
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #84 on: August 25, 2008, 09:18:23 PM »

I actually found it quite interesting, although personally I don't think he was the most engaging speaker. I think it's important for all the partisan hacks out there to remember that both parties have brought important ideas to the table over the past several centuries. The price of the Republicans Southern strategy of the late 60's/early '70s and the culture wars of the '80s and '90s was losing the likes of Jim Leach and Mark Hatfield from their congressional delegations...
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #85 on: August 25, 2008, 09:19:01 PM »

How odd. She reminds me of Angela Lansbury. Smiley  I just can't get that flash back out of my mind.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #86 on: August 25, 2008, 09:20:18 PM »

CNN is just Hillary hacks (Carville, Gergen, etc.) complaining about everything.
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #87 on: August 25, 2008, 09:21:07 PM »

CNN is just Hillary hacks (Carville, Gergen, etc.) complaining about everything.

MSNBC is just the Keith Olbermann/Rachel Maddow show.

This is coming from an MSNBC fan.
ChrisFromNJ

Political Matrix
E: -5.35, S: -8.61

« Reply #88 on: August 25, 2008, 09:22:26 PM »

I actually found it quite interesting, although personally I don't think he was the most engaging speaker. I think it's important for all the partisan hacks out there to remember that both parties have brought important ideas to the table over the past several centuries. The price of the Republicans Southern strategy of the late 60's/early '70s and the culture wars of the '80s and '90s was losing the likes of Jim Leach and Mark Hatfield from their congressional delegations...

There was no big loss in losing Jim Leach... he was one of the authors of the repealing of the Glass-Steagal Act.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #89 on: August 25, 2008, 09:23:58 PM »

MSNBC is just the Keith Olbermann/Rachel Maddow show.

This is coming from an MSNBC fan.

And Fox is... Fox.

Terrible coverage pretty much everywhere.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #90 on: August 25, 2008, 09:25:26 PM »
« Edited: August 25, 2008, 09:28:39 PM by Torie »

There was no big loss in losing Jim Leach... he was one of the authors of the repealing of the Glass-Steagal Act.

That does make him a HP. That was a huge mistake. When banks began hawking suck securities in branches, I wanted to throw up. My naive younger brother was stung. I asked him why he didn't call me. He said he tried, but could not get through. I asked him what was the rush? He said the cute chick hawking the inappropriate financial product to him was in a rush. I told him that when he thought below his waist that way, he deserved what he got. And so it goes.

The sad thing is that financial institutions own both parties. That is why we repealed Glass Staegal, enacted a predatory revision of the Bankruptcy Act (which Biden supported), so that credit card companies could screw folks for one last impecunious moment, and why we have the FANNIE MAE and FREDDIE MAC, that corrupt all that they touch.

I am sounding a bit like Opebo on this aren't I? Hey, Opebo is not always wrong. Grin
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #91 on: August 25, 2008, 09:28:05 PM »

McCaskill was kind of irritating.  She's just not charismatic at all.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #92 on: August 25, 2008, 09:29:40 PM »

They really should have figured out a way to get Kennedy into the prime-time slot.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #93 on: August 25, 2008, 09:34:44 PM »

Michelle's brother has no "black" accent, unlike Michelle. Interesting.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #94 on: August 25, 2008, 09:36:45 PM »

They really had to play "I Was Made to Love Her?" Really?
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #95 on: August 25, 2008, 09:37:23 PM »

So, where's the reverend?
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #96 on: August 25, 2008, 09:37:54 PM »

She's kind of hot.
ChrisFromNJ

Political Matrix
E: -5.35, S: -8.61

« Reply #97 on: August 25, 2008, 09:39:17 PM »

NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #98 on: August 25, 2008, 09:40:29 PM »

That does make him a HP. That was a huge mistake. When banks began hawking suck securities in branches, I wanted to throw up. My naive younger brother was stung. I asked him why he didn't call me. He said he tried, but could not get through. I asked him what was the rush? He said the cute chick hawking the inappropriate financial product to him was in a rush. I told him that when he thought below his waist that way, he deserved what he got. And so it goes.

The sad thing is that financial institutions own both parties. That is why we repealed Glass Staegal, enacted a predatory revision of the Bankruptcy Act (which Biden supported), so that credit card companies could screw folks for one last impecunious moment, and why we have the FANNIE MAE and FREDDIE MAC, that corrupt all that they touch.

I am sounding a bit like Opebo on this aren't I? Hey, Opebo is not always wrong. Grin

I agree with both you on this... what I think of is his advocacy of debt-relief for poor countries, dovish perspective on foreign policy, and progressive attitude on environmental issues.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #99 on: August 25, 2008, 09:40:48 PM »

Michelle's brother has no "black" accent, unlike Michelle. Interesting.

She stayed in Chicago. He didn't. Although her accent is pretty minimal.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies