Monday Democratic National Convention running commentary thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 02:28:15 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Monday Democratic National Convention running commentary thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]
Author Topic: Monday Democratic National Convention running commentary thread  (Read 9343 times)
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #150 on: August 26, 2008, 10:44:22 AM »

And good thing the Democrats aren't making this about race, when they pan the crowd I feel like I'm watching Showtime at the Apollo

Really? Sure you are just not focusing only on the black faces?
Not me, possibly the camera.  Although it was FoxNews
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -2.87

« Reply #151 on: August 26, 2008, 10:45:50 AM »

And good thing the Democrats aren't making this about race, when they pan the crowd I feel like I'm watching Showtime at the Apollo

You do realize that 44% of the delegates are minorities. . .
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #152 on: August 26, 2008, 10:48:04 AM »

The DNC has a proportional representation rule. It's a dumb idea if you ask me. It just creates more headaches for the delegate selectors.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #153 on: August 26, 2008, 11:04:57 AM »

A very good night, on the whole.  Michelle hit it out of the park.  Ted was terrific.  Jim Leach was...well...boring as hell.  But he was right.  And what's more, he served to remind us there used to be Republicans like that. Now, if only anyone had watched or if those who watched had not fallen asleep!

When Michelle was speaking, I kept thinking about some of the black women of the past who I greatly admire-- Sojourner Truth, Fanny Lou Hamer, Madame C.J. Walker, Barbara Jordan, Shirley Chisholm...I had to wonder what they would think if they could see what was going on.

I was proud.  And I am a fat, old, white guy.  Of course there were tears.  Those who think the tears were scripted...well...I feel sorry for you.

Oh yeah -- the kids weren't scripted in the least.  My little one is seven and that's exactly how she would have acted after not seeing Daddy for four days.  This family adores each other.  And I can guarantee you the McCain family is just the same way -- you talk to John McCain about his adopted daughter and he has the same light in his eyes that Barack has when his little girls are around. 
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #154 on: August 26, 2008, 11:08:55 AM »

You do realize that 44% of the delegates are minorities. . .

Huh? I thought they were doing it proportionally and 44% of America is not minorities...yet. It should have been closer to somewhere around 25-30% which is still a helluva lot more than you will see on TV or in movies. Also half the delegates are women. The Democratic party really is too cute.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #155 on: August 26, 2008, 12:02:22 PM »

For those curious about the Democratic selection process, there are two big areas of requirement: gender and affirmative action goals. Half of all delegates elected, starting at the precinct caucus level, must be males and half of all delegates elected must be women. The affirmative action goals don't prohibit election (we don't tell people you can't be elected if you're not black), but we try to get a certain proportionality related to seven minority statuses: African-American, Hispanic, Asian-American/Pacific Islander, Native American, GLBT, disabilities, and youth.

How we rectify something being a little off of the affirmative action goals is with the at-large delegates elected at the state convention - those spots' primary purpose is to fill the affirmative action goals. But again, we don't prohibit election based on race. It's just goals.

On a random side note, I personally I think we should add veterans to the minority statuses.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies