My friend's daughter has been placed in an all-black class, What should they do?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 15, 2024, 06:36:40 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  My friend's daughter has been placed in an all-black class, What should they do?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Poll
Question: My friend's daughter has been placed in an all-black class thanks to busing.  What should they do? (Read the story first)
Save as much money as you can and send her to a private school ($5,000/yr minimum)

Move anywhere you have to to get her into a better public school

Keep your daughter in the all-black class, and get used to her calling herself a "hoe" and getting beat up

Surrender custody to a grandparent who lives in a different school zone

Move to Vermont, put on rose-colored-glasses, and vote for Obama.

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 91

Author Topic: My friend's daughter has been placed in an all-black class, What should they do?  (Read 25562 times)
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: August 15, 2008, 02:02:58 AM »

My advice is to consider an African American girl in a class of all whites, determine your answer to that, and choose the same answer for this situation.
Plant City Rebel
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 4.17

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #51 on: August 15, 2008, 08:07:14 AM »

Is that not playing the race card just as much as any other group that is in the minority?  Why is it acceptable to think of the mental/physical well being of a black child over a child who would be in the minority in the class no matter what the ethnic background?  Why is someone a racist for pointing out that this is not in the child's best interest?  Is it because the child is white? Or is it because it is in a Southern State?   How many of us have been in this situation?

As has been mentioned in this thread before, my daughter has been in the same situation, it was not pretty, she was miserable, as were we, and I have not regretted the choice to move her to her current school.  Given the choice, I'd do it again.  I just wish her current school had opened earlier.  She is now interacting with a diverse spectrum of students, yet is not being held back due to issues that her other school had.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #52 on: August 15, 2008, 08:48:29 AM »

Is that not playing the race card just as much as any other group that is in the minority?  Why is it acceptable to think of the mental/physical well being of a black child over a child who would be in the minority in the class no matter what the ethnic background?  Why is someone a racist for pointing out that this is not in the child's best interest?  Is it because the child is white? Or is it because it is in a Southern State?   How many of us have been in this situation?

As has been mentioned in this thread before, my daughter has been in the same situation, it was not pretty, she was miserable, as were we, and I have not regretted the choice to move her to her current school.  Given the choice, I'd do it again.  I just wish her current school had opened earlier.  She is now interacting with a diverse spectrum of students, yet is not being held back due to issues that her other school had.

If a school is underperforming then as a parent you definitely have the right to move your child to a better school. But doing it just because the kids are black or hispanic is not a good enough reason. If don's relatives kid is in a suburban black school with middle income blacks, I do not see why the kid should be moved. But if its a ghetto ass school that regularly underperforms and has serious gang issues then yes the kid should be moved.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #53 on: August 15, 2008, 08:53:13 AM »

When I was a little kid, I went to the local public schools, which at the time and today are almost entirely black and Hispanic. (Today they are much more Hispanic than when I was there; at the time they were probably 80% black and 15% Hispanic.) I did leave for a private school, although that was because, by fourth grade, I was taking half of my classes with the fifth graders, and busing between the elementary and middle schools during the day was ridiculous (although the principal proposed it to get my brother and I to stay). While I wasn't exactly a happy kid at the time, I got into fights mostly because I was smart, which is pretty typical of elementary school. Had I been a girl (and all of the other kids who really worked hard were, save my brother), it would have been basically a no-stress situation. I know people who continued at the public schools thereafter, and they all enjoyed themselves without being "ghetto" (including friends who were white or Asian).

There certainly is a "ghetto culture", but it is not by an means all-pervasive even among blacks, and I have never noticed it to be more misogynist than "normal culture", probably less so than the private school I ended up attending. There is basically nothing but racism informing the decision to remove their daughter from the school; they are not even willing to make an attempt to see whether she would be happy. Of course, the terrible black people who will mistreat her have probably already been described to her by her parents, so she's unlikely to be happy simply because she knows she's expected to be unhappy. And that is the real tragedy of this story: the continuation of that expectation.
It doesn't sound like this place is comparable to Englewood

Englewood had race riots in the early 1980s and a desegregation court case in the early 1990s while I was in the public schools. I know what I'm dealing with. Don't talk down to me about this. I have more experience with race and racial tensions than 95% of the people on this board who live in the South.

He's talking about a suburban black population that is almost certainly wealthier and less "ghetto" than the black population of Englewood and in an era fifteen years later. And he's doing it right after Shelby County demonstrated that it is not "reverse racist" in the TN-09 primary. Sometimes I agree with htmldon and sometimes he just comes out as racist scum.
I was under the impression this was an inner-city school Tongue

Anyway, I believe you that Englewood is bad.  In fact, they banned kids from Dwight Morrow from playing on the tennis team because they would kick the crap out of the academy kids.  I just don't think its the same exact situation
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #54 on: August 15, 2008, 09:18:58 AM »

My advice is to consider an African American girl in a class of all whites, determine your answer to that, and choose the same answer for this situation.

My advice to you is to consider what you would do if your child were zoned into the 'worst' school in Nashville/Davidson County and you were deined a request to move your child to another school.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #55 on: August 15, 2008, 09:36:28 AM »

My advice to you is to consider what you would do if your child were zoned into the 'worst' school in Nashville/Davidson County and you were deined a request to move your child to another school.

So this school that your relative is going to, is it one of the worst in Memphis? Are you sure its not just middle class blacks?
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #56 on: August 15, 2008, 09:47:06 AM »

So this school that your relative is going to, is it one of the worst in Memphis? Are you sure its not just middle class blacks?
It's not even in Memphis. Memphis and suburban Shelby County maintain separate school districts.
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #57 on: August 15, 2008, 09:59:22 AM »

So should this family wait three years (approximate amount of time it takes for the few middle class blacks there are to evacuate and follow the whites east) then leave?
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #58 on: August 15, 2008, 10:10:45 AM »

So should this family wait three years (approximate amount of time it takes for the few middle class blacks there are to evacuate and follow the whites east) then leave?

So the school is getting pretty ghetto? I have noticed the best way to keep a school district at a good level is by making sure the community donates to the school( especially parents). I would think middle-class blacks would do that. But I guess middle class blacks also want to be where the money is and that is with white people. I guess she should be moved but the situation in the south seems kinda hopeless.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #59 on: August 15, 2008, 02:10:49 PM »

What school is it? Southwind? Highland Oaks? Oh, the horrors of 38125.
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -8.00

« Reply #60 on: August 15, 2008, 02:24:37 PM »

Really that few? Who knows maybe they might stay this time?
specific_name
generic_name
United States

« Reply #61 on: August 16, 2008, 02:37:18 AM »

Talking to a brick wall.
exopolitician
MATCHU[D]
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

« Reply #62 on: August 16, 2008, 02:45:26 AM »

Seriously? Suck it up and quit being stupid.
Sensei
senseiofj324
Atlas Icon
Panama

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -5.57

« Reply #63 on: August 16, 2008, 03:02:49 AM »

Also what kinda charter school puts in religious education? I find that disturbing. I dislike any public school giving kids theology unless it is educational.

The good ones maybe?
Well it is different if it is educational, but if it is like little kid things like "Okay kids Jesus loves you" then I would get pissed off. No federal funding should go to schools that activley promote Christianity much less any religion.
this.
Being non-adherent, I would be mortified if my kid went to a public school and was receiving anything but a secular education, only bringing up religion and the Bible in the context of history and literature.
Plant City Rebel
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 4.17

« Reply #64 on: August 18, 2008, 05:23:36 AM »

It's actually more of a separate class, which the parents have to sign permission slips for.  However, The entire school attends morning assembly together( in their respective classes), says the Pledge, hear announcements for the day, have a quick prayer and then adjourn to class.    On Wednesday, they have their religion class, or Character Education as they call it, over at the Church's Sanctuary that initially sponsored the school, and is now in the process of building a new campus for the school.  Of course, a bunch of financial support also comes from the parents.  It basically is a private school without the tuition.

What I like, at least coming from the aspect of my finishing my teaching certificate, is that the first year out of the gate, the school rated an "A" on the State's grading rubric, and it easily passed the states SOL testing.  It has also doubled its size( hence the new campus) but the classes still have stayed small, and the school itself has attracted some really great teachers.  Last year it was K-5, this year K-6, next year they are planning K-9, with K-12 to follow. 

As I'm finishing my degree, I honestly have plans to apply to teach at the school, most of the teachers there already have their children at the school with them.  It is an extended family.  My DD's teacher last year worked with my husband before finishing his education, so we already knew his personality etc.  This year she has a new teacher, but the school has already held meet and greets for the students and parents alike.

ottermax
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -6.09

P P
« Reply #65 on: August 18, 2008, 05:32:49 PM »

I'm am appalled by the amount of racism that some people are capable of.  It's quite disturbing. This is the problem and shame with America. Every other country has gotten past the point where race is an issue at all. We still blame each other for the problems in our country. Racists like the ones who live in this country are truly disgusting. Those are the people who should be deported out of this great country. So much progress is held back through racism. Maybe I should move somewhere like Canada or Brazil.

ugh. Shame on all of you who have an inkling of racism.

If my child were placed in the worst school in the area, I would not try to pull her out, but rather would question why the school is doing so poorly. Why is so little money spent on this school? Why is the education so poor?

The child is not the failure. The system is.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #66 on: August 18, 2008, 08:56:26 PM »
« Edited: August 18, 2008, 09:06:47 PM by ICE HOCKEY »

Despite my avatar, I have a lot of sympathy for don's friend.  No really.  I picked Option 2.  I'll be the first to tell you that the only white kid in an all black school simply won't work.  Or vice versa- my high school was 98% white and male at the time I went and no way in hell would I recommend a minority attend there until now because we gave a lot of "support to boost the athletics" if you know what I mean.  That's why my alma mater whooped Phil's in the Catholic league basketball championship!  A mixed race school is fine, but the reality is she'll get picked on and the damage done will be immense. 
Sensei
senseiofj324
Atlas Icon
Panama

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -5.57

« Reply #67 on: August 18, 2008, 09:00:24 PM »

Despite my avatar, I have a lot of sympathy for don's friend.  No really.  I picked Option 2.  I'll be the first to tell you that the only white kid in an all black school simply won't work.  Or vice versa- my high school was 98% white and male at the time I went and no way in hell would I recommend a minority attend there until now because we gave a lot of "support to boost the athletics" if you know what I mean.  A mixed race school is fine, but the reality is she'll get picked on and the damage done will be immense. 
Exactly. The issue here has nothing to do with racism.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #68 on: August 18, 2008, 09:03:02 PM »

Well, there is an empty house next door to me; the median price is under $50 K and has increased in value, even in this housing market [/sarcasm]

You're near Temple hospital right?  I heard that corridor on Broad St. might be the place to invest now.  I have a feeling Northeast Philly will get clobbered, if it isn't already.  Home prices rose too high, too fast here and had virtually nothing to show for it except save the 10 year tax abatement and New York speculators.  Funny, some neighborhoods INCREASED in value despite getting worse.  A lot of homes for sale here are FSBO's with 646 and 917 area codes with some Asian guy as seller.  Hmm??? 
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #69 on: August 19, 2008, 03:09:31 PM »

It's actually more of a separate class, which the parents have to sign permission slips for.  However, The entire school attends morning assembly together( in their respective classes), says the Pledge, hear announcements for the day, have a quick prayer and then adjourn to class.    On Wednesday, they have their religion class, or Character Education as they call it, over at the Church's Sanctuary that initially sponsored the school, and is now in the process of building a new campus for the school.  Of course, a bunch of financial support also comes from the parents.  It basically is a private school without the tuition.

That really disturbs me. It's like what my mom's school was like, except with only one religion instead of classes for each religion. Mind you, my mom went to school thirty years ago in Bangladesh.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #70 on: August 19, 2008, 04:39:59 PM »

Every other country has gotten past the point where race is an issue at all.

Hate to be blunt but please quit talking out of your ass. I've read a lot of your posts and you're way smarter then that.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #71 on: August 19, 2008, 10:05:40 PM »

Every other country has gotten past the point where race is an issue at all.

Hate to be blunt but please quit talking out of your ass. I've read a lot of your posts and you're way smarter then that.

I agree. There is a point to be made, but that's not the right one, ottermax.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #72 on: August 19, 2008, 10:34:48 PM »

Why is absurd that a student wouldn't want to go to an "all-gansta" class.   This has nothing to do with black or white really, I would never allow my kid to go to a public school in the ghetto no matter what the race.

Nice assumptions there that its an "all gangsta" class just because the students are black.  But what else would I expect from Down....
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #73 on: August 19, 2008, 10:56:04 PM »
« Edited: August 19, 2008, 11:01:29 PM by J. J. »

Well, there is an empty house next door to me; the median price is under $50 K and has increased in value, even in this housing market [/sarcasm]

You're near Temple hospital right?  I heard that corridor on Broad St. might be the place to invest now.  I have a feeling Northeast Philly will get clobbered, if it isn't already.  Home prices rose too high, too fast here and had virtually nothing to show for it except save the 10 year tax abatement and New York speculators.  Funny, some neighborhoods INCREASED in value despite getting worse.  A lot of homes for sale here are FSBO's with 646 and 917 area codes with some Asian guy as seller.  Hmm??? 

I live in an area that has been either African American or Hispanic for the last three decades.

Yes.  Median home prices have continued to increase and have increased 58% in value since 2000.  You might actually like it if you'd try it.  The do let white people in, with proper I.D. and good references.

This will actually surprise some of you, but States would actually be a good fit in terms of values with most of the people here.  (That is a compliment, States.)
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #74 on: August 19, 2008, 11:00:44 PM »

Despite my avatar, I have a lot of sympathy for don's friend.  No really.  I picked Option 2.  I'll be the first to tell you that the only white kid in an all black school simply won't work.  Or vice versa- my high school was 98% white and male at the time I went and no way in hell would I recommend a minority attend there until now because we gave a lot of "support to boost the athletics" if you know what I mean.  That's why my alma mater whooped Phil's in the Catholic league basketball championship!  A mixed race school is fine, but the reality is she'll get picked on and the damage done will be immense. 
Something tells me she isn't the only white kid in the school, likely an overexaggeration on dom's part.  On top of that is Dom is tryng to come off that this school will suddenly be ghetto, based off nothing other than his own racist views that mean black = ghetto.  If we were dealing with kids coming from Inner-city Memphis I can see him coming to this conclusion, but we are basically talking about middle class African Americans here with little or no change on the overall socio-economic status of the school.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies