My friend's daughter has been placed in an all-black class, What should they do?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 19, 2024, 02:27:33 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  My friend's daughter has been placed in an all-black class, What should they do?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6
Poll
Question: My friend's daughter has been placed in an all-black class thanks to busing.  What should they do? (Read the story first)
Save as much money as you can and send her to a private school ($5,000/yr minimum)

Move anywhere you have to to get her into a better public school

Keep your daughter in the all-black class, and get used to her calling herself a "hoe" and getting beat up

Surrender custody to a grandparent who lives in a different school zone

Move to Vermont, put on rose-colored-glasses, and vote for Obama.

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 91

Author Topic: My friend's daughter has been placed in an all-black class, What should they do?  (Read 25601 times)
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: February 08, 2021, 10:39:45 AM »
« edited: February 08, 2021, 10:44:05 AM by Senator tack50 (Lab-Lincoln) »

Honestly I wonder if a thread like this would be allowed to stand by the mods these days (or indeed if it will be deleted now, 13 years after the fact!). If the current mod team was around in 2008 it is not hard for me to see htmldon banned (assuming he made similar posts to this) and this thread locked (or outright deleted and infracted).

A couple posts also seem the kind that would easily be infracted these days
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #101 on: February 08, 2021, 10:49:35 AM »

Also, was busing still a thing in 2008? And in Tennessee of all places?
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #102 on: February 08, 2021, 11:08:59 AM »

Anyways, here go my actual thoughts on the US school selection system. My judgement is that it is absolutely terrible. While under normal circumstances kids should go to their nearest school; they should never ever be fully locked into it without the possibility of leaving like in htmldon's example; where the parents were denied a school change.

For a comparison, here you can apply to any school in the region you live in. Then there is a series of weights put in place, which go as follows:

>Do you have siblings at the school? Do your parents work at the school?
>Do you live; or your parents have their workplace in the school district, a neighbouring district or far away?*
>Are you poor?
>Do you have a disability?
>Are you considered a "big family"?
>Do you have good grades? (High school only)

In the case of a tie, start removing questions from the bottom of the list (so most important is siblings, then living in the school district). The people with the most points get into the school in question.

Some Spanish regions (notably Madrid) take it a step further and outright eliminated school dsitricts (ie they don't have the 2nd question on this list). Conservative advocates claim that this increases competition between schools while left wing detractors claim it is a handout to charter schools, which tend to be seen as more desirable.

For mandatory education, if you get denied from all schools you must be admited at your local school no matter what, but that is as a last resort option.

I think that is a better system that does not forcibly lock you into a school you don't want to attend. If htmldon's family happened to be located here, they could send their kids to any other school in the city, provided they had enough points in the ranking.

*: Yes, here not only your residence is considered. If you live in a suburb but your parents work in a company in the city centre; you are allowed to attend the city centre's school if you want. The reasoning behind it is that here parents will take their kids to school, and having your kids' school on your way to work is a very practical thing.

Also, I was told once that school funding in the US is directly tied to property tax in the school district. If it is true, that is a terrible system for reasons I hopefully don't have to explain too much (poor areas with lower property prices get poorly funded schools).
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #103 on: February 08, 2021, 11:12:52 AM »

Woah, what a blast from the past. Whatever happened to HTMLDon? Looks like he last posted in mid-2018 and last logged in in 2019.

He makes a lot of TN political maps on Twitter.  I think he's moved over there.

I haven't really read this thread, but, it can't be what it seems like it's about at first glance...right?
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #104 on: February 08, 2021, 11:17:52 AM »

I haven't really read this thread, but, it can't be what it seems like it's about at first glance...right?

Oh, it absolutely is. And there's a concerning amount of agreement.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #105 on: February 08, 2021, 11:23:39 AM »

He makes a lot of TN political maps on Twitter.  I think he's moved over there.

Have you ever heard the term “segregation academy”?
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #106 on: February 08, 2021, 11:28:28 AM »

Wow this thread is wildly racist.

Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #107 on: February 08, 2021, 11:30:36 AM »

When I was a kid, there were a few years where there was only one black kid (mayyyybe sometimes two).

Those kids didn’t leave, they continued going to school in an all white class.
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #108 on: February 08, 2021, 11:34:17 AM »
« Edited: February 08, 2021, 11:42:13 AM by GP270watch »

When I was a kid, there were a few years where there was only one black kid (mayyyybe sometimes two).

Those kids didn’t leave, they continued going to school in an all white class.

Yeah Black people have to navigate all white systems all the time. They don't have the luxury to just opt out or even complain most times.
Malarkey Decider
United States

« Reply #109 on: February 08, 2021, 11:37:44 AM »

I guess I would understand if it was just about the quality of education that the child was receiving, but there is way too much mention of race for me to give this argument any merit.
At-Large Senator LouisvilleThunder
LouisvilleThunder
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: 1.74

P P P
« Reply #110 on: February 08, 2021, 12:12:19 PM »

I guess the 3rd option would win the poll by a landslide these days (the 5th would be tempting for a lot though), lol. You have to admit it is refreshing to see a real conversation on the merits of the issue back then. Modern Atlas is way too cucked.
Old Man Willow
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #111 on: February 08, 2021, 12:18:27 PM »

Can't think of a response the hypocritical, double standard mods won't delete.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #112 on: February 08, 2021, 12:20:13 PM »

The amount of blatant, completely out in the open cross burning racism in this thread is absolutely disgusting.
Anti-Trump Truth Socialite JD Vance Enjoying Juror
NYDem
United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #113 on: February 08, 2021, 01:18:40 PM »
« Edited: February 08, 2021, 01:39:51 PM by NY-22 Lincoln Project Voter for Brindisi »

People of differing groups should not mingle with one another, especially so if they're poor, and especially so if they're children.

Why?

Because most of racism is rooted in some Freudian fear that different colored people are going to f**ck your kids.

It's that simple. It really is surprising how much that sentiment crops up, as recently as the Civil Rights movement, and going back to well before the Civil War. People would always bring up "race-mingling" with horror as a reason to keep the races separate, and would use "Would you let a black man have sex with your daughter?" as some kind of gotcha to anti-racists.

Take as example the response to Teddy Roosevelt's meeting with Booker T. Washington in 1901: "On 25 October the Missouri Sedalia Sentinel published on its front page a poem entitled 'n-rs in the White House,' which ended suggesting that either the president's daughter should marry Washington or his son one of Washington's relatives."

The same thing happened with Brown v. Board. White and Brown kids learning together means mixing, which leads to dating, which leads to interracial sex. It really says something about the derangement behind the whole issue.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #114 on: February 08, 2021, 01:27:11 PM »

People of differing groups should not mingle with one another, especially so if they're poor, and especially so if they're children.

Why?

I don't know the answer either, but am hoping that bronz will come into the thread to explain it to us.
Old Man Willow
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #115 on: February 08, 2021, 02:07:01 PM »

People of differing groups should not mingle with one another, especially so if they're poor, and especially so if they're children. Such an environment as that is basically the equivalent of lighting a match around a gas leak.

This isn't to say that the reason for these different groups being different groups is valid. Race is bullsh!t, and the only way for we to advance as a nation is to shed these identities and the conflicts associated with them. That ain't ever gonna happen though, unfortunate as that may be.

Citation needed.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #116 on: February 08, 2021, 02:47:32 PM »

I guess the 3rd option would win the poll by a landslide these days (the 5th would be tempting for a lot though), lol. You have to admit it is refreshing to see a real conversation on the merits of the issue back then. Modern Atlas is way too cucked.

There are no merits to this "issue."
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #117 on: February 08, 2021, 02:57:03 PM »

Grunching a 12-year old thread, but I don't understand how all clauses of this sentence can be simultaneously true.

The neighborhood they live in is mostly white, but black kids are bused in from lord knows where - and apparently the white families have evacuated moved.

John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #118 on: February 08, 2021, 03:44:53 PM »

I'm not racist. I hate poor black people and poor white people equally.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #119 on: February 08, 2021, 04:10:26 PM »

Ah yes, the merits of *checks notes*, pulling a kid out of a school because there are too many black people. And then you wonder why nobody wants to vote for your deranged party. I feel bad for people like Cao and YT, you drag them down.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #120 on: February 08, 2021, 07:38:25 PM »

holy sh*t wow

Guess it's time Atlas start grappling with its own history of racism.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #121 on: February 08, 2021, 07:40:50 PM »

Can't think of a response the hypocritical, double standard mods won't delete.
Are you being serious?
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #122 on: February 08, 2021, 09:13:41 PM »

The amount of blatant, completely out in the open cross burning racism in this thread is absolutely disgusting.
walleye26

« Reply #123 on: February 08, 2021, 09:30:13 PM »

Why was this bumped exactly?
TheReckoning
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #124 on: February 08, 2021, 09:38:58 PM »

I mean, if the kid was getting faced with a bunch racism, I can’t blame her from wanting to leave.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies