Bryan defeats McKinley, 1896!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 18, 2024, 01:12:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  Bryan defeats McKinley, 1896!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 ... 39
Author Topic: Bryan defeats McKinley, 1896!  (Read 163610 times)
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #350 on: March 08, 2009, 11:36:24 AM »

Presidential Debate: October 14th, 1948

Moderator: Edward R Murrow

Participants:

President Landon

Senator Harry Truman

Senator Burton Wheeler

Governor Strom Thurmond
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #351 on: March 08, 2009, 12:21:00 PM »

Murrow: Welcome everyone to the Presidential debate of 1948.  We're broadcasting this debate for the first time on television.  We hope you enjoy seeing this from your living rooms.  Anyways, our first question will go to President Landon.  What is your plan to deal with Communism?

Landon: Well, first I want to thank all 3 of my opponents for showing up tonight.  Now, as far as Communism goes, we need to stop it.  If we have to we will fight the Soviets just so they don't bring Communism over here to the U.S.  The same goes with Korea because their government is just very wrong.

Truman: I, too, would like to thank you all for showing up to this debate.  Now, Communism....well we need to combat that right away.  One way is just talking with them and that might be a possibility but that probably wouldn't solve the problem.  Ending Communism is something we need to do right away.  We can't have Communist governments all over.  That'd be bad.

Wheeler: As far as Communism goes, I think talking is the best way.  War never helps anyone get what they want.  It always gets you revenge.  I believe that peace talks are the key to our success with Communism.

Thurmond: In my honest opinion, I believe Communism is an evil that must be stopped.  We must wage war against all Communist nations.  However, we also need to deal with Communists here in America.  What I propose we do is send them all to jail and make them learn their lessons for belonging to that party.

Murrow: Alright.  Next question.  Tell me what your plan would be over the next 4 years.  go ahead Senator Truman.

Truman: If I'm elected one of my first priorities will be to deal with Communism.  I will take a look at what has worked best when dealing with those nations.  Another issue I'd try to persue is integrate the military.  That's an issue thats close to my heart because I've seen the hatred of African Americans in society and it just burns me up to see it.

Landon: If I'm re-elected I will continue our policies that have brought us onto great progress.  I will help clean up Europe so they can get back on their feet after this horrible war.  This is something that the late President Wilkie would've wanted us to do.

Thurmond: The first thing I would do would be to bring the Southern policies to the whole United States.  We need to show that the white race is the dominant race in America.  I would appoint police officers to uphold this law so that we'd be better off.  That's one of my main plans if I'm elected.

Wheeler: Americans, if I am lucky enough to be elected President in November I will try to keep all my promises to you.  I haven't seen much of the promises that either the Democrats or Republicans made come true.  That's why this November a Progressive victory will be one that will shock the world.

Murrow: Last question.  How do you plan to help Europe clean up its mess after 6 years of war?

Wheeler: I plan to give them some aid by having soldiers stay there to help rebuild the buildings and help keep the new German government together.  Getting a new German government is the key.  We can't have any more Hitlers running around.

Truman: As far as aiding Europe, I can say that giving them federal money and helping them rebuild is the correct option.  I haven't seen President Landon do any of that so far.  Thats why a Democrat is better than a Republican at this time in our lives.

Thurmond: We can't keep throwing money everywhere or we will lose it.  I believe we should stay there and make sure the Germans don't harm anymore Americans than they already have.

Landon: Americans, I am working with Congress on reconstruction plans right at the moment.  We're trying to decide what needs to be done and how it should be done.  I'm planning a meeting to meet with Speaker Joseph Martin and Senator Robert Taft to discuss how we shall do this.  I also am planning to meet with Britain and other nations in Europe as that's the best route we can go at this time.

Murrow: Alright Americans.  You saw it here tonight.  Now don't forget to vote on Election Day in November.  It's your right as an American to do so.  Thank you and goodnight.  I'm Edward Murrow.  Goodbye for now.  Thanks.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #352 on: March 09, 2009, 11:20:54 AM »

ELECTION 1948:

EV's: Landon 283, Truman 156, Thurmond 50, Wheeler 42

PV%: Landon 42%, Truman 36%, Wheeler 19%, Thurmond 3%. 

Note: Thurmond was only on the ballot in the South so thats why only 3%.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #353 on: March 09, 2009, 11:35:04 AM »

Congressional Results, 1948:
House: 239 Reps, 185 Dems, 11 Progs.
Senate: 53 Reps, 38 Dems, 5 Progs.

The Republicans still kept their majority in both Houses.  However, the Democrats did win 2 seats in the House.

President Landon states "This has been a very good victory for the Republicans.  I'm proud the American people gave us a mandate.  We defeated the Democrats in one of their worst defeats yet and I'm proud of that.  Let's go forward and prove that we can more accomplishments done."

Next Congress starts January 3rd, 1949.  Inauguration: January 20, 1949.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #354 on: March 09, 2009, 01:13:56 PM »

Congress begins it new session on January 3rd.  The same leaders from last time.

January 20th: President Landon is inaugurated for his full 2nd term.

President Landon states "America, we are on the right track to moving forward here.  In my second term I hope to accomplish alot more than we've been able to.  I believe that we all can help Europe in their time of need because of the mess their still in.  I plan to listen to what Democratic leader Alben Barkley and Progressive leader Burton Wheeler have to say.  I also plan to get some support from the other 2 parties on the bills passed.  This will show unity in Washington that we really need. Thank you and God Bless America."

Then in March President Landon signs the North Atlantic Treaty which creates NATO.  It's first leader was Lord Ismay.

Speaker Joe Martin brings up the Central Intelligence Act of 1949.  The House vote is 265-168.

Then Senate Leader Robert Taft brings up the bill about a week or so later.  He states "This is a must for passing.  We must have security in America and this is one way to do it."

The Senate vote on the bill is 64-30 and so it passes.  The next day President Landon signs it into law.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #355 on: March 09, 2009, 09:41:32 PM »

Representative Franklin Frazier (P-MD) and Representative Sam Rayburn (D-TX) both urged Speaker Joe Martin to bring up a bill in the House about minimum wage and more child labor restrictions.

Speaker Martin stated he will bring it up soon.

When it is brought up the vote is 233-200 against the bill.  Therefore, it fails to be sent to the Senate.

The Progressive party gangs up on the other 2 parties stating "This is what you get when you have a Democrat or Republican in power."  They plan to win a few more seats in both Houses the following year based on this vote and a few other things.

In early June there are some celebrities being kept an eye on because they might be affiliated with the Communist Party.

President Landon addresses this issue "Americans, we still are having problems with Communism.  It's here at home and that's what we need to stop.  Communist nations never do any good anyways.  They just fail most of the time and nothing good comes out of them.  Well Americans be safe and say no to Communism."

Over the next several months not much is going on.  One notable thing though is, the Republic of China is formed in early October.

Wait and see what else happens ok?
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #356 on: March 10, 2009, 03:28:37 PM »

Then Speaker Martin brings up the National Science Foundation Act of 1950 in January of that year.

The House vote is 250-181.  It passes and then moves on toward the Senate.  Senator Robert Taft states he will have a vote on it in a day or so.

When it finally does get to the Senate the vote is 59-33.  On February 19, 1950 President Landon signs it into law.

During the summer of 1950 President Landon states we will go to war with Korea and defeat Communism.  "Americans must help stop Communism" he states.

That fall President Landon starts campaigning for Republicans that fall.  "Republicans, let's get together this fall and keep the progress going.  Americans are greatful to us for everything we've done over the last 6 years.  On Election Day 1950 vote Republican."

Up next: Midterm Elections.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #357 on: March 10, 2009, 05:39:23 PM »

By October 1950 UN forces went into Korea and pushed the North forces back behind the 38th Parallel.

some Democrats started saying "We don't believe Americans want another war at this time.  War should be a last resort.  I guess those Republicans are warmongers.  We need to spend money here at home on Education, science and other issues that we face here in America."

Democrats believe they have a good chance to win at least the House back this fall.  Senate Democrat Alben Barkley states "President Landon didn't officially declare war on Korea.  However, we do need to combat Communism somehow."

Senator Burton Wheeler states "I can't believe the other two parties would consider going to war after we just got out of another big war.  Their hypocrites.  I repeat, Democrats and Republicans are just going to continue to go to war unless you show them you dont want them to by electing more and more Progressives."

Midterm, 1950:
House: 213 Dems, 206 Reps, 16 Progs.
Senate: 48 Reps, 41 Dems, 7 Progs.

The Democrats now have the House but the Republicans still have the Senate.

New Speaker of the House: Sam Rayburn.  Senate Leader: Robert Taft

President Landon states "I will work well with the Democrats in the House.  We can work together and be united as a country and not divided by party.  That's what we really need here in Washington and it's something I've been pressing for since I've been in office."
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #358 on: March 10, 2009, 11:02:17 PM »

January 3rd, 1951 the 82nd Congress begins it session.

New Speaker Sam Rayburn scheduled a vote right away on the Fair Labor Standards Amendment.  The House votes 234-199 in favor of the bill.  The bill (which had failed in the previous Congress) was onto the Senate now.

Senate Leader Robert Taft states "This will be brought up in the Senate but it will fail because I don't believe that this is appropriate."

Taft schedules a vote sometime in February.  Stay tuned.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #359 on: March 11, 2009, 03:56:25 PM »
« Edited: March 11, 2009, 04:11:55 PM by TommyC1776 »

The Senate vote on the Fair Labor Standards Amendment is 50-46 against the bill.  Therefore it fails in the Senate.

In mid April, Speaker Rayburn started debate on the Mutual Security Act. Theres a debate over spending but it still ends up passing 237-193.

BREAKING NEWS: VICE PRESIDENT VANDENBERG DIES APRIL 18TH, 1951.

President Landon states "I'm going to miss the Vice President.  He was a great person and fought hard for the Republican cause.  One thing that made the Vice President important was he fought against the former Roosevelt administration.  He will be surely missed.  God Bless Vice President Vandenberg.  May you rest in peace."

At this point, with 2 deaths within the last 8 years, the House schedules a vote to pass an Amendment about replacing the VP.  Rayburn schedules a vote in June.

A few weeks later the Senate votes on the mutual security bill.  The Senate vote is 55-41.  President Landon signs it into law the next day.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #360 on: March 11, 2009, 04:19:43 PM »

June 1951:

Vice Presidential Replacement Amendment is being debated in the House.

The House votes 256-174.  Then it is sent directly to the Senate.

Senator Robert Taft schedules a vote later that week.  The Senate votes 61-32.  Then it is sent to the states to get the Amendment ratified.

Meanwhile, there is Armistace negotiations at Kaesong.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #361 on: March 12, 2009, 08:15:17 PM »

Speaker Rayburn brings up the Veteran's Readjustment Act of 1951 which offered benefits to people who served in the Korean War.  It also stated that the money will not send money directly to the soldiers school of choice but to the soldier themselves.

The House vote is 261-171.  Then the Senate will bring it up soon.

Meanwhile, back to the war, the Battle of Bloody Ridge takes place.

Battle of Bloody Ridge
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #362 on: March 13, 2009, 03:41:00 PM »
« Edited: March 13, 2009, 03:49:05 PM by TommyC1776 »

The new Amendment to replace the VP if something happens has got the support of 40 states, enough to make it an Amendment.

Therefore, President Landon states his pick for VP will be Thomas E. Dewey.  The House and the Senate both have to vote to confirm him.

Meanwhile, President Landon states "I will not be a candidate for President in 1952.  It's time for me to leave the stage and let someone else have it. Thank you again supporters.  It's really been a pleasure to serve you."

Therefore, the race for President in 1952 is an open one.

Declared candidates for each party are:

Democratic Party:
Senator Harry S. Truman
Former DNC Chair James Farley
Governor Adlai Stevenson
Ambassador Averell Harriman

Republican Party:
Senator Robert Taft
Governor Earl Warren
Governor Thomas E. Dewey
Former Governor Harold Stassen

Progressive Party:
Senator Glen Taylor
Representative Franklin Frazier
Senator Henry Wallace
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #363 on: March 14, 2009, 12:08:52 PM »
« Edited: March 14, 2009, 12:11:47 PM by TommyC1776 »

In early January 1952, Speaker Sam Rayburn has the House vote on whether to confirm Thomas Dewey.  The House vote is going to determine whether or not the Dewey nomination goes through.

The House votes 220-215 to let Thomas E. Dewey become VP.  Now the nomination goes to the Senate where it will decide who's fit to become VP.

President Landon states "Let's get this process over with so we can continue our success into our last year in office.  I want the Republican Party to win in 1952."

Meanwhile, at the end of January, the Senate votes 53-41 to have Thomas E. Dewey as Vice President.

Therefore, our new VP is Thomas E. Dewey.

BREAKING NEWS: THOMAS E. DEWEY IS OUR NEW VICE PRESIDENT.

Dewey resigns as NY Governor on February 8th.  "New Yorkers, I'm sorry to leave you now but my country calls me to serve in another office.  Thank you for the last 9 years as your Governor."

Newly appointed Vice President Dewey is inaugurated on February 10th, 1952.  "Americans, I am glad to be able to serve as Vice President at this time.  Over the next year I will prove great leadership in this post.  Let's go now and hope the Landon/Dewey team will make a great America for the years to come.  Thank you."

Up next is the primaries.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #364 on: March 14, 2009, 01:51:09 PM »

New Hampshire: March 11th

Democratic: 8 delegates
Harriman 40%-3 delegates
Stevenson 34%-3 delegates
Truman 20%-2 delegates
Farley 6%

On the Democratic side there is no clear frontrunner.

Republican:14 delegates
Dewey 47%-7 delegates
Taft 40%-6 delegates
Warren 10%-1 delegate
Stassen 3%

On the Republican side Vice President Dewey is the current frontrunner.

Progressive: 5 delegates
Taylor 51%-3 delegates
Wallace 37%-2 delegates
Frazier 12%

On the Progressive side Senator Glen Taylor is the frontrunner.

Wait and see what else happens.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #365 on: March 14, 2009, 01:58:18 PM »

President Landon stumping for Vice President Dewey.

President Landon starts campaigning hard for the Vice President.  "I know Thomas E. Dewey's the best candidate for Republicans in 1952.  I do however respect Senator Robert Taft but he's just not the right candidate at this time.  He's too old for the Republican Party while Vice President Dewey can bring some youth to this party.  Alright, remember on primary day vote Dewey.  Thank you."
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #366 on: March 14, 2009, 02:21:17 PM »

Minnesota: March 18th

Democratic: 26 delegates
Stevenson 42%-11 delegates
Harriman 34%-9 delegates
Truman 21%-5 delegates
Farley 3%-1 delegate

James Farley drops out and endorses Adlai Stevenson for the nomination.

Republican: 28 delegates
Stassen 50%-14 delegates
Dewey 24%-8 delegates
Taft 18%-5 delegates
Warren 8%-1 delegate

Progressive: 19 delegates
Wallace 48%-9 delegates
Taylor 43%-8 delegates
Frazier 9%-2 delegates

Total delegates so far:

Democratic:
Stevenson 15 delegates (including Farley delegate)
Harriman 12 delegates
Truman 7 delegates

Republican:
Dewey 15 delegates
Stassen 14 delegates
Taft 11 delegates
Warren 2 delegates

Dewey is still the frontrunner but has close competition with Stassen and Taft.

Progressive:
Taylor 11 delegates
Wallace 11 delegates
Frazier 2 delegates
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #367 on: March 14, 2009, 02:34:21 PM »

WWII General Douglas MacArthur endorses Harold Stassen for the Republican nomination.

Douglas MacArthur

The General states "Stassen was a military man and people in the military stick together.  Therefore I am endorsing Governor Harold Stassen for the Republican nomination in 1952.  He will lead it well and has the strength to hold the party together."

This is a big endorsement.  Governor Stassen states "I want to thank the General for his endorsement of me for the nomination of the Republican Party."

The endorsement is a big blow to Vice President Dewey who had hoped MacArthur would endorse him.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #368 on: March 14, 2009, 02:40:34 PM »

Polls for the upcoming Nebraska primary:

Nebraska Republicans:
Dewey 35%
Stassen 32%
Taft 24%
Warren 5%
Undecided 4%

Nebraska Democrats:
Stevenson 45%
Harriman 37%
Truman 17%
Undecided 1%

Nebraska Progressives:
Taylor 54%
Wallace 40%
Frazier 5%
Undecided 1%
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #369 on: March 14, 2009, 03:30:55 PM »

Nebraska: April 1st

Democratic:12 delegates
Stevenson 40%-5 delegates
Truman 32%-4 delegates
Harriman 28%-3 delegates

Republican:18 delegates
Dewey 38%-7 delegates
Stassen 31%-6 delegates
Taft 27%-5 delegates
Warren 4%

Progressives: 9 delegates
Taylor 47%-4 delegates
Wallace 42%-4 delegates
Frazier 11%-1 delegate

Wisconsin: April 1st

Democratic: 28 delegates
Stevenson 48%-13 delegates
Harriman 40%-11 delegates
Truman 12%-4 delegates

Republican: 30 delegates
Stassen 42%-13 delegates
Taft 37%-11 delegates
Dewey 18%-5 delegates
Warren 3%-1 delegate

Governor Earl Warren drops out and endorses Robert Taft.

Progressive:20 delegates
Taylor 49%-10 delegates
Wallace 40%-8 delegates
Frazier 11%-2 delegates

Representative Franklin Frazier drops out and endorses Senator Taylor.

Total delegates in a few.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #370 on: March 14, 2009, 03:32:11 PM »

Go Stassen!
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #371 on: March 14, 2009, 03:40:44 PM »

Total delegates so far:

Democratic:
Stevenson 29 delegates
Harriman 26 delegates
Truman 15 delegates

Republican:
Stassen 33 delegates
Taft 30 delegates
Dewey 27 delegates

Progressive:
Taylor 30 delegates
Wallace 23 delegates
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #372 on: March 14, 2009, 09:41:02 PM »
« Edited: March 14, 2009, 09:42:51 PM by TommyC1776 »

BREAKING NEWS: SENATOR HARRY S. TRUMAN DROPS OUT OF DEMOCRATIC NOMINATION.

Truman declares "Adlai Stevenson is the best candidate for the Democrats at this time."

Stevenson states "I want to thank the Senator from Missouri for his support.  I'm happy to have his support at this time.  Thanks Senator."

Meanwhile, President Landon goes across the country on a pro-Dewey tour.  He states "Vice Presdent Dewey is our best chance for a win this fall.  Vote for a real leader.  Vote for Thomas E Dewey.  He's a very well liked man and very well respected."

Up next: more primaries.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #373 on: March 14, 2009, 09:55:02 PM »

Presidential Debate scheduled for October 21st, 1952.  It will be moderated by David Brinkley.

Participants: Democratic nominee, Republican nominee, Progressive nominee and the Socialist nominee.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #374 on: March 15, 2009, 11:14:58 AM »

Illinois: April 8th

Democratic: 60 delegates
Stevenson 65%-39 delegates
Harriman 35%-21 delegates

Republican: 60 delegates
Taft 40%-24 delegates
Stassen 39%-23 delegates
Dewey 21%-13 delegates

Progressive:40 delegates
Taylor 54%-22 delegates
Wallace 46%-18 delegates

Senator Henry Wallace decides to drop out and endorse Senator Taylor.

BREAKING NEWS: GLEN TAYLOR IS THE PRESUMPTIVE PROGRESSIVE NOMINEE
Senator Glen Taylor
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 ... 39  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies