Bryan defeats McKinley, 1896!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 10:24:22 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  Bryan defeats McKinley, 1896!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 ... 39
Author Topic: Bryan defeats McKinley, 1896!  (Read 163368 times)
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #325 on: February 02, 2009, 05:26:23 PM »

Barkley! No!!!! I always liked him.

dont worry.  u may see him back.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #326 on: February 05, 2009, 09:17:57 PM »
« Edited: February 05, 2009, 09:23:51 PM by TommyC1776 »

Progressive Party Convention:

The Progressives meet at the beginning of June 1944.

Burton K Wheeler is the Presidential nominee.  He selected Henry Wallace as his running mate.  Thus the Progressives have the same ticket as they had in 1940.

Senator Wheeler states "Progressives lets show America 1944 is our year.  We need better leadership than President Wilkie and the Democrats in Congress havent really done much.   Lets go forward and have a very good showing."

Ticket: Wheeler/Wallace 1944.

Republican Party Convention:

When the Republicans gather at there convention they renominate the President and Vice President.

President Wilkie tells delegates "We're doing well now.  We're winning the war and we will keep winning.  I know Republicans can help people become safe.  Let's also hope Republicans get majorities in Congress.  Thank you.  Thank you."

Ticket: Wilkie/Landon 1944.

Democratic Party Convention:

The Democrats renominate fmr President Franklin Roosevelt on the first ballot.  He selects Alben Barkley as his running mate.

FDR states "America.  We havent seene much going on during the last 4 years.  President Wilkie isnt doing as good a job as I had been doing.  He hasnt done much for the economy.  The Democrats in Congress havent been able to get much done because of his leadership.  We can do better.  Elect me again in November.  Thanks."

Ticket: Roosevelt/Barkley 1944.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #327 on: February 06, 2009, 02:46:10 PM »

Campaign 1944:

President Wilkie states "America, if you re-elect me your taxes will be low, you will have less government involvement.  One other thin you will still have is Social Security.  You wont have a big government like you had under President Roosevelt."

President Roosevelt states "We cant trust this President.  He's not looking out for the common man.  When I was President I looked toward the common man and helped them.  Lets go forward and make sure I'm elected in November."

The Progressives are hoping that 1944 will be their year.  Senator Wheeler states "I know we, Progressives, can win.  We're the party of the common man not the Democrats, as they say they are.  Lets show America a Progressive can be elected President.  Thank you."

Wait and see what else happens.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #328 on: February 06, 2009, 03:36:41 PM »

BREAKING NEWS: President Wilkie suffers 3rd Heart Attack so far.  Rushed to Hospital.

Vice President Landon states (a few hours later) "The President's doing alright.  He will be in the hospital for at least a few days.  No questions please."

President Roosevelt and Senator Wheeler stop campaigning for a couple days while President Wilkie recovers in the hospital.

2 Days Later: President Wilkie is released.  He promises Republicans "I'm fine.  I really am." when they consider nominating someone else.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #329 on: February 06, 2009, 09:34:22 PM »

Theres one scheduled Presidential debate for October 10th.  It will be moderated by Edward R. Murrow.  This will also be broadcast on Television (to the areas that have it-NYC, DC and parts of PA) and radio.   This will also be put on Newsreels.

Meanwhile, Senator Barkley states "America must let Roosevelt have another 4 years in the White House if you want real change.  We haven't had much during the last 4 years with President Wilkie."

President Wilkie makes his first campaign speech, since the heart attack.  "I'm back and I'm ready to win in November."  Some people have considered the President to be strong by fighting back after his heart problems.

Well, wait and see what happens.

it's almost October 1944.  Get excited ok?
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #330 on: February 11, 2009, 03:08:31 PM »

BREAKING NEWS: President Wilkie dies on October 8th, 1944.

Vice President Alf Landon is sworn in as President.

Now the Republicans decide that at the end of October they will hold another convention to nominate a VP candidate.

Therefore the Presidential Debate of 1944 is cancelled.

Roosevelt and Wheeler halt campaigning in honor of the fallen President.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #331 on: February 11, 2009, 03:21:14 PM »
« Edited: February 11, 2009, 03:22:48 PM by TommyC1776 »

President Landon states "Americans today we lost a great American.  He lead us through war and has got us closer to peace with Europe than we had seen before.  Let's remember President Wilkie and keep him in our prayers."

2nd Republican Party Convention:

Newly Republican President Landon is nominated for President on the first ballot.  He selects Senator Arthur Vandenburg as his running mate.

The Republicans nominate Landon/Vandenburg.

Next campaigning resumes and then the election of 1944.  Get ready.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #332 on: February 11, 2009, 05:22:53 PM »
« Edited: February 18, 2009, 11:43:51 AM by TommyC1776 »

EV: Landon/Vandenburg 273, Roosevelt/Barkley 234, Wheeler/Wallace 24.
PV%: Landon 45% Roosevelt 40% Wheeler 15%.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #333 on: February 18, 2009, 11:47:30 AM »
« Edited: February 18, 2009, 11:51:26 AM by TommyC1776 »

Congressional Results, 1944:
House: 215 Reps, 209 Dems, 11 Progs.
Senate: 46 Dems, 46 Reps, 4 Progs.

The Republicans have control in both Houses of Congress.  The Senate is tied at 46 so the Republicans, since VP Vandenburg is a Republican, have control.

President Landon states "Former President Wilkie didn't get to see it but the Republicans now have control in all the branches in government, which they haven't had since 1933."
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #334 on: February 18, 2009, 03:40:40 PM »

The new Congress begins January 3rd, 1945.

Senate Party Leaders:
Republican: Robert Taft
Democratic: Alben Barkley
Progressive: Burton Wheeler

On January 20th, 1945 President Landon is inaugurated.  He tells Americans "We must keep sticking together to finish this war.  We've almost got to the finish line and we will be done hopefully sometime this year.  I am planning to meet with Prime Minister Winston Churchill as well as Soviet Secretary Joseph Stalin to discuss what the plan is for after the war.  Keep the faith Americans and you will be fine.  Thank you."

In early February President Landon goes to meet with Churchill and Stalin at Yalta.  They discuss post war Germany.  One of the agreements is that Germany would be split into 4 different zones.  At the end of the month Americans win the Battle of Iwo Jima when they reach the top of Mount Suribachi.

TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #335 on: February 18, 2009, 03:46:05 PM »
« Edited: March 04, 2009, 11:27:31 PM by TommyC1776 »

APRIL 1945:

BREAKING NEWS: FORMER PRESIDENT ROOSEVELT DIES APRIL 12TH, 1945.

BREAKING NEWS: GERMAN LEADER ADOLF HITLER DIES APRIL 30TH, 1945
Adolf Hitler
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #336 on: February 18, 2009, 06:07:18 PM »
« Edited: June 07, 2010, 10:23:47 PM by TommyC1776 »

GERMANS SURRENDER MAY 8TH 1945

Then a month later the United Nations Charter is signed.

A few weeks later the House passes the Export-Import Bank of the United States to insure foreign finances.  It barely passes 220-210.  Then it goes to the Senate where it passes 51-45.

President Landon signs it into law on July 19, 1945.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #337 on: March 04, 2009, 11:36:22 PM »

In August 1945 President Landon decides to drop 2 bombs in Japan to see if they surrender.

The 2 sites picked are Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

BREAKING NEWS: Japan surrenders to the Allies in August.
A month later the House debates the United Nations Participation Act and they vote 250-183.  Then the Senate votes on it 57-36.  It passes both chambers of Congress and it's signed by President Landon on November 5, 1945.

Wait and see what happens.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #338 on: March 04, 2009, 11:49:43 PM »

A week later Congress debates the Spouses And Children War Act which allows soldier's spouses and adopted kids to come back into the U.S.  This helped remove the ban on Asian's.

Senate Majority Leader Robert Taft said "Anything pertaining to our soldiers should be voted on as aye not nay."

So the House brings up the bill and it votes 243-190.  A few days later, Senator Taft brings it to the Senate for debate.

In the Senate they debate it for a week or so and it finally passes 55-37.  President Landon signs it into law on December 1, 1945.

On December 7, 1945 President Landon flys to Hawaii to give a speech to all the wounded soldiers there and tells them "Americans, we won this war and we can't forget that.  However we must remember our fellow Americans who went before us in war.  They will be missed and today I just wanted to be here to talk with you all.  Thank you."

Get ready for 1946 as the Republicans hope to gain more seats in the Senate and House.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #339 on: March 05, 2009, 10:43:37 AM »

In the spring of 1946 Representative Hartley (of NJ) brings up a bill regarding labor unions.  He states "I believe people shouldn't have to join a union if they don't want to.  It's my belief it puts pressure on the person to pay for something they don't want."  President Landon states "I will sign this into law should the vote be in favor of it."

Progressive Senate Leader Burton Wheeler is against this bill and says "This bill is very anti-union and I will do whatever I can to stop it."

The House vote is scheduled for March 1st.  The House votes 220-210 against this bill. The Progressives are one of the factors in it not passing, as all 11 in the House vote in the negative.

Hartley states "I will make sure the next session gets a vote on this bill."

In the meantime, President Landon starts campaigning for Republicans in the fall.

Up next: Midterm Elections
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #340 on: March 05, 2009, 11:07:23 AM »

Midterm Elections, 1946:

House: 227 Reps, 196 Dems, 12 Progs.
Senate: 50 Reps, 41 Dems, 5 Progs.

Despite the opposition to the union bill, the Republicans retained a majority.  They won 12 seats in the House and 4 seats in the Senate.  The Progressives won 1 seat in both Houses.

Speaker of the House Joseph Martin states "Us Republicans can now get a few things done as we have a better majority than we did 2 years ago.  Let's go forward and get more done."

Senate Majority Leader Robert Taft states "I'm glad we won more seats in the Senate this year.  It could've gone either way but I'm glad it went our way.  Now in January lets get to work on that labor union bill that we've been working on."

January 3rd, 1947 the 80th session of Congress starts.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #341 on: March 05, 2009, 02:33:42 PM »

As Congress convenes in January the House is looking to bring up a Union bill.  Representative Hartley (the main sponsor of the bill) meets with other House members and Senate members as well.

Speaker Martin sets February 8th as the date for the vote on it.  This bill will come to be known as the Taft-Hartley Act.

The House votes 244-187 in favor of the bill so it passes.  The Senate then votes on it a few days later.  The Senate vote is 54-42.  President Landon signs this legislation into law on February 17th, 1947.

Then a few weeks later President Landon made a speech to the nation concerning aid to Greece and Turkey.  The President had hoped that Greece and Turkey wouldn't become Communist.

Congress, by this time, was debating the National Security Act of 1947.  This bill would make the Department of the Navy and the Department of War into one National Military Establishment. (which in turn would become the Secretary of Defense).
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #342 on: March 06, 2009, 12:44:32 AM »
« Edited: March 06, 2009, 10:38:12 AM by TommyC1776 »

The National Security Act of 1947 is brought up in the House and it passes 260-175.  The Senate then brings it up and its passed 60-36.  President Landon signs it into law the next day.

Then in April 1947 Harry Truman announces he will run for the Democratic nomination for President in 1948.

Months later South Carolina Governor Strom Thurmond announces he will seek the Democratic nomination and challenge Truman.  Thurmond states "I can't see the Democratic Party nominate a candidate, anymore, who embraces black people."

polls for the Democratic nomination show Truman 60%, Thurmond 23% and other 17%.  Then former DNC chair James Farley announces he will be a candidate for the Democrats as well.

On August 19, 1947 President Landon announces "Today Americans I'm officially a candidate for re-election next year.  Let's continue our progress over the last 8 years.  We've done alot especially with regards to the war and winning it."

By December 1947 the Progressive Party has 3 candidates running.  They are Senators Henry Wallace, Burton Wheeler and Glen Taylor.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #343 on: March 06, 2009, 11:19:44 AM »

Vice President Vandenburg states "America must re-elect the Landon/Vandenburg team in November.  We've proven great leadership over the past 4 years.  Let's continue and make a great Republican victory this fall.  Thank you."

Poll for Democratic nomination:
Truman 65%
Thurmond 24%
Farley 5%
Undecided 6%.

Poll for Progressive nomination:
Wheeler 57%
Wallace 30%
Taylor 12%
Undecided 1%.

Senate Democratic Leader Alben Barkley announces "Americans we must make sure Senator Harry S Truman is the Democratic nominee.  He's our best chance this fall.  Governor Strom Thurmond isn't the right candidate.  He would make the Democrats lose alot of seats this fall.  Thats why we must show the Republicans we mean business by selecting Harry Truman as our nominee in 1948."
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #344 on: March 06, 2009, 11:59:40 AM »

1948 Primaries:

New Hampshire: March 9th

Democratic: 12 delegates
Truman 67%-8 delegates
Thurmond 27%-3 delegates
Farley 6%-1 delegate

Progressive: 7 delegates
Wheeler 54%-4 delegates
Wallace 37%-2 delegates
Taylor 9%-1 delegate

Truman is the Democratic frontrunner (no surprise) while the Progressives are split among all 3 of their candidates.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #345 on: March 06, 2009, 03:01:03 PM »

One Presidential debate scheduled this year.  October 14, 1948.  It will be broadcast on all 4 networks (just a reminder there was a 4th network called DuMont at the time).

Wisconsin: April 6th

Democratic: 24 delegates
Truman 70%-17 delegates
Thurmond 21%-5 delegates
Farley 9%-2 delegates

Progressive: 14 delegates
Wheeler 51%-7 delegates
Wallace 43%-6 delegates
Taylor 6%-1 delegate

Senator Glen Taylor decides to drop out and endorse Senator Henry Wallace for the Progressive nomination in 1948.

Illinois: April 13th

Democratic: 60 delegates
Truman 69%-41 delegates
Thurmond 25%-15 delegates
Farley 6%-4 delegates

Progressive: 38 delegates
Wheeler 53%-20 delegates
Wallace 47%-18 delegates

Nebraska: April 13th

Democratic: 12 delegates
Truman 71%-9 delegates
Thurmond 24%-3 delegates
Farley 5%

Progressive: 7 delegates
Wallace 55%-4 delegates
Wheeler 45%-3 delegates

Total delegates so far:

Democratic delegates:
Truman-75 delegates
Thurmond-26 delegates
Farley-7 delegates

Progressive delegates:
Wheeler-34 delegates
Wallace-32 delegates
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #346 on: March 06, 2009, 03:06:29 PM »

BREAKING NEWS: STROM THURMOND WITHDRAWS FROM RACE BUT REFUSES TO ENDORSE TRUMAN

Strom Thurmond decides to consider running as a States Rights candidate.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #347 on: March 07, 2009, 12:54:09 AM »

James Farley announces his withdrawal from the Dem race.  "Today Americans, I'm leaving the race for the Democratic nominee for President.  I therefore am going to endorse Senator Harry Truman for the Presidency.  He will lead our party well and be a strong candidate for us against President Landon this fall."

After victories in New Jersey, Massachusetts and Pennsylvania Burton Wheeler is the presumptive Progressive nominee (again) after Senator Henry Wallace drops out.

In early May 1948 Governor Strom Thurmond announces he will run as an Independent.  He selects Georgia Senator Richard Russell Jr as his running mate.

1948 Election: Landon/Vandenburg vs. Truman/?? vs. Wheeler/?? vs. Thurmond/Russell.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #348 on: March 07, 2009, 01:09:55 AM »

Progressive Party Convention:June 2nd-June 4th

The Progressive Party nominates Burton K. Wheeler for President and he selects ID Senator Glen Taylor as his running mate.

Wheeler states "1948 can be our year.  We must and we will show both the Democrats and Republicans that we mean business.  The Republicans passed the anti union Taft Hartley bill while alot of Democrats supported it as well.  We can't have this kind of leadership in Washington.  Elect Wheeler/Taylor in November as it's your best choice this year."

Ticket: Wheeler/Taylor.

Republican Party Convention:June 21st-June 25th

The Republicans renominate President Alf Landon and Vice President Arthur Vandenburg.  Their platform "continue the post war era of greatness."

President Landon addresses the crowd "Republicans, we come here tonight to show unity as a party.  One of our many accomplishments has been the war ending under our watch.  We even lowered taxes and helped the Taft Hartley bill get passed, which was an even greater success.  I pledge to you all tonight that I will continue our progress forward.  Thank you Republicans."

Ticket: Landon/Vandenburg

Democratic Party Convention: July 12th-July 14th

When the Democrats meet at their Convention they nominate Harry Truman for President.  He selects former DNC chair James Farley as his running mate.

Truman states "Democrats lets come together and win this election in honor of the late President Roosevelt.  He would have wanted us to win this one for him.  I can only say that I'm ready for the fight but are you?  Being a Democrat means being a candidate for the common man.  Well God Bless and lets show the Republicans their in for a fight."

Ticket: Truman/Farley.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #349 on: March 07, 2009, 01:25:57 AM »

Senator Harry Truman campaigning:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8hG2c4bf4g&feature=related

Meanwhile, in late August the Republic of Korea is formed.  Their government: Communism.

President Landon states "We can't have anymore Communist nations in this world.  The Communist movement is ruining the country and it has for a very long time."
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 ... 39  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies