Bryan defeats McKinley, 1896!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 26, 2024, 11:55:35 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  Bryan defeats McKinley, 1896!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 ... 39
Author Topic: Bryan defeats McKinley, 1896!  (Read 163709 times)
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #450 on: April 11, 2009, 01:38:13 PM »
« edited: April 11, 2009, 01:45:46 PM by TommyC1776 »

August 1960:

Poll for President:
Stassen 44%
Stevenson 40%
Taylor 14%
Undecided 2%

Governor Stassen likes his numbers.  "This election seems its close but we will win in the end.  Supporters, we're going to show the President that he can't win a 3rd term.  This is the worst administration I've seen since the FDR administration.  Government spending, raising taxes, etc thats not what America's about is it?  Under a Stassen administration we will have lower taxes and less spending.  Thank you."

President Stevenson campaigning:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_ZFi3Q25-w&feature=PlayList&p=E218333242BC362A&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=3

Get ready for more campaigning.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #451 on: April 13, 2009, 07:53:36 PM »

1960 Presidential Debate:

Brinkley: Hello Americans.  Tonight we're here for the Presidential debate of 1960.  We have with us President Stevenson, Governor Stassen and Senator Taylor.  Whats one thing you would do in office?

Stevenson: Well first I want to thank Mr. Brinkley for moderating the debate.  I also want to thank Governor Stassen and Senator Taylor for showing up.  Now, I'd say the Healthcare bill is something big I asked for and got. That's something that will come to be one of the greatest things in my Presidency.

Stassen: First I want to thank President Stevenson and Senator Taylor for joining me up here tonight.  When I'm in office I'd cut spending and lower taxes.  President Stevenson spends too much money.  Why do you all keep voting for a man who spends your money?  I'd never vote for someone to take my money that I earned away from me.

Stevenson: Governor, I don't steal peoples money.  The fact is there needs to be taxes one way or another.  Also, spending is what helped us out of the Depression in the 1930's.  Former President Roosevelt knew that was the right thing to do and he was right.

Taylor: Alright.  Thanks President Stevenson and Governor Stassen for attending tonight.  One thing I'd do if I was elected is I'd make sure all the poorest of people got some form of a tax break.  The little people is what brought the Progressive Party to life.  If it wasn't for us, they'd have no one to represent them in life.

Brinkley: Alright.  Second question, what is your plan to deal with the Soviet Union?  Senator Taylor.

Taylor: As far as the Soviets I'd have peace talks with them.  Starting a war would make so much chaos in the world it wouldn't be funny.  Thats the only option on my table.  The other candidates want to get innocent civilians killed just because of someones political beliefs.

Stevenson: The Soviet Union is a mess.  They supposedly have nuclear arms which could harm us.  That's why acting now is better than acting later.

Stassen: One thing I'd do is restructure the Soviet Union so its not Communist.  Communism is spreading and spreading fast.  We can't let this happen.

Brinkley: Last question, what is your plan to deal with Civil Rights?  Go ahead Governor Stassen.

Stassen: I'd make sure all Americans are treated equal no matter who they are.  America is that big melting pot as they say.

Stevenson: I'd continue what I was doing as far as Civil Rights.  We need to make sure blacks are continually treated as equal as whites.

Taylor: As far as Civil Rights, we all agree here that everyone's equal.  However, I haven't seen much done by the Democrats or Republicans.  The Progressives are the only party that will be able to deal with this issue.  Thanks.

Brinkley: Alright folks.  Remember vote on November 8th.  From NBC, this is David Brinkely.  Goodnight.  Thanks.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #452 on: April 13, 2009, 08:26:16 PM »
« Edited: April 13, 2009, 08:34:50 PM by TommyC1776 »

1960 Presidential Election:

Stassen 46% Stevenson 41% Taylor 13%

EV: Stassen 275, Stevenson 230, Taylor 32.

Governor Stassen states "We did it.  A Republican in the White House finally after 8 years.  Let's start some progress over the next 4 and hopefully be in office for at least 8.  Thank you.  Thank you."

President Stevenson states "Americans. I tried my best to win but it didn't work out that way.  I thought I had you but I didn't.  Let's hope that Stassen doesn't ruin anything we've started.  Alright, let's go forward and help the Democrats this session of Congress."

Congressional results:

House: 218 Dems, 205 Reps, 14 Progs.
Senate:  47 Reps, 47 Dems, 6 Progs.

The Democrats have control of the House.  In the Senate the Democrats have control until January 20, 1961 when President-elect Stassen takes office.  (thats when the Republicans will gain power because of VP elect Richard Nixon.)
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #453 on: April 13, 2009, 09:08:01 PM »

Leadership in the 87th Congress:

Speaker of the House: John McCormack
Senate Dem Leader: Lyndon Johnson
Senate Rep Leader: William Knowland

The Democrats plan to filibuster as much as they can in the Senate.  President-elect Stassen plans to work well with Democrats in the House.

Speaker McCormack states "Us Democrats are going to do all we can to make sure the President-elect doesnt screw things up."

January 3rd, 1961 the 87th Congress begins.

Then 17 days later, Harold Stassen is inaugurated as President.

Stassen states "My fellow Americans, today is the greatest day of my life.  I never imagined in a million years I'd be President.  We are going to be on the right course as we move forward.  We shall begin by trying to lower taxes and shrinking the size of the government.  That's exactly why I was elected. In conclusion, we can and we will get things done.  Thank you and God Bless."
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #454 on: April 16, 2009, 03:56:12 PM »

Republicans in the House want to review the Healthcare bill and its spending.  Republican House leader William Scranton states "We need to review this legislation.  However, I don't feel we have the votes to vote in favor of free market healthcare."

Speaker McCormack states "Mr. Scranton doesn't have the votes for this."  He allows it to be brought up on debate in the House, though.

The bill is called Free Market Healthcare Reform Bill of 1961.  The House votes 230 against the bill and therefore it fails in the House.  Speaker McCormack states "I told everyone the Republicans didnt have enough votes for this."

President Stassen states "The Republican Party will go down if we do anymore with the healthcare system, at this time."
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #455 on: April 16, 2009, 06:14:55 PM »

On March 1st Uganda holds general elections therefore becomes a self governing nation.

Theres a new amendment stating DC should have voting rights.  The House had voted 260-175 in favor of DC voting rights while the Senate had voted 62-38 in favor.  (over the past few months)  It's being sent to the states for ratification.

At the end of March the Algerian War ends.

pictures of the war in Algeria:

TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #456 on: April 16, 2009, 06:25:15 PM »
« Edited: April 16, 2009, 10:34:50 PM by TommyC1776 »

In mid April 1961 the Bay of Pigs Invasion takes place in order to try and remove Castro.

President Stassen states "We must get rid of Castro.  Cuba is a threat to the United States and we must stop them from attacking us."

The invasion only lasts 3 days.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #457 on: April 16, 2009, 10:43:22 PM »
« Edited: April 16, 2009, 10:56:58 PM by TommyC1776 »

In early June the DC voting Amendment get passed because a majority of states approve it.  Therefore DC citizens will be able to vote for President in 1964 and onward.

Then the House starts debating the Federal Wire Act of 1961.  This would make it illegal to do bets through wire devices.

The House votes 240-197.  Then the Senate votes 57-43.  President Stassen signs it into law on July 10th, 1961.

The House decides to bring up another Act at this time called the Peace Corps Act of 1961.  It barely passes in the House, 225-212.  Senate Republican Leader William Knowland brings it up but the Senate votes on it 50-50.  Then Vice President Nixon is to cast a vote.  He casts a vote in the negative.  Therefore it fails in the Senate by one vote.

Speaker of the House John McCormack states "This just shows you why the Democrats need to be in charge again.  Vice President Nixon isn't on the right side by voting nay.  Please everyone try to make sure the Democrats get the Senate back next year.  Thank you."

Speaker McCormack meets with House Republican Leader William Scranton to discuss a way to pass this bill.  They hold meetings for 2 weeks and finally decide on a way to compromise.

In early September, the House brings up the revised version of Peace Corps Act of 1961 again.  It passes in the House 235-202.  They were only able to get 10 more "yes" votes on it.

Then Senate Leader William Knowland schedules another vote in mid October.  Democratic Leader Lyndon Johnson states "I believe we have this compromised legislation in the bag and can pass it.  Let's see what happens."

The Senate vote is 52-48 in favor of the bill.  However President Stassen has some doubts about the bill but in the end decides to sign it. (because it would be in his best interest).
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #458 on: April 17, 2009, 03:35:19 PM »

State of the Union, 1962:

President Stassen states "Mr. Speaker, Vice President Nixon, distinguished guests and my fellow Americans welcome here tonight.  Over the past year we've made some progress throughout this country.  We passed the Peace Corps legislation, which will help everyone all across the Globe.  One thing that I plan to get accomplished by the end of the decade is send a man to the moon.  Studying the moon will help us understand certain things pertaining to the Universe.  Another issue I'd like to bring up is Cuba.  The U.S. needs to somehow make sure Castro loses his power.  Whether thats through peace talks or militarily, he needs to go.  Alright, thanks and God Bless America."

President Stassen's approval rating is 55%.

President Stassen announces in early February that the embargo against Cuba is in full task.  "No trading with Cuba."  stated the President.

Then later that month John Glenn became the first American to be launched into space.

John Glenn
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #459 on: April 17, 2009, 11:50:49 PM »

In mid March the Algerian War officially ends with the Evian Agreements.

A few weeks later the Baker v. Carr is decided and the courts decide that state legislatures can reapportion seats.

In June President Stassen gives a commencement speech at West Point.

Then about a month later Algeria becomes its own nation.

Algeria

Meanwhile, back at home President Stassen is starting to campaign hard for Republicans in this falls midterm elections.  "Maybe we can get more done if the Republicans control both Houses of Congress."  says the President.

One issue during the campaign is healthcare and how the newer system is costing Americans money.  They say "We we're better off under a free market healthcare system."  The Democrats are saying "Americans the Republicans are trying to take your health and well being away from you."

Polls show the Democrats may keep the House but the Republicans could gain a seat or two in the Senate.  We shall see later on if these results are true.  They may not be.  Just wait.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #460 on: April 18, 2009, 12:12:02 AM »

Then late fall the U.S. learns that the Soviets is sending missiles to Cuba.

President Stassen states "We must act now.  We can't act later."

Newspapers now read U.S. WILL ATTACK CUBA.

Pictures of missiles:

The crisis ends a week later when the Soviets decide to take away the weapons.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #461 on: April 18, 2009, 12:31:22 AM »
« Edited: April 18, 2009, 12:33:54 AM by TommyC1776 »

Midterm Elections, 1962:
House: 223 Dems, ,197 Reps, 15 Progs.
Senate: 47 Dems, 46 Reps, 7 Progs.

The Democrats still have control in the House and Senate.

Speaker of the House John McCormack states "The American people spoke on Election Day and they didn't want any changes.  The Republicans still will have road blocks as far as passing legislation.  I believe the healthcare issue brought the Republicans down this year."

House Leaders:
Speaker of the House: John McCormack.
Rep leader: William Scranton.
Prog leader: Noam Chomsky.

Senate Leaders:
Dem leader: Lyndon Johnson.
Rep leader: William Knowland.
Prog leader: George McGovern.

President Stassen feels he won't get much done during the 88th Congress.  "I believe the midterm elections were a wake up call to my party.  It showed how disconnected we are with the regular voter.  We must bring the average person back into our camp otherwise we may lose again in 64."

One thing the Democrats plan to do is increase funding for the healthcare as well as for the Peace Corps.

Also at this time the Progressive Party is starting to fall apart and most of them are turning Democratic.  However Senate Prog leader states "This isn't the case.  We're just trying to remodel our party."
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #462 on: April 18, 2009, 12:38:30 AM »
« Edited: April 18, 2009, 12:42:00 AM by TommyC1776 »

BREAKING NEWS: 3 Progressives in the Senate and 7 Progressives in the House become Democrats.
New 88th Congress makeup:
House: 227 Dems, 200 Reps, 8 Progs.
Senate: 50 Dems, 46 Reps, 4 Progs.

Senator McGovern (P-SD) states "I am very shocked to see this.  However, I'm not surprised as some Progressives have given up hope of ever gaining power."

The Democrats like them coming over (for the most part) because this gives the Dems more votes in each House.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #463 on: April 20, 2009, 11:26:59 PM »

January 1963:

BREAKING NEWS (Again): 2 Progressives in the Senate and 6 in the House switch to become Democrats.
Senate Majority Leader Lyndon Johnson states "This is really good for the Democrats.  We're gaining more and more seats.  This is going to be good to get legislation passed."

Senator Johnson

Newer Congressional totals:
Senate: 52 Dems, 46 Reps, 2 Progs.
House: 233 Dems, 200 Reps, 2 Progs.

In February Speaker McCormack brings up the Equal Pay Act of 1963 and the House votes 240-195.  Senator Lyndon Johnson schedules a vote for later in the month.  The Senate vote is 57-43.

President Stassen signs it into law on March 10th, 1963.

By May President Stassen's poll numbers are 54%. (havent changed much).  Republican Senator Barry Goldwater states "Governor Stassen is too liberal for our party.  We need a conservative leader for America.  Therefore I've decided to run against him for the Republican nomination in 1964."

Stassen, not really concerned states "We must unite the Republican Party before the primaries next year."  (He considers meeting with Goldwater to discuss a possible Stassen-Goldwater ticket in 64.)

Possible Democrats:
fmr President Adlai Stevenson
Senator Lyndon Johnson
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #464 on: April 24, 2009, 12:02:08 PM »

Poll numbers for Republicans:
Stassen 75%
Goldwater 20%
Undecided 5%.

Barry Goldwater states "Next year at this time I'll be the Republican nominee for President.  We can't let the liberals hijack our party anymore."

Vice President Nixon goes across the country stating "Senator Goldwater is really trying to destroy this administration.  He can't and he wont.  We must show the Goldwater supporters that President Stassen is the right man for 1964."

Meanwhile in early fall, Senator George McGovern (P-SD) states "After all things considered I've decided to join the Democratic Party."

By December 1963 the Progressive Party is all but disolved into the Democratic Party.

New Congressional makeup:
House: 235 Dems, 200 Reps.
Senate: 53 Dems, 46 Reps, 1 Ind.

Democratic candidates for 1964:
fmr. Pres. Adlai Stevenson
Sen. Lyndon Johnson
Sen. Hubert Humphrey
Gov. George Wallace

Republican candidates for 1964:
Pres. Harold Stassen
Sen. Barry Goldwater
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #465 on: April 24, 2009, 12:38:07 PM »
« Edited: April 24, 2009, 02:24:56 PM by TommyC1776 »

New Hampshire: March 10th

Democratic: 14 delegates
Stevenson 51%-7 delegates
Johnson 40%-6 delegates
Humphrey 8%-1 delegate
Wallace 1%

Republican: 14 delegates
Stassen 76%-11 delegates
Goldwater 24%-3 delegates

Over the next few weeks Governor George Wallace tells his supporters "The Democratic Party needs to get back to it's roots.  I'm a firm believer in segregation and that's what this party should stand for.  We can't win or do well in the South without this issue."

This statement may have cost Wallace some votes.  Senator Johnson states "Governor Wallace is a crazy man.  That's why I'm a better candidate than him."

On the Republican side President Stassen is campaigning like Goldwater isn't in the race.  Privately the President states "As long as I ignore Goldwater people won't pay much attention to him."
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #466 on: April 24, 2009, 01:00:31 PM »

Former President Landon campaigns hard for President Stassen.  "Now, the President's a man who has worked well with both sides of the aisle.  He's not as extreme as certain people are."

Wisconsin: April 7th

Democratic: 31 delegates
Humphrey 45%-14 delegates
Stevenson 40%-12 delegates
Johnson 13%-5 delegates
Wallace 2%

Governor George Wallace decides to drop out.

Republican: 30 delegates
Stassen 85%-26 delegates
Goldwater 15%-4 delegates

Illinois: April 14th

Democratic: 67 delegates
Stevenson 55%-37 delegates
Humphrey 34%-23 delegates
Johnson 11%-7 delegates

Republican: 58 delegates
Stassen 79%-46 delegates
Goldwater 21%-12 delegates

Total delegates so far:

Democratic:
Stevenson-56 delegates
Humphrey-38 delegates
Johnson-18 delegates

Republican:
Stassen-83 delegates
Goldwater-19 delegates
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #467 on: April 24, 2009, 01:13:21 PM »

New Jersey: April 21st

Democratic: 41 delegates
Stevenson 50%-21 delegates
Humphrey 31%-13 delegates
Johnson 19%-7 delegates

Republican:40 delegates
Stassen 83%-33 delegates
Goldwater 17%-7 delegates

Senator Goldwater states "Come on Republicans!  Come stand with me and my conservative principles.  Just remember that S stands not only for Stassen but also for spending."

Goldwater puts an ad out on TV: "This administration is the worst for spending in a long time.  Just remember when you vote in your primary that Stassen=spending."
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #468 on: April 24, 2009, 02:08:52 PM »
« Edited: April 24, 2009, 02:37:20 PM by TommyC1776 »

Massachusetts: April 28th

Democratic: 41 delegates
Stevenson 48%-20 delegates
Humphrey 35%-14 delegates
Johnson 17%-7 delegates

Republican: 34 delegates
Stassen 86%-29 delegates
Goldwater 14%-5 delegates

Pennsylvania: April 28th

Democratic: 81 delegates
Stevenson 42%-34 delegates
Johnson 34%-28 delegates
Humphrey 24%-19 delegates

Republican: 64 delegates
Stassen 90%-58 delegates
Goldwater 10%-6 delegates

Total delegates so far:

Democratic:
Stevenson-131 delegates
Humphrey-90 delegates
Johnson-60 delegates

Republican:
Stassen-203 delegates
Goldwater-37 delegates

Senator Goldwater is considering dropping out.  "I don't know how far I can go with only winning a slim amount of delegates in each primary."  stated Goldwater.

During this time the House brings up the Civil Rights Act of 1964 which would prohibit voter discrimination.  The House votes 267-168 on April 30th.  The Senate schedules a vote in May.  Stassen states "When this comes to my desk I will sign it."
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #469 on: April 26, 2009, 11:37:34 PM »

Texas: May 2nd

Democratic: 61 delegates
Johnson 58%-35 delegates
Stevenson 30%-18 delegates
Humphrey 12%-8 delegates

Republican: 56 delegates
Stassen 69%-39 delegate
Goldwater 31%-17 delegates

Senator Goldwater states "I did it.  I made it over 30% in a primary.  I'm planning on staying in for a little while longer."

Advisors to Stassen's campaign state he may want to consider Goldwater as a running mate.  Vice President Nixon states "I would willingly step aside for Barry Goldwater."

On May 3rd the Senate vote 63-37 on the Civil Rights Act of 1964.  President Stassen signs it into law on May 4th.

D.C.: May 5th

Democratic: 9 delegates
Stevenson 70%-6 delegates
Humphrey 21%-2 delegates
Johnson 9%-1 delegate

Republican: 9 delegates
Stassen 87%-8 delegates
Goldwater 13%-1 delegate

Indiana: May 5th

Democratic: 34 delegates
Stevenson 51%-17 delegates
Humphrey 39%-13 delegates
Johnson 10%-4 delegates

Republican: 32 delegates
Stassen 83%-27 delegates
Goldwater 17%-5 delegates

Ohio: May 5th

Democratic: 64 delegates
Stevenson 49%-31 delegates
Humphrey 38%-24 delegates
Johnson 13%-9 delegates

Republican:58 delegates
Stassen 80%-46 delegates
Goldwater 20%-12 delegates

Total delegates so far:

Democratic:
Stevenson-203 delegates
Humphrey-137 delegates
Johnson-109 delegates

Republican:
Stassen-323 delegates
Goldwater-72 delegates

On the GOP side Senator Goldwater decides to drop out as he sees no way, at this point, of winning.  "I must step aside now and give the Republican nomination in 1964 to President Stassen.  We must unite the party at this point so we can win.  Thanks."

At this point, Vice President Nixon states "I will not be a candidate for Vice President in 1964."  (this of course leads to speculation that the President has decided to go with Goldwater.)
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #470 on: April 27, 2009, 08:08:35 PM »

Presidential poll, 1964:
Stassen 49%
Stevenson 47%
Undecided 4%

Presidential poll, 1964:
Stassen 51%
Humphrey 44%
Undecided 5%

Presidential poll, 1964:
Stassen 52%
Johnson 45%
Undecided 3%.

President Stassen is very happy with these numbers however he feels that former President Stevenson could give him a run for his money.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #471 on: April 28, 2009, 06:10:04 PM »

On May 10th President Stassen announces that Senator Barry Goldwater will be his running mate in the 1964 election.  "Americans today I am announcing my new running mate.  This man is very courageous for standing up for what he believes in.  Ladies and gentlemen welcome Senator Barry Goldwater." stated the President.

Goldwater stated "Thank you Mr. President for that great opening. Now, are we going to beat the Democrats this fall?  Yes we are.  Are we going to bring conservative values to Washington?  Yes we are.  The Democrats are too spend crazy.  Republicans understand that you need to keep your money.  Let's move forward and crush the Democrats."

Also, the war in Vietnam is going on at this point.

Vietnam War

On the Democratic side Senator Lyndon Johnson decides to drop out and endorse former President Adlai Stevenson.  "I feel the former President is the best candidate to run against President Stassen." stated Johnson.

Total Democratic delegates so far:
Stevenson-312 delegates
Humphrey-137 delegates
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #472 on: April 28, 2009, 08:29:57 PM »

Nebraska: May 12th

Democratic: 16 delegates
Stevenson 61%-10 delegates
Humphrey 39%-6 delegates

West Virginia: May 12th

Democratic: 25 delegates
Stevenson 54%-14 delegates
Humphrey 46%-11 delegates

Oregon: May 15th

Democratic: 17 delegates
Humphrey 51%-9 delegates
Stevenson 49%-8 delegates

Stevenson states "It's hard to see how Humphrey could beat me from here on out."  Humphrey, though, tells supporters "We won.  This shows that some Democrats still aren't that certain about Stevenson."

Maryland: May 19th

Democratic: 24 delegates
Stevenson 58%-14 delegates
Humphrey 42%-10 delegates

Total Dem delegates:
Stevenson-358 delegates
Humphrey-173 delegates

On May 20th Senator Hubert Humphrey decides to drop out.  He states "Americans, it's been fun and interesting running for President but I must withdraw my candidacy.  I can't see any way for me to win the nomination at this point.  Supporters let's move forward and support former President Stevenson for President in 1964.  He's the best candidate we have.  Thank you."

Stevenson calls Humphrey and issues his thanks.

Candidates in 1964: Stassen/Goldwater vs. Stevenson/??
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #473 on: April 30, 2009, 08:18:08 PM »

Republican Party Convention:

When the Republicans meet in 1964 they renominate President Stassen.  Republicans nominate Senator Goldwater on the first ballot to be Vice President.

Stassen states "Republicans, lets move forward and win.  I know we can and will win this year.  The Democrats just keep wanting to spend more and more which we can't do.  If the Democrats win this fall then it will be a disaster. One thing I'm confident of is that the Republicans will win both Houses therefore insuring Republican legislation.  Senator Goldwater and I will be able to get things done that we haven't had the chance to do.  Thank you."

Ticket: Stassen/Goldwater

Democratic Party Convention:

The Democrats nominate former President Stevenson as their nominee.  He selects Senator George Smathers of Florida as his runningmate.

Stevenson tells the delegates "Democrats we must win this fall.  The Republicans are going to tax you, as well as end healthcare.  We can't let this happen.  Under another 4 years of a Stevenson administration this won't happen.  Thank you and remember vote Stevenson/Smathers."

Ticket: Stevenson/Smathers

Note: Stevenson wasnt too fond of Smathers but decided he'd be a better choice regionally.

Poll after Conventions:
Stassen/Goldwater 52%
Stevenson/Smathers 40%
Undecided 8%

President Stassen's team put out a TV ad that stated "Former President Stevenson claims to be for Civil Rights but his running mate, Senator Smathers is against blacks.  If that's so then is Stevenson/Smathers the right candidates for you?  Paid for by Re-elect Stassen in '64."

Stevenson decides to put an out there too.  The ad states "Healthcare, Healthcare, Healthcare.  What about it?  Well if Republicans win more seats and keep the Presidency then you will lose healthcare.  Paid for by Citizens for Stevenson '64."

Up next the debate.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #474 on: May 03, 2009, 10:13:00 PM »

Presidential Debate, 1964:

Moderator: Walter Cronkite.

Cronkite: Welcome Americans to the Presidential debate of 1964.  Tonight we have with us President Stassen and former President Stevenson.  First question, what's your plan to deal with Civil Rights?  President Stassen go ahead.

Stassen: Well first I want to thank the former President for coming tonight as well as you, Walter, for moderating.  As far as Civil Rights, I believe that the black man has the same right as the white man.  We've lived too long with hatred towards other minorities and it must be stopped.

Stevenson: I too want to thank the President for coming as well as Walter for moderating.  Well, now as far as Civil Rights I feel that this is somewhere where the President and I agree on.  Equal Rights for blacks is the best thing for America.  After all isn't America supposed to be the land of opportunity?

Cronkite: Alright....

Stassen: Wait I need to say something Walter.   Mr. President how can Americans believe you when your running mate Senator Smathers endorses segregation?

Stevenson: I disagree with Senator Smathers but it's alright to disagree with someone but I NEVER endorse his policy toward race.

Cronkite: Next question, should the healthcare we have now stay intact or do we need a private system like we had before 1955?  President Stevenson?

Stevenson: The President and I disagree on this issue.  I feel that the healthcare system we put into law is the best one we could ask for.  Now anyone can go to the doctor without being denied.

Stassen: That's not true I've met people who feel we must go back to the old free market system.  That's the best option for America.

Cronkite: Alright last question.  The Vietnam War is going on over in Asia.  Should we get involved or not?  President Stassen.

Stassen: I am meeting with my advisors as to what we need to do.  One things for certain, we do need to end Communism one way or another.

Stevenson: As far as the war, I feel we need to just stay away.  After all where did the Korean War get us?  Think about it.

Cronkite: Americans, this debate is over now.  Remember on November 3rd to vote for whatever candidate you would like.  Thank you and Goodnight.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 ... 39  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies