Should OSR be muted from the "User complaints megathread"?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 01:43:23 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Should OSR be muted from the "User complaints megathread"?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Poll
Question: Should OSR be muted from the "User complaints megathread"?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 66

Author Topic: Should OSR be muted from the "User complaints megathread"?  (Read 1489 times)
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: May 08, 2024, 07:16:55 PM »

I don't philosophy agree with him on tax cuts and never read all his comments but I just knows he complains alot
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #51 on: May 08, 2024, 07:22:28 PM »

[Vosem and jaichind never engaged in personal attacks on other users yet were explicitly banned for their views. We know it’s a left-wing blog but it’s interesting to see what behavior is tolerated and what isn’t.

I will never understand why so many of you think that personal attacks are worse than being bigoted.

Like you're really going to tell me that you'd rather this forum have a polite neo-Nazi than a rude person with mainstream views?
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #52 on: May 08, 2024, 08:50:48 PM »

[Vosem and jaichind never engaged in personal attacks on other users yet were explicitly banned for their views. We know it’s a left-wing blog but it’s interesting to see what behavior is tolerated and what isn’t.

I will never understand why so many of you think that personal attacks are worse than being bigoted.

Like you're really going to tell me that you'd rather this forum have a polite neo-Nazi than a rude person with mainstream views?

Because views encourage debate and discussion on a forum.
Meanwhile personal attacks interfere and derail debate and discussion.
Never Made it to Graceland
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P

« Reply #53 on: May 08, 2024, 09:12:15 PM »

No, open racism, etc. doesn't "encourage debate and discussion." It turn places into sewers.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #54 on: May 08, 2024, 09:14:30 PM »

No, open racism, etc. doesn't "encourage debate and discussion." It turn places into sewers.

Speaking about our enemies the same we always do isn’t racism . Just like saying “The Russians are the bad guys”.

Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #55 on: May 08, 2024, 09:16:59 PM »

Speaking about our enemies the same we always do isn’t racism . Just like saying “The Russians are the bad guys”.

I cannot believe you still think this is an argument worth pursuing.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #56 on: May 08, 2024, 09:20:04 PM »

This is how actual people talk , the mods just didn’t like the posters in question and used it as an excuse to call it racist .

Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #57 on: May 08, 2024, 09:21:05 PM »

This is how actual people talk , the mods just didn’t like the posters in question and used it as an excuse to call it racist .

Kamala's side hoe
khuzifenq
YaBB God
United States

P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #58 on: May 08, 2024, 09:42:06 PM »

OSR is more historically informed and knowledgeable on many facets on especially mid 20th century US politics especially than most people are.
He doesn't need some liberal arts degree on that front and he also doesn't have to bow to credentialism either.
Let's not fetishize college degrees.

OSR isn't being treated unfairly because he does not possess a liberal arts degree. Plenty of posters, including those on the right, don't have college degrees at all, yet they are known for writing eloquently and coherently.

Not to be mean, since OSR isn't a dumb guy, but he could really use some formal liberal arts education. The lack of punctuation, the disorganized paragraphs, the tired repetition of certain ideas all weaken his arguments and posts. Sentences in his posts don't flow logically from one to the other, it's often like a handful different conservative ideas ordered randomly. That's why arguing with him is fruitless, because he's not logically absorbing and incorporating the opposing argument, much less his own.

Well said! I voted Yes, although OSR really should not be muted anywhere else on the forum. He certainly shouldn't be tempbanned.

(Off the top of my head, I can't think of any eloquent and long-winded posters with more than 1000 posts who didn't pursue or haven't pursued some sort of post-secondary degree at some point. To my knowledge NOVA Green has at least a bachelor's degree; I suspect Fuzzy Bear does as well.)
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #59 on: May 08, 2024, 11:01:01 PM »

The whole concept of user complaints just invited this type of tiresome whining and crying. Maybe the whole thing should be removed.
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #60 on: May 08, 2024, 11:10:59 PM »

This forum has always been a sewer.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #61 on: May 08, 2024, 11:26:55 PM »

Don't really spend too much time on the many of the boards these dayz since PRIM season is effectively over and quite frankly don't want to get too engaged in the Russia-Ukraine and Israel-Hamas threads at this point.

Still a bit confused about what this original Forum Community thread is even about?

Sure, he got a ton of flak when first joining the Forum and for a couple years after because of syntax, and a certain posting style, which quite frankly might have been associated with using English as a second language, which quite frankly I suspect led to a bit of "herd mentality" when it came to some of his earlier posts, and created a bit of subconscious bias when it came to evolution of OSR 2.0

Still, as a fellow Oregonian I have always had cordial relations with OSR, despite what are frequent disagreements when it comes to various political themes.

Honestly, consider OSR to be a solid poster, and just like any other new poster on this Forum (Myself included when I first joined back in '08) has evolved consistently.

b]NOVA GREEN[/b] stands with OSR unless people want to [/size]provide me with evidence via PM's as to why he should muted.

President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #62 on: May 08, 2024, 11:40:49 PM »

This poll is as tied as the last Opinion of poll that OSR has gotten. 25-25 tie.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #63 on: May 08, 2024, 11:53:12 PM »

This poll is as tied as the last Opinion of poll that OSR has gotten. 25-25 tie.

Sorry forgot to vote... maybe it flipped after I voted.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #64 on: May 08, 2024, 11:54:29 PM »

It's still pretty close either way. Just kind of a funny pattern to see replicating itself.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #65 on: May 09, 2024, 12:27:30 AM »

Have you tried turning it off and on again?
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #66 on: May 09, 2024, 12:30:00 AM »

It's still pretty close either way. Just kind of a funny pattern to see replicating itself.

2000 is Old School now so makes sense
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #67 on: May 09, 2024, 12:40:21 AM »

2000 is Old School now so makes sense
Lol
true.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #68 on: May 09, 2024, 04:07:25 AM »

I have never had a problem with forum moderation.

If you have ever done it, it can be ten times worse than anything experienced on the user side.

It was just a thankless task that can cross the line of normality.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #69 on: May 09, 2024, 06:47:02 AM »

No
No more than people pushing their groupthink should be banned from it either.
If large numbers of people will talk about select people and cast them in a certain light then said view is open to being challenged.
This is a silly idea and it only has any credibility if you buy into conventional red avatar thinking and refuse to accept it being seriously challenged.

This, 100%.

Muting OSR while allowing posters who have no problem with October 7 continuing to post would be incomprehensible to normal people.

The only posters who are okay with 10/07 got banned already
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #70 on: May 09, 2024, 10:49:21 AM »

Whether or not the races are equal or if all ethnicities are capable of exercising democracy shouldn’t be up for debate.

They need to be excommunicated from polite society, not treated as mere participants in the art of debate.

Save debate for gun control and tax reform, not phrenology.

There are cesspools like 4chan and Stormfront that tolerate this toxicity. Atlas doesn’t need to be, nor should it.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #71 on: May 09, 2024, 11:39:31 AM »

Whether or not the races are equal or if all ethnicities are capable of exercising democracy shouldn’t be up for debate.

They need to be excommunicated from polite society, not treated as mere participants in the art of debate.

Save debate for gun control and tax reform, not phrenology.

There are cesspools like 4chan and Stormfront that tolerate this toxicity. Atlas doesn’t need to be, nor should it.

This is so laughable and it almost sounds like you are a naive neocon in a way . Most agrees now it was a mistake to try to create a democracy in Afghanistan and that not banning Hamas from the 06 elections in the name of “democracy” was a mistake .

Believing either is not racist and it’s completely absurd to think so
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #72 on: May 09, 2024, 12:07:52 PM »

If you want to go with that, 80% of the people who try and scam my company are Indian men, so Indians are scammers and bad people.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #73 on: May 09, 2024, 12:08:58 PM »

If you want to go with that, 80% of the people who try and scam my company are Indian men, so Indians are scammers and bad people.

The whataboutism leftists do to defend Islamists is ridiculous. Muh BJP , Muh Likud , Muh Christian Right
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #74 on: May 09, 2024, 12:11:53 PM »

The whataboutism leftists do to defend Islamists is ridiculous. Muh BJP , Muh Likud , Muh Christian Right

No, you’re REALLY having a hard time understanding that “x is bad” is not how the world works. Individuals can be terrible people but the group can never be uniform. Coincidentally you’re at the same time conforming to the exact stereotype of linear thinking and inability to think and inability to process the whole that all the Indian tech people at my work have as well. But again, that’s not everyone.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies