UK Election 2010
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 02:28:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  UK Election 2010
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 39 40 41 [42] 43 44 45 46 47 ... 71
Author Topic: UK Election 2010  (Read 254137 times)
Harry Hayfield
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 0.35

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1025 on: March 24, 2010, 07:08:35 PM »

I still won't believe that Labour can win until we see that exit poll on election day. I simply can't see how the Tories could steal defeat from the jaws of victory in such a massive way. I'm such a pessimist. Brown should've been the palace in about a week and a half, right?

This is why I adjust every poll I see by the average change during a campaign (since 1950) and then readjust it by the change between the end of the campaign polls, the exit poll and the final result. So far I have Con 38% Lab 28% Lib Dem 17%

By my reckoning there are four dates when Gordon could call the election:

March 25th 2010 (unlikely as Sky would have reported that it's sources would have picked up on the moves in Downing Street)
March 29th 2010 (possible dependent on what reaction the Budget gets on the Sunday morning shows)
April 1st 2010 (very unlikely due to the connections with April Fool's Day but also the Queen would be distributing the Maundy Money and would not like the disruption)
April 6th 2010 (by far the most likely, after Easter and allows him to have a barnstorming PMQ's the following day and to retort to Cameron "I have listened to the honourable gentleman's advice and called the election!")
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1026 on: March 24, 2010, 07:17:23 PM »

I still won't believe that Labour can win until we see that exit poll on election day. I simply can't see how the Tories could steal defeat from the jaws of victory in such a massive way. I'm such a pessimist. Brown should've been the palace in about a week and a half, right?

This is why I adjust every poll I see by the average change during a campaign (since 1950) and then readjust it by the change between the end of the campaign polls, the exit poll and the final result. So far I have Con 38% Lab 28% Lib Dem 17%

March 25th 2010 (unlikely as Sky would have reported that it's sources would have picked up on the moves in Downing Street)
March 29th 2010 (possible dependent on what reaction the Budget gets on the Sunday morning shows)
April 1st 2010 (very unlikely due to the connections with April Fool's Day but also the Queen would be distributing the Maundy Money and would not like the disruption)
April 6th 2010 (by far the most likely, after Easter and allows him to have a barnstorming PMQ's the following day and to retort to Cameron "I have listened to the honourable gentleman's advice and called the election!")

Why not any of the dates in between those dates?
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1027 on: March 25, 2010, 07:40:14 AM »

Well, i think we can more or less rule that out now. Wink
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1028 on: March 25, 2010, 12:59:51 PM »

Does anyone have a link to a list of which seats are counting on the next day?
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #1029 on: March 25, 2010, 01:40:19 PM »

Probably all of them, except Houghton and Sunderland South and a handful of others.
Harry Hayfield
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 0.35

P P
« Reply #1030 on: March 25, 2010, 02:36:25 PM »

Argyll and Bute
Ashfield
Barrow and Furness
Berwick-upon-Tweed
Blyth Valley
Broadland
Buckingham
Central Devon
Central Suffolk and North Ipswich
Cheltenham
Chorley
Cleethorpes
Copeland
Daventry
Derby North
Derby South
Epping Forest
Fylde
Great Grimsby
Great Yarmouth
Harborough
Harrogate and Knaresborough
Henley
Hexham
Huntingdon
Kenilworth and Southam
Kettering
Lancaster and Fleetwood
Mid Bedfordshire
Mid Derbyshire
Mid Norfolk
Milton Keynes North
Milton Keynes South
Morecambe and Lunesdale
Newcastle upon Tyne Central
Newcastle upon Tyne East
Newcastle upon Tyne North
North East Hampshire
North West Leicestershire
North West Norfolk
Northampton North
Northampton South
Norwich North
Oxford West and Abingdon
Preston
Saffron Walden
Selby and Ainsty
Sevenoaks
Skipton and Ripon
South Cambridgeshire
South East Cambridgeshire
South Leicestershire
South Northamptonshire
South West Bedfordshire
South West Hertfordshire
South West Norfolk
St Ives
Tiverton and Honiton
Wansbeck
Wantage
Watford
Waveney
Wellingborough
Westmorland and Lonsdale
Workington
You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #1031 on: March 26, 2010, 02:24:24 PM »

The Tories appear to be taking quite a dive on the betting markets.
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1032 on: March 26, 2010, 02:26:19 PM »

It was mentioned on ITV News that Gordon Brown may delay his trip to the Palace by a day.
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #1033 on: March 26, 2010, 02:31:37 PM »

It was mentioned on ITV News that Gordon Brown may delay his trip to the Palace by a day.

...He really is quite the ditherer.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1034 on: March 28, 2010, 06:09:09 AM »

Why not any of the dates in between those dates?

Not sure about the 30th and the 31st, but 2 April is Good Friday and 5 April is Easter Monday, both Bank Holidays.
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1035 on: March 28, 2010, 10:25:12 AM »

Another story to try and reduce the boredom in the run-up to the calling of the election....

My grandad worked for the Inland Revenue, and one of his work colleages in the 1930's (when he was in London) was Jim Callaghan. About 40 years later, when Callaghan was Prime Minister, my grandad was in Ipswich, and he happened to see Callaghan, who was visiting the town. Callaghan remembered my grandad from all those years ago, and they shook hands and had a chat. My grandad was also interviewed by the local newspaper, and they published an article with the headline "Prime Minister meets former work colleage" or something like that.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #1036 on: March 28, 2010, 01:49:54 PM »

I can now imagine Brown will have to wait till after the Easter break and the rail strike to go to the country.
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #1037 on: March 28, 2010, 02:33:57 PM »

I can now imagine Brown will have to wait till after the Easter break and the rail strike to go to the country.

Either way, I, personally, still say he should've gone for an election on March 25th.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #1038 on: March 28, 2010, 04:37:14 PM »

Either way, I, personally, still say he should've gone for an election on March 25th.

It doesn't help with stunts like the 'pledge card' before an election has been called. It makes Brown look a bit silly.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #1039 on: March 28, 2010, 05:07:42 PM »

A little about declarations.

Sunderland Central would be expected to be first to declare but is currently undecided whether to start the count on Thursday night (Boo!)

The swings in all seats, even that wave of safe Labour seats that declare will be important to monitor. However some of the early key seats may not count until Friday.

The first seat of note to declare may be Angus (2005: 00.56) where the Conservatives are hoping to oust the SNP. Southport (2005: 00.58) is also a key target for the Conservatives needing a 4.7% swing to take it from the Lib Dems. Vale of Clwyd (2005: 00.58) looks like being the first proper Con v Lab fight. The Tories need a swing of 7.1%; close to the national swing needed to secure a majority. East Renfrewshire (2005: 01:01) could be up next where again the Tories are looking to chalk up their first gain in Scotland. Dudley North (2005: 01:10) with a 5.6 swing required could be the seat to watch to see if the Tories are on the course of a majority with Torbay (2005: 01:12) declaring at the same time.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1040 on: March 28, 2010, 05:14:40 PM »

Why would they wait until Friday to count? General laziness?
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #1041 on: March 28, 2010, 06:03:58 PM »

Why would they wait until Friday to count? General laziness?

It's probably cheaper.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1042 on: March 28, 2010, 06:32:57 PM »

Dudley North is a bit of an oddball though.
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1043 on: March 28, 2010, 06:43:00 PM »

The first seat of note to declare may be Angus (2005: 00.56) where the Conservatives are hoping to oust the SNP.

Nearly 3 hours after the polls close....
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1044 on: March 29, 2010, 09:24:42 AM »

This bit of news doesn't deserve its own thread so... from the BBC...

You must be logged in to read this quote.

LOL
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1045 on: March 29, 2010, 07:50:47 PM »

Have you guys watched the Chancellor's Debate?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/politics/8593509.stm (Small clip)
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #1046 on: March 29, 2010, 08:34:16 PM »

Yeah. Vince Cable made a brilliant showing. Darling was alright. Osbourne was terrible, as expected.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #1047 on: March 29, 2010, 08:41:31 PM »

Yeah. Vince Cable made a brilliant showing. Darling was alright. Osbourne was terrible, as expected.

General consensus seems to be that Cable was very good, Darling was mediocre, and Osborne was slightly worse than mediocre but better than expected. Helps the Lib Dems but neutral in the Lab-Con battles, maybe favoring the Cons because this was always going to be the worst debate for them, yet they didn't bomb.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1048 on: March 29, 2010, 09:06:31 PM »

I have the same consensus, really. I think that Osbourne saying "The Liberal Democrats will not form the next government" (or something like that) was a bit unnecessary.
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #1049 on: March 29, 2010, 09:19:19 PM »

I have the same consensus, really. I think that Osbourne saying "The Liberal Democrats will not form the next government" (or something like that) was a bit unnecessary.

Yeah, it really was. I think it was probably one of those lines from Tory HQ as they've been trying to make this a straight Con VS Lab fight.

The answer he gave to the student about which one of them could give her a job was just completely smarmy too.
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 39 40 41 [42] 43 44 45 46 47 ... 71  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies