Would you take the certainty of President Haley over the uncertainty of a Biden vs Trump rematch?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 12:48:00 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  2024 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, GeorgiaModerate, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Would you take the certainty of President Haley over the uncertainty of a Biden vs Trump rematch?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: If you could choose between a 100% guarantee of having President Nikki Haley for 4 years, or for a Biden vs Trump rematch, which would you choose?
Certainty of President Haley (D/left leaner)

Whatever is the outcome of a Biden vs Trump rematch (D/left leaner)

Certainty of President Haley (R/right leaner)

Whatever is the outcome of a Biden vs Trump rematch (R/right leaner)

Certainty of President Haley (Other)

Whatever is the outcome of a Biden vs Trump rematch (Other)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 72

Author Topic: Would you take the certainty of President Haley over the uncertainty of a Biden vs Trump rematch?  (Read 1123 times)
Florida Man for Crime
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 12, 2024, 02:17:03 AM »

I think it is a tough call for D/left leaners, but should be an easy choice for R/right leaners.

I think taking the certainty of Haley would probably be the patriotic choice, and would provide a higher likelihood of steering the US back towards being a stable democracy and turning the Republican party into at least a semi-normal political party.

On the other hand I'd say the best argument for risking a Biden vs Trump matchup is climate change, simply because it is so time-sensitive. The climate may not have another 4 years to waste on inaction, and in that respect it doesn't seem likely a Haley Presidency would be much different from a Trump Presidency. However, Biden probably would not do and/or would not be able to do much about it either even if he ended up the winner of a Biden vs Trump rematch, so we may be screwed regardless.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2024, 02:27:30 AM »

Unless you support Trump in the primaries , I don’t know how your answer can be anything but yes to this question.
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2024, 02:30:45 AM »

Certainty of Haley for sure. I don’t like Haley and I certainly do not like her politics, but her presidency would be a survivable event and woukd probably mean that the terrible era of Trump was over. I’ll take that any day over risking a catastrophic second Trrump term that could well end western civilization as we know it.
Shaula🏳️‍⚧️
Shaula
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2024, 02:34:28 AM »

Both Biden and Trump are significantly better than Haley so obviously I would not take the deal.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2024, 03:13:21 AM »

I would take Haley given the rhetoric Trump has been using about his second term is outright authoritarian, and frankly chilling. My biggest concern with Haley actually is not actually climate change, even if she repeals the tax credits, business is going to continue to innovate and find ways to deal with it anyways, what I find unworkable is the plan to veto spending bills not going back to 2019 levels. I understand some people may think our spending is excessive, but there needs to be an actual plan on what to cut and why to cut it rather than some arbitrary number.

Anyways, Trump currently looks better than a 50-50 bet to beat Biden if he's nominated, so I don't think I would roll the dice at this point, I have never been much of a gambler anyways, and prefer the glass half full outcome.
RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.26

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2024, 03:47:36 AM »

Given Biden seems too delusional to realize he's a horrible candidate at this point, absolutely.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2024, 04:25:20 AM »

Guaranteeing that the Republican Party supports NATO, Ukraine and democracy is more important than what Biden could achieve in a second term. A Trump presidency is a threat to the whole world and to the US's long-term status in a way that Haley isn't.
David Hume
davidhume
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: 1.22

P P
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2024, 05:06:56 AM »

Unless you support Trump in the primaries , I don’t know how your answer can be anything but yes to this question.
As you know, I am the strongest DeSantis supporter, a never-Trumper, and support Republican in any down-ballot race. I support aids to Ukraine.

But no, I prefer Biden over Haley. In fact, I prefer any Dem over Haley.
Redban

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2024, 05:36:42 AM »
« Edited: January 12, 2024, 05:57:28 AM by Redban »

As you know, I am the strongest DeSantis supporter, a never-Trumper, and support Republican in any down-ballot race. I support aids to Ukraine.

But no, I prefer Biden over Haley. In fact, I prefer any Dem over Haley.

Bolded makes zero sense. If Trump or DeSantis give you 100% of what you want, then Biden gives you 0% of what you want and Haley gives you about 85-90% of what you want

But brb- “I prefer Biden over haley” … ??
SnowLabrador
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2024, 07:29:50 AM »

I would. As of right now, I'd bet my house that Trump beats Biden.
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2024, 08:21:01 AM »

I think it is a tough call for D/left leaners, but should be an easy choice for R/right leaners.
So far, the opposite seems to be true.
nerd73
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -7.83

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2024, 09:43:25 AM »

The liberal establishment of this forum has once again fallen hook, line, and sinker for the 'moderate Republican' myth. Nikki Haley's far-right masters are the same people as Trump's far-right masters, and she will undermine democracy just as much, if not more than Trump, if only because she would be smart enough to use legal means of doing so.

Trumpism is not an aberration in the Republican Party, it has been the goal this entire time.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2024, 09:46:48 AM »

Nope. I'd rather take my chances. Trump is apocalyptic but I don't trust Haley a cent either. She's possibly the most craven and untrustworthy politician out there. There's no scenario where she should be running the country either.
Compuzled_One
United States
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2024, 10:31:08 AM »

I ain't giving Trump a cent of a cent chance to get back in the White House. Haley may be a jingoist who appeals to homophobes and transphobes, but she's not a criminal and she denied wanting to send the military to the streets last debate (jeez, we've fallen so far to the point that has to be a question), so she'll be better than the authoritarian loving traitor and violator. Plus, if she reads tea leaves well, maybe it won't be that bad.
Catholics vs. Convicts
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2024, 10:54:10 AM »

Yes. I would generally be fine with a President Haley. There would be some typical Republican nonsense happening, but it would be worth not risking another trump presidency.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2024, 11:13:49 AM »

No she is only electable to WC whites due to middle class tax cuts not to blks and if Rs moderated on tax cuts they can win
Medal506
United States

« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2024, 11:15:22 AM »

I’d rather Biden over Haley. Haley completely disarms the opposition
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2024, 11:16:11 AM »

I can't shake the fear that Haley would attack Iran. She is an old school neoconservative. The last thing we need is someone even more hawkish than Biden has been post-Afghanistan.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2024, 11:16:30 AM »

They want it all the tax cuts for rich and the Prez and Congress you can't have it all moderate on tax cuts
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2024, 11:20:21 AM »

Considering that Haley has said she would pardon Trump I don't see the difference between her and Trump in the general. Trumpism would not go away under any Republican presidency and if anything it would be worse. Anyone who proposes raising the retirement age is an unacceptable candidate.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2024, 11:27:18 AM »

I mean, it's tempting, that's for sure. I'm glad it's just a hypothetical.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2024, 11:27:19 AM »

Yes, honestly. I wouldn't worry about the future of American democracy with Haley in office.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2024, 11:51:52 AM »
« Edited: January 12, 2024, 01:31:13 PM by HagridOfTheDeep »

My instinct is to say yes, as Biden is toast.

That said, I was really disappointed in her debate with Ron when she stuck to the idea of raising the retirement age for people in their 20s. Young folks have been dunked on enough. They work harder for less, home ownership is out of reach for many, student loans are crippling… the American Dream is failing. Meanwhile, old people got to go through a system where one income was enough to buy a home, put a car in the driveway, and support a whole family. Young people barely have time to cook or do groceries—there is deep, deep burnout. And now we’re going to tell them they have to work until they’re 70, too? It already feels like what has been promised is not actually coming, so any politician whose solution is to take away from young people is not going to get m support. Plus, Trump is probably shrewd enough not to talk that way, as he sees an opening with young people himself.

Does it make the dictator-wannabe preferable? No—I still get what’s at stake. But it’s still wrong to talk like these Republicans are “good.” Trump has made the bar so low, and we forget that.
quesaisje
Electric Circus
United States

« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2024, 12:55:10 PM »

Roll the dice. I don't care if you need a hard six to win with Biden. Roll the dice, whatever the odds.

Haley would be a simpering patsy to some of the donor groups that haven't fared as well under Trump. She simultaneously would need to assuage the doubts of a skeptical MAGA base. Why would you expect that to work out in your favor?

American democracy will not be saved because we elect a Republican who cynically played along with Trump's caudillo-esque shtick rather than Trump himself. The rot doesn't go away just because you shove it somewhere less visible.
Old Man Willow
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2024, 01:09:49 PM »
« Edited: January 12, 2024, 01:14:23 PM by Maligore »

No. As someone who is not a fiscal conservative, and certainly not an interventionist, I'm not sure I even prefer Haley to Biden. As much as I despise Trump as a human being, he is still much better on policies (though terrible at actually implementing them) than either of the other two choices, so taking a chance on Trump vs Biden is the only scenario with a potentially decent outcome.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies