"The Marvels" on pace to be the MCU's first massive bomb
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 07:39:00 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  "The Marvels" on pace to be the MCU's first massive bomb
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7
Author Topic: "The Marvels" on pace to be the MCU's first massive bomb  (Read 3701 times)
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 06, 2023, 09:39:40 PM »

https://screenrant.com/the-marvels-ticket-presales-projections-black-adam-the-flash-bomb-comparison/

Ticket sales for the next Marvel Cinematic Universe film, "The Marvels," are worse than two historic bombs from the rival DC Cinematic Universe from the past year alone.

If this pace continues, this nearly 300 million dollar film (without accounting for marketing costs) might be lucky to make 2/3rds of its budget back.

In other words, it looks like an unmitigated disaster for Marvel and comic book films in general.

Indeed, this year might be the first year in a while where the top few highest-grossing films won't be Marvel or comic book films; the three hour historical biopic Oppenheimer grossed millions more than Disney/Marvel's highest grossing film, Guardians of the Galaxy Part 3.

Are we FINALLY seeing a sea change? Will the 2020s be the decade where audiences reject superheroes and comic book films and ask for some more actual movies for adults again? Hell, even the year's highest grosser Barbie (though also a franchise film) was more adult and intelligent than capes--t has been for years.

I certainly hope so...
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2023, 09:47:12 PM »

The fact is the MCU should have ended the franchise with Endgame as that was almost a perfect ending for the franchise and then have your occasional Spider-Man movie every couple years .

Neo-Malthusian Misanthrope
Seef
Canada

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: 1.57

P
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2023, 09:54:45 PM »

I'm surprised this movie got a $300 million budget let alone a theatrical release in the first place considering 2/3rds of its leads are from TV shows that I doubt got the viewership of even the least watched MCU movies. Maybe it's because first Captain Marvel made a billion dollars, even though I think it's the one pre-Endgame MCU I never watched. I guess Disney thought they could catch that lightning in a bottle again, ignoring that movie came out at pretty much peak MCU when a Howard the Duck movie would have probably made a billion too.

I hope Barbie and Oppenheimer, and other fare like Dune, have proven the viability of giving ~100 million to creatives with proven track records and letting them make things that are less cookie cutter than superhero shlock while still keeping A-list casts and crews involved. I'm not a cinephile, I don't need weird French arthouse fare, just give me some decent adaptations and put "from the director/writer of [notable movie]" on the poster and I'll be happy, plus I'm sure the studios can scrape in a few hundred million when the budgets aren't massively ballooned.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2023, 10:46:21 PM »

I'm so glad this crap is declining. Star Wars too.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2023, 11:00:26 PM »

Meh.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2023, 11:12:01 PM »

Good. Superhero movies are overrated.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2023, 04:17:07 AM »
« Edited: November 07, 2023, 06:20:31 AM by Middle-aged Europe »

Following the grand finale of the Infinity Saga back in 2019, the MCU jumped the shark... with the notable exception of Spider-Man: No Way Home, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3, WandaVision, and Loki.

But that's still way more misses than hits, and the seemingly never-ending string of mediocre TV "miniseries" has become a nuisance in particular. Or maybe not, since with the exception of Loki I've simply stopped watching them. And Loki is good precisely because it completely ignores the usual superhero formula and essentially attempts to do a American version of Doctor Who with English actor Tom Hiddleston in the lead role and Owen Wilson as his Companion (Hiddleston even kind of looks like Paul McGann as the Doctor in the Americanized Doctor Who of 1996).

Anyway, I only watch MCU movies and series on a need-to-see basis now when they happen to have good reviews or IMDb ratings once in a while.
Rand
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2023, 04:18:25 AM »

Maybe throw an apron on Captain Marvel instead of a superhero costume. The world needs saving but the dishes also need to be done, you know?
Samof94
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2023, 06:02:30 AM »

https://screenrant.com/the-marvels-ticket-presales-projections-black-adam-the-flash-bomb-comparison/

Ticket sales for the next Marvel Cinematic Universe film, "The Marvels," are worse than two historic bombs from the rival DC Cinematic Universe from the past year alone.

If this pace continues, this nearly 300 million dollar film (without accounting for marketing costs) might be lucky to make 2/3rds of its budget back.

In other words, it looks like an unmitigated disaster for Marvel and comic book films in general.

Indeed, this year might be the first year in a while where the top few highest-grossing films won't be Marvel or comic book films; the three hour historical biopic Oppenheimer grossed millions more than Disney/Marvel's highest grossing film, Guardians of the Galaxy Part 3.

Are we FINALLY seeing a sea change? Will the 2020s be the decade where audiences reject superheroes and comic book films and ask for some more actual movies for adults again? Hell, even the year's highest grosser Barbie (though also a franchise film) was more adult and intelligent than capes--t has been for years.

I certainly hope so...
I feel part of it is the actors and writers' strikes that are unrelated to the film itself.
Farmlands
Portugal

Political Matrix
E: 0.77, S: -0.14

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2023, 12:41:27 PM »

I certainly hope so...
I feel part of it is the actors and writers' strikes that are unrelated to the film itself.

I don't see it. The Flash, one of the most famous DC heroes and Marvel's Ant-Man both performed really poorly this year. The public is tiring of the super-hero genre, and a not too-interesting looking movie, requiring advance watching of obscure Disney+ content, was just prime to fail.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2023, 01:41:50 PM »

The average super hero crowd only want women there for eye candy no matter what the stories they read say. It’ll be fine with theater and streaming which will infuriate the incels.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2023, 05:18:37 PM »

Time now for Redban to cite this as another example of "woke" movies bombing showing disaster for the Democrats, because it was directed by a black woman.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2023, 05:27:44 PM »

I saw a trailer for it a couple weeks ago when I went to see a different movie. Superhero crap aside this film just doesn't look appealing at all. I can't imagine anyone aside from Marvel die-hards and those weird people who go see literally everything wanting to watch it.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2023, 05:34:47 PM »

I saw a trailer for it a couple weeks ago when I went to see a different movie. Superhero crap aside this film just doesn't look appealing at all. I can't imagine anyone aside from Marvel die-hards and those weird people who go see literally everything wanting to watch it.
I saw the trailer before Oppenheimer and that was basically my reaction as well.
Pouring Rain and Blairing Music
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2023, 02:23:52 AM »

The fact is the MCU should have ended the franchise with Endgame as that was almost a perfect ending for the franchise and then have your occasional Spider-Man movie every couple years .

Generally agree, but I was disappointed in No Way Home. I’m just not a fan of the multiverse as the MCU used it there or in Wandavision/Dr Strange 2. It’s just too pessimistic imo. I loved the first two Tom Holland Spider-Man movies, but the third just wasn’t fun and I didn’t enjoy it.

I’ve heard good things about Loki, but haven’t had the chance to watch it.

Won’t be seeing The Marvels mostly because, like others have mentioned, I don’t have the time to invest into watching mediocre shows to get the backstory. It was enough to watch all the movies ahead of Infinity War/Endgame.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2023, 02:28:53 AM »

Generally agree, but I was disappointed in No Way Home. I’m just not a fan of the multiverse as the MCU used it there or in Wandavision/Dr Strange 2. It’s just too pessimistic imo. I loved the first two Tom Holland Spider-Man movies, but the third just wasn’t fun and I didn’t enjoy it.

I’ve heard good things about Loki, but haven’t had the chance to watch it.

Won’t be seeing The Marvels mostly because, like others have mentioned, I don’t have the time to invest into watching mediocre shows to get the backstory. It was enough to watch all the movies ahead of Infinity War/Endgame.

Didn't even see the other Spider-Man MCU sequels. No Way Home I ONLY watched and kinda liked for Tobey Maguire. I'd much MUCH rather see a proper Spider-Man 4 starring him and Kirsten Dunst and directed by Sam Raimi, with an adult Spider-Man (perhaps even with his daughter featured as well), than any other superhero movie imaginable. I can't be alone in this, nostalgia is at an all-time high... Sony would be dumb NOT to make this. Especially if the MCU is sinking anyway, just ditch it and do your own thing with the OG Spider-Man.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2023, 05:47:46 PM »

I say let’s see.

Movies in general have been duds this year

And people thought The Little Mermaid would be a huge flop, and it wasn’t.

So let’s see.
VBM
VBNMWEB
YaBB God

« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2023, 07:33:14 PM »

I say let’s see.

Movies in general have been duds this year

And people thought The Little Mermaid would be a huge flop, and it wasn’t.

So let’s see.
I still don’t get why people want to see these terrible live action remakes. What do they offer that the original movies don’t?
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2023, 02:59:30 AM »

IGN gave a pretty good review, calling it a “triumph” and predictions of doom overblown
https://www.ign.com/articles/the-marvels-review-brie-larson-samuel-l-jackson-mcu
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2023, 06:26:08 AM »

If the movie isn't good then so be it. The only thing that will anger me is that all the racist incel losers and the youtube troglodytes like Nerdrotic and Ryan Kinell who prey on them will never stop bragging about "go woke, go broke" and that only movies with white dudes as leads can be good and financially successful.
Trans Rights Are Human Rights
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2023, 06:40:29 AM »

If the movie isn't good then so be it. The only thing that will anger me is that all the racist incel losers and the youtube troglodytes like Nerdrotic and Ryan Kinell who prey on them will never stop bragging about "go woke, go broke" and that only movies with white dudes as leads can be good and financially successful.
Now that, I don't get. This year, we had Barbie, and even if we limit ourselves to superhero movies, the Spider-Verse films literally had an Afro-Latino protagonist (and a trans deuteragonist don't @ me) and so far have made a billion. And sure, maybe Spider-Man is the exception that proves the rule, but The Marvels isn't going to flop because Brie Larson has the woke mind virus; if it flops, it'll be because the MCU has been going on five years too long.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2023, 07:02:00 AM »

Now that, I don't get. This year, we had Barbie, and even if we limit ourselves to superhero movies, the Spider-Verse films literally had an Afro-Latino protagonist (and a trans deuteragonist don't @ me) and so far have made a billion. And sure, maybe Spider-Man is the exception that proves the rule, but The Marvels isn't going to flop because Brie Larson has the woke mind virus; if it flops, it'll be because the MCU has been going on five years too long.

I still laugh every time I think about Critical Drinker's Barbie video where he warned parents not to let their little girls watch it because when they grow up they will become "misandric psychopathic killers".

John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2023, 12:05:18 PM »

I wonder how much of the budget went to RT critics in order to keep that score above 60%.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2023, 01:01:46 PM »

We also have to consider how the strikes meant none of the actors were allowed to promote the movie.
Anti-Trump Truth Socialite JD Vance Enjoying Juror
NYDem
United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2023, 07:05:12 PM »

The longer a film series goes on the harder it is to get interested in because of the amount of background needed to understand what’s going on. No movie is going to be a smash hit when you have to watch two whole TV shows and a dozen other films to know what’s happening.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies