"The Marvels" on pace to be the MCU's first massive bomb
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 12, 2024, 05:38:33 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  "The Marvels" on pace to be the MCU's first massive bomb
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7
Author Topic: "The Marvels" on pace to be the MCU's first massive bomb  (Read 3394 times)
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2023, 07:44:45 PM »

'Captain Marvel' wasn't nearly as bad as I was told it was, but I can't say I'm particularly interested in this sequel to it especially to the point of going to a theater and paying ridiculous prices to see it. I'll probably watch it when it eventually comes to Disney+, and I think that's becoming the increasingly common practice, thus eating into box office profits.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2023, 07:52:28 PM »

Seeing reports from box office nerds that this has the potential to literally be the biggest box office bomb of all-time. Even worse than Indy 5.

Wow, this has been a hell of a year for bombs at the box office! And that's before you even look at Oppenheimer!
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2023, 04:08:38 AM »

Seeing reports from box office nerds that this has the potential to literally be the biggest box office bomb of all-time. Even worse than Indy 5.

Uh, have you heard of "Heaven's Gate"?
"Cutthroat Island"?
"Ishtar"?
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2023, 10:27:37 AM »
« Edited: November 10, 2023, 09:47:57 PM by Alben Barkley »

"Cutthroat Island"?
"Ishtar"?

None of those lost as much money as this will. That’s how a bomb is defined. A film can make less money but if it has a lower budget, it won't bomb as hard as a huge budget film that flops.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2023, 10:41:12 AM »

"Cutthroat Island"?
"Ishtar"?

None of those lost as much money as this will.

I'm in awe of your knowledge of the future, Doc Brown.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2023, 11:03:06 AM »

"Cutthroat Island"?
"Ishtar"?

None of those lost as much money as this will.

I'm in awe of your knowledge of the future, Doc Brown.
We have actual data though to base this off, it's not just "vibes". A majority of movie tickets are bought in advance now, at least in the US so we can already track the sales. In fact even private individuals can see this by looking at how many seats are already sold.

I checked out presales and reserved seats at theaters near me. Probably the largest and best known theater in the inner part of the Twin Cities, the one at Southdale Mall in Edina, has an about half sold out showing in Dolby Cinema tonight at 8PM. Typically a movie like this would probably be sold out completely if not close to it, I know both Barbenheimer movies were days in advance. And that's the most sold out one, their standard one at 4:30 has just 8 seats sold. The more upscale theater in St. Louis Park has only standard showings but is at most like 1/5 full in any showing I can find. Now I'm sure there will plenty more sales this afternoon and a good number of walk-ins, but that's pretty weak for a movie of this size. That's probably weaker than Five Nights at Freddy's got last week.

I bet you can do this in Germany too, and it's kind of fun even if you aren't interested in seeing the movie.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2023, 11:12:44 AM »

"Cutthroat Island"?
"Ishtar"?

None of those lost as much money as this will. That’s how a bomb is defined. A film can make less money but if it has a lower budget, it won@5 bomb as hard as a huge budget film that flops.

Heaven's Gate literally bankrupted one of Hollywood's oldest and most renowned studios.
It is until today the definition of a box office bomb and perhaps the most infamous movie of all time.

(It's also pretty good if you aren't intimidated by its runtime and sit down to watch it)
NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2023, 11:20:08 AM »

I gave up on following the MCU the second I heard they killed (and then brought back to life, maybe? I don't know if anyone knows) Wanda.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2023, 11:51:10 AM »

I just checked and even Killers of the Flower Moon, an R-rated 3.5 hour movie that I saw at a matinee screening almost three weeks after it came out, had more seats filled than some of the Marvels times have at the same theater now.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #34 on: November 10, 2023, 11:58:46 AM »

"Cutthroat Island"?
"Ishtar"?

None of those lost as much money as this will. That’s how a bomb is defined. A film can make less money but if it has a lower budget, it won@5 bomb as hard as a huge budget film that flops.

Heaven's Gate literally bankrupted one of Hollywood's oldest and most renowned studios.
It is until today the definition of a box office bomb and perhaps the most infamous movie of all time.

(It's also pretty good if you aren't intimidated by its runtime and sit down to watch it)

It is also nearly 45 years old. The industry has changed and one bomb is not capable of sinking a studio anymore. Any one of these disastrous Disney flops would've easily killed United Artists just like Heaven's Gate did.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #35 on: November 10, 2023, 12:12:52 PM »

"Cutthroat Island"?
"Ishtar"?

It is also nearly 45 years old. The industry has changed and one bomb is not capable of sinking a studio anymore. Any one of these disastrous Disney flops would've easily killed United Artists just like Heaven's Gate did.

Disney doesn’t really consider any of them bombs as it doesn’t matter what the terminally only middle aged dudes think because the studio makes its money.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #36 on: November 10, 2023, 12:15:39 PM »

"Cutthroat Island"?
"Ishtar"?

Disney doesn’t really consider any of them bombs as it doesn’t matter what the terminally only middle aged dudes think because the studio makes its money.
Except they're not making money. That's the point.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #37 on: November 10, 2023, 12:26:55 PM »

"Cutthroat Island"?
"Ishtar"?

They're losing hundreds of millions of dollars. I am actually what would presumably be one of Marvel's target demographics, not that I have ever liked their movies, but I don't even know who they are even trying to appeal to now.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #38 on: November 10, 2023, 12:38:09 PM »

They're losing hundreds of millions of dollars. I am actually what would presumably be one of Marvel's target demographics, not that I have ever liked their movies, but I don't even know who they are even trying to appeal to now.

The only MCU movie to lose money under normal circumstances (not released during the pandemic) is Ant-Man 3. Everything else was profitable. Some of you people must learn the difference between one movie underperforming at the box office and being a bomb.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #39 on: November 10, 2023, 02:23:33 PM »

The only MCU movie to lose money under normal circumstances (not released during the pandemic) is Ant-Man 3. Everything else was profitable. Some of you people must learn the difference between one movie underperforming at the box office and being a bomb.

I think almost every superhero movie except for Spiderman and Batman post-pandemic were flops. Maybe that Sam Raimi Dr. Strange movie made money.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #40 on: November 10, 2023, 02:38:53 PM »

I think almost every superhero movie except for Spiderman and Batman post-pandemic were flops. Maybe that Sam Raimi Dr. Strange movie made money.

Of course it made money, it grossed almost a billion despite the fact that it wasn't screened in China.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #41 on: November 10, 2023, 09:47:35 PM »

This one is, again, about to literally be potentially the biggest bomb of all-time in terms of dollars lost, topping Disney's own John Carter and The Lone Ranger, two disasters from the early 2010s. Let alone this year's Dial of Destiny and The Flash.

This is not just me saying this, this is the forecast from box office experts based on hard data that's being confirmed now that the movie's been released.

Some people must learn what the definition of what a "bomb" is and stop being so f--king unwarrantedly smug when you're objectively wrong.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #42 on: November 10, 2023, 09:53:52 PM »

"Cutthroat Island"?
"Ishtar"?

Except they're not making money. That's the point.

Disney's only real success this year is the Guardians of the Galaxy sequel, and even that arguably underperformed by only matching its predecessor's gross, which means it made less adjusted for inflation. Every other movie from all their studios -- the massive disaster that was Indy 5, the failed to break even Little Mermaid remake and Pixar movie Elemental, the previous MCU movie Ant-Man -- they all flopped. This one and Indy are the big BOMBS though. Oh along with that Haunted Mansion movie I almost forgot existed already.

It's utterly laughable and only reveals one's total ignorance on the subject to claim the studio is "making its money" and only "terminally online middle age dudes" dislike recent Disney films. They are literally losing money and people across all demographics are not showing up to see these movies. Obviously it's not going to bankrupt a giant like Disney to have one bad year at the box office, but it's absurd to pretend it's still 2019 and they are rolling out hit after hit when the opposite is true.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #43 on: November 10, 2023, 10:54:18 PM »

This one is, again, about to literally be potentially the biggest bomb of all-time in terms of dollars lost, topping Disney's own John Carter and The Lone Ranger, two disasters from the early 2010s. Let alone this year's Dial of Destiny and The Flash.

This is not just me saying this, this is the forecast from box office experts based on hard data that's being confirmed now that the movie's been released.

Some people must learn what the definition of what a "bomb" is and stop being so f--king unwarrantedly smug when you're objectively wrong.

I don't understand why you are getting so worked up for my objectively true answer to another poster. I haven't a crystal ball to see the future, like you obviously, so allow me to judge the Marvels' box office after the movie gets released and not before.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #44 on: November 10, 2023, 10:57:05 PM »

Disney's only real success this year is the Guardians of the Galaxy sequel, and even that arguably underperformed by only matching its predecessor's gross, which means it made less adjusted for inflation. Every other movie from all their studios -- the massive disaster that was Indy 5, the failed to break even Little Mermaid remake and Pixar movie Elemental, the previous MCU movie Ant-Man -- they all flopped. This one and Indy are the big BOMBS though. Oh along with that Haunted Mansion movie I almost forgot existed already.

Elemental DEFINITELY did not flop. It looked initially to do so but had insane legs and managed to turn a small profit at the end.
Once again you show your ignorance.
Independents for Nihilism
Seef
Canada

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: 1.57

P
« Reply #45 on: November 11, 2023, 03:14:12 AM »
« Edited: November 11, 2023, 03:18:52 AM by Dean Phillips target demo »

I don't understand why you are getting so worked up for my objectively true answer to another poster. I haven't a crystal ball to see the future, like you obviously, so allow me to judge the Marvels' box office after the movie gets released and not before.

Dude, there's a projection that the Marvels will make less than the Ed Norton Hulk movie which means it won't even make back its production budget (which is the highest of any non-Avengers Marvel flick) let alone its marketing. Obviously predictions can be wrong but if it holds this movie will lose hundreds of millions of dollars, perhaps even more than Indiana Jones did. It won't kill Disney but it may be the single largest loss by dollar value. I think that's a fair criterion for "biggest bomb ever".
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #46 on: November 11, 2023, 07:37:35 AM »

85% audience score on rotten tomatoes. The angry men/incel crowd will soon tank that hard but as usual the early “the movie will be terrible” crowd (which is always women led movies) never turns out to be as bad as they pretend it will be.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #47 on: November 11, 2023, 11:35:56 AM »
« Edited: November 11, 2023, 11:46:40 AM by Voter #77 »

85% audience score on rotten tomatoes. The angry men/incel crowd will soon tank that hard but as usual the early “the movie will be terrible” crowd (which is always women led movies) never turns out to be as bad as they pretend it will be.
The Rise of Skywalker has a 86% audience score. Those are easily manipulated and mean nothing.

And now we have actual box office numbers:

That would make it the lowest grossing MCU opening weekend ever likely. The only one it might beat if it overperforms on the weekend is The Incredible Hulk...released all the way back in 2008. Its $55.4 million opening is equivalent to over $79 million today.

Even that last Ant-Man movie cited as the only MCU movie to actually lose money opened with over double that.

EDIT: Also according to this the CinemaScore is a B. Anything below an A is considered disappointing: https://deadline.com/2023/11/box-office-the-marvels-1235599363/
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #48 on: November 11, 2023, 12:10:11 PM »

The Rise of Skywalker has a 86% audience score. Those are easily manipulated and mean nothing.

They were manipulated by haters who review-bombed movies without even seeing them but that changed after the first Captain Marvel. Now you have to prove you actually watched the film before voting (through Fandango).
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #49 on: November 11, 2023, 12:21:24 PM »

They were manipulated by haters who review-bombed movies without even seeing them but that changed after the first Captain Marvel. Now you have to prove you actually watched the film before voting (through Fandango).
Yes but that doesn't mean it's a random sample of people who saw it like a poll. Die hard Marvel fan boys are the ones voting. Clearly also the case for people convinced Star Wars could never do wrong with The Rise if Skywalker although today no one defends that abomination and Star Wars die-hards hate it as much as Jar Jar Binks.

I highly doubt this movie is anywhere near as bad as TRoS but the box office numbers so far are in lime with the predictions here that were being dismissed.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies