Fear and Loathing in Nixonland (Gameplay Thread)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 03, 2024, 04:46:47 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  Fear and Loathing in Nixonland (Gameplay Thread)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9
Author Topic: Fear and Loathing in Nixonland (Gameplay Thread)  (Read 14666 times)
Senator Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: November 09, 2023, 03:09:21 AM »

The Raging Storm

Following recent domestic terrorism events, Sam Yorty prepared the following address to the nation at a publicized stop in Chicago, IL:

Good evening. There is no mistaking what we all feel deep inside: This has been a calamitous past month of events for America. I am here in Chicago, the site of an attempted poisoning of the entire water supply by two radical punks who toyed with millions of innocent civilians' lives. Though they were thankfully foiled, look no further than the plots unraveling across multiple other major cities for the terror unleashed. We have been witness to the Black Liberation Army rampaging our streets, taking the precious lives of our men and women in law enforcement, from New York to Baton Rogue. Their violent ideology of hate and division has only metastasized thanks to utter failure from the leadership we put our trust into.

If you remember the Sixties like I do, you know the worst of what our nation's fabric faced. These schemes of looting and terrorizing hit home for many Americans, including for my home of Los Angeles, where we managed the fallout of the Watts insurrection. Americans were promised after 1968 that we would turn a chapter on these dark days, to restore order and bring justice to those who tempted our destruction. Yet, when we turn on the evening news, we see little has changed. Why? How could they allow this bloodshed, this madness, to continue unabated?

I will tell you why: They don't give a damn about you. They never have! Many of our so-called leaders in Washington are too occupied by personal vendettas, too meek to respond forcefully, or too willing to condone these thugs and terrorists. I am angry as hell about this situation, and you have every right to be as well. How can the White House or Congress sleep well at night, knowing that these black radicals in the Panthers and BLA are festering with the Communists to bring down these United States from within? Those criminal killers of our officers should have been stopped and locked up long before any of these tragedies unfolded!

When I began this campaign, I warned of the continued desecration of America. For every plot undertaken, every shootout or bombing unfolded, and every life lost senselessly to this war on America, the more condemned Washington is on their inaction. I pledge as President to fully reverse ship and end this crisis once and for all. No longer shall we deprive states and cities of the resources they need to fight off and defend us from threats. There will be no toleration of our politicians playing footsie with the radicals. Law enforcement across all levels will be respected and protected, not endlessly vilified. You and your families deserve to feel safety and comfort no matter what race, sex, age, or other walk of life you may belong to. My relentless mission is to ensure this.

There is a raging storm across the American people. They have gotten fed up with the cowardice and selfishness across both parties in dealing with these malcontents. Make no mistake, folks: Law and order is the defining issue of our times. It has been that way for a number of years, but it has painfully become clearer at this moment. In 1972, who will offer true leadership with backbone on matters of national security? Meanwhile, who will buckle to the threat as they always have? Let this address of mine be, if nothing else, a call to action among all my Democratic and Republican opponents to wisen up and act accordingly. The future of our nation is at stake.

Thank you.

Carolyn
Rookie
United States

« Reply #76 on: November 09, 2023, 01:33:02 PM »

Vance Hartke addressing students in the University of New Hampshire:

Anyone who dreams of being president should confront the reality of race relations in America. Our nation is a beautiful tapestry, but one woven of unequal fabrics. Poverty, violence, and discrimination continue to thwart Dr. King's hope that his children would be judged by the content of their character rather than the color of their skin.

It is this imbalance that we must address through the awesome capabilities of our government. This would mean ensuring the opportunity—a real one—for every American—whites, blacks, and other minorities included—to achieve a better standard of living in social, political, and economic terms.

Anyone who thinks this will be an easy and quick road is deluding themselves. It will take the full administrative and moral force of the presidency to bridge the gap in which we find ourselves. I find that the Republican Administration is unwilling and unable to provide that leadership.

Despite the deep-seated anger felt throughout America at the lack of courage to tackle these issues, there is no place for the politics of the extreme, of the bullet rather than the ballot. The murder of two policemen in New York City is abhorrent and should be condemned on every level possible. The perpetrators and their enablers must be found and brought to justice.

However, condemnation is not an excuse for blind repression. Just as another bomb won’t solve Vietnam, more officers with the same tactics won’t bring about security for our communities.

Standing up for order should mean concrete steps toward community policing where officers reflect the neighborhoods they protect. Standing up for the law should mean enforcing it equally and consistently in all states and territories in a way that upholds the dignity of all people.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #77 on: November 09, 2023, 02:46:51 PM »

Hart 1972

Excerpt from Town Hall in Manchester, New Hampshire

Q: Senator, the mudslinging among Democrats has continued. Has your view changed?

Hart: "No, it has not. This only helps the man in the White House right, Richard Nixon. We need to stop ripping each other to shreds over personal issues. That's a cardinal rule of politics; you never, ever target a candidate's family-especially their children-or personal life. I will never attack one of my opponents on anything but their policies or politics.

Where Senator Kennedy's children go to school are his business and his business alone. They are certainly not the business of a man who who slandered his black opponent three years ago as a black power radical or communist simply because he was scared of losing an honest election, nor are they the business of a man who stood in schoolhouse door to block kids from being educated based on the colour of their skin.

I will never resort to petty personal attacks on my opponents, nor will I make any attempt to drag their wives or children into a political debate because such things disgust me. We have to be better than the President and lift the tone of debate in this country, otherwise we will begin a slow march down the path of cynicism that will break our society.

Excerpt from rally in Jacksonville, Florida

"We often hear people say that the south is too conservative for the values of liberalism to survive. That we can't push too hard on civil rights or urban issues because it's too conservative. The results of 1970 beg to differ; we elected good men in Dale Bumpers, Jimmy Carter, and your own Reubin Askew as governors in the south.

We can win in the south, even while pushing the ideas of liberalism; the defining one of civil rights in particular. What has happened here for the last two years proves my point: we cannot simply surrender our ideals for the sake of a few votes! From what I can see, our ideals are popular with the people of this country!

I urge my fellow Democrats, don't give into fear. Stand by the values of your party."

Overall strategy

Hart experienced a somewhat quiet week on the campaign trail, mostly attending to his duties in the Senate, though he did continue to make stops all over New Hampshire and Florida, hammering on his ideas of integrity and honesty, as well as outlining key policy planks. Hart outlined what would be a central idea to his campaign; that of reviving America's urban centres with a comprehensive program that combined tax incentives with modernised police training, streamlined sentencing guidelines and programs for housing, jobs, and infrastructure.

Finally, he rounded out the early stage of the campaign by announcing his support for a slate of anti-war delegates being organised in Iowa. Hart, declaring that their movement had to be bigger than one man, said that a strong force of anti-war delegates would strengthen their movement.

Hart's moment in New Hampshire is cut into TV and radio ads; anything negative about his opponent will be said by him personally, he will never personally attack his opponents or their families, and he will never tell a lie to the American people.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #78 on: November 09, 2023, 03:40:31 PM »
« Edited: November 09, 2023, 04:19:42 PM by Lumine »

Rolling Stone - Interview with Philip Hart

JAN. 1972

1.- Senator, you’ve spoken a lot about the defense of “our ideals”, presumably meaning Democratic ideals. What are those?

Our party has always stood on principle. Wehter that was doing what was needed to end the Great Depression, or leading this country in a war against the greatest evil mankind has ever known. Our Party should stand for equal opportunity, defence of rights for all citizens, and for lifting up the disadvantaged.

These are not just the ideal of the Democratic Party, but the ideals of the nation. We have always stood up against injustice and said that we can do better. We're facing a increasingly cynical world, but that is no excuse to simply let our principles of honesty, integrity, and idealism disappear. If we don't stand by our ideals of helping the less fortunate, protecting civil and voting rights, and equal opportunity in this country, then what's the point of a Democratic Party?

2.- And in what way are other candidates not defending those ideals?

I believe our other candidates have the best intentions regarding their own honesty and integrity and in defending the ideals of the party, but I also believe that they all represent one thing I have always fought against: sacrificing those values for the sake of political expediency.

Governor Wallace was progressive on civil rights until he was beaten in his first race for Governor; he makes loud noises about supporting our workers, but he governs one of the most aggressively right-to-work states in the country. When Senator Humphrey was Vice President, he was a supporter of the Vietnam war; Senator Muskie when running for Vice President, he debated another congressman, arguing for the war. I have fought, and always will fight against the idea that we have to sacrifice our ideals for the sake of winning; that's not what people want from their politicians.

3.- If you had to pick a song that represented your campaign or what you stand for, which would it be?

Elvis Presley wrote a song four years ago called 'If I Can Dream'. I have found myself returning to it often in recent weeks.

4.- Senator, I’ll be blunt. Ted Kennedy has the popularity, Ed Muskie has the money, Humphrey has the connections, and Mayor Lindsay is more handsome. Why should the voters pick you?

I agree our other candidates have their strengths, so let me make my case clear: I never have, and never will tell a lie to the American people. Anytime I say anything negative about my opponents, I will always look into the camera and say it myself, so you know it's not being filtered.

Above all, I will never abandon my beliefs for the sake of expediency. Even if you disagree with me, you will know where I stand on the issues.

5.- If you had to name the worst thing Richard Nixon has ever done – only one – what would it be?

I think people should start looking at his 1946 Congressional race a bit more. Yes, it was nearly thirty years ago now, but some of the actions that were taken against a good man named Jerry Voorhis included all but naming him a communist and openly attacking his loyalty to the United States, the seeming co-opting of John Hoeppel as a stalking horse . . . I would suggest people look into that race more, because that is how this man, Richard Nixon, a man who will do whatever it takes to win, no matter whom he hurts, ended up in the White House.

6.- Senator, we’ve heard most candidates talk about Vietnam. But we haven’t heard them speak about all of those who are exiled or in jail for refusing to fight this war. So let me ask you point blank: do you support amnesty for draft dodgers?

I believe it's time America put this war in its rear-view mirror. Yes, I support it.

Humanitarian considerations aside, we also have to consider if staffing the military with draftees is the best way to go about things. An all-volunteer military is far more motivated to give there all to the service than someone who is ordered to be there by the government.

And in a war like Vietnam, without clearly defined objectives for our soldiers on the ground, it is little surprise that a lack of motivation in our draftees is causing issues with our military. Morale can destroy an army faster than combat; I was there for the collapse of German forces in Normandy, and saw that firsthand.

7.- Finally, and as it’s well known, millions of young voters will participate in the 1972 election for the first time on their lives. What is you – brief – message to them?

The Book of Timothy, chapter 4, verse 12: Don't let anyone think less of you because you are young. Be an example to all believers in what you say, in the way you live, in your love, your faith, and your purity.

For millions, this will be the first chance to make your voice heard. To let the country know of your dissatisfaction with our politics that has not treated your issues with the seriousness they deserve. Your generation has much to teach mine about the world today, so go out and cast your vote for your values, and don't let anyone tell you that you've wasted it.

GRADING: Hart's choosing of Rolling Stone is the ultimate definition of a high risk high reward gambit: it can be the way to make a name for himself amidst an overcrowded anti-war field, and it can also push him into making the kind of stances that can sink a run now and later. For the most part, Hart delivered the goods, standing his ground on integrity, slamming others for political expediency while taking his time to go to the heart of the matter on Nixon, and crucially, giving the Stone what it wanted by being the second candidate - after Lindsay - to outspokenly endorse some form of amnesty.

The interview, while criticized by many intellectuals in the left for lacking in specifics, vibes well with the magazine's older readers, and at least raises some interest from the young. Endorsing amnesty may yet horrify Middle America, but anti-war voters will be giving Hart a very serious look from now on.

Shortly after the release of the interview, Hunter S. Thompson will write one his dispatches from New Hampshire, praising "Phil Hart's big brass balls" and his takedown of Nixon's "moral rot". While writing Hart off as a no-hoper like McGovern, McCarthy and the rest, he express relief that there's at least someone who's not a complete swine running in New Hampshire.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #79 on: November 09, 2023, 08:58:16 PM »
« Edited: November 10, 2023, 11:09:43 AM by Chancellor Tanterterg »

Excerpt from John Lindsay town hall at an African-American church in Miami, Florida:

Question: "Every election, politicians roll on in asking for our votes and then forget about us as soon as the election is over.  How do we know you'll be any different?"  

Answer: "That's a fair question and I think it's one that every candidate should be able to answer.  I'd encourage anyone who doubts the steadfastness of my commitment to the struggle for civil rights, the sincerity of my concern for poor and underprivileged communities, or fears I may forget them after November to look at where I’ve gone since being elected Mayor.  

I didn't wait to visit low-income communities in Harlem and Bedford-Stuyvesant until I was running for reelection.  Plenty of people told me that there was nothing to be gained from visiting these struggling African-American communities.  I wouldn't be up for re-election for quite some time yet and no wealthy donors lived in these areas.  However, I went to listen to the problems of the people living there because rich or poor, they were my constituents and their plight meant just as much to me as that of any other citizen of New York City.  

So I'm not just here to say 'I'm John Lindsay, I'm running for President, and I'd like your vote.'  I'm here to say 'I'm John Lindsay and if you'll give me the opportunity, I want to do whatever I can to help.'  This election isn't about me and my ambitions, it's about solving the problems facing our country.  

I don't just talk in vague terms about some ill-defined 'fair wage,' I'm the only candidate who has committed implementing real solutions like raising the minimum wage to $2.50 an hour and chaining the minimum wage to inflation, so that hard-working Americans won't see the purchasing power of their paychecks decline during difficult economic times."
Senator Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #80 on: November 10, 2023, 01:08:02 PM »

Excerpts from Yorty camapign appearances

Des Moines, IA: As a kid growing up in Lincoln, Nebraska, I know the heartland very well. It has never left my conscience, and it in fact guides my approach to governing even all the way in Los Angeles. My time in government has always been devoted to Middle America: from the factory and trade workers, to our officers in service, to the housewives and caretakers within our families. Nobody else has the track record that I do in standing for the sensible center of our many pressing societal issues, not merely craven for votes from the rabble-rousing extremists threatening to take over this party. Join me in this campaign to put a stop to the madness engulfing our politics.

Derry, NH: Despite how Nixon may tout his numbers, it is clear this economy is far from working for the majority of regular folks. Cost of living has been made into more and more of a crunch for families, and the President's various schemes like price controls have not done the job. Now we even see OPEC manipulating the oil market to further enrich themselves. As President, I will work to ensure that Americans never have to survive off the whims of Arab oil. I will invest significant funding into the excavation of domestic energy sources, in addition to research on the future technologies ahead, so that America stands tall in self-sustaining energy. Once we act on this, rein in our heinous national debt, and subsidize our manufacturing sector, you will see quite a welcome change at the gas pump and grocery store.

Phoenix, AZ: We pay tribute to a giant of the Democratic Party and the nation itself: Senator Carl Hayden. It was under Senator Hayden's courage and leadership that he was a pioneer of the federal highway system connecting us all. He was always at heart a champion of the West, making sure that our Western states had representation and protection in our lands, resources, and people. Senator Hayden was an incredible role model for myself when I first got started in politics as a young California assemblyman. Though the man is sadly missed, his legacy shall persist for the lifetime of the nation, and it is imperative for all of us that we continue to build upon his work.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -4.78

P P P
« Reply #81 on: November 10, 2023, 03:02:46 PM »
« Edited: November 10, 2023, 03:09:54 PM by I stand with Rashida »

Senator Proxmire endorses Muskie

I'm here in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, to announce the endorsement of senator Proxmire. Senator Proxmire has represented the people of Wisconsin in the senate well, being an ardent advocate for environmentalism. He has been against the Vietnam war from the beginning and is a strong supporter of civil rights and civil liberties. I - as a presidential candidate - have been supportive of the civil rights movements as well. I want to continue the Warren Court legacy, and disapprove of attempts by Republicans and senator George Wallace to undo the progress we've made.
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #82 on: November 10, 2023, 05:24:39 PM »
« Edited: November 10, 2023, 09:12:15 PM by The Op »

Buckley announces creation of a Conservative National Committee of America
December 3rd, 1971 - NYT

NEW YORK, NEW YORK - Senator James L. Buckley (CONSERVATIVE-New York) announced the creation of an organization to support the elections of "constitutional conservative" Republicans in a press conference in the Overseas Press Club.

"The American people are of the Conservative ideal, and in order for the Republican Party to win, they need to unequivocally embrace the Conservative ideal that are endorsed by the American people. Many want America to transform into an administrative state, where the government passes unnecessary regulations to dictate your life or have your hard earned money be taken away from you for no good reason while the social fabric of America is collapsing and so are their dreams, aspirations and futures.

There are many who don't want to do that. You know, when I was elected nearly two years ago in the supposed heartland of American liberalism - I ran as a ardent and open Conservative against two candidates who were virtually interchangeable in their liberal positions and had no institutional support, and I won.

As I traversed through New York, I saw what the great people of this nation thought even in its most liberal areas. They saw many of their fellow citizenry burn the American flag in horror, they were trapped by bad policies which lead to high inflation and taxation leads to their earnings being strangled and their dreams collapsing while the streets are dangerous and unsafe to be in.

They felt scared for the future of this country, that their children would no longer be able to live the American standard of life they had lived in, and while many people don't think of themselves as Conservative, they believe in Conservative positions. The voters of New York are usually of a Democratic disposition, including many people who are part of traditionally left wing organizations like labor, but when clear Conservative alternatives to the stagnant liberal status quo emerged; they opted for the Conservatives.

Many people are unsatisfied with the status quo which hurts them, often with two candidates who differ little from each other and from the desires of the electorate. They want a free society with a weaker federal government where the government doesn't burden the American people with wasteful regulations and steal away their money, and a government that isn't turning into an administrative state, a country whose streets are safe, an America where the standard of life improves for the generations to come like the generations which proceeded us did.

The government should be aware of the voice of the American people, and The Conservative National Committee of America is an organization that aims to recruit like minded Conservative candidates, build local Conservative committees across the nation, and to encourage members to advocate for Conservative positions in their local Republican Parties nationwide."

Strategy

Over the next few months, The Conservative National Committee of America or the CNC shall work on creating the organization for the organization, with a focus on the American South and the Middle and Interior West. The CNC views the South as a groundswell for Republican Conservatism, with conservative Republicans doing well even with little support from the national party. The Interior West is a natural Republican heartland, and influencing those parties to be more conservative would lead to more conservative policies being enacted. While the inclusion of the Midwest as a strategy of focus was a point of contention, it was ultimately decided that the Midwest would be a good area to focus on as there are failing liberal cities, many rural areas, and another potential groundswell of support.  

Aside from these specific areas, the CNC shall focus on creating associations in suburban areas throughout the nation where Conservative policies are popular. In certain areas like President Nixon's home county of Orange in California where supposedly President Nixon and even possibly Governor Reagan could be considered "liberal", there could be potentially multiple local CNC associations.

Furthermore; the CNC shall try to elect more Conservative Republican delegates in the Nixon delegate slate and shall focus on candidate recruitment for the Republican primaries in the upcoming Senatorial and House elections and shall make it a goal to have Conservative Republican candidates for every state in the nation in 1972. While they try to influence the Nixon delegate slate, William (as of OTL) will endorse John Ashbrook and try to make him a stalking horse for a conservative campaign should Nixon falter.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #83 on: November 10, 2023, 08:14:54 PM »

Hart 1972

The Hart campaign is proud to welcome the endorsement of Tom Bradley! A former police officer and civil rights activist in Los Angeles, Councilman Bradley will join the campaign as its formal advisor on crime and urban issues.

Bradley: Let me tell you about Sam Yorty

"I ran against Mayor Yorty in 1969. I had planned to run a campaign based on substantive policy issues that affected the community. I have been a loyaly Democrat my entire life, even when many of my black brothers and sisters were turning towards more radical politics. In some ways, it isolated me from them.

When I ran against Mayor Yorty, my plan was for a campaign on the issues. I tried to talk about my plans. I expected Mayor Yorty to do the same. Instead, Mayor Yorty decided to embrace the worst this country had to offer. He labelled me a communist, a black nationalist. He said I would doom this city to be taken over by criminals. He darkened my skin in his advertisements. He preyed on the fears of many folks in Los Angeles based on nothing more than the colour of my skin.

This man makes a lot of noise about law and order, but the fact his that his version of law and order is simply 'keep black folks separate from white folks'. This man has never met a political badnwagon he won't jump on. He has never met a detractor he won't sue. And he painted me, a man who had been a police officer, as weak on lawbreakers

Unlike him, I have been a loyal Democrat my entire life; I have never endorsed Republican candidates, unlike Mayor Yorty. I never visited a Republican's election party to celebrate his victory over a Democrat, unlike Mayor Yorty. What Mayor Yorty did in 1968, aside from freely commenting on the assassination of Bobby Kennedy and acting like the law did not apply to him, was hold back his endorsement of Humphrey in exchange for a cabinet post that never came, and then file an unsuccessful lawsuit against the Los Angeles Times over a cartoon.

I urge my fellow Democrats: Beware of Nixon's Favourite Democrat."

Kuumo

P P
« Reply #84 on: November 11, 2023, 01:36:44 AM »
« Edited: November 11, 2023, 10:02:52 PM by Kuumo »

Portsmouth, New Hampshire, January 1972

We are faced with a battle for the future of this nation. We remain embroiled in never-ending war, burdened with rampant inflation, and crippled by persistent poverty. And these are only the material costs of the last few years. People have lost their sense of hope, their faith that better times are around the corner.

Throughout my career, I have stood up for the downtrodden and given voice to the voiceless. Unlike some of my opponents, I have steadfastly fought for what is right, even when the political winds blew against me. Whether for the struggle for civil rights or the senseless carnage in Vietnam, I have spoken out and taken action against injustice everywhere.

But this is only possible with the support of people like you. Democracy isn't about smoke-filled rooms and backroom deals, though many in power today would have it so. It's about rule of and for the people! So join me in taking our movement across the country, through the convention, and on to Washington!

McGovern's Appeal to the Rad/Lib Caucus

Thank you for the invitation. I would be honored to have your support.

In times like these, it's easy to fall into despair at the state of the world. Millions live without sufficient food and clean water. Unemployment and inflation rise unabated. Unrest and discontent plague our communities. The leadership in the White House seeks only to exploit this for political gain, setting neighbor against neighbor, brother against brother, all the while tearing through our taxpayer dollars for their disgraceful foreign escapade.

Trying times demand a leader of strong conviction. I didn't grow up planning to enter politics. It was only after broadening my view of the world that I was convinced to get involved. Though most of my friends and colleagues thought I was crazy, a few years of hard work from my team broke through the conservative stranglehold on my state, not by compromising our values, but by listening and speaking to the previously overlooked concerns of our neighbors.

Since the start of my career, I have worked to improve the lives of honest people less fortunate than me. In Congress and in the Kennedy Administration, I fought hunger at home and abroad through expanding food stamps and directing Food for Peace. In the Senate, I was one of the first to speak out against the Johnson Administration's escalation of the conflict in Vietnam. If elected, I will negotiate an immediate end to the war and issue an immediate pardon to those convicted of draft evasion.

I have entered the New Hampshire primary to give a choice to the people of the Granite State: a continuation of the old guard leadership of the past decade, or a chance to start anew with a fresher, bolder generation of leaders?

The future of America lies in your hands.

Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #85 on: November 11, 2023, 01:32:04 PM »

Statement Regarding Secret Service Protection and the 1972 Presidential Election
February 15, 1972

(Washington) -- Candidates for the Republican and Democratic nomination for President may apply for escort and security services with the United States Secret Service starting today. Participation in this program is voluntary and may be authorized or discontinued at any time. Candidates are instructed to file an application with Director H. Stuart Knight as soon as protection is desired.

The Secret Service is also authorized to protect spouses of major Presidential and Vice Presidential candidates, as identified by the Director, within 120 days of the general Presidential election. Some candidates may receive protection earlier in the campaign pursuant to Presidential memoranda, but this is only undertaken due to extraordinary circumstances.
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #86 on: November 11, 2023, 02:46:36 PM »

Statement from the Kennedy Campaign

Today, Campaign Manager Sargent Shriver announced that the Kennedy Campaign has filed paperwork to request Secret Service protection for both Senator Ted Kennedy (D-MA) and Mrs. Joan Kennedy. Mr. Shriver said that the request to protect both Senator Kennedy and Mrs. Kennedy "is entirely appropriate, and necessary, given the tragedies that befell both President John Kennedy and Senator Robert Kennedy" even though Senator Kennedy is not yet the Democratic nominee. As the leading candidate for the Democratic nomination, Senator Kennedy is highly visible and, due to his robust campaign schedule, often in dense public settings where advance security is appropriate.

Mr. Shriver also said that the Kennedy Campaign will continue to privately employ an additional layer of private security.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #87 on: November 11, 2023, 04:47:46 PM »
« Edited: November 11, 2023, 05:25:01 PM by Chancellor Tanterterg »

Mayor Lindsay's Speech Seeking the Rad/Lib Caucus Endorsement:

"Thank you for the invitation,  

At its best, America can be like a shining city on a hill whose light glows so bright that its glow can illuminate the path to a better future for the rest of the world.  Sadly, that glow has been growing ever dimmer in recent years and the American people know it.  More and more brave Americans are dying unnecessary deaths for a mistake in a far away land for the pride of President Nixon.  President Nixon could end the Vietnam War today if he wanted to, but instead he has shown that he lacks the courage and character to stand with our boys by bringing them home.  If elected, I pledge to you and the rest of the American people that I will end the War in Vietnam and bring our troops home.  Moreover, if these things are not accomplished, and rest assured they will be, then I will not seek reelection because any man who cannot end this war is not fit to hold the office of President.  President Nixon could end the Vietnam War today, but since he won't, rest assured that I will!

As I have said, my first act as President will be to issue a blanket pardon for all of those accused of evading the draft.  Moreover, as President, I will permanently end the draft and fight for legislation to ensure that emergency draft extensions can no longer be sought.  President Nixon promised to end the draft in 1968, but since then he has - with Congressional approval - passed a so-called emergency extension.  This emergency extension of the draft is little more than a sad, sick joke that never should've been passed by Congress in the first place.  There are those who say a volunteer army will leave us vulnerable.  To them, I say that I am confident that there are enough brave and patriotic Americans who answer the call to ensure that our military remains the most powerful in the world, so long as our leaders have their backs by never asking them to put their lives on the line unless it is truly necessary to defend our freedoms.  

However, it is not enough to end the War in Vietnam, not when so many other challenges face our country.  If elected, I will work to implement a universal healthcare program to ensure that no American ever again dies a preventable death due to the fact that they could afford basic medical treatment.  I will also increase funding for food stamps and affordable housing.  It is unconscionable that in a nation as prosperous as ours, so many families continue to go without food and shelter.  Such programs are not handouts.  They are a helping hand to less fortunate among us.  Americans who work hard every day just like the rest of us and yet through no fault of their own, haven't been able to enjoy the fruits of their labor.  

Furthermore, I am the only candidate who has come out in support of increasing the minimum wage to $2.50 an hour and chaining it to inflation, so that Americans can count on a livable wage in good and bad economic times alike.  

A Lindsay Justice Department will work tirelessly to champion the cause of civil rights.  I will fight for the passage of an Equal Rights Amendment and a Lindsay Justice Department will pursue an expansive reading of such when it is passed.  And for that matter, another thing I will do on day one as President is fire J. Edgar Hoover and replace him with someone who understands that the FBI should spend less time harassing patriotic anti-Vietnam protestors and more time going after domestic terrorist organizations like the Ku Klux Klan.  The FBI should be working to help protect the brave men and women fighting to turn the late Dr. King's dream into a reality.  Every time a civil rights activist is murdered by Ku Klux Klan terrorists, it represents a grave failure of law enforcement.  I'm not afraid of President Johnson, President Nixon, or Boss Daley and I'm not afraid of Mr. Hoover either!  For too long, politicians have quivered and quaked in their boots for fear of upsetting a man who has repeatedly proven himself to be a right-wing extremist who would rather pal around with the likes of Joe McCarthy than he would Gene McCarthy.  

My friends, this is how we turn America once more into that great, shining city on a hill.  This is my promise to you and this is the contract that I sign with America on this day.  With your help, we can create an America that will shine so bright that her glow will illuminate the havens above.  Thank you again for your time and consideration; I would be honored to receive your support!"
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #88 on: November 11, 2023, 08:30:39 PM »
« Edited: November 13, 2023, 08:53:50 AM by Chancellor Tanterterg »

Note: I did not change anything substantive, just edited to fix a grammatical typo

NBC Nightly News

John Chancellor: Joining us tonight via satellite from Waterloo, Iowa is New York City Mayor John Lindsay.  Mayor Lindsay, thank you for joining us!"  

John Lindsay: "Thank you for having me, John!"  

John Chancellor: "Mayor Lindsay, your campaign's early bid for union support has been met with more than a little skepticism.  One union leader was reportedly quoted as asking 'who the heck is John Lindsay to tell us who to vote for?'  Respectfully, how would you answer that question?"

John Lindsay: "Well, first, I would say neither I nor any other candidate has any business telling you who to vote for.  We should be working to earn your support.  But here's who I am when it comes to labor and fighting for working class Americans.  I was the first candidate to pledge to nominate a union leader as Secretary of Labor if elected.  I support chaining the minimum wage to inflation and repealing Taft-Hartley.  I support federal legislation to protect collective bargaining and I am the only candidate who has come out for raising the minimum wage to $2.50 an hour.  And as President, my door will always be open to organized labor.  So to the gentleman who asked that question, I would say this is who I am and why I hope I will be able to earn your support."

John Chancellor: "You're far from the only candidate promising to end the Vietnam War.  Respectfully, how is your commitment to end the war any different from that of Senator McGovern's or even Senator Humphrey's?"  

John Lindsay: "I think that's a fair question, John, and I think there's a very simple answer.  I am the only candidate who has pledged not to seek reelection if I fail to end the War in Vietnam and rest assured, if elected, I will end the war.  So that way there can be no doubt that I mean it when I promise you and the American people that my first priority as President will be to end the Vietnam War and bring our boys home.  I have tremendous respect for Senators McGovern and McCarthy, but I don't think even they have gone that far.  

And as for Senator Humphrey, the idea that Lyndon Johnson's right hand man...a man who supported sending our boys of to die for a mistake so long as doing so was politically convenient...with all due respect, the idea that we can trust a man like him when he now claims to oppose the Vietnam War doesn't pass the laugh test.  He was President Johnson's right hand man for a reason and worse yet, he was content to smile and wave while Boss Daley sent the Chicago police to crack the skulls of defenseless kids.  A man with even a shred of decency would have spoken out against that massacre, but not Senator Humphrey.  He wanted to become President by any means necessary and if that meant some innocent kids had to get their skulls split wide open, then that was a price Senator Humphrey was all too happy to pay so long as he got the nomination instead of Senator McCarthy.  

A man like that is simply not fit to be President, Senator, or even dog catcher.  Senator Humphrey has come to embody the shallow, craven, raw ambition that has corrupted more than a few public servants.

John Chancellor: "You don't mince words, do you?"  

John Lindsay: "Well, John, I think that after three years of President Nixon, we could all do with some straight talk.  In my experience, the American people generally find that sort of thing quite refreshing."  

John Chancellor: "I'm sure our viewers appreciate it.  Unfortunately, that's all the time we have tonight.  Thank you for joining us, Mayor Lindsay."  

John Lindsay: "Thank you for having me, John!"
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #89 on: November 11, 2023, 09:13:04 PM »

Excerpt from a speech by Mayor Lindsay to students at the University of Iowa in Iowa City, Iowa:

"We cannot afford to keep turning to the same stale politics as usual.  Men like Lyndon Johnson and Senator Humphrey tell us time after time that we should wait for real change and settle for the so-called 'lesser of two evils' again and again.  No more!  Americans are sick and tired of hearing men like Senator Humphrey tell us that the only way to win is with some go-along-to-get-along representative of the Old Guard and then acting shocked when voters aren't energized about a choice between President Nixon and someone who represents everything they hate about the Democratic establishment.

We cannot afford to nominate another man like Ted Kennedy who supports sending over 150,000 new troops to Vietnam one day and then tells us he opposes the War in Vietnam the next day depending on what is more politically popular.  A man who says he opposes the War in Vietnam, but proudly brags about being endorsed by Senator McIntyre.  A man who says he's running to put an end to the smoke-filled rooms and break up the corrupt political machines, but then pledges fealty to Boss Daley in Illinois.  The American people are sick and tired of this sort of D.C. double talk!"
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #90 on: November 11, 2023, 09:18:25 PM »

Tampa Bay, Outside the Teamsters Local 79

Reporter: Senator Humphrey, Mayor Lindsay has called you "craven" and "without a shred of decency" over Chicago '68 and the Vietnam War, do you have any comment?

Senator Humphrey: Today we're talking about working people, they're what this campaign is about. People say a lot of mean things on television, I'm focused on jobs and justice. That's what people in Florida want to hear about, that's what this great party is about. Thank you.
Senator Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #91 on: November 11, 2023, 09:47:09 PM »

Sam Yorty Campaign Strategy: Turn 2

As momentum picks up for Mayor Yorty, the campaign is putting resources to efficient use by continuing to beef campaign operations: everything from caucus turnout sophistication, to networking with county parties across the contested states, and everything in between. Advertising across TV and radio means is picking up, though still struck with a balance between that medium and other campaign priorities, to highlight areas of strength for the Mayor. Namely: the stagnant economy and suffering workers; the crime wave ignored, inflamed, or downplayed by the others; and the anti-establishment undertones, all the way from Los Angeles to making a name against Kennedy.

A heightened topic which Yorty is fully seizing is being "the candidate of Middle America." This is evidenced not only by his calls for controlling radical crime or a sensible fiscal situation, but taking a loud anti-amnesty stance and countering the pro-busing calls in contrast to his progressive rivals. Heeding the calls of Admiral Stockdale, Yorty is also beginning to flesh out his hawkish views on Vietnam more clearly on the trail (yet ceding the brunt of attention on the issue to Wallace for now): criticizing the Nixon approach to Vietnamization, reaffirming the troop presence needed on the ground, yet circling a new approach through methods including special forces operations/training and undermining the logistics of North Vietnam at every turn. During this dialogue, Yorty also hails fellow notable hawks like Scoop Jackson in an effort to bolster the pro-Vietnam wing of the party early on.

For the campaign trail, Yorty has continued to spend a majority of time building his grassroots network in New Hampshire from the ground up: unafraid to cheerfully connect with the average Joe, but relentless on the political class he views as damning the average Joe. The remaining time has been roughly balanced between canvassing Arizona, Iowa, and increasingly Illinois. Arizona and Iowa alike are targeted considerably for strong performances in this month's caucuses, though not declaring outward chances of victory in either. Yorty's support among the White and Hispanic Democrats alike in a state like Arizona are advantageous compared to many rivals, and the full political machine of Ernest McFarland is unleashed in the leadup to the caucus. With Iowa, Yorty hopes to see a regional boost in the Western part of the state (owing to his Nebraska roots), along with closely targeting groups like farmers, trade workers, and other working-to-middle class voters expected to turn out.

With other states on the horizon, Illinois is taking increased attention. With the terrorism address and the highlight of other issues touching the public's nerve, Yorty hopes to command the attention of the mass undecided vote and solidify his base there for ahead. Yorty also capitalizes on the recent perplexing comments by Muskie relating to Mayor Daley and George Wallace, tightly hugging Mayor Daley (and former President Johnson) in public while affirming his solo credentials as a verified, vote-getting bulwark against the radical left. Efforts to penetrate the early Southern caucuses (AL, GA, SC) and carve the lane as the acceptable Walalce alternative is also underway, again emphasizing the campaign operations angle for a lean machine ahead in a number of contests. The Florida primary has not captured as much direct attention yet, though Yorty through limited appearances has directly begun catering to the Scoop Jackson bloc, notably Jewish and defense-minded voters who may not prefer the other candidates as much.

On recent attacks: Isn't it interesting to see how, right after I dare call out Senator Kennedy for his flagrant hypocrisy, you have the bandwagon come after me. Senator Hart brought out Tom Bradley, the same Tom Bradley whom a certain Ted Kennedy came out to campaign for and oust me in Los Angeles. That's the spinning wheel of the establishment, ladies and gentlemen!

These efforts to paint me as some type of segregationist by sore losers are ludicrous. I was the first Mayor in Los Angeles history to fully integrate the city government within my first year, something Mr. Bradley knows well. I am also perplexed why certain candidates who 'tell the truth' like Senator Hart continue to ignore the very real problem of crime and extremism on our streets. I have dealt with it in Los Angeles, and the nation is dealing with it everywhere you look. For every leader in government who sits idly or pays lip service to these gangsters and terrorists, you are throwing regular Americans to the wolves when they strike again. It is time to hold them all accountable, and it begins with this campaign!
Kuumo

P P
« Reply #92 on: November 11, 2023, 09:51:52 PM »

McGovern Campaign Platform

Healthcare
The advent of the Medicare program was a strong first step, but millions of Americans remain uninsured. We will expand Medicare to all Americans, giving every citizen access to health insurance, as is the case in the rest of the first world.

Social Security
We need to increase the benefits of Social Security $1.50 per month and expand coverage to 3 million people with disabilities who are currently ineligible.

Minimum Wage
Americans are struggling with low wages and unemployment in this economy. As President I plan to raise the minimum wage to $3.00 per hour over the next five years with indexing to inflation.

Labor
We will repeal the Taft-Hartley Act and increase workplace protections for farm workers, factory workers, mine workers, and other key professions with dangerous working conditions. I also pledge to appoint a union leader as Secretary of Labor.

Infrastructure
For my entire career, I have worked to improve infrastructure in rural America, through my sponsorship of investments in increasing telephone and electricity access and building public works such as dams and bridges. In the White House, I will continue my work on expanding infrastructure in overlooked communities nationwide.

Environment
The establishment of the Environmental Protection Agency was a clear step forward, but there remains much to be done in protecting our remaining wild places and ensuring the safety of all neighborhoods from air and water pollution.

Civil Rights
We will continue the fight for integration in public schools and allocate additional funds to struggling school districts. As well as black Americans, American Indians have been victim to decades of racist government policies, including in my home state of South Dakota. As President, I will give these underprivileged communities the support they need to succeed.

In addition to combating racial discrimination, I support the ratification of the Equal Rights Amendment as a necessary measure against discrimination on the basis of sex.

Foreign Policy
The number one priority of my first 100 days is to end the war in Vietnam. I will get our troops home, pardon all draft evaders, and work with Congress to abolish the selective service. In addition, I hope to pursue a more peaceful and diplomatic foreign policy in other corners of the globe and find common ground with even our traditional adversaries whenever possible.

McGovern Turn 2 Campaign Strategy

McGovern spent much of the month campaigning across Iowa to secure the support of caucus-goers in the state for the anti-war delegate slate. He highlighted his longtime support for farmers since his first election to Congress and his consistent opposition to the war in Vietnam.

Council Bluffs, Iowa
In my entire career, I've stood up for farmers in our corner of the country. Even with neglect of the most import sector of the economy from administrations of both parties, I've done my part in protecting price supports, and limiting beef imports, and expanding agricultural exports around the globe. I will expand upon my work improving rural electrification and infrastructure. And when I'm President, I will appoint a farmer as Secretary of Agriculture, not someone in the pocket of agri-business megacorporations.

Before heading back to New Hampshire, McGovern stops in Madison for an event at the University of Wisconsin. As the Iowa and Arizona caucuses are underway, McGovern is back in New Hampshire, taking a somewhat more combative tone than previously.

Concord, New Hampshire
We stand at a key moment for our country. We cannot afford to compromise our principles again. We cannot afford to betray our supporters in favor of insiders who stand against the popular will. We will fight to take our country back! We will end the war in Vietnam and send our boys home! We will fight to make America a fairer nation, where anyone can live with a secure job and affordable healthcare!
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #93 on: November 12, 2023, 04:54:22 PM »

PRESS RELEASE - WALLACE FOR PRESIDENT HEADQUARTERS..

BIRMINGHAM, ALABAMA: The Wallace campaign is pleased to announce the endorsements of Congressmen Bob Sikes and Charles  Bennett ahead of the Florida primary. In a statement released today by his office in Washington, Congressman Sikes declared "Governor Wallace is the only candidate in the race who understands the necessity of a strong America. And a strong America does not only mean a strong military. It means a strong social safety net to help the poor and downtrodden. It means strong schools that prepare students for the jobs of tomorrow. It means strong programs like an expanded and efficient Social Security Administration that can better provide for our elderly and vulnerable. It means a strong and robust economy that can generate prosperity for all." Congressman Sikes, often touted as Florida's "third Senator" due to his ability to bring back large amounts of federal money, particularly from the Department of Defense, in his panhandle based congressional district.

Congressman Charles Bennett of the Jacksonville region has also thrown his weight behind the Wallace campaign, citing the Governor's opposition to busing and other policies that expand the power of the federal government over the nation's schools. Congressmen Bennett and Sikes will both campaign across Florida, particularly in the panhandle region stretching from Pensacola through Tallahassee to Jacksonville.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #94 on: November 17, 2023, 11:38:23 PM »
« Edited: November 21, 2023, 01:08:27 PM by Lumine »

Iowa and Arizona Caucus

Iowa Caucus
Candidate   Votes (%)   Delegates
Uncommitted (Anti-War)34%21
Ted Kennedy20%13
Ed Muskie16%10
Hubert Humphrey14%-
Sam Yorty9%-
George Wallace5%-
Vance Hartke2%-

Arizona Caucus
Candidate   Votes (%)   Delegates
Ted Kennedy20%7
John Lindsay20%7
Sam Yorty17%6
Hubert Humphrey16%5
Ed Muskie12%-
Philip Hart4%-
George McGovern4%-
Eugene McCarthy3%-
George Wallace2%-
Vance Hartke1%-
Shirley Chisholm<1%-

The Road to the White House

JAN. 1972 - FEB. 1972

If it hadn't been clear enough before, it was confirmed at the start of the year that the Democratic candidates for President would not play nice. With such a crowded field and a need to stand up before the key primaries passed them by, candidates made every effort to stand out, courting the media, picking cleverly designed fights, and generally going on the warpath. To the utter dismay of DNC Chair O'Brien, the bloodletting would get to such levels that, by the middle of February, many journalists - chief among them Robert Novak - speculated that it would be impossible for the party to avoid a walk out from either the anti-war left or the conservative Democrats by the time Miami rolled in.

Generally speaking, much of the early media attention was to be focused on Ted Kennedy and George Wallace due to their towering status within the party. Kennedy had gone into the offensive, using Wallace as a punching bag and fearlessly addressing race in a manner that seemingly puzzled the overwhelmingly white New Hampshire audiences, but which nonetheless endeared him to minorities and liberals who saw Wallace as the devil incarnate. Wallace fired back with a strong populist pitch, firmly making a case for himself as his numbers across the South - and crucially, in Florida - kept climbing. In a perverse way, attacking Wallace gave Kennedy a boost, and being attacked by Kennedy did much of the same for Wallace, appealing as they did to very separate audiences in the party.

THE STORM OVER ILLINOIS

While ignored by many candidates, Illinois featured substantial infighting as a primary originally dismissed as a mere sideshow due to Mayor Daley's attempt at "shock and awe" suddenly came alive. Eugene McCarthy, long dismissed as a has-been after 68', came alive with a surge of energy that reminded his old crowd of his heroic quest four years ago. Aptly choosing Mayor Daley as his nemesis, McCarthy effectively turned himself into the anti-war, anti-establishment champion of dissident Democrats in Chicago, and showing himself to be a credible potential leader for the anti-war crowd. This was seemingly vindicated by a victory in the Rad/Lib Caucus, which, while embarrasingly close due to a strong Lindsay performance, will nonetheless provide the Senator with a badly needed boost. He is, however, not alone in the state. For one, Senator Muskie proved less polarizing there than in NH, bleeding moderates while gaining a surprising number of college students to his quest.

Enter, of course, Saigon Sam. Cleverly picking up on the opening created early in the year by the race of most candidates towards the political left, Yorty has been making a strong play for conservative Democrats, finding and attracting support in non-Dixie areas - the South vastly preferring their native son - even from unexpected supporters. With candidates like Muskie and Lindsay repeatedly trashing former President Johnson's record on Vietnam - to great anti-war and student acclaim -, Yorty's spirited defense of the President has even brought voters who'd normally be queasy with his harsh views on side, worried as they are with the apparent leftwards turn of the party. Symbolic of this would be Yorty's "Raging Storm" speech, which seemingly captured the public mood of thousands of conservative Democrats fed up with violence and fed up with Washington.

NEW HAMPSHIRE: GROUND ZERO

Nowhere was more symbolic of - as the National Review put it - the "great leftwards turn" that the state of New Hampshire, whose presidential primary has descended into sheer bedlam and/or chaos. Over the course of the past few weeks, residents have been witness to anti-Muskie and anti-Kennedy billboards plastered all across the state, as well as ever more outspoken performances from the crowded anti-war field. Many observers have concluded that, while not expecting or necessating a win, at least one or two anti-war candidates could well stumble out of the state with enough support to be credible challengers for the nomination. Unlike in 68', where disaffected Democrats could simply go to Gene McCarthy, this time they have the challenge to decide between Muskie, Lindsay, McGovern, Hart, and most recently, Vance Hartke.

And all of them have something to show for it. Though undermined by a defeat in the Rad/Lib caucus and losing ground, George McGovern continues to inspire a loyalist core desperate for someone to believe in. Muskie, while rapidly collapsing in the national polls, is still strong enough to block many of his would-be challengers. Hartke, a new entry into the race, has impressed many with his spirited effort. Hart, previously unknown, made a splash with a Rolling Stone interview; and both Hartke and Hart are seeing a surge among voters disgusted at the scorched earth tactics deployed thus far. And, in Hart's case, an effective deployment of one of his endorsers made the first significant impact on Sam Yorty, showing Hart to be a potential underdog should he survive New Hampshire. But ultimately, it is Mayor Lindsay who has grabbed the attention. Having surprised at the Rad/Lib Caucus with a strong second, the caucus has endorsed him in NH due to McCarthy's absence from the ballot, and a combination of truly radical planks and effective organization have given him outsized visibility.

PRELUDE TO A STORM

With so many moving parts, journalists have started to struggle in trying to get a greater picture of the whole primary, particularly as the early primaries feature diverging matches. This has even led normally high-profile candidates flying below the radar, with Vice President Humphrey avoiding much of the season's sheer drama. Although bogged down by ceaseless disruption of his campaign events, first by anti-war activists, and now by anti-busing activists in Florida, the Vice President has seen his favorables climb - his polling numbers not so much - simply by virtue of not being yet turned into radioactive waste like Muskie or Kennedy. While increasingly behind Wallace, Humphrey has leapfrogged ahead of Kennedy in Florida, and even seen off a marked decline in Mayor Lindsay's polling numbers in the state as the Mayor's campaign is seemingly overstretched.

Perhaps uncomfortably so for many candidates, busing has quickly gained prominance and salience as a key issue in the Democratic primary, the visceral anti-busing backlash among many traditional Democratic constituencies - as opposed to its fierce support by liberals and some minorities - has created important fault lines. Mayor Yorty in particular was to substantially raise his profile by going after Senator Kennedy on the apparent hypocrisy of sending his kids to private school while championing busing, with Kennedy's subsequent response judged "lackluster" and giving Yorty much needed visibility in the media. It had, undoubtedly, already been an ugly prelude to the first contests. It was about to get worse.

THE GHOSTS OF CHAPPAQUIDDICK

To this point, of course, Kennedy had given as good as he got, more than holding his ground as a frontrunner - and even starting to leave Muskie behind - despite sustaining some important wounds.

But his oponents were not willing to stop at a few barbs. It was time for scored earth, Verdun-style fighting.

The first bombshell was dropped by the Manchester Union Leader, which, after confirming its endorsement of Mayor Yorty as "the only sane Democrat" in a race seemingly dominated by the drive of the field to out-radical each other; published a sensational story. In a multiple-page exposé, the Union Leader produced a never before seen "post mortem report" on the death of Mary Jo Kopechne, alleging that it had been rejected by the official inquest. In it, it was claimed that Senator Kennedy's story was inconsistent, and worse still, that evidence suggested that Ms. Kopechne had survived for several hours in an air pocket within the car before suffocating to death. The diver that pulled Kopechne's body out of the water, John Farrar, was also quoted as a witness convinced that Kennedy had lied and all but abandoned her to die, with local undertaker Gene Frieh, stating that such a theory was indeed plausible.

That was not all. Aside from a salacious bit in which it was asserted that, while asked for comment, a Kennedy spokesman told the Manchester Union to "go to hell", the newspaper printed that the information had been given to them through anonymous means, the envelope with the information was linked to a Muskie campaign office, raising the question of whether Senator Muskie had planted the story to go after his rival. And hell broke loose. Soon, the entire state was filled with billboards attacking Kennedy as a murderer, and in a highly publicized and emotional TV ad by the Yorty campaign, the parents of Mary Jo Kopechne - who nonetheless publicly declined to endorse the Mayor - went after Kennedy for his lack of remorse, refusal to apologize to them, and questioning his version of events.

The Kennedy campaign was therefore forced to defend itself from daily attacks on the incident, a factor which many link to the Senator's underwhelming performance in Iowa and Arizona. Although members of the original inquest have already come forward disavowing the post mortem report as a potential forgery, the Kennedy machine faces the ultimate make or break moment: their response to this ruthless offensive may well decide the fate of their campaign. But it is not just Kennedy to has been hurt by the whole affair. The revelation that the Muskie campaign may have been behind the leak has seemingly exhausted the patience of moderate and establishment Democrats, who have taken to deriding the Senator for running a "kamikaze campaign". As they start to defect to alternatives like Vice President Humphrey, the Democrat civil war in New Hampshire has reached intolerable levels, resulting in a joint effort by most Democratic officeholders to "stop Muskie" before it is too late.

IOWA AND ARIZONA

Amidst this chaos, and for the first time in the primary cycle, the first two contests were held. Unlike primaries, characterized by large participation, caucuses were low-turnout affairs, often dominated by establishment machines and, under the new system, with the potential for activist groups to make their mark. On the other hand, it also meant candidates with limited support tended to drop off in the final score as participants consolidaed behind other candidates, giving an impression of there being less support for them than there actually was.

The Iowa caucus, despite being the first such contest, lacked any attention by the media, with speculation mostly addressing the Muskie-Kennedy duel and whether the so-called "anti-war" slate would break 15%. Predictions were wide off the mark. Anti-war activists - with special visibility for McGovern and Lindsay - stormed the state and proceeded to steamroll over the local establishment, winning an unexpected victory as the establishment and/or conservative supporters suffered from division - the same that threatens to ruin the anti-war left in NH - and/or substantially low turnout. For the first time, the anti-war candidatesgot serious headlines, suggesting to many that something important was in progress.

The story was repeated in Arizona. Although the full impact of the Chappaquiddick revelations is yet to be felt, Kennedy and Muskie's underwhelming Iowa performance was repeated, allowing lesser known candidates to take the spotlight. From the right, Mayor Yorty surprised many by eating into the Wallace supporters and achieving strong results in both states. From the left, it was Mayor Lindsay who stole the media's attention with a highly organized effort, consolidating enough anti-war support to tie with Senator Kennedy in a result so close that it remained unclear whether Ted Kennedy had indeed won the caucus. As Muskie declines and Humphrey shows resilience - but not enthusiasm -, Lindsay and Yorty have won important attention on the eve of the New Hampshire duel.

THE AFTERMATH

For the anti-war wing of the Democratic Party, an important victory has been achieved, sending quite a few shockwaves across the political spectrum. While this in turn gives them hope of victory and a much needed boost of confidence, it also creates an opposite reaction of its own. DNC Chairman O'Brien, already panicking by the mutual destruction of Kennedy and Muskie, has reportedly gone ballistic, with several key powerbrokers in the party starting to speak of mobilizing support to "stop the radicals" before it is too late. By all accounts, some anti-war Democrat seems more likely to win New Hampshire than not now, but these heightened expectations could yet let them down as Hartke, Hart, Lindsay, McGovern and arguably Muskie eat each other's support.

And, for Sam Yorty and John Lindsay, it also means that there's a new spotlight above them. Whether they can weather the scrutiny and pressure that is sure to come, remains very much to be seen.

Stories from the Campaign Trail

CNC a success, Rockefeller rebukes Buckley
"It was a packed scene in New York City last month as Senator James Buckley, one of the Senate's most prominent conservatives, announced the formation of the Conservative National Committee, or CNC, an organization committed to the promotion of "constitution conservative" values and the conservative grassroots themselves within the Republican Party. Despite some derision in the press for launching the CNC in an area it does not purport to focus on, Buckley's launch was considered a success, with a small number of legislators expressing support for the CNC. It remains to be seen, however, how the organization will affect primaries later in the year. More pressingly, with Buckley's brother - and prominent conservative - William F. Buckley endorsing the insurgent campaign of Representative Ashbrook in New Hampshire, the CNC may soon face a very awkward question on whether they support President Nixon in the primary or not.

New York Governor Nelson Rockefeller, the unofficial leader of liberal Republicans across the nation, and a local foe of Buckley since his own insurgent victory in 1970, has condemned the formation of the CNC, warning that an embrace of "radical ideas" could see the GOP experience a future 1964-style wipeout..."

Labor to Lindsay: drop dead
"Amidst steady growth in polling and surprise upsets in the first two caucuses, Mayor Lindsay had first encountered meaningful resistance among LBJ loyalists, a challenge sure to hurt him among the Democratic establishment but not as likely to matter with the voters. Today, as Lindsay's visibility grows, so does the backlash among labor leaders, many of whom have come out to express their doubts and/or criticism of the Mayor. Among other elements, media interview after interview has seen labor titans - including some in NYC itself - deride Lindsay for his controversial record as Mayor, as well as his "neglect" of the city and his persistent attacks on Vice President Humphrey. Others have seized upon the Mayor's radical platform, with one anonymous - but high ranking - labor leader in Florida stating that "Lindsay's radical fairly tale views are simply out of touch with those of our members.

For their part, a number of minority leaders in NYC were quick to respond, championing Lindsay's record for their communities..."

Mississippi Democrats in Civil War
"Ever since 1964, the Mississippi Democratic Party has faced open civil war between two seemingly irreconciliable sides: the so-called "Loyalist Democrats", who represent the youth, African Americans, and the more liberal side of the party; and the so-called "Regulars", the traditional and conservative faction of the party persistently denounced by the Loyalists by being pro-segregation in the past and by seemingly clinging to those views. The 1964 and 1968 DNC already saw the state sending rival delegations to the Convention, with the Loyalists achieving a key victory in 1968 by having the Regular slate unseated. Despite efforts by the recently sworn-in Governor, Bill Waller - himself a moderate -, neither the Loyalists (unoficially led by NAACP state leader Aaron Henry) nor the Regulars (unoficially led by the outgoing Governor, segregationist John Bell Williams) have been able to reach a compromise.

As things stand, the Mississippi caucuses - set to be held on February 27th - will likely see two separate elections taking place, creating an awkward dilemma for candidates who wish to participate..."
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #95 on: November 20, 2023, 08:46:47 PM »

Stage Three
Mass Burial in New Hampshire
Mid February - Early March 1972

GALLUP POLL: President Nixon's Approval Rating

Approve: 52%
Disapprove: 38%
Undecided: 10%

POLLING RANGE: Democratic Nomination

Hubert Humphrey: 22-25%
Ted Kennedy: 21-25%
Ed Muskie: 15-18%
John Lindsay: 11-14%
George Wallace: 10-12%
Sam Yorty: 6-8%
Eugene McCarthy: 5-7%
Philip Hart: 4-6%
George McGovern: 4-5%
Vance Hartke: 1-3%
Shirley Chisholm: 1-2%
Other: 0-1%

POLLING RANGE: New Hampshire Primary

Ted Kennedy: 24-28%
Ed Muskie: 20-22%
John Lindsay: 15-18%
Sam Yorty: 12-15%
George McGovern: 10-13%
Philip Hart: 9-12%
Vance Hartke: 7-10%
Undecided: 3-5%

POLLING RANGE: Florida Primary

George Wallace: 27-32%
Hubert Humphrey: 20-25%
Ted Kennedy: 17-22%
John Lindsay: 9-10%
George McGovern: 4-6%
Sam Yorty: 2-3%
Philip Hart: 2-3%
Shirley Chisholm: 1-2%
Undecided: 18-25%

POLLING RANGE: Illinois Primary

Uncommitted: 30-32%
Eugene McCarthy: 24-28%
Ed Muskie: 23-27%
Sam Yorty: 9-12%
Shirley Chisholm: 2-5%
Undecided: 12-20%

In the News

Hanoi says No to Nixon
Le Duc Tho rejects latest peace proposal by the US, citing lack of assurances,
Vietnamese delegation storms out of Paris Peace Talks in response to ongoing bombing,
With eight months to go until the election, no end in sight for Vietnam

Nixon goes to China!
President Nixon to start historic trip on February 17th, to land in Shanghai,
Nixon expected to meet with Chairman Mao in weekly turn that could see major strategic shift,
Can the Administration ensure that the visit turns into a firm success?

All Eyes on New Hampshire
Democratic establishment keen to stop the left in primary,
McCloskey and Ashbrook fight enormous odds to wound Nixon,
Kennedy and Muskie locked in beyond ferocious infighting

Heath's Gamble
British Prime Minister rams EEC entry through the House of Commons,
Amidst great opposition, unofficial vote of confidence passes by only eight votes,
Labour badly split by measure, anti-marketeers battle Jenkins' pro-Europeans

Death penalty off in California
In 6-1 decision, Supreme Court of California strikes down death penalty,
Ruling in People v. Anderson determines the penalty violates the State Constitution,
107 death sentences immediately commuted to life imprisonment
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #96 on: November 20, 2023, 09:19:53 PM »

Turn Overview

For the purposes of this turn, which is meant to cover a nebulous period between mid February and early March 1972, we will cover the New Hampshire Primary and the Mississippi Caucus. Filing for the NH, FL and IL primaries was closed last turn. This turn and the next, you will get to be able to file in for the Wisconsin (April 4), Pennsylvania (April 25) and Massachusetts (April 25) primaries. I ask those who already filed in for WI to do so again to keep better track.

You will also have a debate for the NH candidates.

This is expected to run for six days, until Sunday midnight.

Special Event: Mississippi Caucus

As noted in the last update, the Mississippi Democratic Party is badly split, and will hold two separate caucuses in this turn. One of them, directed by the "Loyalists", has support from the NAACP, young voters, and liberals. The other, led by the "Regulars", represents the conservatives, pro-segregationist, and traditional Democrats. Candidates must decide whether to participate in the caucuses, and which of the two - you can't do both - to participate in. Your decision will have consecuences - good and bad - down the line.

Endorsers for Turn 2

Ted Kennedy: Lloyd Bentsen, Tip O'Neill
Hubert Humphrey: Lawton Chiles, Frank Sinatra
Ed Muskie: -
George Wallace: Bob Sikes, Charles Bennett
John Lindsay: Harold Hughes, Claude Pepper, Rad/Lib Caucus (NH)
George McGovern: Robert Kastenmeier
Sam Yorty: William Loeb (Manchester Union Leader)
Eugene McCarthy: Jesse Jackson, Curtis Mayfield, Rad/Lib Caucus (National)
Philip Hart: Tom Bradley
Shirley Chisholm: Bella Abzug, Patsy Mink
Vance Hartke: Vietnam Veterans Against the War, American Veterans Committee

Player Dilemmas

George Wallace
By the looks of it, it's going well in Dixie, and Florida too despite the fierce competition. At yet, a problem has emerged in the horizon courtesy of one "Saigon" Sam Yorty, whose unexpectedly strong effort seems to be attracting conservative Democrats in the North who'd be otherwise amenable to some of your stances. Of course, Yorty could always crash and burn in New Hampshire, and he could be useful in securing more delegates up north... but can you afford a potential rival in the conservative lane?

Hubert Humphrey
As Muskie and Kennedy continue to tear each other apart, the first polls showing you into the lead have begun to emerge. Although whoever wins New Hampshire will get a decisive boost and emerge as a clear rival, staying out of the primary may have been for the best. And yet it's not perfect news. You're being hounded all across Florida by two separate groups: college students denouncing you as a murderer for your legacy on Vietnam; and perhaps more novel, anti-busing groups denouncing your stance on the issue. Will you ignore these groups?

Sam Yorty
Undoubtedly, the campaign has evolved into less of a quixotic big and into more of a long - still very long - shot. And yet Loeb is on your side, and the effects brutal anti-Kennedy ad remain to be seen. It is, however, unmistakeable that you're still somehwere between fourth and fifth in New Hampshire, and having made such a show of it, that's no real ticket out of the state. Can Saigon Sam do the impossible, and show the anti-war left how its done?

Ted Kennedy
There is no way around it: your colleagues have declared war. Whether it is only Muskie, Lindsay or Yorty, or someone else, it's unclear, but your name has been dragged through the mud across New Hampshire, making it impossible to go anywhere without hearing about Chappaquiddick. Your staff is utterly torn. Some would have you weather the storm and keep the campaign on the issues, confident that, should you survive New Hampshire, many of these vultures will fade away. For others, it's make or break, and it's time to come down swinging. What will you do?

The NH Anti War Field (McGovern, Lindsay, Hartke, Hart)
This is it, Senators (and Mayor). This is truly it. One way or the other, all of you have shown an ability to capture voters despite your competing personalities, putting you all within some sight of the first three places depending on how wrong the polls are. On the other hand, you all also very much compete for the same voters, and it's impossible for four anti-war candidates to make it all the way to Miami. Thus, it's make or break, with Lindsay ahead of the pack. The question therefore is: what to do? Consolidate? Go scorched earth? Keep the unofficial peace and hope for the best?

Eugene McCarthy and Shirley Chisholm
By not competing in New Hampshire you have avoided much of the worst infighting, though it remains to be seen whether it was truly wise to allow someone else from your wing of the party to triumph there. For now, Illinois looks promising as Mayor Daley shows his first true signs of vulnerability, creating the prospect of an upset for the left in a vital state. And yet the disadvantage shows. You may have the enthusiatic volunteers and the college kids, but Daley has the money, and without it you may not find yourselves ever leaving Illinois. Can you find ways to raise funds, or will guerrilla campaigning have to do?

Ed Muskie
The hour has come, "Big Ed". You've drawn serious blood on Kennedy, but at the cost of shedding much support yourself and tearing the party apart in New Hampshire. And yet there must be a method to the carnage, for you're still in position to win. And if you can keep the other anti-war men contained while beating the heir to Camelot... the sky may truly be the limit. On the other hand, there are those who advocate a lower profile, to survive New Hampshire and focus elsewhere. The choice is yours, but what will you do?

Henry Kissinger
Herr Doctor speaks, and Nixon listens. Or most of the time anyway, as one of your suggestions concerning President Thieu causes Nixon to look at you like Jane Fonda. The Vietnamese remain elusive and unwilling to cede ground, but the priority is your China tour with the President, a truly historic opportunity. Much of the groundwork has been prepared, but there are always eventualites. What will you be recommending the President in his talks with Mao? How much should you try to get from the Chinese?

James Buckley
You've made some waves, Senator! Rocky is not the least bit pleased, but it seems the makings of a future "peasant's revolt" in the Republican Party - perhaps not in 76', but maybe in 80' - could be there. Launching the CNC so early has had one drawback, though. The New Hampshire Primary beckons, and Ashbrook is pressuring the CNC to endorse in order to ensure the President gets the message that he can't take conservatives for granted. On the other hand, to endorse Nixon would likely ensure the collapse of Ashbrook's insurgent effort and give you much credibility with the White House, at the cost of curtailing some of the CNC's early influence. What will it be?

H. R. Haldeman
The President's pleased, Bob. More pleased than you've seen him in a while. Maybe it's the China tour. Maybe it's seeing Ted Kennedy being put through the wringer by his own pals. Maybe it's just the coming of spiring. Whatever it is, he says keep up the good work. The only problem really is New Hampshire. You may think McCloskey is a peacenik loon and Ashbrook a Bircher loon, but combined they could drag the boss down. And too embarassing a performance could see the boss go the way of LBJ. What's next for the gatekeeper?
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #97 on: November 20, 2023, 09:47:12 PM »

Statement from the Humphrey Campaign

Senator Hubert H. Humphrey (D-MN) will be filing for the Wisconsin and Pennsylvania primaries, to demonstrate his ability as a candidate to perform strongly across all sections of the manifold New Deal Democratic majority, especially among labor unions, the backbone of the Democratic Party.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #98 on: November 20, 2023, 10:09:20 PM »
« Edited: November 20, 2023, 10:51:01 PM by Chancellor Tanterterg »

The Lindsay campaign will be filing in the Mississippi Loyalist Caucus and the Wisconsin, Pennsylvania, and Massachusetts primaries.
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #99 on: November 20, 2023, 10:27:16 PM »

Statement by the Kennedy Campaign

Today, Campaign Manager Sargent Shriver released the following statement, following Senator Ted Kennedy’s victories in the Iowa and Arizona Caucuses:

“Senator Kennedy proved today why he is the leading contender for the Democratic nomination for President. Despite ruthless smear campaigns by both the left and right wings of his own party, Senator Kennedy triumphed in the first two electoral tests - neither of which the campaign devoted significant resources to. No other candidate has as many delegates secured as Senator Kennedy, showing that his appeal is nationwide, from urban centers to rural farm land and everything in between. As the primary season progresses, we are confident Senator Kennedy will be competitive in every contest and secure the Democratic nomination with the backing of the American people.”

Mr. Shriver also announced that Senator Kennedy will be contesting the Mississippi Loyalist Caucus, as well as the Wisconsin, Pennsylvania, and Massachusetts primaries.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies