Fear and Loathing in Nixonland (Gameplay Thread)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 09:28:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  Fear and Loathing in Nixonland (Gameplay Thread)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9
Author Topic: Fear and Loathing in Nixonland (Gameplay Thread)  (Read 13177 times)
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -4.78

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2023, 02:05:03 PM »

Mike Anderson: And we're back. Joining us today is presidential candidate Edmund Muskie, who's here to chat about the Democratic presidential primaries. We've got a heated race here in New Hampshire, with both Muskie and Ted Kennedy throwing their hats into the ring. Welcome, Mr. Muskie. Thanks for being here.
Muskie: You're welcome
Mike Anderson: So, let's dive right into it. Why should the people of New Hampshire and the nation as a whole vote for you for president?
Muskie: Well Mike, that's a great question. You see, Nixon made promises about ending the Vietnam War, but he didn't deliver. We've been let down, deceived, and every day, American lives are lost in a seemingly endless conflict. This war needs to end now. On top of that, we're facing a slew of problems right here at home. The crime rates are skyrocketing, just take a stroll through New York City, and you'll see what I mean. Our economy is struggling, poverty is on the rise, and some folks are turning to drugs just to make ends meet. It's clear that Nixon is losing control of the situation. We should be addressing these pressing domestic issues rather than pouring resources into Vietnam.
Mike Anderson: Those are certainly critical issues, Mr. Muskie. Now, tell us, why should the voters prefer you over the other Democratic candidates in the race?
Muskie: Good question. The American people need a leader they can trust in the White House, someone who can provide strong and moral leadership. I genuinely believe in the potential of the United States to have a morally upright leader. As for my opponent, Ted Kennedy, the events at Chappaquiddick have raised serious doubts. How can we expect a man who can't even take care of himself, his aide, and his car to run a nation? Well that's the million dollar question, Mike. Leading a nation isn't for the faint-hearted, and i'd rather want us to win the race to the White House in november. I honestly don't see the electability in his campaign. He should reconsider his position and drop out.
Mike Anderson: Strong points, Mr. Muskie. Now, let's get to the heart of the matter. How do you plan to differentiate yourself from Ted Kennedy and win over voters in this primary? What's your strategy to come out on top?
Muskie: Well, it's all about demonstrating trustworthiness and leadership. I'm going to continue addressing the key issues that matter most to the American people, showing them that I can be the kind of leader they can rely on. Unlike my opponent, I believe in putting the needs of the country first and ensuring that our moral compass remains intact. As for Ted Kennedy, his actions have already cast a shadow of doubt. It's clear that his campaign is lacking the moral leadership this nation deserves.
Mike Anderson: Thanks, Mr. Muskie. It's clear that the race is heating up, and the voters have a lot to think about. We appreciate you taking the time to share your views with us today. We look forward to seeing how this primary unfolds.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2023, 03:51:23 PM »
« Edited: November 22, 2023, 04:40:03 PM by KaiserDave »

Statement from the Humphrey Campaign

Senator Hubert H. Humphrey (D-MN), candidate for President, has announced the national leadership of his primary campaign.

Campaign Chairman: Senator Walter Mondale (D-MN)
Campaign Co-Chair: Mayor Kevin White (D-MA)
Campaign Manager: Lawrence J. Hayes
Chief Strategist: Jack L. Chestnut
Senior Advisor: Max Kampelman
Press Secretary: Daniel R. Hackel

Senator Humphrey particularly welcomes his close friend and colleague Walter Mondale onto the campaign as Chairman, and Mayor of Boston Kevin White as co-chair. Both men are strong Democratic leaders who represent the party well in their respective constituencies. Senator Humphrey's campaign is a truly national campaign that seeks to unite all Democrats behind a common cause.

Statement of Principles

The following is an official statement of the Senator's principles demonstrating the vision of Senator Humphrey for the United States, as a nation of opportunity, compassion, and decent content living for all people.

On Jobs: Over five million unemployed Americans need work -- not unemployment compensation, not endless training, not welfare. That's why I've proposed one million community development jobs, retraining of highly skilled unemployed, a national domestic development bank, urban revitalization and greater private investment opportunities to create jobs.

On Tax Reform: The time has come for tax justice. We must say to the super rich, big business and the bankers: you must pay your fair share, you cannot have it all. We must close the loopholes and reform income and payroll taxes. We must relieve the heavy property tax burden from the farmer and the home owner.

On Healthcare: There are 40 million Americans without health insurance. This is unacceptable, un-American, and unconscionable. For this reason I propose a program of national health insurance, to be funded by payroll taxes and general revenues.

On Cost of Living: Republican price controls are a failure. Food, medical costs, appliance repairs, car and transportation costs are going up. We need a fair control system to protect the consumer. Price violators must be prosecuted.

On Peace: Our military involvement in Southeast Asia should be terminated at once. It's time for total military withdrawal and to obtain a peace agreement to bring POWs and MIAs home. We also must reduce sharply our American military installations overseas. I further propose expanding the G.I. Bill for Vietnam veterans.

On Civil and Human Rights: We can only move forward as one people of equal citizens, not as a nation divided into first and second class citizens. We cannot turn back the clock on such civil rights as voting and equal employment and housing opportunities. We must realize the dream of Dr. King, where individuals can live happily on their merits, and not be hampered by either base violent prejudices or laws shaped by discrimination.

On Labor: The working men and women of America are the backbone of the American economy, free and independent labor organizations are a centerpiece of freedom and American life. I will do all I can for the rights of labor, including appoint a man or woman of labor to the Labor Department, and seek the repeal and replacement of Taft-Hartley with a more balanced labor relations law. I further propose increasing the minimum wage and tying it to inflation.

On Women and Families: The women of America are entitled to a decent living and equal opportunity. For this reason I propose appointing more women to the federal bureaucracy, the passage of the Equal Rights Amendment, and a new government program to support families specifically on providing low-cost childcare for working mothers.  

On Consumers: America's consumers have had a raw deal, what with inflation, price gouging, and dishonest business practices. I propose the creation of an independent government agency for the protection of consumers.

On Youth: We must bring the youth of America into the mainstream of politics and government. As President I will create an office of youth affairs with a cabinet-level chairman to bring youth into government. I have proposed a new national service corps Americans For Domestic Development.

On the Elderly: The older men and women of America deserve dignity, respect, and happiness in their twilight years. Nixon's inflation has reduced the value of social security payments, for this reason I propose a 25% rise in benefits.

On Environment: Every American has a right to clean air, pure water and unravaged land. Environmental protection takes strong government enforcement and commitment from industry and consumer. The choice is not pollution or progress. We can have planned and controlled growth.

On Education: Quality education means integrated education, modern facilities, increased Federal spending to cover at least one-third of state costs, equalization of state spending among school districts, a Federal educational trust fund and local democratic control of school standards.

On America in the World: America must continue to be a beacon of freedom and opportunity for the world to all people oppressed by totalitarianism, not only by providing an inspiring model of domestic prosperity and justice, but by seeking peace and cooperation across the world, as well as supporting our allies, especially the State of Israel.

On Farm Income: The American farmer has suffered long enough. We need a return to supply-management type farm commodity programs: a program of national reserve inventories for crops; legislation to strengthen the farmer's bargaining power in the market place and adequate farm credit.

On Crime and Drug Abuse: We must fight the enemy within -- crime and drug traffic. I've proposed a five-point drug cure and control program. We need court and prison reforms, well-equipped police departments, insurance for firemen and policemen and Federal penalties for killing law enforcement officers.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2023, 05:57:26 PM »

Hart 1972

To a crowd in Detroit, Senator Phillip Aloysius Hart, war hero and Conscience of the Senate, announced he would be entering the race for president.

"Thank you all for coming here today.

Ladies and Gentlemen, this country is gripped by a cynicism. There's a lot of people out here tonight who perhaps don't intend to vote next year because they feel that none of the candidates represent them. They feel like politicians have perhaps rejected the ideals and principles that once endeared them to the people of this nation.

But our principles define who we are. As Alfred Adler said, it is easier to fight for our principles than stand by them. But those principles define who we are; those basic human values of honesty and integrity define who we are. It is a sad indictment on our society that people believe thse days that our politicians, the very men and women who should be embodying these ideals, do not lead this nation in the ways our principles demand.

Our poor and black communities, rural and urban, have been neglected and left to rot since 1968. It is time that we recommitted ourselves to that fight. The fight to end poverty in America, the fight against prejudice in America, the fight for unity in America. It's a fight that belongs to this whole nation.

My friends, I am not saying that this will be an easy fight, but it is a fight we must win. I remember thinking the same thing when I landed on Utah Beach nearly thirty years ago, and we won that fight. Today, I am announcing my candidacy for President of the United States of America.

We will end the war in Vietnam. We will step up our fight against poverty. We will create a nation where all men and women are created equal in the eyes of the law. We will restore the ideals of this nation that have been so ruthlessly torn apart in the name of winning votes!

I ask you to join me on this journey. Thank you, and I look forward to seeing you on the trail."
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2023, 06:04:02 PM »

Statement from the Kennedy Campaign

Today, Senator Ted Kennedy (D-MA) announced the hiring of several senior staff.

Campaign Manager: Sargent Shriver
Chief Strategist: Stephen Edward Smith
Senior Advisor: Paul Kirk
Press Secretary: Frank Mankiewicz

Senator Kennedy also announced the endorsement of Senator Thomas J. McIntyre (D-NH). Senator McIntyre will serve as a senior surrogate for the Kennedy Campaign and make appearances on behalf of Senator Kennedy in New Hampshire.
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2023, 06:09:03 PM »
« Edited: November 02, 2023, 06:15:11 PM by At-Large Senator DKrol »

Remark Made by Senator Kennedy
Made outside a union hall in Concord, New Hampshire

I'm glad to see Senator Humphrey endorse my AmeriCare plan, almost to the letter, and my fair wage and environmental policies. I hope he'll endorse my campaign, since he endorsed my policies. I'd be happy to have him join me on the campaign trail next time he wants to do that.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2023, 08:22:31 AM »
« Edited: November 03, 2023, 10:07:36 AM by Chancellor Tanterterg »

Remark Made by Mayor Lindsay
Comment to local news reporters after a campaign rally in Nashua, New Hampshire

It has been fascinating to see Senator Humphrey endorsing the policies of Senator Muskie, Senator Kennedy, and I on the environment, civil rights, women's rights, and healthcare even as he claims to be uniquely qualified to confront the challenges facing America.  While I was also pleased to see Senator Humphrey declare his support for my labor policies and echo my call for an end to the War in Vietnam, I share Senator Kennedy's confusion about why a man who claims to agree with everything his opponents stand for is running for President.  I suppose this is what happens when yesterday's man wants to present voters with a vision for the future: he looks at the leaders of tomorrow and tries to pass off their ideas as his own.
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2023, 09:22:20 AM »

The Yorty campaign shall file for the New Hampshire, Florida, and Illinois primaries. The spirit of democracy should be unabridged from heavy-handed dealmaking, and Mayor Yorty shall attempt to reach out to more voters across the nation and offer a clear choice where there otherwise is none.  This is especially paramount in Illinois, where the risk of the radical wing claiming a victory or mandate is high and must be fervorously contained.
Mycool

Political Matrix
E: -4.58, S: -6.52

« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2023, 10:10:44 AM »
« Edited: November 03, 2023, 12:47:28 PM by Mycool »

Shirley Chisholm: Unbought and Unbossed

Source

Campaign Platform

Economy: It's past time we raise the minimum wage. Beyond this, we need to extend it to domestic workers who have been left behind by our system.

Poverty: In the most prosperous country in the world, no baby should go hungry. I'm proposing a "food stamps" program for pregnant women, breastfeeding women, and their children. This program would give food, formula, education, access to healthcare, and support to breastfeeding mothers. Additionally, we will pass legislation I co-sponsored with Congresswoman Bella Abzug which would provide $10 billion in federal funding for childcare, so no mother has to worry about whether she can afford childcare.

Vietnam: I opposed this war from the start. It's time we get our troops back home and end this disaster. I propose clemency for draft dodgers who had good reason to oppose such a war in the first place. We need to focus our attention on domestic issues in order to revive the American Dream. The draft should be ended and replaced with an all-voluntary military service.

Women's Rights: Pass the Equal Rights Amendment now! It's a hallmark of an equitable society to have codified protection for women. This will ensure discrimination is not accepted in the United States. My office in Congress has been made up of all women, and my campaign staff will be at least 50% women.

Education: The only way to desegregate our schools is through busing. Opposition to this should be seen as what it is, racist and promoting the status quo. Found a Department of Education to oversee the schools in this country and make sure they are up to standards befitting this great nation.

Healthcare: A government-run insurance program seems like the best way to achieve universal healthcare, a goal for a Chisholm administration. Do what Democrats have sought to do by expanding health insurance to the poor and reserving more spending for healthcare nationally.

Voting: Expand the Voting Rights Act to protect bilingual ballots in areas where voters may not speak English. Our nation is greatest when we celebrate diversity, and this step prevents discrimination based on nation of birth or ethnicity. By next election we should have binding primaries in all 50 states, ensuring democratic elections of our Presidential candidates.

Labor: Democrats are the party of labor. Ending Taft-Hartley should be a day-one priority of the next Democratic President. Work with labor leaders to desegregate the labor force, providing equal protection from predatory business practices.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2023, 10:11:56 AM »

Remark Made by Senator Muskie
Comment to local news reporters informing the senator over the series of attacks on Humphrey in Concord, New Hampshire

Well it makes a lot of sense that - we Democrats - will share a similar platform. I just question his credibility on some of those, most importantly his position on Vietnam. He was the most ardent advocate of LBJ's administration Vietnam policy, i wouldn't believe his word on what he says on Vietnam. You know, the fact of the matter, still is that Humphrey did lose to Nixon in 1968, and that is a troubling sign if our opponent next year will again be Nixon. We need to do that with the best candidate possible. Nixon didn't keep his word on Vietnam, but so did Humphrey. He got rejected four years ago exactly because of Vietnam. It would be an awful choice to nominate senator Humphrey again. He's a loyal and good friend, otherwise, i wouldn't have agreed to be his VP candidate in 1968 but we need to be aware that we have an election next year and that there's someone to defeat if we want to prevent the nation to be plummeted to chaos.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2023, 10:42:34 AM »

Announcement in Concord, New Hampshire

I'm disappointed to see that Ted Kennedy accepted an endorsement of one of the most ardent advocates of the Vietnam war, which conflicts with his so-called "pro-peace" platform. In 1968, the incumbent president Lyndon B. Johnson was humiliated because of his Vietnam policies and the Vietnam war effort after the strong showing of Eugene McCarthy. Some democratic politicians in New Hampshire clearly need a reality check, given their policies are so out of touch with the people of New Hampshire. You know, i'm a Democrat. It means that i'm supportive of democracy and the people of New Hampshire do have a right of a free and fair election, and for that reason I announce that there'll be a competitive primary to challenge pro-Vietnam senator McIntyre and that i'll endorse whichever anti-Vietnam candidate challenger runs. We need to have the best candidate possible to win the upcoming senate race in New Hampshire, and I don't believe senator McIntyre is that candidate.
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #35 on: November 03, 2023, 11:33:57 AM »

Remark Made by Senator Kennedy
Made outside a coffee shop in Portsmouth, New Hampshire

I am immensely proud to have the great Senator McIntyre endorse my campaign. Senator McIntyre served with honor and distinction under General Patton and has served the people of New Hampshire remarkably as their Senator. Senator McIntyre, like most Americans, initially supported our involvement in Vietnam but, again like most Americans, has realized the error in Mr. Nixon’s leadership and has acknowledged the horrible situation we find ourselves in today. That’s why he’s endorsed my campaign - he knows we need a strong nominee to take down Mr. Nixon and I’m the only candidate who can do that.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #36 on: November 03, 2023, 12:06:59 PM »

Muskie endorses

A list of endorsements from the Muskie campaign for the upcoming elections in the senate.

Colorado:
Floyd Haskell

Georgia:
Sam Nunn

Idaho:
Willem E. Davis

Iowa:
Dick Clark

Maine:
William Hathaway

Massachussets:
John J. Droney

Michigan:
Frank J. Kelley

Montana:
Lee Metcalf

New Hampshire:
John Durkin

New Mexico:
Jack Daniels

North Carolina:
Nick Galifianakis

Oregon:
Wayne Morse

Rhode Island:
Claiborne Pell

South Dakota:
James Abourezk
Mycool

Political Matrix
E: -4.58, S: -6.52

« Reply #37 on: November 03, 2023, 01:01:43 PM »

Shirley Chisholm: Unbought and Unbossed

Source

Campaign Announcement

The Chisholm campaign announced a tour of college campuses, hoping to connect with younger voters who value diversity and ending the Vietnam War. These stops will be held in early primary states such as Florida, Illinois, and Wisconsin.

Town hall excerpt:

Question: A lot of people say that the country isn’t ready for a woman, let alone a Black woman to be the nominee, what is your response to that?

If we wait our turn then we’ll never have a seat at the table. I’m not part of the boys’ club in Democratic politics. I’m an outsider. But we’ve seen what happens when we nominate insider after insider in our campaigns, we lose. I know we have an uphill battle, but I believe this country has more people who feel on the outside of the system than we think. It’s that coalition that is behind this campaign. I was an underdog in my first congressional race, but we won. This is a campaign about hope, about the future, and about what’s possible, not about following the status quo.

Question: How will your campaign handle outreach to young people?

Well, for one, I’m going to show up. Politicians owe it to the voters to make the case, and I hope I’m able to do that for all of you. Additionally, I’m going to listen to what concerns you have, like getting out of Vietnam and expanding on what we did in New York, giving students a second chance to go to college.

Question: What’s your opinion on the recent infighting in the Democratic Party?

On one hand, we’re all learning how to navigate this new primary system. On the other we need to keep our eye on the prize, making Nixon a one term President. I think there’s room to criticize candidates we disagree with, but we have to keep in mind we share a goal. I would be interested to hear more of my colleagues talking about integration for example.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #38 on: November 03, 2023, 01:58:29 PM »

Joint Statement Following Meetings With Prime Minister Sato of Japan

Courtesy of Wikimedia and the Federal Government. This image is in the public domain
January 07, 1972

(San Clemente)--Prime Minister Sato and President Nixon, meeting in San Clemente on January 6 and 7, 1972 had wide-ranging and productive discussions that reflected the close, friendly relations between Japan and the United States. They covered the general international situation with particular emphasis on Asia including China, as well as bilateral relations between Japan and the United States.

The Prime Minister and the President recognized that in the changing world situation today, there are hopeful trends pointing toward a relaxation of tension, and they emphasized the need for further efforts to encourage such trends so as to promote lasting peace and stability. These efforts would involve close cooperation between the two governments and with other governments. They also recognized that the maintenance of cooperative relations between Japan and the United States is an indispensable factor for peace and stability in Asia, and accordingly they confirmed that the two Governments would continue to consult closely on their respective Asian policies.

The Prime Minister and the President, recalling the more than one hundred years of association between the two countries, emphasized the importance of U.S.-Japanese relations being founded on mutual trust and interdependence. In this connection, they highly valued the important role played by the Treaty of Mutual Cooperation and Security between Japan and the United States.

Recognizing that the further strengthening of the already close economic ties between Japan and the United States was of vital importance to the overall relations between the two countries as well as to the expansion of the world economy as a whole, the Prime Minister and the President expressed their satisfaction that significant progress was being made, particularly since the meeting of the Japan-United States Committee on Trade and Economic Affairs last September, towards improvement of trade conditions and economic relations between the two countries.

They shared the expectation that the international currency realignment of last December would provide a firm basis on which to chart future development of the world economy, and stated their determination to exert renewed efforts, in combination with other countries, towards improved monetary arrangements, expanded world trade and assisting developing countries. In this connection they affirmed the importance of conditions that facilitate the flow of both public assistance and private capital.

The Prime Minister and the President reaffirmed the basic view that Japan and the United States, jointly ascribing to the principles of freedom and democracy, would cooperate closely with each other in all areas such as the political, cultural, economic, scientific and technological fields to achieve the common goals of maintaining and promoting peace and prosperity of the world and the well-being of their countrymen.

They agreed that the two Governments would expand cooperation in the fields of environment, of the peaceful uses of atomic energy and the peaceful exploration and use of outer space. They further agreed that experts of the two countries would examine concrete steps in this regard. They also agreed that steps be taken to increase cultural exchanges and in this regard the President welcomed the explanation given on the contemplated establishment of a Japanese cultural exchange program.
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #39 on: November 03, 2023, 02:26:55 PM »

Mayor Yorty offered the following comments during a townhall in Keene, NH:

New Hampshire's been a barnburning head-twister already, hasn't it, folks? Among many other things, you've got to wonder whether somebody shook Senator Muskie and turned him into Etch A Sketch Ed. *laughter* Either way, I look forward to reading the morning papers once my fellow hopefuls congregate on the Senate floor.

What I believe this race is quickly shaping up to be is a race between the leaders and the followers. Who blows with the wind, and who stays rock steady? I entrust you all in this room tonight, plus the voters across our many primaries and caucuses, to be the judge of that. This campaign is about unvarnished principles, cutting through the malarkey and equivocation. You can rest assured that I will not have to spend my entire time on the trail atoning for and backtracking on the past record.

Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #40 on: November 03, 2023, 03:02:17 PM »
« Edited: November 03, 2023, 04:13:26 PM by Roger Waters for Something 2024. »

Lawrence Spivak: Joining me today on Meet the Press, appearing by satelite from Montgomery, Alabama, is Governor George Wallace. Governor Wallace declared his intention to run for the Democratic presidential nomination at the end of the last year, and has been actively courting the support of southern and rural Democrats. Governor Wallace is well aware that the political leaders of his party are predicting that he won't be the nominee in 1972, despite widespread regional support in the south. My question to you, Governor Wallace, is twofold: are they right? And how do you plan to prove them wrong?

George Wallace: Well, I'll say this - the party leaders are wrong. But it 'aint up to them to decide who is the nominee. It's up to we the people. And the people are crying out for new leadership in Washington, and a new direction for the Democratic Party, away from this tired brand of liberalism that encroaches on the powers of the state, threatens our free enterprise system, and divides the people of this country along racial lines.

Lawrence Spivak: A lot of people are wondering where you stand on international affairs; you're known to be a strident anti-communist, but you've been largely silent in recent years about the war in Southeast Asia. Do you have a plan for peace?

George Wallace: I have a plan for victory, not just peace. Now I agree with the President that we need to win the war in Vietnam honorably, but his plan for peace is apparently so secret that he doesn't know it himself!

Lawrence Spivak: So what is your plan?

George Wallace: The realities of war make it impossible for any President to make a plan, stick to it, and execute it without complications. I'm well aware of that. But I believe I can bring the North Vietnamese to the table, by hook or by crook, and when I do, I'll tell them like it is: that they cannot and will not be allowed to conquer free South Vietnam, that they will not be able to fund the Viet Cong and the Khmer Rouge and the Pathet Lao and these other red rebels active across the region, and if they continue to do so, there will be consequences.

Lawrence Spivak: And what would those consequences be?

George Wallace: I'm not afraid to show the Chinese and the Soviets what the full force of American military might looks like. We'd make an example out of them.

Lawrence Spivak: Would you employ nuclear weapons?

George Wallace: I don't think we'd need a big firecracker to finish the job, the North Vietnamese aren't exactly Imperial Japan...

Lawrence Spivak: But you aren't opposed to -

George Wallace: I've never said 'nothing about using nuclear weapons -

Lawrence Spivak: But you ran for President four years ago with General LeMay -

George Wallace: And I'm damn proud of my last campaign, we won a historic level of support for a third party candidate, despite this network and the others lying about me and my running mate. The fact is, the press is truly the fourth branch of government. They bully, buy, and intimidate the other candidates in this race easily. But not me. Mark Twain said that a lie can get around the world twice before the truth can put its pants on. And that is true, but what Mark Twain left out is that the truth eventually catches up to the lies. It always does. And the people of this country know the truth, which is that the "politocrats," which is what I call 'em, cannot continue pushing the country down the road they're taking us down.

Campaign Strategy

Advertisements: The Wallace campaign will air ads in Florida and Wisconsin encouraging voters to "stand up for America" with a catchy jingle attached. The ads are modeled after similar electoral broadcasts made by the Kennedy campaign in 1960, with the theme being centered around Wallace's career long fight against Great Society liberalism.

Barnstorming: Wallace will campaign actively in Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, and Mississippi, with planned events scheduled to take place later in Wisconsin as well as the primary draws closer.

Endorsements: Governor Wallace is pleased to announce the support of former Georgia Governor Maddox and Congressman John Rarick, both of whom will serve as honorary campaign co-chairs and will be involved in fundraising and barnstorming efforts.

Fundraising: With the help of Governor Maddox and Congressman Rarick, Wallace will be courting the support of several business leaders in the south who are concerned by the anti-business agenda of the contemporary Democratic Party. Governor Wallace's brother, Gerald Wallace, will lead the campaign's fundraising efforts and has reached out to many big and medium sized businesses in the south which are threatened by growing federal regulations.

Key Staff:
- Tom Turnipseed (Campaign Manager)

- Alton Dauphin (Senior Strategist)

- Gerald Wallace (Senior Adviser/Chief fundraiser)

- Charles Snider (Personal pilot/traveling aide)

Issue Positions.
Busing: The issue of mandatory school busing is a perfect example of how the Washington elites use the issue of race to divide our country, dumb down our students, and weaken the public's trust in our education system. Governor Wallace will end school busing on day one as President, and will work to ensure that students attend schools, integrated or not, that are near and familiar to their homes.

Civil Rights: Governor Wallace recognizes that all American citizens are equal under the law and valued by God, but opposes efforts of the federal government to interfere in the rights of states to establish laws against discrimination, citing the 10th Amendment. Governor Wallace furthermore believes that much of the nation's problems in regards to race are caused by outside agitators from the north who want to stir up trouble, use racial lines to divide communities, and capitalize on the chaos that follows to implement their big government agenda.

Defense: Believing in a strong national defense, Governor Wallace will expand and transform the military into a lean mean fighting machine! By eliminating bureaucratic handwringing that hampers our troops on the battlefield, Governor Wallace hopes that America's soldiers will be able to do what they do best: win wars.

Education: Governor Wallace supports a fully funded public school system, but believes firmly that these schools should be administered on the local level by elected school boards. Governor Wallace is dedicated to keeping radicalism and pornography out of our schools, and is concerned by the radical current flowing through America's most elite universities.

Foreign Policy: The Soviets will no longer be allowed to meddle in the western hemisphere under a President Wallace; unafraid to take the fight to them, wherever in the world communism may rear it's ugly head, Governor Wallace intends to toughen sanctions on Cuba and is willing to provide military and monetary support to friendly, anti-communist governments across South and Central America in order to stem Cuba's influence in the region. Recognizing that the world has always been divided into spheres of influence (a reality of international affairs now and then), Governor Wallace plans to roll back the red tide and contain communism behind the Iron Curtain, while encouraging dissident movements in the Soviet Union. Governor Wallace also believes in the territorial integrity of South Vietnam, South Korea, and Taiwan, and will act vigorously to preserve the free and democratic governments of these nations.

Healthcare: As President, Governor Wallace will expand Medicaid and Medicare to ensure that every citizen has health insurance. But Governor Wallace differs from his democratic rivals on the grounds that the states, rather than the federal government, are best equipped to fund these programs. To that end, the Governor supports large and generous block grants to the states to build healthcare systems that are tailored to the needs and demands of citizens across the country on a local and state level.

Immigration: Though America is a nation of immigrants, Governor Wallace opposes the Johnson administration's immigration policies and will implement a strict migration cap on those entering the United States to ensure that American workers will receive a fair deal and cannot be economically displaced.

Law & Order: America is burning. And Governor Wallace is the only one willing to say it. The Wallace administration will take an aggressive approach to those who seek to riot, loot, and destroy. The Governor is not afraid of using the full force of the law against the radicals who threaten the social cohesiveness and domestic tranquility of the United States.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #41 on: November 03, 2023, 03:06:01 PM »

When does the turn end again? I plan to have my schedule up in this post later tonight or tomorrow at the absolute latest. I'll edit this later with my endorsements and campaign activities in the south.

Seven hours or so. But remember, this is meant to be different than the usual election game, the idea is not to follow the old model of posting a detailed day by day schedule of where you've been. It's more about - take the other candidates posts as an example - about messaging, strategy, stances and so on (and of course where you're campaigning), to make it simpler.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #42 on: November 03, 2023, 03:55:46 PM »

Statement from the Hart Campaign

Senator Hart will file for the New Hampshire and Florida primaries, and encourages those who support him in Illinois to cast their votes for former Senator McCarthy.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #43 on: November 03, 2023, 04:46:21 PM »

Hart 1972

Phillip Hart is the Conscience of the Senate with a well-earned reputation for honesty and integrity. In times like these, a man of such character is desperately needed to prevent America's soul from being lost in the name of political expediency.

That will be the core of the campaign: fighting for American values of decency, honesty, and compassion. Of course, leaning into Hart's war record would be helpful as well.

Excerpts from town hall in Concord, New Hampshire

Q: What is your stance on Vietnam?

Hart: We have been in Vietnam too long for too little of a result. It is time that we began scaling down this war; it is time for the ARVN to stand on their own two feet and fight it for themselves, and I have full confidence that they will be able to do so. In the meantime, we should also look at bringing both sides back to the table in Paris.

Q: There's been a lot of mudslinging in the Democratic primary so far. What's your opinion on it?

Hart: It has to stop. This election is going to be one of character, especially against men like President Nixon and Vice President Agnew. As I have said before, there is a growing belief that politicians in this country will simply cast away their ideals in favour of a few votes here and there. We are meant to be better than the President is, so let us prove that.

Excerpt from rally in Miami, Florida

"This country is coming to a tipping point. It's always been an ongoing fight between idealism against cynicism, of hope against fear. It's in hard times like these that we must stand with our conscience in order to push us forward.

Our conscience demands that we not give in to expediency, but continue to strive to make this nation better. That, ultimately, is what separates us. We are the only country to stand up and say 'We can do better' every time we're confronted with a national issue. Don't choose cynicism and fear this election, America, choose hope. Hope that things will get better. Hope that things will change. Hope for our future as a nation.

Excerpt from policy speech in Nashua, New Hampshire

"We have seen our cities fall apart with a lack of investment. They have become stigmatised as the home of the poor and disadvantaged; of the homeless and of crime. THis must be reversed using any means necessary.

How do we reverse it? We extend tax credits to our inner city communities, and combine that with mixed public and private investment into local businesses and factories, and construction of affordable, comfortable housing so every American can live with a roof over their heads.

This is something that is long overdue in this country. We can solve our problems in the cities. We only need to believe we can do it first."

Statement on endorsement

"I am very proud to receive the endorsement of Congresswoman Martha Griffiths. She has been an outstanding representative for the men and women of her district, and a shining beacon for those of us who believe in the triumph of idealism. She has been at the forefront of fighting for the Equal Rights Amendment, and I will gladly take up this sword during the campaign. Thank you, Congresswoman.
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #44 on: November 03, 2023, 05:09:16 PM »

Sam Yorty Campaign Strategy: Turn 1

Over the first distance of the campaign, Sam Yorty believes two words are key: "energy" and "organizing." As the most vocal and articulate candidate countering the looming radical takeover of the Democratic Party, the impetus exists to activate the conservative wing around the Mayor's side nationally, not necessarily just extremely concentrated in the South a la Wallace. Along with the initial media blitz to raise name recognition, the attention and interest from the public that follows will be channeled into building a robust campaign apparatus of new volunteers, staffers, and donors. Advertising shall be strategically modest and not extravagant for the time being, instead investing into campaign operations from the bottom up while word of mouth and energetic campaigning by Mayor Yorty lead the way in building poll numbers. Different constituencies are also tailored for precise outreach; notable examples include white ethnics and Mexican-Americans, all of which Yorty is well attuned to. Over time, Yorty is to hopefully achieve a whirlwind of a grassroots machine that can outpace even the heaviest rivals.

In the eyes of Yorty, a delegate-first approach is key to gain the leverage necessary for victory by the DNC. That is why the campaign is preparing for the long haul to have a strong presence across caucus states, while generally staying modest about their expectations for the filed primary states. For December and January, a healthy majority of time is devoted to New Hampshire: connecting with regular voters, local community leaders, county parties, trade unions, and so on. Former New Hampshire Governor John W. King, an early endorser, is enthusiastically building up the campaign and statewide Democratic leaders.The other two states most prominently focused on is Iowa, where Yorty's Nebraska roots are played up for a regional son effect (perhaps especially in Western Iowa); and Arizona, where Yorty also has a Western advantage along with the critical support of state titan Ernest McFarland. Spare but publicized appearances in the urban areas of Illinois and Florida also occur, mainly to highlight issues of advantage and network with Democratic players.

Beyond the natural conservative base, Yorty is rapidly making inroads and outreach with the moderate elements across the Democratic Party: those who may wince at the pivots and overtures to progressive/radical support among Yorty's rivals, or even those who may doubt the sincerity of other liberal-moderate candidates. In the case of John Lindsay, with his public gambits on condemning the Lyndon Johnson endorsement or declaring strategic support to Eugene McCarthy in Illinois, Yorty immediately stakes a claim in messaging and strategy as the only centrist mayor in the race. Mayor Lindsay has 'made his bed' with his sudden embrace of the left and shall live by the consequences for the duration of the campaign, no matter what moves the Mayor shall do next. Overt slashing of rivals is deemphasized over this period, instead preferring to offer clear compare-and-contrasts and the occasional jokes with the others as Yorty himself touts his maverick credentials to the voters. Fallout from the frontrunners Kennedy and Muskie fighting it out is naturally welcomed.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #45 on: November 03, 2023, 05:44:03 PM »

Muskie in New Hampshire

Excerpts from town hall in Portsmouth, New Hampshire

"I'm pleased to announce that I've gained the endorsement of John Durkin. Mr. Durkin will be the senatorial candidate challenging the incumbent McIntyre and receives my endorsement for the race. I believe he's the best candidate to represent the people of New Hampshire, and New Hampshire deserves excellent representation in Washington, D.C. Durkin is the man best suited for that, while also offering electability on the table.

Q: What's your position on Vietnam?
Well, we need to withdraw fully and immediately. It's one of the first things I would do when I get elected. We've been in Vietnam for over a decade now, and people are still talking about "scaling down." Scaling down doesn't cut it; we've been doing it for years. The war is lost; there's no need to send more people and resources to that wasteland when there are so many issues at home we should tackle first.

And unlike some other people, such as Governor Wallace, I am not so delusional as to believe - unlike what everyone has been saying at this point - that we can still defeat the Vietnamese. If we could have defeated them, we would have done so already, and we wouldn't be having this conversation, you know. I don't know the world Governor Wallace is living in, but threatening to start a world war with China or the Soviet Union, knowing very well this would lead to nuclear war, is not how a president should conduct diplomacy. I trust the American people to understand that this isn't how we do business. I mean, Barry Goldwater went nowhere in the race against President Johnson.

If elected president, it will be my first priority to bring all Americans still in Vietnam back to their families and, preferably, in good and healthy condition. There are so many mothers out there who are worried about their sons; we will bring them back. I promise you. If I'm elected president, we will bring them back. Alive. It's the first thing I'll do in office."
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #46 on: November 03, 2023, 05:51:10 PM »

Presidential Address to the Nation on Plan for Peace in Vietnam (January 25, 1972)
Courtesy of the Richard Nixon Foundation; see link here for the original image source.

Good evening:

I have asked for this television time tonight to make public a plan for peace that can end the war in Vietnam.

The offer that I shall now present, on behalf of the Government of the United States and the Government of South Vietnam, with the full knowledge and approval of President Thieu, is both generous and far-reaching.

It is a plan to end the war now; it includes an offer to withdraw all American forces within 6 months of an agreement; its acceptance would mean the speedy return of all the prisoners of war to their homes.

Three years ago when I took office, there were 550,000 Americans in Vietnam; the number killed in action was running as high as 300 a week; there were no plans to bring any Americans home, and the only thing that had been settled in Paris was the shape of the conference table.

I immediately moved to fulfill a pledge I had made to the American people: to bring about a peace that could last, not only for the United States, but for the long-suffering people of Southeast Asia.
There were two honorable paths open to us.

The path of negotiation was, and is, the path we prefer. But it takes two to negotiate; there had to be another way in case the other side refused to negotiate.

That path we called Vietnamization. What it meant was training and equipping the South Vietnamese to defend themselves, and steadily withdrawing Americans, as they developed the capability to do so.

The path of Vietnamization has been successful. Two weeks ago, you will recall, I announced that by May 1, American forces in Vietnam would be down to 69,000. That means almost one-half million Americans will have been brought home from Vietnam over the past 3 years. In terms of American lives, the losses of 300 a week have been reduced by over 95 percent—to less than 10 a week.
But the path of Vietnamization has been the long voyage home. It has strained the patience and tested the perseverance of the American people. What of the shortcut, the shortcut we prefer, the path of negotiation?

Progress here has been disappointing. The American people deserve an accounting of why it has been disappointing. Tonight I intend to give you that accounting, and in so doing, I am going to try to break the deadlock in the negotiations.

In seeking peace in Vietnam, with so many lives at stake, I felt we could not afford to let any opportunity go by-private or public—to negotiate a settlement. As I have stated on a number of occasions, I was prepared and I remain prepared to explore any avenue, public or private, to speed negotiations to end the war.

Nothing is served by silence when the other side exploits our good faith to divide America and to avoid the conference table. Nothing is served by silence when it misleads some Americans into accusing their own government of failing to do what it has already done. Nothing is served by silence when it enables the other side to imply possible solutions publicly that it has already flatly rejected privately.

The time has come to lay the record of our secret negotiations on the table. Just as secret negotiations can sometimes break a public deadlock, public disclosure may help to break a secret deadlock.

Here is the essence of our peace plan; public disclosure may gain it the attention it deserves in Hanoi.

Within six months of an agreement:
—We shall withdraw all U.S. and allied forces from South Vietnam.
—We shall exchange all prisoners of war.
—There shall be a cease-fire throughout Indochina.
—There shall be a new presidential election in South Vietnam.

President Thieu will announce the elements of this election. These include international supervision and an independent body to organize and run the election, representing all political forces in South Vietnam, including the National Liberation Front.

Furthermore, President Thieu has informed me that within the framework of the agreement outlined above, he makes the following offer: He and Vice President Huong would be ready to resign one month before the new election. The Chairman of the Senate, as caretaker head of the Government, would assume administrative responsibilities in South Vietnam, but the election would be the sole responsibility of the independent election body I have just described.

There are several other proposals in our new peace plan; for example, as we offered privately on July 26 of last year, we remain prepared to undertake a major re. construction program throughout Indochina, including North Vietnam, to help all these peoples recover from the ravages of a generation of war.

We will pursue any approach that will speed negotiations.

We are ready to negotiate the plan I have outlined tonight and conclude a comprehensive agreement on all military and political issues. Because some parts of this agreement could prove more difficult to negotiate than others, we would be willing to begin implementing certain military aspects while negotiations continue on the implementation of other issues, just as we suggested in our private proposal in October.

Or, as we proposed last May, we remain willing to settle only the military issues and leave the political issues to the Vietnamese alone. Under this approach, we would withdraw all U.S. and allied forces within 6 months in exchange for an Indochina cease-fire and the release of all prisoners.
The choice is up to the enemy.

If the enemy rejects our offer to negotiate, we shall continue our program of ending American involvement in the war by withdrawing our remaining forces as the South Vietnamese develop the capability to defend themselves.

If the enemy's answer to our peace offer is to step up their military attacks, I shall fully meet my responsibility as Commander in Chief of our Armed Forces to protect our remaining troops.
We do not prefer this course of action.

We want to end the war not only for America but for all the people of Indochina. The plan I have proposed tonight can accomplish that goal.

Some of our citizens have become accustomed to thinking that whatever our Government says must be false, and whatever our enemies say must be true, as far as this war is concerned. Well, the record I have revealed tonight proves the contrary. We can now demonstrate publicly what we have long been demonstrating privately—that America has taken the initiative not only to end our participation in this war, but to end the war itself for all concerned.

This has been the longest, the most difficult war in American history.

Honest and patriotic Americans have disagreed as to whether we should have become involved at all nine years ago; and there has been disagreement on the conduct of the war. The proposal I have made tonight is one on which we all can agree.

Let us unite now, unite in our search for peace—a peace that is fair to both sides—a peace that can last.

Thank you and good night.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #47 on: November 03, 2023, 07:09:19 PM »

CBS: Face the Nation

George Herman: Joining me today on Face the Nation via satellite from Concord, New Hampshire is Mayor John Lindsay.  Mayor Lindsay, thank you for joining us!"  

John Lindsay: "It's a pleasure to be here, George."  

George Herman: "Now, Mayor Lindsay, you've rapidly emerged as one of the harshest critics of the Vietnam War running for President this year.  How would you respond to conservatives who have attacked your rhetoric as 'defeatist' or even accused you of weakening America during wartime?"  

John Lindsay: "Well, George, I don't think there's anything more patriotic than trying to keep our young men from dying for a mistake.  Our boys risk their lives to defend our freedom and the least we can do is have their backs here at home by working to make sure they don't die for the pride of President Nixon and misguided advisors.  And it's not President Nixon's son-in-law or Vice President Agnew's son spending Christmas in Cambodia either.  I'll tell you something else, George, I am the only candidate who has called for tougher sanctions on the Castro regime and I am committed to supporting our allies overseas from Berlin to Jerusalem.  But what I don't support is sending our young men off to die for nothing and that's exactly what's happening in Vietnam.  

President Nixon says wait at least six months - perhaps more - and hope your husbands, sons, and brothers don't die for a mistake in the meantime.  It's unconscionable, George!  Before at least one could say 'the man is wrong, but at least he comes by his beliefs honestly.  Today, he's revealed himself as a man lacking the courage to do what he plainly knows to be right and end the war now!  He knows the war was a mistake and yet he still won't bring our troops home immediately."  

George Herman: "Powerful words.  But what would you say to viewers who say you lack the experience to be President?  You're running against multiple Senators, a former Vice-President, and a Governor among others."  

John Lindsay: "First, George, I'd tell them that I already have the second hardest job in America as Mayor of New York City.  It's a wonderful place and our diversity is our greatest strength.  You can't hope to get anything done there if you don't know how to manage a wide variety of competing interests."  

George Herman: "Well, surely even you must admit that your record has drawn its share of controversy."  

John Lindsay: "Now I'll be the first to admit that I made some mistakes during my time in office and the biggest thing I've learned from them is that you cannot lead unless you are also willing to listen.  And Mr. President, if you're watching, that's how to handle a mistake: you acknowledge it and get to work fixing it.  You could do that tomorrow and bring our boys home from –"  

George Herman: "But your record –"

John Lindsay: "I'll tell you this about my record, George.  Whatever mistakes I've made were made with the best of intentions.  But on my watch, we put over 6,000 new police officers on the streets and that was no mistake.  I did that while also doing more to combat police corruption and condemn police brutality than any other Mayor in the City's history and that was no mistake.  I went to struggling black neighborhoods in Harlem and walked the streets of Bedford-Stuyvesant to listen to the needs of the people there when no one else would and that was no mistake.  There has not been a Watts in New York City since I took office and that was no mistake.  In my first term alone we added over 220,000 new jobs in my first term alone and that was not a mistake, George."  

George Herman: "Thank you, Mr. Mayor.  You took the rather unusual steps of endorsing one of your rivals in Illinois and organizing a joint anti-War delegate slate in Iowa.  Could you explain this to viewers?"

John Lindsay: "Our movement must be bigger than one man and in Iowa we have a chance to send a powerful message that the American people want our boys brought home from Vietnam immediately.  Not in six months.  Not a week before the election.  Not when President Nixon is good and ready.  President Nixon could end the Vietnam War today if he had the courage."

George Herman: "And your endorsement of Senator McCarthy in the Illinois primary?"  

John Lindsay: "In Illinois, the corrupt, crooked, and callously cruel machine of Boss Daley has ruled over the people of Chicago with an iron fist for far too long.  I remember when Boss Daley turned the Chicago police loose with orders to crack the skulls of defenseless kids in 1968.  I remember how Boss Daley spat vulgar anti-Semitic venom at Senator Ribicoff for condemning that massacre.  Boss Daley is a symbol of everything that is wrong with the Democratic establishment and we must all unite if we are to deal the final blow to his machine.  I commend Senator McCarthy and Senator Muskie for showing tremendous leadership and moral courage in taking on Boss Daley.  Senator McCarthy is the man I trust most of the two to immediately end the Vietnam War, but I have great respect for Senator Muskie as well.  Bluntly put, Senator McCarthy is polling better than I am in the Illinois primary and I will not put my personal ambitions ahead of what is best for the American people.  I'll do all I can to lend Senator McCarthy a hand in that fight and then I'll lick him in Wisconsin. *laughs*"

George Herman: "One final question, Mr. Mayor: You've been especially critical of Senator Kennedy on Vietnam.  Why single him out?  There are few candidates running who could be described as supporting the Vietnam War and Senator Kennedy isn't one of them."  

John Lindsay: "Well, let's be careful about that, George.  Senator Kennedy says he opposes the war today.  This is the same Senator Kennedy who not so long ago called for sending over 150,000 new troops to Vietnam.  Who knows what his position on the war will be tomorrow.  At this rate, he'll soon be claiming that he voted for the war before he voted against it.  And this has been a pattern with Senator Kennedy.  He says he's running on a promise to fight the influence of party bosses in smoke-filled rooms and then actively endorses Boss Daley's delegate slate in Chicago.  If Boss Daley doesn't represent the corruption of smoke-filled rooms then I don't know what does.  America cannot lead the world if our leaders mislead us at home and while I respect Senator Kennedy's legislative accomplishments, I don't think anyone knows what he really believes anymore."  

George Herman: "And I'm afraid that's all the time we have today.  Thank you for joining us, Mayor Lindsay."  

John Lindsay: "Thank you for having me!"
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #48 on: November 03, 2023, 08:01:52 PM »

Hart 1972: Positions on the issues

Civil Rights: What good is the fight against civil rights without the weight of the White House behind it? Senator Hart stands fully behind all attempts to expand and defend civil rights in the United States by any means necessary, and will ban redlining federally.

Our Cities: The American city has been adversely affected by the last twelve years. It has been stereotyped as the home of crime, the underprivileged, the weak. We must revitalise our urban centres through construction of affordable husing, investing in business opportunities, and improving education.

Healthcare: Senator Hart supports a full universal healthcare system. Is it past time that the United States had healthcare available to all citizens regardless of income or background.

Education: While supportive of the idea that education is a local matter, Senator Hart believes that no dollar should be skimped when it comes to education. It is the silver bullet to many issues faced today, and in many issues that will form in the decades to come. An educated populace is one that will guard against demagogues and create a prosperous society.

Foreign Policy: America must withdraw from Vietnam and negotiate a peace agreement. In addition, Senator Hart believes that the United States must seek to strengthen NATO and other alliances around the world, and work within established institutions like the United Nations to foster international cooperation and continue arms talks with the Soviet Union

Infrastructure: In the 1930s and 1950s, America dreamed big when it came to infrastructure. We created some of the most wondrous public works in history that not only provided jobs, but allowed for easier flow of commerce and boosted our overall economy. Senator Hart believes fervently that expansion and modernisation of rail, airports, highways and rural roads is the key to solving our economic woes, and will spare no expense in expanding our infrastructure.

Our Workers: Workers and their advocates in unions have seemingly been surrendered by the Democratic Party to law and order messaging from those pushing fear for the sake of votes. Senator Hart stands for an increased minimum wage and the total and complete repeal of the Taft-Hartley Act, which has needlessly undermined unions and made it easier for anti-union right-to-work laws to be installed.

Crime: We cannot stick our heads in the sand and pretend crime is not a problem. Senator Hart advocates for improved policing practices and proper sentencing guidelines, while also supporting methods to root out crime before it starts, such as investing in education and job opportunities to provide honest work. In short, Senator Hart will be tough on the causes of crime, rather than crime itself.

Poverty: This issue affects all Americans, and not just those impoverished. Senator Hart supports any means necessary to eradicate poverty and homelessness in America, whether that be through new housing, jobs programs or a minimum wage increase, and will restart the War on Poverty in the United States.
Kuumo

P P
« Reply #49 on: November 03, 2023, 08:21:21 PM »

McGovern Campaign Town Hall Excerpts

On the War in Vietnam
I've been consistent in my opposition to the continued war in Vietnam. Our boys have been dying there for years, but for what cause? Far from bringing us to the end of the war, the President has only escalated the carnage in the region while getting us no closer to victory. My top priority in my first 100 days would be the negotiation of peace with the North and the safe return of our troops with all possible haste.

On Healthcare
For all my disagreements with Lyndon Johnson, the Great Society programs passed under his leadership were a significant step forward for this country. But we can do better! Millions of Americans remain without affordable care. I dream of a country where every person, regardless of class, creed, or color, has the right to live freely without fear of being unable to pay the bills. That's why I support expanding the Medicare program to all Americans.

On the Discord in the Primary
Look, we're a big tent party with a lot of diverging opinions and strong personalities. I won't be putting words in the mouths of my colleagues, but I think it's good for the public to hear the views and controversies surrounding the candidates now rather than later when deciding who to support.

On the War in Vietnam, After the Recent News from the Nixon Administration
Well, that may be what he's saying now, but who knows what'll happen tomorrow. Nixon has flip-flopped and misled the public on so many issues, I can scarcely find the energy to be outraged anymore. Make no mistake, this national quagmire won't be truly over 'til our troops are back home, no matter what the White House may say.

McGovern Campaign Strategy

Senator McGovern, campaign manager Gary Hart, and the rest of the campaign team see a narrow path to victory starting with the liberal base of the party. On the stump in New Hampshire, Florida, and Wisconsin, McGovern emphasizes his record as one of the first public critics of the Johnson administration's Vietnam War policies in the Senate. Most of his focus is on New Hampshire, where he hopes for a comparatively strong performance in the face of two rivals from neighboring states. However, secondary investments are made in Florida, where the campaign hopes to garner a few delegates on the backs of liberals turned off by Wallace and the establishment candidates. McGovern stops in Miami, campaigning in neighborhoods all over the city to reach both his left-wing base as well as attempting to build inroads with black voters.

Advertisements often feature his biography, highlighting his background as the down-to-earth son of a small-town minister, always standing up for his beliefs, even when most politicians would back down for political expediency. Mentions of his service in the Air Force during WWII are sometimes included to counter anticipated attacks on his patriotism. His campaign fights for the support of Democrats and independents still outraged by the debacle of the 1968 convention, championing the new primary system as a way to make their voices heard. While acknowledging the advantages of better known candidates, the McGovern campaign also attempts to reach out to organized labor leaders in New Hampshire and Wisconsin, highlighting his Senate record and support for repealing the Taft-Hartley Act. McGovern refrains from attacking his primary opponents by name, hoping to stick to positive messaging to introduce himself to the voters in the early leg of the campaign. However, references to chronic neglect on various issues by "Washington insiders on both sides of the aisle" abound.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies