Fear and Loathing in Nixonland (Gameplay Thread)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 10:33:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  Fear and Loathing in Nixonland (Gameplay Thread)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9]
Author Topic: Fear and Loathing in Nixonland (Gameplay Thread)  (Read 13178 times)
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #200 on: January 05, 2024, 02:20:50 AM »

Mistakes

Ad Runtime and Location: 125 seconds; will run in Wisconsin, Pennsylvania, and Massachusetts media markets between March 25 and April 25.

Ad Description: We see a clip from Senator Humphrey's recent remarks in Philadelphia. Shortly after, a somber, feminine voice begins to sing a redition of "Where Have All the Flowers Gone?"

The following message is paid for by Vietnam Veterans for Peace.

Credit to the State Library and Archives of Florida

SENATOR HUMPHREY: President Johnson has done more for the American people than any other President this century save for President Roosevelt. I brought up President Johnson today because I know what his leadership has meant for this country. If I am elected President, I'll try and finish the job.

Senator Humphrey, do you think President Johnson made mistakes?

SENATOR HUMPHREY: Of course! There's not a leader in our history who hasn't made a mistake, and this is no less true with President Johnson. But I'm very proud of the work I did with him as Vice President.

Credit to Stanford University

Where have all the flowers gone? Long time passing.
Where have all the flowers gone? Long time ago.

Credit to MNopedia. This image is in the public domain

Where have all the flowers gone? Young girls picked them, every one.
When will they ever learn? When will they ever learn?

Credit to Knox College Archives

Where have all the young girls gone? Long time passing.
Where have all the young girls gone? Long time ago.

Credit to Mark Susina

Where have all the young girls gone? Gone to young men, every one.

Credit to the Associated Press

Where have all the young men gone? Long time passing.
Where have all the young men gone? Long time ago.

Where have all the young men gone? Gone to soldiers, every one.

Where have all the soldiers gone? Long time passing.
Where have all the soldiers gone? A long, long time ago.

Credit to the Nevada Appeal

Credit to Stars and Stripes Magazine

Where have all the soldiers gone? Gone to graveyards, every one!

Credit to the Minnesota Historical Society

No more excuses. No more broken promises. No more mistakes.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #201 on: January 05, 2024, 07:14:06 AM »

Announcement From the Lindsay Campaign:

We will, in coordination with the Hartke and McCarthy campaigns, be running a joint anti-Vietnam, pro-civil rights unpledged delegate slate in the South Carolina Caucus.  Instead of individually contesting the South Carolina Caucus, all three campaigns will be uniting behind a single joint delegate slate pledged to support the participating candidate with the most delegates at the time of the Democratic National Convention.

Additionally, we will be contesting the Indiana, Ohio, Nebraska, Tennessee, and Washington D.C. primaries.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -4.78

P P P
« Reply #202 on: January 05, 2024, 10:38:14 AM »
« Edited: January 05, 2024, 10:42:18 AM by I'm not a genocide apologist »

Muskie endorses anti-Vietnam slate in upcoming South Carolina Caucus

Senator former presidential candidate Edmund Muskie urges his supporters and sympathisants to back the anti-Vietnam, pro-civil rights slate in South Carolina. Muskie stated that voting for the slate gives voters the best chance for immediate withdrawal from Vietnam. Muskie also said that voting for the slate is the best chance to defeat president Nixon in november.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #203 on: January 05, 2024, 10:56:57 AM »

Muskie will visit several universities in the country

Senator and former presidential candidate Edmund Muskie announced that he'll appear in several universities across the nation, most notably in Ohio, Indiana, Pennsylvania, Massachussets and Wisconsin which will all hold primaries in the near future. Among the universities where Edmund Muskie will appear in front of a student crowd are the University of Wisconsin System, Indiana University System, Perdue University System, University System of Ohio, and several other universities in Pennsylvania and Massachussets. One of the more notable places where the senator will appear is Kent State University where two years ago a shooting committed by the national guard took place.

The senator is expected to raise the Vietnam issue, but will also talk about other issues and crisises that face students nowadays. He'll also take a moment to talk about the environment, an issue he deeply cares about.

Senator Muskie also did let know that he'll attend the commemoration in memory of the victims on May the fourth at the Kent State University.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #204 on: January 05, 2024, 11:06:49 AM »

Muskie proposes plan to break deadlock in primaries

While awaiting to make an official endorsement in the campaign, Edmund Muskie is looking for the best anti-war candidate to become the nominee and to face incumbent president Nixon in november. At the moment i'm not very thrilled on the prospects of a Humphrey presidency. I believe he hasn't shown enough commitment to several key issues that the American voters care about, including Vietnam, but i'm also worried about the extensive amount of vote splitting that might eventually hurt the anti-war left in the primaries.

Therefore, my call would be to senator Hartke, former senator McCarthy and mayor Lindsay to work together. I believe mayor Lindsay currently is the best positioned in Wisconsin, senator Hartke in Pennsylvania, and former senator McCarthy in Massachussets. My proposal and my request is for the other candidates to drop out of the other primaries and focus on the primary they're most likely to win most. This would be Wisconsin for mayor Lindsay, Pennsylvania for senator Hartke and Massachussets for former senator McCarthy.

In the case, a deal will be reached, i'm available to show up with each of the three candidates on the campaign trails in their respective states. And I would also call on the voters of each of their respective candidates to back the candidate that has the best chance of success in those states, being Lindsay in Wisconsin, Hartke in Pennsylvania and McCarthy in Massachussets.

The last thing we should do is enable a Wallace win because candidates who agree on virtually everything refuse to coöperate together for the greater good. And we need to do everything to ensure that one of those eventually captures the nomination, and that's what I intend on doing.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #205 on: January 05, 2024, 01:43:30 PM »
« Edited: January 05, 2024, 09:48:17 PM by KaiserDave »

The Road to Victory: Wisconsin

Wisconsin, the Badger State, is where the Humphrey campaign faces a major test. Senator Humphrey has survived the first filter of the primary which felled Ed Muskie and Ted Kennedy, and has become the undisputed frontrunner, but whether this credibility can last is yet to be determined. Wisconsin will be a major testing ground.

The Humphrey strategy in Wisconsin is in many ways the same as it has always been, the regular Democrat. The regular Democrat holds close to the ideals of the Great Society and the New Deal, the regular Democrat strongly supports desegregation, the regular Democrat believes the War in Indochina has dragged on for too long, but the regular Democrat frowns above wild attacks on Democratic leaders and the excesses of the New Left, the regular Democrat wants a regular Democratic Party, and Senator Humphrey is their man.

In Wisconsin there are two primary constituencies of the regular Democrat, labor and Black Americans. These are the two constituencies that will bring Senator Humphrey to victory.

Regarding labor, Senator Humphrey has the most sterling credentials on the rights of labor, that's not an opinion, that's a fact. Senator Humphrey will campaign strongly on this message in Wisconsin, with language similar to his address to the state AFL-CIO. The message is clear, Senator Humphrey will end the Taft-Hartley Law, increase the bargaining power of labor unions, and grow union membership through his full employment policy. Making Senator Humphrey the Democratic nominee gives labor a shot to elect the most pro-union President in the history of the United States. Whatever pretensions other candidates are making now, and in fact many of them have extremely dubious records on this, Humphrey has the record of struggle to back it up. Senator Humphrey will hammer this message home in union halls across the state and in print and radio advertisement, as well as direct-mail.

Senator Humphrey has the most sterling credentials on the desegregation issue of any candidate running, that's not an opinion, that's a fact. He will be working hard to remind voters of these credentials, and the Senator's plans to complete the work of desegregation, especially in housing, and to increase federal funding to public schools to address years of inadequacy. Senator Humphrey will not change his stated position on busing, which is a great reluctance to use it and a preference for other tools for education desegregation, as it is key to a strong position with other voting blocs, but Senator Humphrey will not hesitate to campaign on the civil rights issue and to meet with the black community. Nobody will be able to accuse the Senator of ignoring their concerns.

But the real wedge issue in Wisconsin will be the legacy of President Lyndon B. Johnson. Senator Humphrey will press hard in defense of the Great Society. Senator Humphrey will tie his expansive social welfare proposals to completing the work of the Great Society, as well as tying it to ideas like the Freedom Budget, especially with Black voters. Other candidates have made very hard attacks on President Johnson, but President Johnson remains popular with about half of Democrats [1] and his Great Society is even more popular. This is especially true with Black (especially older) voters and ethnic white workers. Senator Humphrey will seek to make the legacy of President Johnson a major wedge issue in this primary. Mayor Lindsay has sought to build a coalition of students, ethnic whites, and Black voters, this wedge issue will be a test of how durable it is.

Senator Humphrey's position on the War in Vietnam remains entirely unchanged, immediate withdrawal, and he will not hesitate to emphasize this issue, especially in the context of attacking President Nixon for expanding the war and in the context of refocusing on key domestic issues like inflation and unemployment.

Key issues emphasized by Senator Humphrey in Wisconsin will be

• Support for the Great Society and the historic legacy of President Johnson
  • Support for repealing the Taft-Hartley Law
  • Support for a Full-Employment Program to comprehensively address the entrenched social problems of this nation amplified by a war which must end
  • Support for the Rights of Labor and Humphrey's credentials on this issue
  • Support for increasing Social Security benefits and tying it to inflation
  • Support for a new price control scheme that is far more aggressively in prosecuting violators
  • Support for housing desegregation
  • Support for federal farm supports and constructing a modern New Deal farm policy
  • Support for re-funding America's public education system

Senator Humphrey will be spending much time in Wisconsin, especially campaigning with Bronson and Doug La Follette who have endorsed his campaign. He will spend primary day in Madison and the evening in Milwaukee.

Senator Humphrey will also neglect the farm vote. Senator Humphrey has fought for years on issues concerning farmers and constructing a modern New Deal farm policy that supports those making their lives out on America's vast farmlands, which are especially prominent in Wisconsin. Let nobody doubt that Senator Humphrey stands with the farmer, and has stood with them for decades alongside Franklin Roosevelt, Adlai Stevenson, and Lyndon Johnson.

Humphrey's message to Wisconsin Democrats is simple, Humphrey stands with the common man and the regular Democratic voter. Of all the great progressive causes of the common man, Hubert Humphrey has been at the frontlines, even when it was novel and unpopular, and he defends the legacy of the Great Society. If you are looking for a regular Democratic candidate, a reliable, decent man of character who you can trust not to err to the extremes of irresponsibility, who stands with average people, Senator Humphrey is your man.

[1] I don't have a figure on this, but he ended his term at about 50% approval, so it logically follows he has (probably by a decent margin) majority approval amongst Democrats.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #206 on: January 05, 2024, 04:11:08 PM »

Save Our Streets

Ad Runtime and Location:120 seconds; will run in Pennsylvania and Wisconsin from March 25 to April 25.

Ad Description: A uniformed police officer sits down in a suburban family living room. After a few beats, we see the officer look at a photo of his parents' wedding at his neighborhood Catholic Church. Later we see the officer look out his window onto an streetcorner.

The following message is paid for by the League of Concerned Parents.

My name is Marco Pasternak. I have been a Police Officer with the Milwaukee Police Department for 20 years.

I've lived my whole life on Milwaukee's South Side. My dad's family moved out here back in aught 5. He just turned 70 this past year. Still goes to the same Church with his grandkids every Sunday and takes 'em for walks down by Baran Park.

I joined the force because I care about my neighbors and I care about my city. I had a lot of friends who moved to the suburbs these past few years because of all the chaos going on, but we're not that type of family. Our roots are here. All of my family lives here.

I think, what those politicians did to this city and to this neighborhood, it's disgraceful. I have never been a prejudiced man. But respect goes both ways. We've had a lot of folks moving in who don't care about me or my kids. They don't like us. I'm doing patrols through my own neighborhood and I have to let guys go from attempteds burglaries because City Hall is leaving my precinct high and dry.

I used to really admire Senator Humphrey. But he's taken a radical turn these past few years. I know he's trying to appease those radical hippies, but he's gotta show some strength. You can't - you can't push through decades of change in our neighborhoods overnight. It's wrong. It's, it's, it's disappointing. I relied on men like him to stand up for the little guy. But it doesn't feel like he cares about folks like me anymore.

Save our Schools. Save our Streets.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #207 on: January 05, 2024, 05:09:49 PM »

The Road to Victory: Wisconsin

Wisconsin, the Badger State, is where the Humphrey campaign faces a major test. Senator Humphrey has survived the first filter of the primary which felled Ed Muskie and Ted Kennedy, and has become the undisputed frontrunner, but whether this credibility can last is yet to be determined. Wisconsin will be a major testing ground.

The Humphrey strategy in Wisconsin is in many ways the same as it has always been, the regular Democrat. The regular Democrat holds close to the ideals of the Great Society and the New Deal, the regular Democrat strongly supports desegregation, the regular Democrat believes the War in Indochina has dragged on for too long, but the regular Democrat frowns above wild attacks on Democratic leaders and the excesses of the New Left, the regular Democrat wants a regular Democratic Party, and Senator Humphrey is their man.

In Wisconsin there are two primary constituencies of the regular Democrat, labor and Black Americans. These are the two constituencies that will bring Senator Humphrey to victory.

Regarding labor, Senator Humphrey has the most sterling credentials on the rights of labor, that's not an opinion, that's a fact. Senator Humphrey will campaign strongly on this message in Wisconsin, with language similar to his address to the state AFL-CIO. The message is clear, Senator Humphrey will end the Taft-Hartley Law, increase the bargaining power of labor unions, and grow union membership through his full employment policy. Making Senator Humphrey the Democratic nominee gives labor a shot to elect the most pro-union President in the history of the United States. Whatever pretensions other candidates are making now, and in fact many of them have extremely dubious records on this, Humphrey has the record of struggle to back it up. Senator Humphrey will hammer this message home in union halls across the state and in print and radio advertisement, as well as direct-mail.

Senator Humphrey has the most sterling credentials on the desegregation issue of any candidate running, that's not an opinion, that's a fact. He will be working hard to remind voters of these credentials, and the Senator's plans to complete the work of desegregation, especially in housing, and to increase federal funding to public schools to address years of inadequacy. Senator Humphrey will not change his stated position on busing, which is a great reluctance to use it and a preference for other tools for education desegregation, as it is key to a strong position with other voting blocs, but Senator Humphrey will not hesitate to campaign on the civil rights issue and to meet with the black community. Nobody will be able to accuse the Senator of ignoring their concerns.

But the real wedge issue in Wisconsin will be the legacy of President Lyndon B. Johnson. Senator Humphrey will press hard in defense of the Great Society. Senator Humphrey will tie his expansive social welfare proposals to completing the work of the Great Society, as well as tying it to ideas like the Freedom Budget, especially with Black voters. Other candidates have made very hard attacks on President Johnson, but President Johnson remains popular with a majority of Democrats [1] and his Great Society is even more popular. This is especially true with Black (especially older) voters and ethnic white workers. Senator Humphrey will seek to make the legacy of President Johnson a major wedge issue in this primary. Mayor Lindsay has sought to build a coalition of students, ethnic whites, and Black voters, this wedge issue will be a test of how durable it is.

Senator Humphrey's position on the War in Vietnam remains entirely unchanged, immediate withdrawal, and he will not hesitate to emphasize this issue, especially in the context of attacking President Nixon for expanding the war and in the context of refocusing on key domestic issues like inflation and unemployment.

Key issues emphasized by Senator Humphrey in Wisconsin will be

• Support for the Great Society and the historic legacy of President Johnson
  • Support for repealing the Taft-Hartley Law
  • Support for a Full-Employment Program to comprehensively address the entrenched social problems of this nation amplified by a war which must end
  • Support for the Rights of Labor and Humphrey's credentials on this issue
  • Support for increasing Social Security benefits and tying it to inflation
  • Support for a new price control scheme that is far more aggressively in prosecuting violators
  • Support for housing desegregation
  • Support for re-funding America's public education system

Senator Humphrey will be spending much time in Wisconsin, especially campaigning with Bronson and Doug La Follette who have endorsed his campaign. He will spend primary day in Madison and the evening in Milwaukee.

Humphrey's message to Wisconsin Democrats is simple, Humphrey stands with the common man and the regular Democratic voter. Of all the great progressive causes of the common man, Hubert Humphrey has been at the frontlines, even when it was novel and unpopular, and he defends the legacy of the Great Society. If you are looking for a regular Democratic candidate, a reliable, decent man of character who you can trust not to err to the extremes of irresponsibility, who stands with average people, Senator Humphrey is your man.

[1] I don't have a figure on this, but he ended his term at about 50% approval, so it logically follows he has (probably by a decent margin) majority approval amongst Democrats.

OOC: That poll looks like a major outlier:

[url]https://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/statistics/data/lyndon-b-johnson-public-approval

Also, I wouldn’t be surprised if he had much higher approvals with Republicans than Democrats in the end
Carolyn
Rookie
United States

« Reply #208 on: January 05, 2024, 08:06:23 PM »
« Edited: January 05, 2024, 08:12:39 PM by Carolyn »

HARTKE
FOR
PRESIDENT

None but the brave deserve the fair! Wisconsin is the flagship state for Vance Hartke. He relished the stiff competition. His footprints had been all over the Badger State in a whirlwind of rallies, barnstorms, and meetings. He had built a steady profile of surrogates. His most important was Henry Maier, the powerful mayor of Milwaukee, who would begin dialing up his stronghold to get out the vote for Hartke. The inclusion of Maier was a calculated move to show Vance's allure to the center. He was the respectable anti-war candidate: the one who could clearly articulate opposition to Nixon without getting into ugly fights with his fellow Democrats; the one who sought to include a diverse range of supporters, never thumbing his nose at working-class Americans; and the one who lacked the baggage of the Johnson years, which so hobbled Hubert Humphrey.

Vance targeted homeowners (including the many housewives there), the European diaspora (Swedes, Danes, Norwegians, Serbs, and Poles), union workers, farmers (especially those involved in dairy production), and students around Madison. He would stick to his tough rhetoric about the Nixon administration. Outside of Vietnam, he would point out the incredible property taxes that had risen in urban and suburban areas under Nixon’s watch. Next he would hammer Earl Butz, Nixon's secretary of agriculture, for favoring corporate agriculture over small family farms that were left to wither. Having blasted the President, he would then emphasize the possibility for change, one that favored the common man, under the policies outlined in his platform.

His message would be spread through the medium of television and radio. This is where Vance would really hit the airwaves. The ads would be clear and positive, evoking the imagery of Kennedy, with Hartke talking to his target audience. In fact, one of his main goals is to take up the mantle of the Kennedy Democrats, who were disappointed after the defeat of their champion. The rugged persona that they admired about Ted is reflected by Vance with none of the drunkenness. He would also build a bridge to McGovern's supporters. His campaign is open to absorbing the infrastructure already put in place by out-of-work staffers.

The Hartke campaign will file for Nebraska, Indiana, Ohio, and Washington DC.
Left Wing
FalterinArc
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -8.26, S: -6.09

« Reply #209 on: January 06, 2024, 01:34:45 AM »

Justice.

Before he stepped onto the stage to greet his unimaginably ecstatic supporters, Eugene McCarthy thought back to the Chicago of four years ago. The city where the hopes of every kid hoping not to have to live in a country waging an illegal war were ruthlessly crushed under the jackbooted heel of Richard Daley and the Chicago Police Department. In that moment he had nearly lost faith in the ability of politics to create change in this nation he loved so much. But tonight was vindication. On his own turf he had destroyed Daley, reducing him to a footnote and had soared in the delegate count to become the largest non-Wallace option. As he addressed his supporters he spoke with an energy and vigor not seen in many years from the Senator.

Thank you. Thank you!

It is too early to say what the final results of this primary will be, but I'll bet Boss Daley didn't like them! [cheers]

My friends, tonight you have sent a message to the Democratic Party, to this nation and to the world. It is as message that has rung anytime a tyrant who sought to subvert democracy and impose his will was thwarted by the power of engaged citizens who want a say in their elected leaders. It is a great honor to have been selected by the voters of Illinois and at this moment I can only say that I will promise not to let you down. This campaign will continue to fight peace, jobs, freedom and democracy throughout this Democratic Primary. With the momentum you have granted us, we are going to bring the fight to the general election, defeat Richard Nixon and restore decency to the White House.

[cheers]

To anyone who doubted our movement, who cast our Five-Point Plan as unrealistic and unelectable, I say look to the coalition we have built tonight. Our nation may only succeed when we think big and act decisively to eradicate our problems. This is what President Roosevelt chose to do nearly four decades ago and it is what we will accomplish in my administration. Good paying jobs, a guaranteed minimum income, strong union protections and a federal infrastructure plan to put millions of Americans to work. These ideas may be considered radical by a small contingent of Washington policymakers, but as tonight has shown, the majority of Americans are in favor of measures which would take immediate action to improve their lives.

In this moment of victory I must also thank all who supported me, especially including Congressmen Mika and Metcalfe, Alderman Singer, Reverend Jackson and Mr. Al Raby. Gentlemen, your support and introduction to people of all walks of life here in Chicago has meant the world to me and I am eternally grateful. I also would like to comment on the withdrawal of Senator Kennedy from the race. Though we had our disagreements, I always have found the Senator to be a man of good character who earnestly believes in progressive causes which would benefit all Americans. I am saddened to see he has appeared to be forced out of this campaign by those seeking to focus on personal foibles rather than debate the merits of his policy positions but I commend him on a well-run campaign nonetheless. Now, we must prepare to take the same message that brought people together in this state and apply it elsewhere to build a winning coalition nation wide. Again, thank you my friends and good night to you all.

The Governor.

Shortly after his victory in the Illinois Primary, the Senator would part ways with the state he had practically lived in for the last three months for the neighboring Badger State. Days after the shockwave that emanated from the shores of Lake Michigan, another major boon for the McCarthy campaign would arrive in the form of an endorsement. While it may have been predictable that his 1968 floor director would eventually come around in support of his campaign, the timing of Governor Patrick Lucey's endorsement could not have been better. The McCarthy campaign now had at its disposal a vast network of contacts within the Wisconsin Democratic Party, including local party chairs, precinct captains and donors all loyal to Governor Lucey, and the campaign had full intent of employing them.

The campaign would conduct a concerted effort to move its Illinois infrastructure northward, benefitting from the proximity between both states. They would begin distributing copies of the Five Point Plan through mailing lists across the state. Eugene McCarthy himself would spend much time in Milwaukee, rallying Black voters who had propelled him to victory in Illinois in the state of Wisconsin. He would frequently hit on his support for desegregation, particularly emphasizing the extremely disparate state of housing within the city. Additionally, he would make appearances with Governor Lucey in smaller cities across the state in an attempt to soften his image to some who may see the Governor as a more comfortable figure. He would also repeatedly hit on the work he provided in the passing of the Clean Air Act, making the connection to how it affected industrial areas with high levels of noxious gas emissions. This would also serve as an appeal to Senator Gaylord Nelson, reminding him of their time in the Senate together and how he could serve as a team player when needed on the most important issues.

Going forward, the McCarthy campaign would begin building its infrastructure in Massachusetts, now being able to easily achieve ballot access. Congressman and Jesuit Priest Robert S. Drinan would be employed as a surrogate in the state, preceding the arrival of McCarthy himself in the state. Particular use of Drinan would be made to appeal to the Irish Catholic constituencies who may be inclined to support his campaign post-Kennedy withdrawal as the only Irish Catholic remaining in the race. While still competing with anti-war opponents in Wisconsin, the campaign recognized the need for unity within the caucus states and would support the anti-war unpledged electors slate in South Carolina. Looking ahead, the McCarthy campaign would begin putting in the work to register for the Indiana, Ohio, DC, North Carolina and Alabama primaries.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #210 on: January 09, 2024, 02:20:35 PM »

Forgot to update this:

Players:

Democratic Party Candidates

Governor George Wallace (D-AL): ChairmanSanchez
Senator Hubert Humphrey (D-MN): KaiserDave
Mayor Sam Yorty (D-CA): Spiral
Mayor John Lindsay (D-NY): Mr. X
Former Senator Eugene McCarthy (D-MN): FalterinArc
Senator Vance Hartke (D-IN): Carolyn
Senator Robert Byrd (D-WV): Prez_zf

Democratic Party Officeholders
Withdrawn from the race but active, or reserved

Senator Ted Kennedy (D-MA): Dkrol
Senator Scoop Jackson (D-WA): OBD
Senator Philip Hart (D-MI): GoTfan
Senator George McGovern (D-SD): Kuumo

Republican Party

NSA Henry Kissinger: S019
Senator James Buckley (C/R-NY): Ishan
White House COS H. R. Haldeman: DevoutCentrist
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #211 on: January 09, 2024, 05:57:32 PM »
« Edited: January 11, 2024, 09:52:12 PM by President Spiral »

Yorty Speaks

On Kennedy's withdrawal: For all the fuming and the heavy words exchanged on occasion, I can say that Senator Kennedy has a special place in the party to come. The Senator's former supporters are always welcome in our camp. Not only are we building a working class movement across the party, who else can best capture that fellow Irish passion? *laughs*

In Milwaukee, WI: Wonderful to be back in Milwaukee! Been a number of years since I last visited, though the family has long roots here going back to my dad's side. When I visit the heartland, I see the swaths of hard-working Americans who want a fair paycheck, safe streets, and an end to the lunacy from the farthest left corners of our party. This hasn't always been something we can take for granted any longer, sadly.

Democrats need a leader who can play hardball on these issues, and I am up for the challenge. If you're fed up by what you've been seeing in the evening news again and again, your vote for change is for our growing movement!

In Boston, MA: For all of you in the audience who were chewed up and spit at by the system, this campaign is for you. For those who want a President calling it as it truly is, not just stuffed with meek words, this campaign is for you. We stand with the people against destructive policies like busing and for the sensible center. Let us prove the likes of Lindsay and McCarthy wrong on where this party lies very soon with an utter stampede at the polls!

On the environment: The press has not touched on this much, but my campaign was the first to raise environmental and conservation issues on the trail. Before any of the peace group, and before any flaming liberals, you had Sam Yorty in the Florida Everglades talking about this. The environment affects us all: our business, our health, and our planet. We cannot thrive without first addressing how to best sustain ourselves.

When I first ran for Los Angeles Mayor in 1961, my campaign was fueled by the rising smog crisis in our city. I called out the incumbent mayor for the waste that continued to burn and pollute our air and for not doing more on auto standards. While the smog issue continues to be a great citywide challenge, this is an area deeply familiar and personal to myself. Going back even further in time, in the California Assembly I fought for preserving the state's water rights. I would bring to the office of the presidency a pressing need to combat pollution across our urban centers, and even rural communities tied up in unsafe practices, to conserve our planet and conserve America in the long run. We will invest funding in the foremost experts in science and technology to lead the way in innovation. Over the long run, we will all see the difference in cleaner, healthier, and safer communities.

The Yorty campaign will be filing for the Alabama, Indiana, Ohio, North Carolina, and Nebraska primaries.
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #212 on: January 09, 2024, 09:57:58 PM »
« Edited: January 11, 2024, 03:20:32 PM by President Spiral »

Sam Yorty Campaign Strategy: Turn 5

Now that the upcoming primaries are beginning to concentrate more across the North, Sam Yorty sees the moment as very well being his breakout moment for a tangible victory. He would go to work towards ensuring that. Yorty would be among the hardest at work catering to the former supporters of Ted Kennedy, many of whom are more eclectic in beliefs than the candidate himself. In particular, Yorty would hone in on 1) the moderate to conservative Kennedy voters who appreciated his defense stances on issues like Vietnam, 2) the large Catholic bloc tied to ethnic voting and perhaps values issues, 3) white voters drawn away from Kennedy after the unapologetic pro-busing rhetoric, and 4) the other disaffected and overlooked voters who could gravitate to candidates of fellow stature. Yorty also claimed his stake on the remnants of the 'traditional' Ed Muskie base after the Senator finally bowed out.

On the trail, Mayor Yorty would also ramp up his compare-and-contrast campaigning as it relates to Senator Humphrey. Where Humphrey quivers, Yorty is firm. Where Humphrey has catered to the radicals, Yorty affirms his declared position in the moderate wing. The white, moderate, establishment-oriented voters Humphrey has spent time cultivating would come to hear of the Senator's very mixed record on busing (both during the campaign and in Washington) along with his left-wing turns on defense issues, pulling back credibility to the recent posturing around Lyndon Johnson. In contrast, Yorty would explicitly aim with appeals to the establishment in a panic over recent radical victories as the only candidate with "a clear agenda" and a "backbone" who can take them on. Combining with this is a strategy of gradually peeling Byrd and Wallace support and consolidating the conservative wing through the candidate hugging closest to the social movements against recent liberal policies/rulings. Whether it be the backlash to marijuana or certain posturing of skepticism against the Equal Rights Amendment (winning over some housewives in the process), Yorty would also be the conservative candidate who best articulates this wing's values and desires in office.

With all of that, Yorty would spend significant time barnstorming Wisconsin on such themes. However, the main driver of the Wisconsin campaign (and certain other states like Massachusetts) would be Yorty going full throttle on his adamant opposition to busing. The campaign put into place a new "Busing on the Ballot" initiative in camapign events, ensuring the issue would not go unheard by rival candidates. A hallmark tactic the Mayor would employ would be introducing highly emotional townhall events that feature parents (black and white) speaking up about the harm caused by busing, calling out those who have not done more in opposition. As Yorty toured the rural and suburban areas most receptive to his message, he would stress that Wisconsin could be the catalyst for a "comeback of sanity" after the recent Lindsay and McCarthy wins. In rallies and townhalls, Yorty also appealed to the undecided and disaffected through his unique policy mixes and wave of blunt charisma that cuts through regular politician speak. For hopefully some home effect, Yorty also alluded to his family roots in Wisconsin when speaking with voters about the significance the state has on him.

For the other upcoming contests, Yorty had modest investments in the South Carolina caucus, hoping to exceed Byrd and earn some delegates. Most of the rest of campaigning time would be spent in Massachusetts, where Yorty would fully connect with the brash Irish Catholic voters who were previously wedded to Senator Kennedy. Particular time was spent throughout Boston and the working class neighborhoods aligned with the Yorty viewpoint. Pennsylvania would receive some love, though not to the level of Wisconsin and Massachusetts by a good measure, instead focusing on building up support among sparse rural communities and the Amish/Mennonite bloc (through Yorty's Pennsylvania Duth roots). Likewise, advertising would be most targeted at Wisconsin and Massachusetts as these states are seen as the best chances of victories.

Looking ahead, Yorty would continue to ramp up fundraising capabilities through the frantic establishment and grassroots conservatives. Particular time was also spent behind the scenes fully consolidating his hold on the upcoming Western states hospitable to him, including some necessary organizing in his all-important home state of California. Another long-term project with the departure of Kennedy is to fully wrap the Latino bloc around Yorty, particularly Mexican-Americans, who would be more familiar with the Mayor through Los Angeles and for whom the candidate's socially conservative tinges would align with many community members.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #213 on: January 13, 2024, 05:50:45 PM »

Lindsay will crisscross every inch of Wisconsin with rallies throughout the state.  Bus students to and from the polls non-stop at every university.  The major themes are anti-Vietnam while honoring the troops, pro-union economic populism, and playing up my safe clean streets record of decreasing crime, fighting corruption, and no race riots in NYC w/o the police brutality you see in cities like Los Angeles and Henry Maier’s Milwaukee

Henry Reuss will use his dominance of both North Milwaukee and the black vote there to maximize support for Lindsay.  Reuss will also crisscross Milwaukee non-stop as a major surrogate emphasizing pro-Union economic populism.  Hughes will crisscross the Driftless region campaigning hard on anti-Vietnam and pro-farmer agricultural issues.  William Proxmire will focus on the liberal, young people, and anti-war votes hitting every college campus and doing multiple events in college towns like Madison.

The SEIU and AFSCME will go all out mobilizing their membership for Lindsay, cast Humphrey as an unreliable sellout who is all talk and no action with Lindsay as the clear candidate of organized labor in Wisconsin.   Also, have organizers in the Menominee County Indian reservation.  Keep running anti-Vietnam ads hitting Humphrey hard in Wisconsin, playing the 40,000 coffins clip.  Also do a lot of outreach to the large and notoriously dovish/anti-Vietnam German-American community in WI which has been neglected by all the other candidates.

Keep building ground game organization in PA, OH, IN, NE, and MA.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #214 on: January 13, 2024, 09:21:55 PM »
« Edited: January 13, 2024, 09:28:59 PM by Lumine »

Wisconsin Primary, and South Carolina Caucus

South Carolina Caucus
Candidate   Votes (%)   Delegates
George Wallace43%16
Hubert Humphrey24%8
Uncommitted (Anti-War)23%8
Robert Byrd6%-
Sam Yorty4%-

Wisconsin Primary
Vance Hartke23%20
Sam Yorty20%17
Hubert Humphrey19%16
John Lindsay17%14
Eugene McCarthy14%-
Robert Byrd7%-

Wisconsin Primary (GOP)
Richard Nixon90%28
John Ashbrook10%0

Democratic Delegate Count

George Wallace - 94
Sam Yorty - 84
Eugene McCarthy - 71
Ted Kennedy - 60
Hubert Humphrey - 56
Uncommitted (Daley) - 39
Uncommitted (Anti-War) - 38
John Lindsay - 32
Vance Hartke - 23
Ed Muskie - 10
George McGovern - 4
Robert Byrd - 0
Philip Hart - 0
Shirley Chisholm - 0

The Road to the White House

MAR-APR. 1972

It wasn't meant to be like this, insiders were said to be complaining. All those who had gambled on a straight Kennedy-Muskie fight had seen all their carefully built assumptions crumble as outsiders continued to deliver win after win. And in the most stunning development thus far, Senator Kennedy himself, long thought the unbeatable candidate should he entered the race, dropped out after under-performing in the first contest and sustaining a brutal campaign of character assassination regarding Chappaquiddick. This meant, in turn, that Wisconsin adopted an outsized influence in the process: a dueling ground for the momentum-filled McCarthy and Lindsay to battle for control over the anti-war wing, an opportunity for Humphrey to assert himself firmly as the frontrunner, and, as ever, another chance for Yorty, Hartke and Byrd to break through. Most assumed, in any event, that it was to be a result to thin out the field and provide clarity.

DREAMS OF MOMENTUM

Although with a far lower profile than other contests, the South Carolina caucus did not go entirely unnoticed by journalists. Not being much contested, the main developments in store were the presence of an anti-war slate again, and of course, another test of George Wallace's enduring popularity in Dixie. Perhaps predictably, Wallace romped home again, surpassing his Georgia performance as his politics of grievance swayed local Democrats, moderate or conservative. It was left for Humphrey and the anti-war slate to pick up the pieces, with an under performance for the uncommitted delegates sparking talk of a potentially similar effect in Wisconsin. Perhaps, the radical anti-war tide so feared by the DNC was on the verge of losing steam?

That appeared to be the feeling on the ground in Wisconsin proper, with several leading campaigns hoping to come out storming.

For Robert Byrd, a decent debate performance breathed further life into his campaign, but the Senator's limited efforts in comparison to other candidates leave him as a man with a growing ceiling, but still a low floor. Mayor Yorty and Senator Hartke also went all-in, cleverly identifying specific voting groups and attempting increasingly complex attempts at triangulation. For Yorty, it was almost all about busing, essentially mobilizing what would normally be the Wallace coalition with a few additions. For Hartke, it was about being the respectable face of the anti-war left, mixing his opposition to the war with a combination of populist and clever use of relevant issues to garner support. Although Vice President Humphrey stole headlines with his Senate performances and a high-profile event to try and start mending his relationship to African American voters - something that appears to be a long term challenge -, it was Lindsay and McCarthy who shared the spotlight.

Lindsay secured a well-received debate performance that wounded Humphrey, gaining an important boost of momentum whilst his long-term investment and outreach in the state appeared to paid dividends. McCarthy, lacking the same organization, nonetheless had the Illinois triumph behind him, and the subsequent endorsements of Governor Lucey and Senator Gaylord Nelson generated enough buzz to match Lindsay's debate surge. The effect of this was to raise the stakes of the McCarthy and Lindsay duel, amidst speculation that, even if the anti-war vote was split, they could well defeat Humphrey.

WISCONSIN: HELL ON EARTH

That is, until the other side of the campaign reared its monstrous visage. If New Hampshire had already seen a dirty and negative campaign, enough to leave the local state party hopelessly divided and bitter, Wisconsin was likely worse. No longer was just one man - Kennedy - the target for character assassination, almost all candidates suddenly became fair game.

For Vice President Humphrey, this meant not only vicious and biting ads on Vietnam and Crime that generated much negative publicity, but a seemingly relentless effort to derail and/or sabotage his campaign.

No event could be held without separate groups of civil rights, anti-war, anti-busing or "pro-police" activists disrupting them, heckling the candidate, and drowning out his voice. Nowhere could Humphrey's volunteers go without being ambushed by angry protestors. No town hall or greeting could be held without hostile voices - to the point of appearing to be shamelessly planted in the audience - giving Humphrey hell over any issue. And then, of course, came the propaganda, with countless homes across the state receiving mailers denouncing Humphrey's stances depending on the racial makeup of the building. This was taken to such an extreme that white neighborhoods reported receiving endless cold calls denouncing Humphrey's support on desegregating housing... and black neighborhoods reported the same calls, only this time attacking him for equivocating on busing and civil rights. And as a final coup de grace, pro-union literature - linked to the Wallace camp - going hard after the Vice President for his stance on integrating unions.

Lindsay and McCarthy came next, with the same viciousness but applied in different manners. For Lindsay, it was a massive direct-mail campaign that dwarfed the attacks on Humphrey and went beyond. Led by the mysterious "Democrats for Unity", the campaign spared nothing regarding Lindsay's record in New York City, alternating between his Republican record, radical stances when it came to moderate voters, labor disputes, the hard hat riot, the state of the city and its public services, and so forth. Despite the campaign being suddenly lifted by a costly last minute effort involving mailers, GOTV and calls, Lindsay's momentum became buried in scorched earth territory. And for McCarthy, it was worse. Although the major media outlets refused to touch the story, the National Enquirer had no scruples to run a cover story following the publication of McCarthy's wife's (with whom he is now separated) memoirs: Private Faces, Public Places.

Hinting at, but never outright making accusations of infidelity, the memoir and what appeared to be a series of anonymous press leaks led the Enquirer to actually accuse the Senator of cheating on his wife, citing past speculation to directly point towards two female journalists, Shana Alexander (Life) and
Marya McLaughlin (CBS). The news rocked the last days of the primary campaign, sending the McCarthy campaign into damage control. The last to be hit significantly was to be Mayor Yorty, if far less so than the others. In his case, mailers detailing Yorty's endorsement of Nixon in 1960 were spread across the state, a targeted campaign among the large Irish American population doing much to poison any goodwill and, perhaps, even costing the Mayor a victory in the state given the eventual results.

THE VERDICT

By the end of it, perhaps none of the campaigns knew what to expect any more, with leading candidates hoping that their past wins would be enough to dismiss the onslaught and sabotage. It was not to be. With almost all of the field besmirched, humiliated, slandered or weakened, the Lindsay, Humphrey and McCarthy campaigns all went into free fall. In the end, Byrd emerged with a respectable 7%. McCarthy, hit badly by the scandal in the state, dropped to fifth, his previous momentum nonetheless enabling him to save face with 14%. Lindsay had to settle for 4th and 17%, prevailing over McCarthy but ultimately being six points short. Humphrey had held to his base, but dropped behind 19% and into a disappointing - if survivable - third.

Yorty, fueled by fears of another radical victory, losses in the Humphrey camp, and being less wounded, propelled almost to the top, only for last minute attacks to bring him down and narrowly deny him the long awaited upset. That belonged to none other than Senator Hartke, who had emerged from the wreckage unscathed and who, despite his views on Vietnam, had garnered significant moderate and even conservative support. At long last, the Indiana longshot had secured a triumph, in what threatened to drastically altered the race.

As the candidates depart for future contests in Massachusetts and Pennsylvania, there is a sense that the race remains frustratingly open, and nowhere near a resolution. The leading candidates have been hurt in what appears to almost resemble a mutual-suicide pact, with Lindsay and Humphrey wounded in their pride (but very much not out), and McCarthy having a fair chance to address the scandal how that he has the time to react. For their part, Yorty remains alive in the hunt for a springboard, and Hartke has now proved that he can indeed win. But can he replicate such a darkhorse victory if upcoming primaries do not prove as vicious as this one? And if they do prove vicious, what will be left of the Democratic Party?

Stories from the Campaign Trail

Ashbrook on the brink of collapse
"Having somewhat embarrassed President Nixon in the New Hampshire Primary, Congressman John Ashbrook's insurgent bid for the Republican nomination has clearly stalled after several thumping victories from the President. Following the Wisconsin Primary, in which almost 90% of voters went for President Nixon, the Ashbrook campaign is left with limited resources and opportunities, forced to rely on the CNC despite reports of an increasingly hostile relationship between Ashbrook and CNC founder James Buckley. Although Ashbrook has other protest paths ahead of himself, such as using his few allocated delegates to disrupt the eventual Republican Convention, it is unlikely whether his bid can survive that far..."

Did HHH wet his pants?
"(Rolling Stone) In what is perhaps one of the most amusing developments thus far, two campaigns have privately confirmed to me that The Hube, that old decrepit bat, is having serious bladder control problems. Not only that, they're saying that he p____d his pants during the last Wisconsin debate, the stench of urine being so strong as to be unmistakable. This has been rapidly picked up by the kids following The Hube across every corner of Wisconsin, to the point that I've heard them from my hotel room chanting: "Hey hey HHH, when will you p__s your pants again? If The Hube is so decrepit this early in April, imagine what will happen when they inevitably put him against Nixon in November..."

Preparing for the DNC?
"Amidst growing speculation that the Democratic Party will be unable to reach the DNC in Miami with a clear-cut nominee, many observers have pointed out that several former candidates keep themselves busy and in the public eye, in what might end up being a future last-minute bid at the eventual convention. Not only are Senators McGovern, Muskie and Hart all on the ballot in their respective states, Senator Muskie - who is soon to face a censure vote in the Senate - made headlines by calling for anti-war candidates to split the primaries to prevent division, and was well received by college students in a recent visit to Kent State. For his part, Senator Hart has earned plaudits over the foundation of the "People's Coalition", an apparent response to the CNC that has taken a very active part in voter registration and which may have a serious impact in upcoming primaries..."
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #215 on: January 16, 2024, 10:13:04 PM »

Stage Six
Welcome to the Bleak House
April 1972

GALLUP POLL: President Nixon's Approval Rating

Approve: 52%
Disapprove: 38%
Undecided: 10%

POLLING RANGE: Democratic Nomination

Hubert Humphrey: 24-28%
John Lindsay: 18-22%
George Wallace: 15-19%
Vance Hartke: 14-18%
Eugene McCarthy: 13-17%
Sam Yorty: 11-14%
Robert Byrd: 5-8%

POLLING RANGE: Pennsylvania Primary

Hubert Humphrey: 24-30%
George Wallace: 18-22%
Vance Hartke: 17-21%
John Lindsay: 16-20%
Robert Byrd: 9-12%
Sam Yorty: 8-13%
Undecided: 8-12%

POLLING RANGE: Massachusetts Primary

Hubert Humphrey: 26-31%
Eugene McCarthy: 24-29%
Sam Yorty: 21-25%
John Lindsay: 19-24%
Undecided: 8-12%

-

GALLUP POLL: General Election Possibilities

Richard Nixon (GOP): 41%
Generic Democrat (DEM): 33%
George Wallace (AIP): 16%

Richard Nixon (GOP): 52%
Generic Democrat (DEM): 31%
Anti-War Dem (IND): 7%

Richard Nixon (GOP): 42%
Generic Democrat (DEM): 27%
George Wallace (AIP): 15%
Anti-War Dem (IND): 6%

-

GALLUP POLL: General Election Match-Ups

Richard Nixon (GOP): 51%
Hubert Humphrey (DEM): 40%
Undecided: 9%

Richard Nixon (GOP): 55%
John Lindsay (DEM): 35%

Richard Nixon (GOP): 59%
Eugene McCarthy (DEM): 33%
Undecided: 8%

Richard Nixon (GOP): 52%
Sam Yorty (DEM): 30%
Undecided: 18%

Richard Nixon (GOP): 50%
Robert Byrd (DEM): 37%
Undecided: 13%

Richard Nixon (GOP): 50%
Vance Hartke (DEM): 36%
Undecided: 14%

Richard Nixon (GOP): 60%
George Wallace (DEM): 28%
Undecided: 12%

In the News

Political carnage in Wisconsin
Lindsay, McCarthy, Humphrey emerge wounded from Wisconsin,
Hartke joins the ranks of successful insurgents, but is he ready for the big stage?
Muskie faces censure this week, poll suggests Democrats were "unfair" to Kennedy

Bloody Friday joins Bloody Sunday
IRA strikes against Heath after Westminster centralizes power,
Over twenty explosives are detonated all across Belfast, causing panic,
Nine are killed, NI Secretary Whitelaw rumored to be seeking talks

Congress asserts control over Vietnam War
By 68-16 vote, Senate gives thumbs up to War Powers Act,
Bill would limit Presidential power to use force without Congressional approval,
To be debated soon in the House, with Nixon administration dead against it

Man lands on the moon - again
Successful Apollo 16 mission lands ninth and tenth astronauts on the Moon,
Apollo 17 in December last scheduled mission after cancellation of further ones,
Have Americans given up on Space due to high costs?
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #216 on: January 16, 2024, 10:31:14 PM »

Turn Overview

For the purposes of this turn, which is meant to cover the entirety of April 1972, we will cover the Pennsylvania and Massachusetts Primaries, and the Idaho, Vermont, Nevada and Kentucky Caucuses. Filing for the AL, IN, OH, DC, TN, NC, NE, and WV primaries closes this turn.

This is expected to run for seven days, until next Tuesday at midnight.

Special Event: North Vietnam invades South Vietnam!

SAIGON - In scenes resembling the infamous Tet Offensive of 1968, a drastic - if militarily unsuccessful - gamble by Hanoi to seek the collapse of the Republic of South Vietnam, American forces in Vietnam and the ARVN (Army of South Vietnam) have been stunned by a sudden massed offensive by the People's Army of Vietnam (PAVN). Amidst the cover of an enormous artillery barrage, suspiciously well-equipped PAVN divisions stormed across the DMZ, with an estimated force as high as 300,000 men, the bulk of North Vietnam's existing conventional forces. This was soon followed by flanking attacks from Laos and Cambodia.

The attack caught much of the ARVN and several American units by surprise, resulting in major gains by North Vietnam in the first few hours of the offensive. Under previous advice by the National Security Advisor, the Nixon Administration has reacted strongly, and has immediately moved to expand weapons shipments to the ARVN as well as bolster, whenever possible, the around 65,000 troops (only a fraction of them combat units) that the United States still maintains in Vietnamese territory. The timing of the North Vietnamese operation has coincided with the monsoon season, thus preventing the intervention of the USAF for the time being: a critical boon for Hanoi which they must exploit before it is too late.

With the situation on the ground still difficult to accept, a major political storm has suddenly erupted within the United States as, for the time being, President Nixon's promises of a "Peace with Honor" are under question. Thus, the White House must decide how to move forward, while keeping international and domestic reaction in mind at a difficult moment. And the Democratic candidates must also gauge their responses, without knowing what the ultimate result will it. Is it to be another Tet, a victory that nonetheless breaks a President's back? Or an eventually triumphant comeback for Richard Nixon - yet another - in his quest for a second term?
Carolyn
Rookie
United States

« Reply #217 on: January 23, 2024, 03:41:22 PM »

HARTKE
FOR
PRESIDENT

Pennsylvania is an exercise in the transformation of Vance Hartke from successful insurgent to frontrunner. He had the advantage of a unified campaign that was fired up and focused on a single state compared to Humphrey's dual commitments. Hartke's team had five main groups in mind: union  voters who were not otherwise intransigent in their loyalty to Humphrey; the vote-getting Democratic organizations led by Peter J. Camiel in Philadelphia; the ethnic elements in the blue-collar electorate of the state's largest cities, including the Slavic blocs of Allegheny County; the liberal parts of Philadelphia and Pittsburgh, which contained the antiwar suburban counties around Philadelphia; and black voters, whom he had previously neglected in New Hampshire and Wisconsin.

On the campaign trail, Hartke would continue his personal brand of pragmatic progressivism. It was an attempt to triangulate the anti-war wing with the traditional faction of the Democratic Party. A protectionist trade agenda—checking the activities of multinational corporations charged with "exporting jobs" through the Burke-Hartke bill—mixed with a restrained foreign policy with a set timetable for the withdrawal of American troops from Vietnam as a first step toward a comprehensive peace with Hanoi. A strong support for the role of law enforcement in curbing crime coupled with care for disadvantaged communities through the powers of the federal government. His impressive record in the Senate is used to back up each of these arguments. He walked the talk.

He would visit local leaders to explain these views. While he never attacked any of his fellow Democrats, Hartke took advantage of the positive media comparisons to Humphrey. He lacked the angry protesters and general scenes of disorder that haunted the older politician. Instead of rehashed battles, he was fresh and ready to take on President Nixon. It was this optimism that he emphasized in both his personal speeches and his ads. In the words of his campaign song: "Here comes the sun.”
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #218 on: January 28, 2024, 02:11:11 PM »

Statement Regarding Defensive Operations in South Vietnam
April 6, 1972

(Washington) -- President Nixon is closely monitoring the situation in South Vietnam and has been briefed by Secretary Laird regarding new developments. The President called his counterpart, President Thiệu, yesterday and promised to provide as much aid as was needed to support the Army of the Republic of Vietnam against enemy activity in South Vietnam. The President will continue to provide frequent and specific updates on the situation in Southeast Asia as new information becomes available.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #219 on: January 29, 2024, 02:08:49 PM »

Wallace Campaign Statement.

Governor Wallace will be contesting primaries in Alabama, North Carolina, and Tennessee. The Governor will travel to Kentucky personally to campaign, visiting union halls, small businesses, holding town hall meetings and bluegrass barbecues across the state. The Governor will focus his candidacy on the concerns of the common man, primarily focusing on policy solutions that uplift the working class. Amongst the Governor's proposals:

1. Increase funding for Social Security and Medicare to ensure that every Americans can afford to obtain medical care without going into debt.

2. Consolidate the federal bureaucracy to create a leaner, meaner federal government - this includes merging the Departments of Commerce and Labor, as well as the Departments of Housing and Urban Development and Transportation.

3. Victory in Vietnam - the recent North Vietnamese aggression against the South has shown that the North Vietnamese regime in Hanoi has no intention of peacefully coexisting with the government in Saigon. Governor Wallace will campaign on the platform of "bomb bomb bomb Vietnam" - a brave and politically dangerous position to take within the context of the contemporary Democratic Party, because the Governor sees both the moral importance of America standing up for it's free and democratic allies as well as the strategic necessity and vitality of a unified Vietnam free of Marxist influence.

4. Continue the fight against against federal overreach in all walks of American life - with particular emphasis on busing, education, 2nd amendment rights, and in local schoolboards and economies.

5. Protecting the American worker and American industries. This includes taking a tougher line on foreign trade partners who manipulate or otherwise take advantage of American workers. Tariffs on all non-agricultural imports will be adjusted to ensure that American products and factories are protected from unfair foreign competition.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies