Israel-Gaza war
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 10:54:17 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Israel-Gaza war
« previous next »
Thread note
MODERATOR WARNING: Any kind of inappropriate posts, including support for indiscriminate killing of civilians, and severe personal attacks against other posters will not be tolerated.

Pages: 1 ... 214 215 216 217 218 [219] 220 221 222 223 224 ... 314
Author Topic: Israel-Gaza war  (Read 223715 times)
Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5450 on: January 20, 2024, 10:28:28 PM »
« edited: January 20, 2024, 10:33:48 PM by Velasco »

Either you have reading comprehension issues, or you are being overtly dishonest. You are going too far distorting the statements of other people, Mr X. That's not acceptable. You resort to such tactics because you find yourself in an indefensible position alongside Netanyahuand his Kahanist friends. That's truly sad

Please show me a single post where I have ever said I supported Netanyahu, supported the Kahanist lunatics, or said that any and all media criticism of Israel is automatically sensationalist.  And while you’re at it, if you disagree with me then please respond to what I’ve actually said rather than making dishonest personal attacks.

Also, calling me pro-Netanyahu is especially laughable given that, since I practice Reform Judaism, Netanyahu (and much of Likud, for that matter) do not even consider me Jewish and want to revoke right of return for Reform Jews with no exceptions.  I’ve also literally been criticizing Netanyahu for his policies towards the Palestinians since before you started posting on Atlas.  

Lastly, Kahanist?  Really?  WTF?  I haven’t accused you of being a Hamas supporter, so kindly show me the same courtesy and spare me that BS.  You know better!  Respond to what I’ve actually said.  Don’t falsely accuse folks you disagree with of being terrorist supporters.  It is beyond vile!

I didn't say you are Likudnik or Kahanist. I implied you are siding (you are "alongside") with Israel's government.  if I'm not wrong, that government currently incorporates Likudniks, Kahanists, Haredi elements and a certain Benny Gantz. You may have other sympathies, maybe you support one of the opposition parties. However, the relevant question concerning this discussion is that you stand with the government led by Netanyahu.  Please don't start distorting my posts
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5451 on: January 20, 2024, 11:00:39 PM »

Either you have reading comprehension issues, or you are being overtly dishonest. You are going too far distorting the statements of other people, Mr X. That's not acceptable. You resort to such tactics because you find yourself in an indefensible position alongside Netanyahuand his Kahanist friends. That's truly sad

Please show me a single post where I have ever said I supported Netanyahu, supported the Kahanist lunatics, or said that any and all media criticism of Israel is automatically sensationalist.  And while you’re at it, if you disagree with me then please respond to what I’ve actually said rather than making dishonest personal attacks.

Also, calling me pro-Netanyahu is especially laughable given that, since I practice Reform Judaism, Netanyahu (and much of Likud, for that matter) do not even consider me Jewish and want to revoke right of return for Reform Jews with no exceptions.  I’ve also literally been criticizing Netanyahu for his policies towards the Palestinians since before you started posting on Atlas.  

Lastly, Kahanist?  Really?  WTF?  I haven’t accused you of being a Hamas supporter, so kindly show me the same courtesy and spare me that BS.  You know better!  Respond to what I’ve actually said.  Don’t falsely accuse folks you disagree with of being terrorist supporters.  It is beyond vile!

I didn't say you are Likudnik or Kahanist. I implied you are siding (you are "alongside") with Israel's government.  if I'm not wrong, that government currently incorporates Likudniks, Kahanists, Haredi elements and a certain Benny Gantz. You may have other sympathies, maybe you support one of the opposition parties. However, the relevant question concerning this discussion is that you stand with the government led by Netanyahu.  Please don't start distorting my posts

I misunderstood your post.  I thought you were accusing me of being a Khananist Likudnik, my bad.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #5452 on: January 20, 2024, 11:17:32 PM »

Muslims in Israel

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C2WN08CtPck/

No surprise.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5453 on: January 20, 2024, 11:54:12 PM »

@prageru

hmm
SnowLabrador
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5454 on: January 21, 2024, 01:36:23 PM »

I firmly believe that the reason Netanyahu is prolonging this war is so that Trump wins in the US. I mean, Gaza's barely fighting back, Israel is committing genocide against the Gazans. This is kind of ironic, since Trump has been attacking Netanyahu lately (though he'll suck up to Netanyahu again once elected.)
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5455 on: January 21, 2024, 07:32:24 PM »

Just saw that earlier in this thread someone posted "Professor" Zenkus as a source?  I thought everybody's favorite adjunct had gone into permanent hiding after the Tara Reade affair turned out to be a hoax.

Zenkus was like, top five Bernie Bros pushing the Tara Reade thing.  His angle was that, as an Ivy League Professor on rape and sexual assault, he could personally see what others were missing -- that of course Tara Reade was telling the truth, and anyone who said otherwise was relying on their untrained eyes.

Then people started criticizing him for pretending to be an expert professor when really he's just an adjunct (on the subject of social work) who doesn't even have a Ph.D.  That sent him totally off the deep end and he started accusing all his critics of being rape apologists and the kinds of sociopath personalities he regularly sees in rapists and abusers.  He disappeared after the Tara Reade story faded away, but had a brief resurgence when he made one of those "Biden is sundowning, here's a compilation of moments where he went full retard" videos, which earned him a retweet from Donald Trump.

Blast from the past!  And he's still calling himself "Professor".
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #5456 on: January 21, 2024, 07:58:23 PM »

..... of course Tara Reade was telling the truth....."

I remember that. Clearly, your crowning moment on Atlas forums. The effort alone in your research was beyond impressive.
Samof94
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5457 on: January 21, 2024, 08:11:01 PM »

They don't have memory, they're just blinded by hatred

Imagine actually believing this Roll Eyes

So satellite images are part of the Hamas propaganda machine now?

It is known that Hamas have executed Israeli hostages- obviously the IDF is going to search for their remains so that they can be returned to their families in Israel.

Not that that will stop people with an irrational hatred for Israel from deciding that this is yet another thing they can bash Israel over.

I mean, Hamas are Jihadists who are even more anti semitic than other Jihadis.
patzer
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -3.48

« Reply #5458 on: January 21, 2024, 10:04:36 PM »

They don't have memory, they're just blinded by hatred

Imagine actually believing this Roll Eyes

So satellite images are part of the Hamas propaganda machine now?

It is known that Hamas have executed Israeli hostages- obviously the IDF is going to search for their remains so that they can be returned to their families in Israel.

Not that that will stop people with an irrational hatred for Israel from deciding that this is yet another thing they can bash Israel over.

I mean, Hamas are Jihadists who are even more anti semitic than other Jihadis.

I agree but I don't see how that relates to the quoted post at all
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #5459 on: January 22, 2024, 12:21:48 AM »

I firmly believe that the reason Netanyahu is prolonging this war is so that Trump wins in the US. I mean, Gaza's barely fighting back, Israel is committing genocide against the Gazans. This is kind of ironic, since Trump has been attacking Netanyahu lately (though he'll suck up to Netanyahu again once elected.)

Netanyahu did interfere in the 2016 election in Trump's favor, but Democrats decided to yell about some other country interfering because they were too cowardly to mention that.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #5460 on: January 22, 2024, 10:26:13 AM »

Netanyahu did interfere in the 2016 election in Trump's favor, but Democrats decided to yell about some other country interfering because they were too cowardly to mention that.

What exactly happened there?

(genuine question, can't remember)
Birdish
United States

« Reply #5461 on: January 22, 2024, 11:14:30 AM »

I do wonder what Biden will do if/when The Hauge comes back with a ruling demanding the fighting stop.

Israel will absolutely ignore it, but Biden doesn't have to.
SnowLabrador
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5462 on: January 22, 2024, 12:59:56 PM »

I do wonder what Biden will do if/when The Hauge comes back with a ruling demanding the fighting stop.

He will ignore it. He's the weakest President we've ever had. Say what you will about Trump, but when he wanted to do something, he let nothing stand in his way.
Open Source Intelligence
United States
« Reply #5463 on: January 22, 2024, 01:04:03 PM »
« Edited: January 22, 2024, 01:14:43 PM by Open Source Intelligence »

He will ignore it. He's the weakest President we've ever had. Say what you will about Trump, but when he wanted to do something, he let nothing stand in his way.

The International Criminal Court is a paper tiger with no real power if the people (or countries in this case) that have real power don't want them to have any. If you're a judge with no enforcement power, are you really a judge? Domestically, judges require cops to do the dirty work for them for the judges to have their power recognized. If you want to have a real ICC with real power, you give them forces under their control that can go into countries and extricate individuals as required, which will never happen.

I've always seen the ICC as a Kellogg-Briand Pact. Nice idea in theory. Doesn't work in real life.
Dan the Roman
liberalrepublican
United States

« Reply #5464 on: January 22, 2024, 01:25:39 PM »

They came back with a similar ruling on Russia which Moscow of course ignored. So I fully expect the Chinese and Russian judges to throw the hypocrisy back in the West's faces.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #5465 on: January 22, 2024, 02:03:29 PM »
« Edited: January 22, 2024, 02:08:08 PM by Vosem »

Interestingly, courts in the US do have to ignore it, but you are correct that foreign policy decisions are the prerogative of the President. It seems very clear like there's a general consensus, considering arms sales both from the US and its European allies, that support for the fighting will continue for the foreseeable future, and the US is disregarding lots of ICJ opinions all the time (it isn't disassembling its nuclear weapons, or returning many assets to Iran; its courts famously determined complying with the Avena case to be unconstitutional; it disregarded the provisional order not to execute Walter LaGrand; it disregarded a provisional order not to move its embassy to Jerusalem...etc. etc.). It has never faced any consequences for this and doesn't seem likely to in the future.

I think, fundamentally, not supporting Israel's war in Gaza is a very unpopular stance with the American public and is questionably compatible with being nationally electable. (You pretty much have to argue that people don't care about foreign policy, which is true to some extent, but, eh.) This extends not just to a majority of the Democratic Party but to substantial parts of its left fraction: Bernie Sanders distinctly fell in the polls in 2020 after voicing non-criticism of the Cuban government, even though he was fighting for votes in the leftmost quarter of our left-wing party. While support for Israel's war declined in the first two month, it's since stabilized at 60-65% of Americans believing the current level of support is good or insufficient (...and many of those in the remaining 35-40% of society are people with no opinion).

I also think the evidence of many decades is that the media highlighting Israeli methods of war probably increases support for Israel among the American electorate, and quite certainly does not hurt it. I think this is a flash of wisdom, but it's up to you what you think this actually says about American voters.

EDIT: Also, just as a fun tidbit -- the attorney who argued for Texas in Medellin, and so won the case determining that ICJ decisions are not binding on the United States, was the later-much-more-famous Ted Cruz.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5466 on: January 22, 2024, 02:29:44 PM »

Biden will continue to support our ally over a court that neither Israel nor the US accept the authority of.
Helsinkian
Finland

« Reply #5467 on: January 22, 2024, 02:37:48 PM »

Biden will continue to support our ally over a court that neither Israel nor the US accept the authority of.

Why is Israel participating in the proceedings by sending lawyers to argue on their behalf if they do not recognise the court's authority?
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5468 on: January 22, 2024, 02:51:23 PM »

Why is Israel participating in the proceedings by sending lawyers to argue on their behalf if they do not recognise the court's authority?

They normally wouldn't, but I think this case was so blatantly fraudulent that they felt the need to humiliate the kangaroo court in front of the world by debunking their evidence. This may not work in terms of the verdict, but it'll definitely work in terms of bolstering their support among their allies.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #5469 on: January 22, 2024, 03:41:39 PM »

Big news by the reputable journalist Barak Ravid. Israel has allegedly offered Hamas a two-month ceasefire in exchange for all the hostages. Would be perfect timing for a snap election in Israel too, but I won't hold my breath for Bibi to call one.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5470 on: January 22, 2024, 04:19:20 PM »

Hamas won't accept, and we'll continue to get anti-Israel protests throughout the United States demanding a "cease-fire" and blaming Israel (who offered a cease-fire) rather than Hamas (who rejected it) for there not being one.

Wanna know how I know this will happen?  Because, it's easy to forget, we already had a ceasefire shortly after Thanksgiving, and Hamas refused to release any more hostages and started attacking Israel again.

Not a single person, not a single organization, not a single protest or march or highway blockade or occupation of a Jewish student center, will call on Hamas to accept a cease-fire.  It will all continue to be Israel's, and solely Israel's, fault that this war continues.  The youth of this country will continue to operate under this premise that if a war has high civilian casualties, it's incumbent upon the winning party in the conflict to unilaterally and unconditionally end it and retreat.  A standard they don't apply to any other country, or any other conflict in world history.  A standard they invented solely so it could be applied to the Jewish country.
Devils30
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.06, S: -4.00

« Reply #5471 on: January 22, 2024, 04:34:28 PM »

Hamas won't accept, and we'll continue to get anti-Israel protests throughout the United States demanding a "cease-fire" and blaming Israel (who offered a cease-fire) rather than Hamas (who rejected it) for there not being one.

Wanna know how I know this will happen?  Because, it's easy to forget, we already had a ceasefire shortly after Thanksgiving, and Hamas refused to release any more hostages and started attacking Israel again.

Not a single person, not a single organization, not a single protest or march or highway blockade or occupation of a Jewish student center, will call on Hamas to accept a cease-fire.  It will all continue to be Israel's, and solely Israel's, fault that this war continues.  The youth of this country will continue to operate under this premise that if a war has high civilian casualties, it's incumbent upon the winning party in the conflict to unilaterally and unconditionally end it and retreat.  A standard they don't apply to any other country, or any other conflict in world history.  A standard they invented solely so it could be applied to the Jewish country.

The leftists and their Arab academic allies are on a mission to destroy the Democratic Party in 2024.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #5472 on: January 22, 2024, 04:39:58 PM »

Hamas have released propaganda denying atrocities on October 7:

https://www.jpost.com/israel-hamas-war/article-783233
Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

« Reply #5473 on: January 22, 2024, 04:55:49 PM »

A teenager US citizen has been murdered in the West Bank

GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #5474 on: January 22, 2024, 06:50:49 PM »

The leftists and their Arab academic allies are on a mission to destroy the Democratic Party in 2024.

Anyone genuinely believing this should seek a psychologist
Pages: 1 ... 214 215 216 217 218 [219] 220 221 222 223 224 ... 314  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies