Israel-Gaza war
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 12, 2024, 08:40:31 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Israel-Gaza war
« previous next »
Thread note
MODERATOR WARNING: Any kind of inappropriate posts, including support for indiscriminate killing of civilians, and severe personal attacks against other posters will not be tolerated.

Pages: 1 ... 213 214 215 216 217 [218] 219 220 221 222 223 ... 327
Author Topic: Israel-Gaza war  (Read 234785 times)
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5425 on: January 20, 2024, 05:08:02 PM »

They don't have memory, they're just blinded by hatred

Imagine actually believing this Roll Eyes

So satellite images are part of the Hamas propaganda machine now?
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5426 on: January 20, 2024, 05:14:52 PM »

What do you not find believable? CNN is sensationalist but I'm not seeing the lie here..? Enlighten me.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #5427 on: January 20, 2024, 05:15:35 PM »
« Edited: January 20, 2024, 05:53:01 PM by Vosem »

Israel has come to a fork in the road:

In Strategic Bind, Israel Weighs Freeing Hostages Against Destroying Hamas
Some Israeli commanders said the government’s two main goals were mutually incompatible. To eradicate Hamas, the military would have to engage in a lengthy war that would most likely cost the hostages’ lives.

Given the general incompetence with which Israel under Netanyahu has waged its war against Hamas from the outset (dooming the prospect of destroying that vile organization), they should concentrate on getting the remaining hostages freed.  

If they let Hamas survive for the sake of the hostages, that is the same as conceding defeat to Hamas.

They need to take into account not only the current hostages but also all other Israeli civilians who would be subject to Hamas brutality in the future if Hamas is allowed to survive in any meaningful capacity.

They are not going to be able to destroy Hamas anyway, not given the way they have been trying to do it so far, and certainly not without continued support from the United States which is starting to erode.  It is a crying shame, but I think Israel missed its moment.  

Why won't they be able to destroy Hamas fighting like this? How else can you destroy an organization which has fortified a city?*

Israel can't sustain an operation like this without outside support, primarily from the United States.  If you are losing the public relations war here, it is only a matter of time before you lose militarily as well.  We learned that hard lesson after the 1968 Tet offensive.  And they are losing the PR war.

But I don't think they are. Pretty much every poll shows a majority (or a very large plurality) of Americans agreeing that the current Israeli military operation either is proportional or is insufficiently kinetic; in fact in most polls which ask the question the fraction of Americans that don't think Israel has done enough is comparable to the fraction which thinks it has done too much. (And most of these are polls of all Americans: polls of voters usually have significantly larger fractions supporting Israel, to the point that we can be confident that among voters more think they are not doing enough than doing too much. Of course, a substantial part of the reason for this is that voters are very old, with the median American voter in their mid-50s.)

Even more generally, there's a narrative that Israel tends to lose support in the West during periods of armed conflict because of its methods of war, and I think this is extremely unsupported either by historic or current polling data.  

(And in what way is support from the US going to erode?

I doubt it has gotten any better since then:

US public support for Israel drops; majority backs a ceasefire, Reuters/Ipsos shows

The fraction of Americans who want to increase support to Israel is at an all-time high; the fraction which thinks current support is acceptable or insufficient is 62%. This poll shows a higher fraction wanting to increase military aid, with the total for keeping it where it is or increasing it at 60%. Harvard/Harris has a weird phrasing but 65% say the US should "support" the Israeli war on Hamas.

Quinnipiac tries to spin this a bit, but every poll they've conducted has a comfortable national plurality of Americans supporting the Israeli methods used in Gaza. (Based on other polling, like from Harvard/Harris, my guess is that some fraction of those disapproving think that the methods are not harsh enough).

All of these polls are from no earlier than the second half of December. In general, I think everybody who thought the war and the methods used were justified around a month in is continuing to think so.

All of the major congressional leaders remain committed to hugely increasing US military aid to Israel in the next budget. I don't think US government support for the current conflict has even actually peaked.)

Tell that to the House Republican Conference.  Evidently they view both Israel and Ukraine as expendable and subordinate to their overring interest over the US/Mexico border, and carrying water for Donald Trump.  

It is absolutely fair to note that military aid may be jeopardized because the House Republican Conference is very incompetent, and it is not their top priority. But that doesn't mean that they oppose it in principle.

An institution that was occupied by the apartheid state now demolished to history, just as with the villages  that were torn apart from the hostile Zionist forces in 1948. This is somehow acceptable to Israel apologist because it somehow anti-semitic to question anything about that nation.

I think the point of stuff like this (as with the demolition of the building that was Hamas's Supreme Court) is to demonstrate that an evil way of being will blink out of existence at the war's end. The justice system set up by Hamas, which was anti-Zionist to its core, will not continue to exist. The education system set up by Hamas*, which was anti-Zionist to its core, will also not continue to exist. Similarly during the denazification of Germany buildings whose architectural style was considered Nazi, or which had symbolic value to Nazism, were destroyed (although ones judged to have real artistic merit, like the Reichstag or the Völkerschlachtdenkmal, were spared).

If the building was used by a university to promote opposing Zionism, then I am not sorry to see it go. The future of Palestinian nationalism must not be anti-Zionist.

*Well, the UNRWA, but the distinction between them can be elided for most purposes.
patzer
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -3.48

« Reply #5428 on: January 20, 2024, 05:18:50 PM »

It is known that Hamas have executed Israeli hostages- obviously the IDF is going to search for their remains so that they can be returned to their families in Israel.

Not that that will stop people with an irrational hatred for Israel from deciding that this is yet another thing they can bash Israel over.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #5429 on: January 20, 2024, 05:38:52 PM »

It is known that Hamas have executed Israeli hostages- obviously the IDF is going to search for their remains so that they can be returned to their families in Israel.

Not that that will stop people with an irrational hatred for Israel from deciding that this is yet another thing they can bash Israel over.

Excuse me? If you're going to mischaracterise me, at least put more effort into it that Vosem does.
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5430 on: January 20, 2024, 05:45:39 PM »

Certainly she's not a dangerous terrorist

This is so awful. I wish there was something we in the West could do to help.
Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5431 on: January 20, 2024, 06:29:43 PM »
« Edited: January 20, 2024, 06:35:07 PM by Velasco »

Imagine that you were able to face reality and elaborate an argument

We can exert pressure on our governments and representatives and hope something changes. Nothing will be achieved remaining silent

Comrade Funk
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -5.91

P P P

« Reply #5432 on: January 20, 2024, 06:34:30 PM »

Netanyahu already sh**t on Biden's "two state" convo. Ofc Biden, being the coward he is, won't do anything to counter this.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5433 on: January 20, 2024, 06:41:59 PM »

If the building was used by a university to promote opposing Zionism, then I am not sorry to see it go. The future of Palestinian nationalism must not be anti-Zionist.

*Well, the UNRWA, but the distinction between them can be elided for most purposes.

Imagine being this full of arrogance, delusion, contempt, and hatred. But then, I suppose sentiments like this are utterly normalized in "the only democracy in the Middle East" Roll Eyes

Rogue state.
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5434 on: January 20, 2024, 06:43:41 PM »

We can exert pressure on our governments and representatives and hope something changes. Nothing will be achieved remaining silent

I do not get the sense that my elected representatives listen to me. I'll vote for Stein in November as an fu to Biden and the Democrats but, again, I can't help but feel that all of this is out of our hands.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #5435 on: January 20, 2024, 06:48:42 PM »
« Edited: January 20, 2024, 07:03:23 PM by Vosem »

Imagine being this full of arrogance, delusion, contempt, and hatred. But then, I suppose sentiments like this are utterly normalized in "the only democracy in the Middle East" Roll Eyes

Rogue state.

Literally what part of that do you find objectionable? That the UNRWA systematically collaborates with an anti-Zionist war effort and that the education system they run promotes anti-Zionism are both widely attested. Do you think conquest by force with genocidal goals is actually good?
Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

« Reply #5436 on: January 20, 2024, 07:08:09 PM »
« Edited: January 20, 2024, 07:26:28 PM by Velasco »

I do not get the sense that my elected representatives listen to me. I'll vote for Stein in November as an fu to Biden and the Democrats but, again, I can't help but feel that all of this is out of our hands.

Progressive Democrats are trying to do something,  but sadly they are a minority. It's a shame that Bernie Sanders couldn't win over the coward Joe Biden, but anyway something can be done by supporting local progressive candidates and fight the moral cowardice of the establishment Dems. Voting for Jill Stein is a wasted ballot, but honestly I don't know what would I do. There is not viable alternative to Joe Biden atm and the most likely outcome is that Donald Rump wins in November. Excellent news for the bloodthirsty Putin and Netanyahu. Last but not least, Trump is a global warming denialist.  Shame on Biden for paving the way to barbarism
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5437 on: January 20, 2024, 07:15:56 PM »

What do you not find believable? CNN is sensationalist but I'm not seeing the lie here..? Enlighten me.

I meant the fact that - if I am understanding it right - the tweet seems to be equating the destruction of cemeteries to the Holocaust.  That is an absurd, bizarre, and extremely offensive comparison.  It obviously sucks that some Palestinian cemeteries were destroyed, but to equate that property damage to the systematic mass murder of six million Jews can only be described as the product of a truly sick anti-Semitic mind.  Claiming this is straight out of the Holocaust is genuinely unhinged.  Straight out of the Holocaust would be if Israel was systematically trying to wipe out the entire Palestinian population (they very clearly are not) with death camps, gas chambers, forced sterilization, Einsatzgruppen-style death squads, etc, etc, etc.  

The person who made the tweet whose claim Velacso is uncritically latching onto is basically implying that tombstones at few cemeteries are of equivalent value to the lives of six million dead Jews, this is a wildly offensive and deeply anti-Semitic tweet (the same is true of Velasco’s post btw).  
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5438 on: January 20, 2024, 07:38:03 PM »

I meant the fact that - if I am understanding it right - the tweet seems to be equating the destruction of cemeteries to the Holocaust.  That is an absurd, bizarre, and extremely offensive comparison.  It obviously sucks that some Palestinian cemeteries were destroyed, but to equate that property damage to the systematic mass murder of six million Jews can only be described as the product of a truly sick anti-Semitic mind.  Claiming this is straight out of the Holocaust is genuinely unhinged.  Straight out of the Holocaust would be if Israel was systematically trying to wipe out the entire Palestinian population (they very clearly are not) with death camps, gas chambers, forced sterilization, Einsatzgruppen-style death squads, etc, etc, etc.  

The person who made the tweet whose claim Velacso is uncritically latching onto is basically implying that tombstones at few cemeteries are of equivalent value to the lives of six million dead Jews, this is a wildly offensive and deeply anti-Semitic tweet (the same is true of Velasco’s post btw).  

I agree that the Holocaust comparison is a bit hyperbolic, I thought you were referring to the actual destruction of the graveyards being a lie.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5439 on: January 20, 2024, 07:42:51 PM »
« Edited: January 20, 2024, 08:06:53 PM by Chancellor Tanterterg »

I agree that the Holocaust comparison is a bit hyperbolic, I thought you were referring to the actual destruction of the graveyards being a lie.

No, unfortunately, I absolutely believe Israel has destroyed some gravesites and obviously that should be condemned.  I just took very serious issue with the Holocaust comparison.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #5440 on: January 20, 2024, 07:46:07 PM »

No, unfortunately, I absolutely believe Israel has destroyed some grave sights and obviously that should be condemned.  I just took very serious issue with the Holocaust comparison.

The Holocaust comparison is completely nonsensical; it was a watershed moment in history that is rightfully held up as one of the worst crimes committed against humanity.

That said, none of these means we shouldn't demand a higher standard from Israel. I have always believe they have a right to exists as a sovereign state and homeland for the Jewish people, and I have no doubt my politics would be vastly different if I lived there. I'm no anti-Semite, despite some obvious bad-faith people trying to characterise me as one.
patzer
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #5441 on: January 20, 2024, 07:55:47 PM »

No, unfortunately, I absolutely believe Israel has destroyed some grave sights and obviously that should be condemned.  I just took very serious issue with the Holocaust comparison.

It's almost certain that what happened is Israel attempting to find the bodies of hostages executed by Hamas so that they can be returned to their families- and of course the only way of finding them would be the exhumation of graves.

Why should that be condemned?
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5442 on: January 20, 2024, 08:09:02 PM »

No, unfortunately, I absolutely believe Israel has destroyed some grave sights and obviously that should be condemned.  I just took very serious issue with the Holocaust comparison.

It's almost certain that what happened is Israel attempting to find the bodies of hostages executed by Hamas so that they can be returned to their families- and of course the only way of finding them would be the exhumation of graves.

That’s just your own personal speculation, no?  I don’t see how you can be so sure this was the case.  
patzer
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #5443 on: January 20, 2024, 08:25:34 PM »

No, unfortunately, I absolutely believe Israel has destroyed some grave sights and obviously that should be condemned.  I just took very serious issue with the Holocaust comparison.

That’s just your own personal speculation, no?  I don’t see how you can be so sure this was the case.  

Occam's razor. We know that Hamas has killed hostages. We know that hostages' families would most likely want their remains to be returned home. Hamas has not returned those remains to Israel. We know that the most likely place to find a dead body is, in general, a grave.

And we now know that the IDF has been digging up graves.

Sure, they have not explicitly stated their motive in doing so but I think the combination of facts makes it quite obvious?
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5444 on: January 20, 2024, 08:34:49 PM »

Occam's razor. We know that Hamas has killed hostages. We know that hostages' families would most likely want their remains to be returned home. Hamas has not returned those remains to Israel. We know that the most likely place to find a dead body is, in general, a grave.

Sure, they have not explicitly stated their motive in doing so but I think the combination of facts makes it quite obvious?

I could very easily see some soldiers simply doing this because they’re pissed off tbh.  If it’s as you say, then Israel could clear this up by simply saying so.  That they haven’t (at least afaik) is quite telling.
Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

« Reply #5445 on: January 20, 2024, 08:39:04 PM »
« Edited: January 20, 2024, 08:46:32 PM by Velasco »

The Holocaust comparison is completely nonsensical; it was a watershed moment in history that is rightfully held up as one of the worst crimes committed against humanity.

That said, none of these means we shouldn't demand a higher standard from Israel. I have always believe they have a right to exists as a sovereign state and homeland for the Jewish people, and I have no doubt my politics would be vastly different if I lived there. I'm no anti-Semite, despite some obvious bad-faith people trying to characterise me as one.

I'm sorry to say Mr X. Is making a dishonest distortion of the meaning of that tweet posted by Sasha Senderovich, author of "How the Soviet Jew Was Made".

Saying "the destruction of cemeteries is the stuff of nightmares of Jewish collective memory" is not meant to equate those desecrations to the six million Jews dead. Senderivich is simply arguing the destruction of cemeteries in Gaza implies that the Israelis perpetrating these actions have lost the memory of the atrocities perpetrated during the Holocaust. In other words, these actions are disrespectful to that collective memory.

Also, saying that any coverage not favorable to Israel’s actions is sensationalist won't make his undefensible claims acceptable
patzer
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #5446 on: January 20, 2024, 08:56:03 PM »

I could very easily see some soldiers simply doing this because they’re pissed off tbh.  If it’s as you say, then Israel could clear this up by simply saying so.  That they haven’t (at least afaik) is quite telling.

Unfortunately I expect most of the anti-Israel people would still be heavily critical of this action regardless of the motive. Not to mention they'd accuse the IDF of lying about their motives if the bodies of hostages weren't found- so I expect the IDF would probably not want to issue a statement until a hostage's remains are actually found.

I can't see how pissed-off soldiers could end up actually getting spades and digging up graves without direct instructions from above to do so. Soldiers taking actions that aren't in line with direct orders tend to take the form of spur of the moment actions (e.g. Elor Azaria's shooting of an already-disarmed terrorist). Not premeditated decisions to go and look for spades so they can spend hours digging up graves for fun.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5447 on: January 20, 2024, 08:56:16 PM »
« Edited: January 20, 2024, 09:56:53 PM by Chancellor Tanterterg »

I'm sorry to say Mr X. Is making a dishonest distortion of the meaning of that tweet posted by Sasha Senderovich, author of "How the Soviet Jew Was Made".

Saying "the destruction of cemeteries is the stuff of nightmares of Jewish collective memory" is not meant to equate those desecrations to the six million Jews dead. Senderivich is simply arguing the destruction of cemeteries in Gaza implies that the Israelis perpetrating these actions have lost the memory of the atrocities perpetrated during the Holocaust. In other words, these actions are disrespectful to that collective memory.

Also, saying that any coverage not favorable to Israel’s actions is sensationalistwon't make his undefensible claims acceptable

Dude, he explicitly made the Holocaust comparison in his tweet (“straight out of the history of the Holocaust”).  

As for the bolded part, show me a single post where I have ever said that.
Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

« Reply #5448 on: January 20, 2024, 09:07:06 PM »

Either you have reading comprehension issues, or you are being overtly dishonest. You are going too far distorting the statements of other people, Mr X. That's not acceptable. You resort to such tactics because you find yourself in an indefensible position alongside Netanyahuand his Kahanist friends. That's truly sad
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5449 on: January 20, 2024, 09:56:18 PM »
« Edited: January 20, 2024, 10:20:16 PM by Chancellor Tanterterg »

Either you have reading comprehension issues, or you are being overtly dishonest. You are going too far distorting the statements of other people, Mr X. That's not acceptable. You resort to such tactics because you find yourself in an indefensible position alongside Netanyahuand his Kahanist friends. That's truly sad

Please show me a single post where I have ever said I supported Netanyahu, supported the Kahanist lunatics, or said that any and all media criticism of Israel is automatically sensationalist.  And while you’re at it, if you disagree with me then please respond to what I’ve actually said rather than making dishonest personal attacks.

Also, calling me pro-Netanyahu is especially laughable given that, since I practice Reform Judaism, Netanyahu (and much of Likud, for that matter) do not even consider me Jewish and want to revoke right of return for Reform Jews with no exceptions.  I’ve also literally been criticizing Netanyahu for his policies towards the Palestinians since before you started posting on Atlas.  

Lastly, Kahanist?  Really?  WTF is wrong with you?  I haven’t accused you of being a Hamas supporter, so kindly show me the same courtesy and spare me that BS.  You know better!  Respond to what I’ve actually said.  Don’t falsely accuse folks you disagree with of being terrorist supporters.  It is beyond vile!  Incidentally, my fiancé is an agnostic from an otherwise Catholic family, so I’m pretty sure actual Kahanists would at best not consider me a real Jew and at worst want to see me dead in a ditch for being in a relationship with someone who isn’t Jewish.
Pages: 1 ... 213 214 215 216 217 [218] 219 220 221 222 223 ... 327  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies