Israel-Gaza war
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 07:23:45 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Israel-Gaza war
« previous next »
Thread note
MODERATOR WARNING: Any kind of inappropriate posts, including support for indiscriminate killing of civilians, and severe personal attacks against other posters will not be tolerated.

Pages: 1 ... 117 118 119 120 121 [122] 123 124 125 126 127 ... 313
Author Topic: Israel-Gaza war  (Read 223396 times)
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3025 on: October 26, 2023, 06:32:56 PM »

Totally unserious country.

Tribalism will make people create excuses for the wildest stuff they wouldn’t even think about doing otherwise, like acting Orban type of politics are funny if they come from Israel.

I mean this is true, but your tribalism leads you to believe that imperialism isn't real if it comes from Russia. So I wouldn't laugh too much.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #3026 on: October 26, 2023, 06:36:30 PM »

I must say that my interest in the conflict has significantly decreased, since it just appears to be a big, huge, insane, convoluted mess.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3027 on: October 26, 2023, 06:44:24 PM »

So Hamas claims 50 hostagees are dead from air strikes. We know there were around 200. It is pretty likely Hamas is lying but if 50 hostages are dead already it suggests a certain degree of precision from air strikes which is accurately hitting Hamas terrorists.
Jingizu
Rookie
Antarctica

« Reply #3028 on: October 26, 2023, 06:59:49 PM »

Just from keeping an eye on Wikipedia’s news I can tell that Bibi and the Unity Government are badly losing the information war. They should take direction from the Ukrainians if they have any competence left. Assuming they can stop shooting themselves in the d!ck, which I doubt they can.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3029 on: October 26, 2023, 09:48:15 PM »

As yet another tragedy continues to unfold in the Middle East, I can’t help but think of how both Palestinians (initially, then continuing) and Israelis (later, also continuing) could’ve made different decisions that could’ve avoided this. If Arafat hadn’t rejected Clinton’s offer and launched the Second Intifada…if Israel had never elected Bibi Netanyahu in the first place…and so much more.  Cry

And don't forget if rabin hadn't been killed
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #3030 on: October 27, 2023, 01:41:48 AM »
« Edited: October 27, 2023, 01:46:22 AM by Meclazine for Israel »

Update from the Holy Lands.

PBS News Hour

https://youtu.be/CTx8wEmzHgg?t=874

Foreign Minister of Iran, Hossein Amir-Abdollahian, in a speech to the UN in New York City said “Hamas is ready to release the civilian hostages”.

Hossein also showed a level of annoyance with the US as President Biden continues to support Israel.

“US will not be 'spared the fire’“ Hossein was quoted as saying.

In the report on the ground from PBS, Thomas White, an Australian in Gaza working as Director of UNRWA, said that fuel is next to running out for his aid operations in Gaza.

ABC.net.au

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-10-27/israel-gaza-updates-gaza-health-reports-7000-deaths-in-document/103029230

The Gaza media are now under a ‘credibility-threat’ following the US President, Joe Biden, casting doubt on death toll numbers in Gaza.

In Australia, the Jewish population has staged an interesting protest in Melbourne highlighting kidnapped babies and children by Hamas.

The strollers each represented a child who had been taken hostage by Hamas.(ABC News: Rudy De Santis)

Al Jazeera

Al Jazeera, which is now essentially a ‘Hamas mouthpiece’ has taken a very dim view of Biden’s comments running it as their top story.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2023/10/26/appalling-why-has-biden-cast-doubt-on-the-palestinian-death-count

‘United States President Joe Biden cast doubt over the figures, saying that he has “no confidence in the number that the Palestinians are using”.

“I have no notion that the Palestinians are telling the truth about how many people are killed,” Biden said on Wednesday.’

The mood amongst Gazan analysts on Al Jazeera has turned very pessimistic.

Tamer Qarmout, Assistant Professor at Doha Institute for Graduate Studies told Al Jazeera yesterday he predicts a total explosion of refugees emanating from the southern Gaza border at Rafah.

“I expect the worst” he said. He followed up with saying the Israeli’s are gearing up for a systematic movement south of all Gazan’s displaced from their homeland.

Tamer put this down to the severe lack of aid coming through the border and the continued aerial bombing from Israel.

Right on cue, Israel continued with their intense bombing on Gaza in the last 24 hours.

Gaza – 26 October 2023 (Getty Images)
Jingizu
Rookie
Antarctica

« Reply #3031 on: October 27, 2023, 02:33:42 AM »

As yet another tragedy continues to unfold in the Middle East, I can’t help but think of how both Palestinians (initially, then continuing) and Israelis (later, also continuing) could’ve made different decisions that could’ve avoided this. If Arafat hadn’t rejected Clinton’s offer and launched the Second Intifada…if Israel had never elected Bibi Netanyahu in the first place…and so much more.  Cry

That’s one of the huge ones, yes  Cry
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #3032 on: October 27, 2023, 03:14:54 AM »

They always talk about how you can't let the terrorists win, but it's pretty clear that the terrorist Yigal Amir won.
Jingizu
Rookie
Antarctica

« Reply #3033 on: October 27, 2023, 03:19:13 AM »

They always talk about how you can't let the terrorists win, but it's pretty clear that the terrorist Yigal Amir won.

At the time, I thought it was a troubling potential sign for the future in Israel. An understatement by several orders of magnitude.
oldtimer
Greece

« Reply #3034 on: October 27, 2023, 07:12:28 AM »

I must say that my interest in the conflict has significantly decreased, since it just appears to be a big, huge, insane, convoluted mess.

"Always was"
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #3035 on: October 27, 2023, 10:46:11 AM »

Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3036 on: October 27, 2023, 11:00:02 AM »

It is a testament to American influence (through President Biden) that Israel is still holding back from a full-scale invasion of Gaza, even after all this time since the initial massacres of October 7th by Hamas militants.  How long has it been -three weeks now?  
Angel of Death
« Reply #3037 on: October 27, 2023, 11:07:14 AM »

It is a testament to American influence (through President Biden) that Israel is still holding back from a full-scale invasion of Gaza, even after all this time since the initial massacres of October 7th by Hamas militants.  How long has it been -three weeks now?

Not everything is always (entirely) about the US.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3038 on: October 27, 2023, 11:15:57 AM »
« Edited: October 27, 2023, 11:19:39 AM by Frodo »

It is a testament to American influence (through President Biden) that Israel is still holding back from a full-scale invasion of Gaza, even after all this time since the initial massacres of October 7th by Hamas militants.  How long has it been -three weeks now?

I have no doubt there are internal doubts within Israel about going in guns blazing into Gaza, but that hardly contradicts what I just said.  The fact we are Israel's single greatest ally, and that President Biden made an unambiguous statement of support to Israel immediately after that fateful day backed with aid are the major reasons why Israel is heeding our advice to hold back.  We are the only power in the world they trust.   
Comrade Funk
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -5.91

P P P

« Reply #3039 on: October 27, 2023, 11:24:27 AM »

In this case, a lot of it is
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #3040 on: October 27, 2023, 12:11:09 PM »

54 of the hostages, one quarter of all, are Thai, agricultural workers from the Kibbutzim.

This is completely irrelevant to the broader conflict, but that surprised me: i always thought kibbutzim were basically self-sustaining enterprises.
Logical

« Reply #3041 on: October 27, 2023, 12:31:32 PM »

The end of the beginning
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #3042 on: October 27, 2023, 01:31:43 PM »
« Edited: October 27, 2023, 02:03:03 PM by Hnv1 »

I'm not sure this is the full beginning, as the logical move of severing Gaza City from the south via Wadi Gaza is not happening atm. I think this a divisional sized recon in force, or in mob terms a shakedown of Hamas and Qatar to speed up the hostage deal or else.

Edit: I retract this comment. we have confirmation of movement north of Deir El Balah
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #3043 on: October 27, 2023, 01:41:15 PM »

IDF announces expansion of ground operation in Gaza after heavy round of airstrikes

The Israel Defense Forces (IDF) is “expanding ground operations” in the Gaza Strip, IDF spokesman Rear Admiral Daniel Hagari announced Friday, as intense airstrikes rocked the besieged enclave and with communications links reportedly severed.

Gaza residents told CNN the strikes were the most intense they have experienced since Israel began to retaliate against Hamas’ October 7 terror attack nearly three weeks ago.

A CNN team on the ground in southern Israel, close to the border with Gaza, reported a series of large explosions rocking Gaza City in the north of the enclave, as well as “unusual, intense and sustained” military activity for the past couple of hours. A huge wall of heavy smoke that lasted 15 to 30 minutes also blew from Gaza into southern Israel earlier Friday evening.

Jawwal, which provides mobile service to the Gaza Strip, said in a statement Friday “the intense bombardment in the past hour has resulted in the destruction of all remaining international routes connecting Gaza with the outside world,” leading to a “complete interruption of telecommunications services.”

https://www.cnn.com/2023/10/27/middleeast/israel-gaza-ground-operations-airstrike-intl/index.html
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #3044 on: October 27, 2023, 01:53:08 PM »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2023/10/27/us-urging-israel-rethinkg-gaza-ground-invasion/

"U.S. urges Israel against Gaza ground invasion, pushes surgical campaign"

jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3045 on: October 27, 2023, 02:23:48 PM »

Many Twitter sources seems to indicate that this is the direction of the IDF offensive

Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #3046 on: October 27, 2023, 02:32:35 PM »

How stupid do they think we are? This is video game exposition.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3047 on: October 27, 2023, 02:44:14 PM »

https://www.cnn.com/middleeast/live-news/israel-hamas-war-gaza-news-10-27-23/index.html

"White House won't say if Israel notified US in advance of IDF's announcement of expanded operations"

Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #3048 on: October 27, 2023, 04:50:16 PM »

I'm not sure this is the full beginning, as the logical move of severing Gaza City from the south via Wadi Gaza is not happening atm. I think this a divisional sized recon in force, or in mob terms a shakedown of Hamas and Qatar to speed up the hostage deal or else.

Edit: I retract this comment. we have confirmation of movement north of Deir El Balah

BBC News reports that hostage negotiations have been suspended:

I have been hearing over the course of the day that negotiations between the two sides had been taking place and were making progress - that they had been discussing the possible release of hostages, and perhaps a humanitarian pause in the fighting over the next few days.

The talks had stalled in the afternoon over what seemed to be some minor details, and since the announcement of Israel’s new offensive, it appears they have stopped.

With Israeli tanks and troops set to enter Gaza, there doesn’t appear to be much hope they will pick up again while this offensive is going on.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #3049 on: October 27, 2023, 05:34:25 PM »

Police have closed Al-Aqsa Mosque. Terrifying possibility that the Israeli right might want to pull the trigger on the fever dream of building the Third Temple.
Pages: 1 ... 117 118 119 120 121 [122] 123 124 125 126 127 ... 313  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies