Israel-Gaza war
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 10:15:31 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Israel-Gaza war
« previous next »
Thread note
MODERATOR WARNING: Any kind of inappropriate posts, including support for indiscriminate killing of civilians, and severe personal attacks against other posters will not be tolerated.

Pages: 1 ... 86 87 88 89 90 [91] 92 93 94 95 96 ... 314
Author Topic: Israel-Gaza war  (Read 223643 times)
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2250 on: October 15, 2023, 09:42:59 AM »

What's the point in seeking revenge on innocent people? I've seen inflammatory videos with calls to "erase" the "animals". Meanwhile settlers and the IDF have killed more than 50 Palestinians in the West Bank during the last week, according to B'Tselem. The worst is yet to come

*Looks at profile*

Retweets of Jackson Hinkle, TheGrayZone staffers and Scott ing Ritter.

Yeah, I totally believe him.

off with this sh**t.
Yeah we need to be careful of who we promote
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2251 on: October 15, 2023, 10:05:00 AM »

In Southern Gaza only, to encourage people to move south. I don’t know whether there will be enough capacity for everyone there, but it will probably suffice for drinking water if the farmers are willing (or coerced by locals) to take a hit.

This is still much better than the status quo ante.

Humans need about 3 or 4 litres of water per day just for drinking. The World Health Organisation recommends a minimum of 100 litres a day per person for drinking, cooking, bathing, washing etc. Israel was using about twice that, Gaza was at 88 litres.

https://reliefweb.int/report/occupied-palestinian-territory/water-gaza-scarce-polluted-and-mostly-unfit-use

The average American consumption is over 300 litres a day, for point of comparison.

So, basically, since cooking and drinking will need prioritising, there's going to be a lot of smelly Gazans in need of a shave soon.

There's also religious issues here - the ritual ablutions required for prayer. There is an alternative to using water in cases such as this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tayammum
Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

« Reply #2252 on: October 15, 2023, 10:11:11 AM »
« Edited: October 15, 2023, 05:16:22 PM by Velasco »

*Looks at profile*

off with this sh**t.

For the record: I watched a video statement in this guy's profile and I don't endorse it, for the simple reason the right to self-defense does not justify targeting civilians. It would be inconsistent on my part criticizing Israel and condoning Hamas for the same behaviour. It's pretty obvious to me that Israel is the opressor and the Palestinian people is the victim of that opression, but in no way Hamas is the vehicle to put an end to occupation and apartheid.

Don't you ever seen tweeter profiles saying that retweet does not mean endorsement? I don't have a reason to believe this post is fake (it was retweeted by people I regard trustful). So far Israel's response has caused more than 2 thousand civilian casualties.

Unless you have evidence proving this is fake news, I ask you to pay respect for the innocent victims
Saint Milei
DeadPrez
Atlas Politician
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -7.91

« Reply #2253 on: October 15, 2023, 10:18:29 AM »

If Bibi and his assorted gang of bastards wants to get rid of the Palestinian inhabitants of Gaza for their genocidal vision of a "Second Nakba," then fine, by all means try it. But when the Gazans fire back in return, don't come crying and bitching to the collective West when the bodybags of IDF soldiers keeps rolling in.

This is not happening. We only gave Iraqis a 48 hour warning before invading and calling what we did in Iraq a genocide would be completely absurd

This is one of your worst atlas posts ever.
Saint Milei
DeadPrez
Atlas Politician
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #2254 on: October 15, 2023, 10:19:55 AM »

To all the posters that are being critical of Israel. What would you have done if you were Israel After the Hamas abducted/raped/decapitated a ton of israeli children ?

Death toll is terrible in Gaza but I genuinely don't see how Hamas shouldn't be entirely blamed for that.

I would not go in and genocide a group of people because of terrorists. Responding to Hamas by becoming Hamas isn't the answer.
You didn't reply to my question lol.

It's quite telling no one ever in this thread responded to me with a concrete plan about what they would be doing if they were Israel After that Hamas would have raped abducted Israeli women and beheaded babies.

Probably because none of us have actual intel and can't give you a 300 page report on our strategy.

And it told you what I wouldn't do: I wouldn't commit genocide. Also, I'm not responding to someone still mentioning beheading after that was debunked.
Saint Milei
DeadPrez
Atlas Politician
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #2255 on: October 15, 2023, 10:20:43 AM »

"what would you do?"

Yeah bro don't tell me you wouldn't go into Iraq after 911!
rc18
United Kingdom

« Reply #2256 on: October 15, 2023, 10:21:45 AM »

*Looks at profile*

off with this sh**t.

For the record: I watched a video statement in this guy's profile and I don't endorse it, for the simple reason the right to self-defense does not justify targetting civilians. It would be inconsistent on my part criticizing Israel and condoning Hamas for the same behaviour. It's pretty obvious to me that Israel is the opresor and the Palestinian people is the victim of that opression, but in no way Hamas is the vehicle to put an end to occupation and apartheid.

Don't you ever seen tweeter profiles saying that retweet does not mean endorsement? I don't have a reason to believe this post is fake (it was retweeted by people I regard trustful). So far Israel's response has caused more than 2 thousand civilian casualties.

Unless you have evidence proving this is fake news, I ask you to pay respect for the innocent victims

I see exactly what you are.
Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

« Reply #2257 on: October 15, 2023, 10:25:16 AM »
« Edited: October 15, 2023, 10:48:46 AM by Velasco »

*Looks at profile*

off with this sh**t.

For the record: I watched a video statement in this guy's profile and I don't endorse it, for the simple reason the right to self-defense does not justify targetting civilians. It would be inconsistent on my part criticizing Israel and condoning Hamas for the same behaviour. It's pretty obvious to me that Israel is the opresor and the Palestinian people is the victim of that opression, but in no way Hamas is the vehicle to put an end to occupation and apartheid.

I see exactly what you are.

I'm not going to tolerate personal attacks. If you don't have anything relevant to say, go outside and breathe some fresh air
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2258 on: October 15, 2023, 10:44:39 AM »

NOVA GREEN BREAKING ALERT

*** 2nd US Carrier Fleet rolls in ***

The U.S. will deploy a second aircraft carrier strike group near Israel, further bolstering its military presence in the Mediterranean amid concerns of an escalating conflict with Iran and Hezbollah.

U.S. Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin said that "The increases to U.S. force posture signal the United States' ironclad commitment to Israel’s security and our resolve to deter any state or non-state actor seeking to escalate this war."

https://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/2023-10-14/ty-article-live/

I would imagine that the carrier forces are there simply to deter any other neighboring nation from attacking Israel. US air forces will not take place in, for example, bombing the city of Gaza or endangering any Palestinian civilians.
redjohn
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.35, S: -4.17

P P P
« Reply #2259 on: October 15, 2023, 10:49:10 AM »

Seems the emerging U.S. position is that Israel's right to defend itself has limits. Airstrikes against civilian centers can be shrugged aside, but undeniable human rights abuses like removing safe access to water are unacceptable.

Regardless of your position, Israel does have a right to defend itself against terrorist activities, which is made difficult because of how Hamas operates. It does not, however, have carte blanche to ruin what's left of Gaza, and I'd argue that as the superior economic/militaristic/political force between the two states, Israel has a duty to build up Palestine as a partner if Israel has any long-term interest in regional peace and justice. What we're being shown now is that Israel does not have that interest, and is instead sprinting towards eliminating Palestine for good. So deeply devastating for people on both ends, while the ultimate victim still remains Palestine.
Senator Incitatus
AMB1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.06, S: 5.74

« Reply #2260 on: October 15, 2023, 11:07:45 AM »

"what would you do?"

What does Iraq have to do with 9/11? Or was this intended as a personal insult to another poster’s intelligence, implying they would confuse the two?
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

« Reply #2261 on: October 15, 2023, 11:46:51 AM »

"what would you do?"

What does Iraq have to do with 9/11? Or was this intended as a personal insult to another poster’s intelligence, implying they would confuse the two?

Mohammed Atta meeting with the Iraqi consulate in Prague right before 9/11?
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #2262 on: October 15, 2023, 11:52:58 AM »

"what would you do?"

I have said before that without hindsight I would have supported invading Iraq . I would have been a massive fan of George W Bush in late 2003 as well
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2263 on: October 15, 2023, 11:57:26 AM »

"what would you do?"

I have said before that without hindsight I would have supported invading Iraq . I would have been a massive fan of George W Bush in late 2003 as well

That's really not something to brag about.
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2264 on: October 15, 2023, 12:01:46 PM »

To all the posters that are being critical of Israel. What would you have done if you were Israel After the Hamas abducted/raped/decapitated a ton of israeli children ?

Death toll is terrible in Gaza but I genuinely don't see how Hamas shouldn't be entirely blamed for that.

I would not go in and genocide a group of people because of terrorists. Responding to Hamas by becoming Hamas isn't the answer.
You didn't reply to my question lol.

It's quite telling no one ever in this thread responded to me with a concrete plan about what they would be doing if they were Israel After that Hamas would have raped abducted Israeli women and beheaded babies.

Israel should securea slice of Gaza at a time (without indiscriminate attacks/bombing) then allow residents to return.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2265 on: October 15, 2023, 12:01:48 PM »

NOVA GREEN BREAKING ALERT

*** 2nd US Carrier Fleet rolls in ***

The U.S. will deploy a second aircraft carrier strike group near Israel, further bolstering its military presence in the Mediterranean amid concerns of an escalating conflict with Iran and Hezbollah.

U.S. Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin said that "The increases to U.S. force posture signal the United States' ironclad commitment to Israel’s security and our resolve to deter any state or non-state actor seeking to escalate this war."

https://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/2023-10-14/ty-article-live/

I would imagine that the carrier forces are there simply to deter any other neighboring nation from attacking Israel. US air forces will not take place in, for example, bombing the city of Gaza or endangering any Palestinian civilians.

So the plan is, we'll just stand by and let it happen, like the Soviet Army in August 1944?
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #2266 on: October 15, 2023, 12:06:15 PM »
« Edited: October 15, 2023, 12:10:31 PM by OSR stands with Israel »

"what would you do?"

That's really not something to brag about.

I am not bragging , just being honest that yes without hindsight I would have supported that blunder .

Most isolationists though would have opposed Lend Lease and entering WW2 prior to Pearl Harbor but most pretend they wouldn’t have . Just look how many times when you confront them on this point their argument is , you can’t compare them to the Nazis . That argument is absurd because the vast majority is isolationists in 1940 didn’t view the Nazis as any different than the German Empire so they should admit their ideology has flaws too .
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2267 on: October 15, 2023, 12:09:57 PM »

What's the point in seeking revenge on innocent people? I've seen inflammatory videos with calls to "erase" the "animals". Meanwhile settlers and the IDF have killed more than 50 Palestinians in the West Bank during the last week, according to B'Tselem. The worst is yet to come

Israel long wanted to get rid of the Palestinians.

This week’s event just provide Israel with the excuse to do so.
GALeftist
sansymcsansface
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -7.29, S: -9.48

P
« Reply #2268 on: October 15, 2023, 12:38:43 PM »

I'm glad Biden has finally grown a spine.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2269 on: October 15, 2023, 12:40:32 PM »

I'm glad Biden has finally grown a spine.

He's still incredibly biased, but at least he is not totally ignoring the plight of the Gazan people. Went from like an F to a low D.
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2270 on: October 15, 2023, 12:45:41 PM »

15-20 years from now, the American public would be wondering how the US became complicit in Israel’s war crimes.

I get to say with a straight face that, although it wasn’t a popular position then, I wasn’t one of those complicit Americans.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #2271 on: October 15, 2023, 12:54:22 PM »

15-20 years from now, the American public would be wondering how the US became complicit in Israel’s war crimes.

I get to say with a straight face that, although it wasn’t a popular position then, I wasn’t one of those complicit Americans.

15-20 years from now there will most likely be another large-scale terrorist attack motivated by Islamism somewhere in the First World which will re-radicalize everyone all over again. (Also, the US will be much more evangelical and very likely view the Israeli state more favorably than it does now in 15-20 years.)
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2272 on: October 15, 2023, 01:00:00 PM »

15-20 years from now there will most likely be another large-scale terrorist attack motivated by Islamism somewhere in the First World which will re-radicalize everyone all over again. (Also, the US will be much more evangelical and very likely view the Israeli state more favorably than it does now in 15-20 years.)

I guess you haven’t heard, but the US is becoming less and less religious.

As an atheist, I will be in good company.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #2273 on: October 15, 2023, 01:00:01 PM »

Also, the US will be much more evangelical and very likely view the Israeli state more favorably than it does now in 15-20 years.

Irreligiosity is increasing every year. Wtf are you talking about?
Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

« Reply #2274 on: October 15, 2023, 01:04:41 PM »
« Edited: October 15, 2023, 01:47:33 PM by Velasco »

Seems the emerging U.S. position is that Israel's right to defend itself has limits. Airstrikes against civilian centers can be shrugged aside, but undeniable human rights abuses like removing safe access to water are unacceptable.

Regardless of your position, Israel does have a right to defend itself against terrorist activities, which is made difficult because of how Hamas operates. It does not, however, have carte blanche to ruin what's left of Gaza, and I'd argue that as the superior economic/militaristic/political force between the two states, Israel has a duty to build up Palestine as a partner if Israel has any long-term interest in regional peace and justice. What we're being shown now is that Israel does not have that interest, and is instead sprinting towards eliminating Palestine for good. So deeply devastating for people on both ends, while the ultimate victim still remains Palestine.

Few people would dispute that any country has a right to defend itself, but the problem with Israel's retaliatory attacks has been always the lack of proportionality. The magnitude and the scope of the Hamas raid on October 7 is unprecedented and shocked everybody. The far-right Israeli government was engaged in annexing the West Bank, inexplicably neglected the Gaza border and was taken by surprise. Since minute 1 government members and the president have displayed a rhetoric of vengeance that many people deem genocidal. They have abandoned the previous rhetoric of "surgical operations" in Gaza and have stated rxplicitly they want to turn all the enclave into rubble, putting destruction before precision. It's good news that Biden has achieved that Israel switches on the water supply in southern Gaza.  However, Israel should the have been warned that forcing a mass evacuation in northern Gaza is unacceptable and restrained from unleashing all its drstructive energy.

Other countries have experienced massive terror attacks in recent history. I'm thinking about 9/11 in NYC and the Madrid train bombings that took place in March 2004.  As a Spaniard, I'm proud of my government's response to the Madrid bombings, because I think it was effective and proportionate - that's the way how a democratic country should conduct itself.

This Hamas attack took place in the convoluted context of Israel-Palestine,  with its long history of conflicts and grievances. The response should be guided by the respect for the rules based order (international law) and the search of political solutions that address the root of the problems.  Neither Israel nor the West are going in that way, sadly
Pages: 1 ... 86 87 88 89 90 [91] 92 93 94 95 96 ... 314  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies