Israel-Gaza war
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 08:47:19 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Israel-Gaza war
« previous next »
Thread note
MODERATOR WARNING: Any kind of inappropriate posts, including support for indiscriminate killing of civilians, and severe personal attacks against other posters will not be tolerated.

Pages: 1 ... 85 86 87 88 89 [90] 91 92 93 94 95 ... 313
Author Topic: Israel-Gaza war  (Read 223492 times)
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2225 on: October 15, 2023, 12:46:28 AM »

This is not happening. We only gave Iraqis a 48 hour warning before invading and calling what we did in Iraq a genocide would be completely absurd

Why do you always make such ridiculous comparisons? The US-Iraq war was not an ethno-religious conflict.

If you do not want Israel to invade Gaza or bomb Gaza then what should they do.

I can only speak for myself, but invading and bombing Gaza with more reasonable rules of engagement is exactly what I want them to do. Do you genuinely not understand the difference?

OSR has chosen a side and is in search of a justification.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #2226 on: October 15, 2023, 12:59:27 AM »
« Edited: October 15, 2023, 01:14:35 AM by Meclazine for Israel »

I understand Israel has apparently bombed Aleppo and Damascus according to Reuters? Anyone know more about this?

Hitting military equipment on its way from Iran to the (soon to be established) northern front. Or at least that's what the Israelis are saying, and it makes sense and no one else is really denying it.

Yes. Hit the airports to reduce their ability to transport military gear from Iran.

Every day the word Iran keeps coming up, but no one is saying the word Egypt.

The Hamas mitary equiment is arriving from Egypt, but they have somehow avoided any media speculation about their role helping these terrorists.
Aurelius2
United States

« Reply #2227 on: October 15, 2023, 01:03:58 AM »

https://www.timesofisrael.com/liveblog_entry/idf-says-it-killed-hamas-commander-who-led-murderous-attacks-on-nirim-nir-oz/

The IDF has killed the Hamas commander who led the massacres in Nirim and Nir Oz on bloody October 7.

May his name be erased and his bones ground to dust.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2228 on: October 15, 2023, 01:43:39 AM »

https://www.timesofisrael.com/liveblog_entry/idf-says-it-killed-hamas-commander-who-led-murderous-attacks-on-nirim-nir-oz/

The IDF has killed the Hamas commander who led the massacres in Nirim and Nir Oz on bloody October 7.

May his name be erased and his bones ground to dust.

Meanwhile everyone else on the thread was wasting time, debating ancient grievances and I posted that the overwhelming majority of Hamas gunmen in the assault died on day 1 or 2.

Also recently posted how Israeli military has cross-hairs on any senior official, and even lower commanders part of the Nukhba Brigade.

The Israel Defense Forces says it has killed another commander in Hamas’s commando forces, who led the murderous attacks on the southern communities of Nirim and Nir Oz last weekend.

The IDF says Billal al-Qedra, the commander of the so-called Nukhba unit’s southern Khan Younis battalion, was killed in an airstrike following intelligence efforts by the Shin Bet security agency and Military Intelligence Directorate.

“He was responsible for the murderous raid in Kibbutz Nirim and Nir Oz,” the IDF says.

Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #2229 on: October 15, 2023, 02:00:34 AM »
« Edited: October 15, 2023, 02:10:15 AM by Meclazine for Israel »

Foreign Correspondent

Before the War

https://youtu.be/H7fG0FeVc1o

Some very interesting journalism that was put together, mainly concerning the West Bank settlements, before the onset of violence from Hamas.

Keep in mind this story started as a pro-Palestinian story from Australia's most left wing woke media. But regardless, if you take that wokey 'anti-Israel' bias with a grain of salt, it is still a very interesting story on the situation in Israel.

Coldstream
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -6.59, S: 1.20

P P
« Reply #2230 on: October 15, 2023, 02:31:14 AM »

If Bibi and his assorted gang of bastards wants to get rid of the Palestinian inhabitants of Gaza for their genocidal vision of a "Second Nakba," then fine, by all means try it. But when the Gazans fire back in return, don't come crying and bitching to the collective West when the bodybags of IDF soldiers keeps rolling in.

I really don’t think Israel is afraid of Hamas’s ability to conduct a conventional war. They may be very dangerous when dealing with children & festival goers, less so when facing a professional army.

There’s lots of reasons to discourage Israel, fearing retaliation isn’t one of them.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #2231 on: October 15, 2023, 03:09:52 AM »

To all the posters that are being critical of Israel. What would you have done if you were Israel After the Hamas abducted/raped/decapitated a ton of israeli children ?

Death toll is terrible in Gaza but I genuinely don't see how Hamas shouldn't be entirely blamed for that.

I would not go in and genocide a group of people because of terrorists. Responding to Hamas by becoming Hamas isn't the answer.
You didn't reply to my question lol.

It's quite telling no one ever in this thread responded to me with a concrete plan about what they would be doing if they were Israel After that Hamas would have raped abducted Israeli women and beheaded babies.
Epaminondas

« Reply #2232 on: October 15, 2023, 04:04:45 AM »

To all the posters that are being critical of Israel. What would you have done if you were Israel After the Hamas abducted/raped/decapitated a ton of israeli children ?

Death toll is terrible in Gaza but I genuinely don't see how Hamas shouldn't be entirely blamed for that.

I would not go in and genocide a group of people because of terrorists. Responding to Hamas by becoming Hamas isn't the answer.

"An eye for an eye leaves everyone blind" lol
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #2233 on: October 15, 2023, 04:48:21 AM »
« Edited: October 15, 2023, 05:11:45 AM by Meclazine for Israel »

It's quite telling no one ever in this thread responded to me with a concrete plan about what they would be doing if they were Israel After that Hamas would have raped abducted Israeli women and beheaded babies.

Gaza Attack Options - Retired US Brigadier General Mark Kimmitt

https://youtu.be/-1EO0LVLTeg

After watching that, you can see why the US are acting as a covering force with the US Naval Groups offshore.

If the US show up with any A-10 Warthog's, then watch this space.

There will be anywhere between 2-4 US nuclear submarines involved, some with 160 Tomahawk missiles.

No other actors will be able to distract Israel from Gaza whilst the US military sits just offshore.
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #2234 on: October 15, 2023, 04:52:45 AM »

If Bibi and his assorted gang of bastards wants to get rid of the Palestinian inhabitants of Gaza for their genocidal vision of a "Second Nakba," then fine, by all means try it. But when the Gazans fire back in return, don't come crying and bitching to the collective West when the bodybags of IDF soldiers keeps rolling in.

I really don’t think Israel is afraid of Hamas’s ability to conduct a conventional war. They may be very dangerous when dealing with children & festival goers, less so when facing a professional army.

There’s lots of reasons to discourage Israel, fearing retaliation isn’t one of them.

OP was very crass, but I think you underestimate how damaging an assymetrocal urban warfare could be for the land forces of the IDF. They are for sure one of the top forces in the world but there's a reason they disengaged from Gaza in the first place. Urban warfare is already a night mare in a normal city, then you add the underground highly dense city of Gaza to the equation. Israel has no real "good" options. Ideally it would pursue a further deepening of diplomacy to ensure Gulf states join them in cracking down on the Hamas leadership in exchange for a commitment to 2 state solution and softening the settler policy. With Ben Gvir and Smotritch still in government this ain't happening.
Coldstream
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2235 on: October 15, 2023, 04:57:55 AM »

OP was very crass, but I think you underestimate how damaging an assymetrocal urban warfare could be for the land forces of the IDF. They are for sure one of the top forces in the world but there's a reason they disengaged from Gaza in the first place. Urban warfare is already a night mare in a normal city, then you add the underground highly dense city of Gaza to the equation. Israel has no real "good" options. Ideally it would pursue a further deepening of diplomacy to ensure Gulf states join them in cracking down on the Hamas leadership in exchange for a commitment to 2 state solution and softening the settler policy. With Ben Gvir and Smotritch still in government this ain't happening.

It’s not going to be as easy as a pitched battle sure, but the IDF aren’t exactly going to be showing any restraint this time. I’d be surprised if they actually committed ground forces without first levelling good chunks of Gaza city to reduce some of the issues they’ve faced in the past.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2236 on: October 15, 2023, 05:24:35 AM »

After watching that, you can see why the US are acting as a covering force with the US Naval Groups offshore.

There will be anywhere between 2-4 US nuclear submarines involved, some with 160 Tomahawk missiles.

No other actors will be able to distract Israel from Gaza whilst the US military sits just offshore.
That's a good video.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2237 on: October 15, 2023, 06:33:19 AM »
« Edited: October 15, 2023, 06:43:53 AM by Silent Hunter »

Sometimes cities surrender without much of a fight - Kabul had a bigger population than the entire Strip and the Taliban were pretty much unopposed, having already defeated most of the loyalist forces or had them desert.

Russia also retreated from Kherson, which it had "annexed", of its own volition.

The Israelis are definitely not going to want a long occupation - the problem will be finding someone else to run the place for them. Fatah have lost a lot of support in recent years due to corruption. They're also too hostile for Israelis and not hostile enough for the Palestinians.

Jeremy Bowen from the BBC thinks the Israelis aren't ready to go in yet. They're firing artillery, but he's seen nothing that looks like an imminent ground offensive. One wonders what behind-the-scenes diplomacy is going on.
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #2238 on: October 15, 2023, 06:41:05 AM »

Sometimes cities surrender without much of a fight - Kabul had a bigger population than the entire Strip and the Taliban were pretty much unopposed, having already defeated most of the loyalist forces or had them desert.

Russia also retreated from Kherson, which it had "annexed", of its own volition.

The Israelis are definitely not going to want a long occupation - the problem

The two cities you mention weren't defended by a death cult.

As for the Israelis not wanting a long occupation - sure, Lapid was even suggesting handing the keys to the PA. But then Israeli policies have rendered the PA/Fatah a lame duck. Had they committed to an early two state solution and viable Palestinian state, this would be possible. Instead the Israeli Right defends their own weirdo death cult religious extremists with zero strategic direction while Meretz MKs were busy fighting terrorists. 
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #2239 on: October 15, 2023, 06:58:46 AM »

The two cities you mention weren't defended by a death cult. 

Germany in 1945 would be the classic example of urban warfare, where there was plenty of "death cultists". Once the Western Allies were across the Rhine, a lot of German cities fell pretty quickly.

The main thing slowing them down was arguably the sheer number of prisoners they were taking.

The Eastern Front was a different thing entirely, but after Hitler killed himself, Germany capitulated in under a week and  no serious resistance movement to Allied occupation materialised. The SS was too busy trying to not end up in the dock for war crimes.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #2240 on: October 15, 2023, 07:19:19 AM »
« Edited: October 15, 2023, 07:42:52 AM by Meclazine for Israel »

Kings and Generals

Israeli - Hamas War

https://youtu.be/9UTckJi7hQ4?t=118

Music adds a lot to the mood.

Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #2241 on: October 15, 2023, 07:32:21 AM »

That's a good video.

Yes. General Kimmitt makes it sound like Israel is surrounded on all sides by crazy Islamic terrorists.
Logical

« Reply #2242 on: October 15, 2023, 07:47:24 AM »

No need to go all the way back to WWII to find parallels when there are some very recent examples of brutal urban sieges. Grozny, Aleppo, Mosul, and Mariupol.
Coldstream
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2243 on: October 15, 2023, 08:04:45 AM »

The Ukrainians were far better armed than Hamas will be, but Russia flattened Mariupol all the same. The only difference is civilians in Mariupol had somewhere to run.
Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

« Reply #2244 on: October 15, 2023, 08:30:24 AM »

Israel's military is asking northern Gaza residents to flee south, but that part of the Strip is anything but a safe haven

Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2245 on: October 15, 2023, 08:42:08 AM »

Angel of Death
« Reply #2246 on: October 15, 2023, 08:59:30 AM »

This comes across as a (tasteless) "good cop, bad cop" routine.
Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

« Reply #2247 on: October 15, 2023, 09:02:56 AM »

What's the point in seeking revenge on innocent people? I've seen inflammatory videos with calls to "erase" the "animals". Meanwhile settlers and the IDF have killed more than 50 Palestinians in the West Bank during the last week, according to B'Tselem. The worst is yet to come

TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2248 on: October 15, 2023, 09:24:32 AM »

In Southern Gaza only, to encourage people to move south. I don’t know whether there will be enough capacity for everyone there, but it will probably suffice for drinking water if the farmers are willing (or coerced by locals) to take a hit.

This is still much better than the status quo ante.
rc18
United Kingdom

« Reply #2249 on: October 15, 2023, 09:37:41 AM »

What's the point in seeking revenge on innocent people? I've seen inflammatory videos with calls to "erase" the "animals". Meanwhile settlers and the IDF have killed more than 50 Palestinians in the West Bank during the last week, according to B'Tselem. The worst is yet to come

*Looks at profile*

Retweets of Jackson Hinkle, TheGrayZone staffers and Scott ing Ritter.

Yeah, I totally believe him.

off with this sh**t.
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 87 88 89 [90] 91 92 93 94 95 ... 313  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies