Israel-Gaza war
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 31, 2024, 10:58:48 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Israel-Gaza war
« previous next »
Thread note
MODERATOR WARNING: Any kind of inappropriate posts, including support for indiscriminate killing of civilians, and severe personal attacks against other posters will not be tolerated.

Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52 53 [54] 55 56 57 58 59 ... 312
Author Topic: Israel-Gaza war  (Read 221119 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1325 on: October 09, 2023, 02:10:40 PM »

Quote from:  link=topic=566181.msg9237056#msg9237056 date=1696877527 uid=12093
Thankfully the church has confirmed this news is false (see their latest post). If Jackson Hinkle posts something you can always assume the opposite is true anyway.

Thanks for the correction, sorry for the fake news guys.
Was Jackson Hinkle actually your source?

I don't think that's a fair question and I wasn't implying Crabcake got news from Hinkle (though, rare credit to him, he actually seems to have deleted his tweet saying the church was destroyed). It got picked up by a wide range of accounts — Partisangirl, a guy from Mint Press News, this Saudi guy, this Lebanese account, and a couple Palestinian sources, as well as Hinkle, a bunch of trad/statue accounts, and that QAnon lady who ran for Senate in Delaware. It's the sort of rumor that draws an immediate visceral reaction from many different communities and so spreads very quickly through a bunch of sources.
Yeah, none of those sound like trustworthy sources either. I guess just a lesson here as noted by crabcake about the "Elonification", and something I remind people of regularly (such as when red avatars post similar fake news or exaggerated agitprop from such accounts on USGD.)
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #1326 on: October 09, 2023, 02:17:24 PM »

Not going to happen. Hamas isn't sharing this without permission from Moscow anyway. More likely that Russia will actually use this information to try and pressure Israel to show "restraint".

There is no way Moscow didn't know about this Hamas/Iran operation beforehand in the first place.
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #1327 on: October 09, 2023, 02:23:10 PM »

A full siege of Gaza is unacceptable. We are in the fog of war, but the response needs to both consider civilian lives and be proportionate to any military objective. Even in these conditions, civilians should get humanitarian aid. Fighting against 'human animals' (inappropriate language imo) does not mean all morality and restraint goes out the window.

Law of Armed Conflict seems to only apply to one side here.

It's quite evident some people here value Jewish lives above Arab ones.
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1328 on: October 09, 2023, 02:28:48 PM »

Unpopular Opinion:
Reason Hamas attacked Israel: Former President Trump, Morgan Ortagus and Mike Pompeo. Garbarge in, garbarge out with their "Abraham Accords" Clown Show!
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #1329 on: October 09, 2023, 02:32:56 PM »

Unpopular Opinion:
Reason Hamas attacked Israel: Former President Trump, Morgan Ortagus and Mike Pompeo. Garbarge in, garbarge out with their "Abraham Accords" Clown Show!
I can also write random words and act as if they form a coherent post.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #1330 on: October 09, 2023, 02:35:05 PM »

From 2019, before the current extreme violence but after several waves of Hamas rocket attacks that killed Israeli civilians:

I haven't made anything up.

AP reports that the Egyptian government repeatedly tried to warn Israel that Hamas was planning this invasion - that Netanyahu knew what was coming but still failed to stop it

Allies who share intelligence with Israel said security agencies were misreading reality.

An Egyptian intelligence official said Egypt, which often serves as a mediator between Israel and Hamas, had spoken repeatedly with the Israelis about “something big,” without elaborating.

He said Israeli officials were focused on the West Bank and played down the threat from Gaza. Netanyahu’s government is made up of supporters of Jewish West Bank settlers who have demanded a security crackdown in the face of a rising tide of violence there over the last 18 months.

“We have warned them an explosion of the situation is coming, and very soon, and it would be big. But they underestimated such warnings,” said the official, who spoke on condition of anonymity because he wasn’t authorized to discuss the content of sensitive intelligence discussions with the media.

There you have it, the Israeli people voted for Hamas.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1331 on: October 09, 2023, 02:36:37 PM »

I've already tossed out enough unpopular opinions, but I'll toss out one more and say that if Gaza doesn't return 100% of the American captives they currently hold, we'd be entirely within our rights to put American boots on the ground in Gaza, and the same is true for any other country whose people are currently held hostage by Palestine.

Of course it wouldn't look good, and we may be better off collaborating with the Israelis and having their army do the work.  But we shouldn't hold back when it comes to getting our people out.
WalterWhite
United States
Political Matrix
E: -9.35, S: -9.83

P
« Reply #1332 on: October 09, 2023, 02:37:20 PM »

Opposition parties in Israel must attack Netanyahu relentlessly on this next election.
Aurelius2
United States

« Reply #1333 on: October 09, 2023, 02:37:49 PM »

Unpopular Opinion:
You are deranged.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1334 on: October 09, 2023, 02:38:33 PM »

A full siege of Gaza is unacceptable. We are in the fog of war, but the response needs to both consider civilian lives and be proportionate to any military objective. Even in these conditions, civilians should get humanitarian aid. Fighting against 'human animals' (inappropriate language imo) does not mean all morality and restraint goes out the window.
Then how do you propose Israel respond, exactly? Hamas needs to be removed from power one way or another.

Actually he is making a good point in this sense -Hamas will likely go underground upon any invasion, so Israel will need to go on a 'hearts and minds' campaign to root them out.  So being cognizant of the welfare of Gazan civilians is in Israel's immediate interests, and will help them militarily.  Also, it will put to the test the claim made by some here that they are themselves hostages of Hamas (and other terrorist groups). 

Total wishful thinking.  0% chance of success with this approach.  And Israel knows it, they're not going to waste their time.  It's bombs away.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #1335 on: October 09, 2023, 02:40:18 PM »

Zelensky blames Russia

Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #1336 on: October 09, 2023, 02:40:20 PM »

https://www.wsj.com/articles/SB123275572295011847

Well known tankie publication the Wall Street Journal. Back in 2009.

It's evident Bibi and Hamas have been best of frenemies.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -4.78

P P P
« Reply #1337 on: October 09, 2023, 02:44:49 PM »

Zelensky blames Russia

That seems like fake news.

Sorry i don't trust Zelenskyy for his word here, and he frankly should shut up. It doesn't make his case look better.

If he has the data, release it.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #1338 on: October 09, 2023, 02:47:12 PM »

https://www.wsj.com/livecoverage/israel-hamas-gaza-rockets-attack-palestinians/card/u-s-can-t-easily-meet-israel-s-requests-for-ammo-official-says-STbBF5wjz3qW9goCt4bn

"U.S. Can't Easily Meet Israel's Requests for Ammo, Official Says"

Ukraine and Israel need to have a knife fight to see who gets the limited ammo the USA have left. 
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #1339 on: October 09, 2023, 02:50:12 PM »

Unpopular Opinion:

I loathe Trump and think the Abraham Accords were a mistake, but it's so stupid to blame him (or Biden) for this. Non-American countries have agency. Not everything that happens is because of us.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1340 on: October 09, 2023, 02:50:51 PM »

Zelensky blames Russia

That seems like fake news.

Sorry i don't trust Zelenskyy for his word here, and he frankly should shut up. It doesn't make his case look better.

If he has the data, release it.

It's clearly part of Ukraine's own informational strategy against Russia, not something that's intended to be a serious intervention on Israel-Palestine for its own sake. I don't blame Zelensky for taking this approach but I don't think we should be taking it too seriously.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1341 on: October 09, 2023, 02:51:24 PM »

https://www.wsj.com/livecoverage/israel-hamas-gaza-rockets-attack-palestinians/card/u-s-can-t-easily-meet-israel-s-requests-for-ammo-official-says-STbBF5wjz3qW9goCt4bn

Ukraine and Israel need to have a knife fight to see who gets the limited ammo the USA have left. 

The Israelis have one of the most powerful, high tech militaries in the world. Ukraine needs our help far more.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #1342 on: October 09, 2023, 02:53:49 PM »

The Israelis have one of the most powerful, high tech militaries in the world. Ukraine needs our help far more.

This, and furthermore I don't believe the US isn't able to ramp up ammu productions. It's still an industrial superpower in that regard. The enormous capabilities were already game changers in two world wars.
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1343 on: October 09, 2023, 02:54:35 PM »

Donald Trump has BLOOD on his hands:
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/donald-trump-s-israel-intel-leak-under-scrutiny-after-hamas-attack/ar-AA1hVsVO?ocid=socialshare&cvid=62455a2c5ab641aaa7da1be0db3f7302&ei=39

All but certain that he gave intel away how to get around Israels Iron Dome Defense System.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1344 on: October 09, 2023, 02:55:33 PM »

I predicted that if Niger would be invaded by ECOWAS, the US effort to assist Ukraine would be diverted as France and anyone else focus on that front. The war did not occur as France backed down and left, but now there’s a real good possibility of the collective effort of our leadership being divided once again as US war production is at its full capacity and efforts in Europe are drying out.

The battle of priorities is rearing its head once again.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1345 on: October 09, 2023, 02:57:47 PM »

I predicted that if Niger would be invaded by ECOWAS, the US effort to assist Ukraine would be diverted as France and anyone else focus on that front. The war did not occur as France backed down and left, but now there’s a real good possibility of the collective effort of our leadership being divided once again as US war production is at its full capacity and efforts in Europe are drying out.

The battle of priorities is rearing its head once again.

Defeating Russia in Ukraine is far, far more important to the long term security of America than defeating Hamas. Sadly, I do not expect this administration to agree with me. Protecting Israel will come first and Ukraine may be hung out to dry all for a country that doesn't need our help to begin with.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -4.78

P P P
« Reply #1346 on: October 09, 2023, 03:00:55 PM »

I want to point out i deleted the partisangirl tweet. I did not know who she was. After being pointed it out, i've deleted the post & tweet (and blocked the twitter account). But there are other and nicer ways to point that out... .
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #1347 on: October 09, 2023, 03:08:37 PM »

If true, he should resign in disgrace

Should resign in disgrace anyway but yes. The independent investigation after this will be really important.

Even without the pre-invasion issues, this government has been embarrassing throughout the past few days- transportation, welfare, information, everything. The government ministers being incompetent sycophants shows. The focus right now is squarely on taking down hamas, but once it’s over they will have to pay a heavy political price or there’s really no hope.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #1348 on: October 09, 2023, 03:28:10 PM »

Dutch NRC had a very correct observation: "The Prime Minister who always claimed only he could ensure security is responsible for the biggest breach of security in fifty years." He needs to go immediately on the day this war ends.
Hollywood
« Reply #1349 on: October 09, 2023, 03:33:21 PM »

If true, he should resign in disgrace

Should resign in disgrace anyway but yes. The independent investigation after this will be really important.

Even without the pre-invasion issues, this government has been embarrassing throughout the past few days- transportation, welfare, information, everything. The government ministers being incompetent sycophants shows. The focus right now is squarely on taking down hamas, but once it’s over they will have to pay a heavy political price or there’s really no hope.

The claim is totally fake.  It came from an anonymous source that is providing hearsay evidence.  
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52 53 [54] 55 56 57 58 59 ... 312  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies