Israel-Gaza war
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 08:34:04 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Israel-Gaza war
« previous next »
Thread note
MODERATOR WARNING: Any kind of inappropriate posts, including support for indiscriminate killing of civilians, and severe personal attacks against other posters will not be tolerated.

Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 38 39 ... 313
Author Topic: Israel-Gaza war  (Read 222652 times)
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #825 on: October 08, 2023, 09:50:24 AM »
« edited: October 08, 2023, 10:00:21 AM by pppolitics »

Iran English language newspapers on conflict

The headlines seem pretty accurate.

You've really shown yourself as the biggest hypocrite here these past days when it comes to your views of innocent Ukrainian civilians versus Israeli ones, I hope you realize that.

Israel has far more in common with Russia than Ukraine.

✓ Authoritarian leader with contempt for democracy

✓ Illegal occupation

Ethnic cleansing might soon be added to the list.
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #826 on: October 08, 2023, 09:52:21 AM »
« Edited: October 08, 2023, 10:02:06 AM by Hash »

Israel is specifically telling people where to go to avoid bombings.

Citation needed, because I only see calls to leave one's building or Gaza entirely (from Netanyahu).
False. There are maps asking the residents of perimeter neighbourhoods to move to the inner city.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #827 on: October 08, 2023, 09:53:41 AM »

Israel claims 80% of electricity is cut off. I doubt most people have access to electricity, especially civilians and ones not responsible for this war.

also Hamas is definitely on a total war footing here and they would have obviously expected Israel to cut off the power - I would not be at all surprised if electricity is being routed only to places of "military importance"
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #828 on: October 08, 2023, 09:54:15 AM »

Citation needed, because I only see calls to leave one's building or Gaza entirely (from Netanyahu).
False. There are maps asking the residents of perimeter neighbourhoods to move to the inner city. Hopefully in due time we’ll reach the inner city and then they’ll be directed to Sinai
Damn ghoul behavior
Libertas Vel Mors
Haley/Ryan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -0.17

« Reply #829 on: October 08, 2023, 09:54:37 AM »

False. There are maps asking the residents of perimeter neighbourhoods to move to the inner city. Hopefully in due time we’ll reach the inner city and then they’ll be directed to Sinai

You want to expel them?
reagente
Atlas Politician
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.10, S: 4.96

« Reply #830 on: October 08, 2023, 09:54:52 AM »

Allegedly, dozens of American citizens among the hostages in Gaza. Separately, I can personally verify having seen videos (which I can dm to anyone so desiring) of Israeli toddlers being held in cages and children being attacked and beaten. Of course, this is in addition to the many dead children within Israel.

Seems to be confirmed:
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #831 on: October 08, 2023, 09:55:26 AM »

Oh, you're doing this too? So much for liberal Zionists.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #832 on: October 08, 2023, 09:55:50 AM »

So you do want to expel all Palestinians, good to know.
Libertas Vel Mors
Haley/Ryan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #833 on: October 08, 2023, 09:57:24 AM »

Allegedly, dozens of American citizens among the hostages in Gaza. Separately, I can personally verify having seen videos (which I can dm to anyone so desiring) of Israeli toddlers being held in cages and children being attacked and beaten. Of course, this is in addition to the many dead children within Israel.

Seems to be confirmed:

Terrible. And yet Biden will give $6 billion to Iran anyway.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #834 on: October 08, 2023, 09:57:35 AM »

But also the point is moot because even if that’s true, Israel also drops roof knockers to alert people before bringing buildings down (if the building is populated).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roof_knocking
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #835 on: October 08, 2023, 09:58:40 AM »

Hopefully all Hamas hostages are released quickly in exchange for releasing some of the thousands of Palestinians (including many children) under Israeli military detention, as has happened many times before.
Libertas Vel Mors
Haley/Ryan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #836 on: October 08, 2023, 09:59:12 AM »

But also the point is moot because even if that’s true, Israel also drops roof knockers to alert people before bringing buildings down (if the building is populated).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roof_knocking

I saw at least one video of it being done yesterday. If its end results in civilian deaths, that’s unfortunate, but I understand why it’s being done.
Ⓐnarchy in the ☭☭☭P!
ModernBourbon Democrat

« Reply #837 on: October 08, 2023, 10:00:46 AM »

I still can't understand just how the Israeli intelligence didn't catch this. Such a huge attack must have taken months to plan.

Hamas and their allies positioned thousands of rockets, equiped and readied a huge amount of fighters. Just how was this missed?

They've had such an overwhelming advantage for so long that their capabilities atrophied. For the past decade they've been able to sit back and rely on largely automated systems to mop up Palestinian rockets with ease, the most effort being the occasional jet sent to flatten a building or two in response. The total ineffectiveness of prior attempts created a false sense of security (for comparison, more Israelis were killed yesterday than in every prior Hamas attack combined).

I still can't understand just how the Israeli intelligence didn't catch this. Such a huge attack must have taken months to plan.

Hamas and their allies positioned thousands of rockets, equiped and readied a huge amount of fighters. Just how was this missed?

Powered Paraglides for airborne assaults too !

And to think they only started with rocks 23 years ago.

Not the first time Palestinian saboteurs managed to catch the IDF with their pants down using paragliders. This time around they just combined it with two of the most cost-effective strategies of the Ukraine war: swarms of cheap rockets fired en masse to overwhelm the Iron Dome closely followed by swarms of cheap IED drones.

Palestine just reminded the entire world that their home is still a warzone, and just completely destroyed Israel’s reputation as a safe country to visit. The Israeli tourism industry is going to be dead by everyone but religious zealots and those connecting with family for a good while.

Had Fatah not have been in the way to side with Israel if there were a war in the West Bank, Palestine would have won this war. Abbas’s bantustan is the only thing blocking an end to this war. Good riddance the zealous Trump Administration finally put UNRWA’s money laundering scheme to the coffin.

All eyes are on what the supposed invasion of Gaza is going to look like, as if any other front opens up Israel will continue to get bloody and have territory be in jeopardy bit by bit. They could have ended this conflict in the 90s by recognizing Palestine but didn’t out of wanting the whole pie. Like Armenia and Cyprus before it, not reading the room has negative consequences.

Revealing that you view it as winning a war for Hamas to butcher innocent civilians, and as morally unacceptable for Israel to build walls to protect itself and kill those Hamas members in retaliation.
It is, already, a (coming) military defeat and political victory. The direct comparison that's been made repeatedly is to Tet.

I've seen the comparison thrown around a lot but it isn't quite the same. For one, the Viet Cong suffered absolutely calamitous and disproportionate casualties, whereas (at least so far) Hamas seems to have taken about as many losses as the IDF. While the Viet Cong threw their forces against entrenched American positions and were decimated in this case it's the Israelis that will have to attack through prepared Hamas defenses in Gaza. It's very easy to kill more Palestinians but even if the IDF turned Gaza into Grozny they may well lack the shock troops to clear out the rubble, an issue they've been plagued with since 2006.
Libertas Vel Mors
Haley/Ryan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #838 on: October 08, 2023, 10:01:45 AM »

Hopefully all Hamas hostages are released quickly in exchange for releasing some of the thousands of Palestinians (including many children) under Israeli military detention, as has happened many times before.

Stop comparing kidnapped civilians to criminal terrorists.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #839 on: October 08, 2023, 10:02:38 AM »

The Hamas showed their true colors in recent days. Despite my criticisms for the policies of the Netanjayu governments, I actually hope the Isreali forces are able to totally disband Hamas and hunt down the terrorists. You can argue treatment of people in Gaza is terrible, but committing such acts of terror against civilians and civilian infrastructure is barbaric.
Angel of Death
« Reply #840 on: October 08, 2023, 10:03:03 AM »

False. There are maps asking the residents of perimeter neighbourhoods to move to the inner city.

I'm still waiting for a source.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #841 on: October 08, 2023, 10:03:41 AM »

This is what happens when the people are oppressed to the point that they have no hope left: They go on a murderous rampage. They don't have anything left to lose.

Israel set itself up for this to happen.

Not what happened. Hamas are not a bunch of kids armed with rocks and a few ancient Kalashnikovs who went stir-crazy and did a dreadful thing in a spontaneous explosion, but a well funded, well armed and highly organized paramilitary force who spent months (and quite plausibly years) planning an operation aimed at mass murder and mass kidnap (all of which was to, and did, take place on internationally recognized Israeli territory), which they were able to pull off with hideous success due to a catastrophic failure of Israeli state security policies. It is important to tell the truth about things like this.
Libertas Vel Mors
Haley/Ryan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #842 on: October 08, 2023, 10:06:14 AM »

The Israeli Arab language spokesman was making public announcements re it. Here’s a link.

Libertas Vel Mors
Haley/Ryan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #843 on: October 08, 2023, 10:11:42 AM »

Ted Cruz National Security Advisor:

https://x.com/omriceren/status/1711021136450916450?s=46&t=-TLJWg2jgXQDTDLYBl-1EA
Angel of Death
« Reply #844 on: October 08, 2023, 10:12:22 AM »

The Israeli Arab language spokesman was making public announcements re it. Here’s a link.

OK, in light of all kinds of misinformation going around in such circumstances, I can appreciate being given a source.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #845 on: October 08, 2023, 10:17:36 AM »

This is the only conventional conflict against Israeli forces by the Palestinians since the war in Lebanon and they are more successful than then.

The war in Syria really was a test ground in developing such modern day infrastructure. Hamas fought for the sheiks in Idlib and wealthy chiefs while PIJ, the commies, and secular nationalists fought for Syria and got their hands dirty. They return a viable fighting force conventionally that has not been seen since the Lebanon war and ailing use of old veterans in the Intifadas. The Syrian war and Assad’s victory was the worst possible outcome for the United States and especially its proxy based in Jerusalem.

Even if Gaza gets hammered in, there’s always the West Bank fighters and the bases outside of Palestine.
Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #846 on: October 08, 2023, 10:19:11 AM »

Dear God, the civilians are lacking of hiding places in Gaza.  This is the predictable reply of a fascist government to the terror attacks perpetrated by Hamas. Collective punishment is a heinous crime of war and the Israeli regime has a great expertise in that.

The last Haaretz editorial blames Netanyahu for the epic security failure, saying this government has been solely focused on the implementation of an increasingly expansionist policy in the West Bank. Well, I think this is partially true and certainly the attacks are humiliating for someone like Netanyahu, a man who claims his rxpertise in security is neccessary for Israel. However, the racist policies of this government don't represent an U-turn with regards the policies of the previous government, they just represent a radicalization and intensification. The problem revealed by the Hamas attacks on Israel and the IDF retaliatory attacks on Gaza is structural. It's a problem related to the occupation and a state founded on violence, discrimination and apartheid against the Palestinians
Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #847 on: October 08, 2023, 10:21:27 AM »

Breaking the Silence explains better what's happening

Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #848 on: October 08, 2023, 10:25:00 AM »

Not what happened. Hamas are not a bunch of kids armed with rocks and a few ancient Kalashnikovs who went stir-crazy and did a dreadful thing in a spontaneous explosion, but a well funded, well armed and highly organized paramilitary force who spent months (and quite plausibly years) planning an operation aimed at mass murder and mass kidnap (all of which was to, and did, take place on internationally recognized Israeli territory), which they were able to pull off with hideous success due to a catastrophic failure of Israeli state security policies. It is important to tell the truth about things like this.

I don't want to empty quote you here in this thread that's already overflowing with far too many low-effort posts, but merely clicking the "recommend" button is not at all sufficient to express just how strongly I agree with this post.

This post deserves a glowing neon sign pointing at it from the side of the screen to make sure everyone it is drawn to everyone's attention.

I can't do that though so instead I've typed this post because your last line is absolutely correct, this is the truth and it needs to be said
Libertas Vel Mors
Haley/Ryan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #849 on: October 08, 2023, 10:27:31 AM »

Breaking the Silence explains better what's happening

In other words: Hamas slaughtered hundreds of innocents, but it’s business as normal for us so we’re going to keep lying about Israel.
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 38 39 ... 313  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies