Gay man stabbed to death in Bushwick for dancing
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 04:33:10 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Gay man stabbed to death in Bushwick for dancing
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: Gay man stabbed to death in Bushwick for dancing  (Read 3176 times)
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 31, 2023, 08:35:14 PM »
« edited: August 09, 2023, 01:04:58 AM by Horus »

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/crime-and-courts/een-idd-as-suspect-in-shocking-stabbing-death-of-man-voguing-at-gas-station-nypd/4551518/
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2023, 08:52:24 PM »

religion of peace let’s not rush to conclusions motives remain undetermined blessings and peace be upon the prophet
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2023, 09:10:44 PM »

religion of peace let’s not rush to conclusions motives remain undetermined blessings and peace be upon the prophet

you suck.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2023, 09:20:43 PM »

Muslims commit less than even .5% of all bashings in this country. This is an anomaly to a heterogeneous group that follows the law and tries to keep nice with all people over here.
No War, but the War on Christmas
iBizzBee
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2023, 09:22:55 PM »

This is horrible, genuinely RIP Oshae. Purple heart

Vogueing and 'ball' as it were, fwiw, has a long almost half century history in NYC by this point, especially among POC. It's literally part of the culture of NYC now and no bigot has the authority nor ability to change that going forward.

They apparently know the suspects name so hopefully that means there's little chance he's going to get away with this hateful act of cold-blooded violence.
BigZuck08
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 1.22

P
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2023, 09:25:32 PM »

May the victim RIP, and may the victim's family get justice.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2023, 09:28:50 PM »

Article paywalled.

RIP, horrific situation.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2023, 09:32:43 PM »

I replaced the old article with a more up to date one from NBC NY
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2023, 10:19:03 PM »

Very sad and unacceptable.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2023, 11:05:25 PM »

I have gay friends who live in Brooklyn.  They get verbally accosted or harassed on the street way more than I ever do in New Orleans, or even in Mississippi. 

What makes people want to live here again? 

Jerseyan
Rookie
United States

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2023, 11:24:37 PM »

I have gay friends who live in Brooklyn.  They get verbally accosted or harassed on the street way more than I ever do in New Orleans, or even in Mississippi. 

Your asking why a gay person would prefer to live in one of the most socially liberal cities in the country over deeply conservative states like Louisianan or Mississippi? Really?
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2023, 01:06:34 AM »

... They apparently know the suspects name so hopefully that means there's little chance he's going to get away with this hateful act of cold-blooded violence.

I feel confident that they will get him.
Stupid kid who is not even an adult yet, and now his life will be forever changed (and probably ruined).
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2023, 02:51:38 AM »

you suck.

Imagine pearl-clutching in the face of atrocities like these. Fundamentalism is a stain on the soul of humanity and must be scrubbed out.
Aurelius2
United States

« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2023, 08:37:49 AM »
« Edited: August 01, 2023, 05:00:03 PM by Aurelius2 »

RIP O'Shae, this is despicable.

An eyewitness said the crowd that killed the man was shouting that they were Muslim and hated gays. I'm really tired of people pretending that this isn't a real issue. And yes, there are far more fundamentalist Christians in the US than fundamentalist Muslims, but any individual fundamentalist Christian is far less likely to snap and kill someone than any given fundamentalist Muslim. But but but muh religion of peace!

On a much less violent level, the only town so far to ban Pride flags was one of the few Muslim majority towns in the country. When Australia had its same sex marriage referendum, the only places to oppose it by an overwhelming margin were the Muslim parts of Sydney. I'm never going to understand why people who so loudly claim to support our rights and equality simultaneously support the mass immigration of those who so aggressively follow their religion's view of us as evil and inferior.

I'm not going to pretend otherwise - the past 10 years are the best time to be gay in all of history - but between things like this and the ongoing anti-gay radicalization of the DeSantis faction of the right, the trendline is now firmly going in the wrong direction.
Jerseyan
Rookie
United States

« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2023, 08:51:16 AM »

RIP Oshae, this is despicable.

An eyewitness said the crowd that killed the man was shouting that they were Muslim and hated gays. But but but muh religion of peace. Yes, there are far more fundamentalist Christians in the US than fundamentalist Muslims, but any individual fundamentalist Christian is far less likely to snap and kill someone than any given fundamentalist Muslim. But but but muh religion of peace!

Well yes, but the event's leading up to the stabbing arent as clear cut as "Homophobic comments -> stabbing"

Apparently the group of Muslim Men and Oshae's group separated but Oshae's group reengaged, which than led to the stabbing.

People shouldn't have to put up with homophobic comments in this day and age, but I don't believe this will end up getting charged as a hate crime when those details are put in front of a jury.

This teenager probably wasn't a fundamentalist muslim. Just a dumb homophobic kid(there are alot of those) who brought a knife with him to be cool and ended up stabbing an innocent man.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2023, 09:48:07 AM »

you suck.

Imagine pearl-clutching in the face of atrocities like these. Fundamentalism is a stain on the soul of humanity and must be scrubbed out.

Imagining not understanding the difference between fundamentalism and mainstream religion. Yes, Islam does need something of a Reformation, but to lump all Muslims in with someone who stabbed a dude for voguing is definitely you suck territory
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2023, 10:30:35 AM »

Your asking why a gay person would prefer to live in one of the most socially liberal cities in the country over deeply conservative states like Louisianan or Mississippi? Really?

I'm just telling you my "IRL" experience.  I don't have to apologize for it not confirming your politics.

Progressives have this very grating tendency to self-assuredly believe that anywhere not NYC/LA/SF is practically Saudi Arabia.  It blinds them to the bigotry that originates from big cities, and especially from certain immigrant and minority communities they like to champion. 

As I said, I have never had any problems in NOLA or MS.  My friends in Brooklyn have had problems.  This guy just got killed.  What are we to make of that? 
No War, but the War on Christmas
iBizzBee
Junior Chimp

« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2023, 10:38:13 AM »

you suck.

Imagining not understanding the difference between fundamentalism and mainstream religion. Yes, Islam does need something of a Reformation, but to lump all Muslims in with someone who stabbed a dude for voguing is definitely you suck territory

I often relate the story of my Muslim friend whom I originally assumed wouldn't be accepting of me, who then went to pride with me after we became friends. This was a hijab wearing, halal keeping Muslim girl who probably didn't personally think homosexuality was 'great' but understood that in the same we she wanted people to respect her that LGBT+ people should also have respect.

There has to be a middle ground somewhere, where we don't cast aspersions on all Muslims but where we can also accurately call out the rise of anti-LGBT rhetoric among religious fundamentalists and sadly among some fundamentalist young muslim men who have clearly lacked any sort of integration into American society which most Muslim Americans have embraced.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2023, 10:38:45 AM »
« Edited: August 01, 2023, 10:42:52 AM by Torie »

I have gay friends who live in Brooklyn.  They get verbally accosted or harassed on the street way more than I ever do in New Orleans, or even in Mississippi.  

Brooklyn is huge and a very diverse place. Dan and I were in Midwood looking at the house my dad was born in, in 1906. It was in the early evening on Yom Kippur, and the people walking to temple for services were very nice. We also had no issues when 3 gay men were wandering around the Coney Island area and Bensonhurst. No issues in gayish Williamsburg of course, but also no issues in Hassidic Williamsburg, and the snoodle drew some smiles among a group that does not seem to smile much. We also had no issues walking through Little Haiti.  

Where we do get homophobic vibes is in the Poconos. Very backward. The MAGA vibe is strong.  
Jerseyan
Rookie
United States

« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2023, 11:05:02 AM »
« Edited: August 01, 2023, 11:08:05 AM by Jerseyan »

I have gay friends who live in Brooklyn.  They get verbally accosted or harassed on the street way more than I ever do in New Orleans, or even in Mississippi.  

I'm just telling you my "IRL" experience.  I don't have to apologize for it not confirming your politics.

Progressives have this very grating tendency to self-assuredly believe that anywhere not NYC/LA/SF is practically Saudi Arabia.  It blinds them to the bigotry that originates from big cities, and especially from certain immigrant and minority communities they like to champion.  

As I said, I have never had any problems in NOLA or MS.  My friends in Brooklyn have had problems.  This guy just got killed.  What are we to make of that?  

And I'm telling you mine. I've lived in the south. I've never felt more closeted.

There's a certain level of safety felt living in a place like NYC and LA that is not replicated in the deep south. You asked "what makes people want to live" in NYC and I'm telling you because of how safe it feels to be openly LGBT+. Using this tragic example as a reason it's not is beyond the pale. And I'm sorry your friends have had bad experiences in Brooklyn, but I can assure you thats not the norm.

Also, we have a poll on the front page that says barely half of all Republican's support gay marriage. Why would I want to live somewhere where half the people think I shouldn't be allowed to get married?
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2023, 11:44:06 AM »

It's just as easy for a young Muslim kid to get radicalized by the traditionalist, homophobic antisemitic wings of the religion as it is for a Dylan Roof or Brenton Tarrant to be radicalized by online Nazis. Not surprising but tragic as hell.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2023, 11:50:12 AM »

Organized religion is bad. It breeds hate, attacks like this happen here from every religion and the “holy men” encourage it in a lot of cases. Sickening.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2023, 11:52:59 AM »

I'm just telling you my "IRL" experience.  I don't have to apologize for it not confirming your politics.

Progressives have this very grating tendency to self-assuredly believe that anywhere not NYC/LA/SF is practically Saudi Arabia.  It blinds them to the bigotry that originates from big cities, and especially from certain immigrant and minority communities they like to champion.  

As I said, I have never had any problems in NOLA or MS.  My friends in Brooklyn have had problems.  This guy just got killed.  What are we to make of that?  

And I'm telling you mine. I've lived in the south. I've never felt more closeted.

There's a certain level of safety felt living in a place like NYC and LA that is not replicated in the deep south. You asked "what makes people want to live" in NYC and I'm telling you because of how safe it feels to be openly LGBT+. Using this tragic example as a reason it's not is beyond the pale. And I'm sorry your friends have had bad experiences in Brooklyn, but I can assure you thats not the norm.

Also, we have a poll on the front page that says barely half of all Republican's support gay marriage. Why would I want to live somewhere where half the people think I shouldn't be allowed to get married?

I can assure you it is the norm. I face hate speech (and on occasion outright hate crimes) on at least a monthly basis, if not weekly, in New York City, Philadelphia and Washington.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2023, 11:59:37 AM »

you suck.

Where did I lump all Muslims together?
Jerseyan
Rookie
United States

« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2023, 12:17:45 PM »

I can assure you it is the norm. I face hate speech (and on occasion outright hate crimes) on at least a monthly basis, if not weekly, in New York City, Philadelphia and Washington.

Not to dismiss your lived experience or Del Tachi's friends experience, but I absolutely refuse to entertain the idea that NYC is an unsafe place for gay people to live. I've been in the area 25 years, I've had friends here even longer. Whichever parts of NYC you're going to, remind me to stay clear of in the future.

I can imagine Philadelphia and Washington though. I was never defending either of those. Spent very little time in either.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies