Gay man stabbed to death in Bushwick for dancing
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 12:54:25 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Gay man stabbed to death in Bushwick for dancing
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: Gay man stabbed to death in Bushwick for dancing  (Read 2925 times)
Vice President Christian Man
Christian Man
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -2.26

P P P

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2023, 12:43:26 PM »

I find it in poor taste that certain posters are using this unfortunate incident to smear other religions. But I hope that justice is served in this case, no one should fear for their lives when they go out in public.
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2023, 02:49:27 PM »

religion of peace let’s not rush to conclusions motives remain undetermined blessings and peace be upon the prophet

The more I read your posts, the more I realize that despite your posturing you’re actually one of the most prejudiced people on this site.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2023, 03:10:50 PM »

religion of peace let’s not rush to conclusions motives remain undetermined blessings and peace be upon the prophet

The more I read your posts, the more I realize that despite your posturing you’re actually one of the most prejudiced people on this site.

I don’t pretend to not be prejudiced against death cults.
Nutmeg
thepolitic
United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2023, 03:17:51 PM »

I can assure you it is the norm. I face hate speech (and on occasion outright hate crimes) on at least a monthly basis, if not weekly, in New York City, Philadelphia and Washington.

Where are you facing hate speech and hate crimes in D.C.?
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2023, 04:25:30 PM »
« Edited: August 01, 2023, 04:30:51 PM by All Along The Watchtower »

Well I’m sure the young man who committed this atrocity had extensive knowledge of Islamic scriptures and traditions and lived a pious and praiseworthy life as the vast majority of Muslims throughout space and time would understand such a life. Roll Eyes

All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2023, 04:27:23 PM »
« Edited: August 01, 2023, 04:30:29 PM by All Along The Watchtower »

Anyway murder and hatred is bad regardless of who engages in it. I don’t care for people who apply double standards on behalf of any group, but equally I don’t care for people using such tragedies as an opportunity for points-scoring that only exposes their own bigotry and hatred.

Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2023, 04:36:23 PM »

I can assure you it is the norm. I face hate speech (and on occasion outright hate crimes) on at least a monthly basis, if not weekly, in New York City, Philadelphia and Washington.

Metro usually, and perhaps an isolated incident downtown which could be attributed to tourists. I spend the least time there - and increasingly less as my account focus shifts north. I included it because the proportionality doesn't seem far off even as the worst incidents have been in my home cities.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2023, 04:45:29 PM »

Anyway murder and hatred is bad regardless of who engages in it. I don’t care for people who apply double standards on behalf of any group, but equally I don’t care for people using such tragedies as an opportunity for points-scoring that only exposes their own bigotry and hatred.

Why is it ok to politicize gun violence tragedies, but not violent tragedies caused by a particular religious group that Atlas for some reason feels the need to protect?
Aurelius2
United States

« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2023, 04:50:33 PM »

Well I’m sure the young man who committed this atrocity had extensive knowledge of Islamic scriptures and traditions and lived a pious and praiseworthy life as the vast majority of Muslims throughout space and time would understand such a life. Roll Eyes

You're usually a smart and insightful poster, but when it comes to Islam you have a blind spot the size of the Sun. If a Christian terrorist screamed deus vult and shouted about doing it because he's Christian while gunning down a bunch of innocents you wouldn't engage in this sort of pitiful deflection when people (rightly) talked about Christian extremism being a problem afterward, and I know you wouldn't.

I have to think about my basic physical safety and take extra caution because of this sort of crap. As far as I know, you don't. A lot of the pearl clutching straights in this thread could frankly do to shut the flck up. One of us was just murdered in cold blood and some of you have your first instinct to whatabout in defense of a pet victim group. Makes my blood boil.
Aurelius2
United States

« Reply #34 on: August 01, 2023, 04:59:37 PM »
« Edited: August 01, 2023, 05:07:39 PM by Aurelius2 »

Source: Pew Research Center

Sharia law prescribes stoning of homosexuals to death. There are several countries that engage in this, explicitly citing sharia, to this very day. There are no Christian or Buddhist or Jewish or Hindu or whatever the hell else jurisdictions that do this. When there are numerous countries (as shown by the two charts above) in which a vast majority would like to have me and people like me be stoned to death, damn right I am going to point it out as a problem and not close my ears and eyes and pretend its all just fine because some would rather engage in feel good fantasies.

This is the sort of thing I would have thought unfathomable. For awhile it was. But now here we are.

In 1997 it happened in small town wyoming. Now in 2023 it happens in nyc. Yay progress!!!!!
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #35 on: August 01, 2023, 05:19:08 PM »

On a much less violent level, the only town so far to ban Pride flags was one of the few Muslim majority towns in the country.

If you're talking about Hamtramck, a formerly Polish enclave in Detroit that is now Bengali and Arab, I believe pride flags were banned from display by the city on city property. IIRC, this was ostensibly part of a more general ban on sporting flags advocating for political causes, though it may have been passed with certain causes in mind.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #36 on: August 01, 2023, 06:05:29 PM »

I used to hate Islam and all Muslims but I went away from that.

They may be way to conservative,  but I'm not judging all Muslims over one stabbing.

I welcome the diversity.

The Muslims in Nova were nothing but nice to me.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #37 on: August 01, 2023, 06:22:51 PM »

What does it matter if the stabber is a MUSLIM?

No matter what race, ethnicity, or religion they were it is still a sickening crime and horrific.

I tend to give non whites more leeway in being homophobic though. Black people are oppressed in our society, so hard for me to get mad at them.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #38 on: August 01, 2023, 06:28:32 PM »

You're usually a smart and insightful poster, but when it comes to Islam you have a blind spot the size of the Sun. If a Christian terrorist screamed deus vult and shouted about doing it because he's Christian while gunning down a bunch of innocents you wouldn't engage in this sort of pitiful deflection when people (rightly) talked about Christian extremism being a problem afterward, and I know you wouldn't.

I have to think about my basic physical safety and take extra caution because of this sort of crap. As far as I know, you don't. A lot of the pearl clutching straights in this thread could frankly do to shut the flck up. One of us was just murdered in cold blood and some of you have your first instinct to whatabout in defense of a pet victim group. Makes my blood boil.

My first instinct was to do no such thing. My first post in this thread was an acknowledgment of this horrific murder and hate crime, and condolences.

But re: Islam, I regret that I took the bait from Dule’s very lame and unfunny post (which was notably his first post in the thread, as long as we’re talking about first instincts). I’m sorry for that. And I’m sorry in general.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #39 on: August 01, 2023, 06:43:50 PM »
« Edited: August 01, 2023, 06:48:11 PM by All Along The Watchtower »

Why is it ok to politicize gun violence tragedies, but not violent tragedies caused by a particular religious group that Atlas for some reason feels the need to protect?

For starters:

When I return to office, the travel ban is coming back even bigger than before and much stronger than before.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/trump-bring-back-travel-ban-muslim-countries/

And they’re neither a large nor a very politically powerful part of the US population. Though anyone with violent intent and access to firearms surely would be very dangerous; that includes Muslim mass murderers, as we’ve seen with deadly shootings at Fort Hood, San Bernandino, Orlando, and Pensacola.

Also, a particular religious group? I thought Libertarians were strong individualists, no?
Bleach Blonde Bad Built Butch Bodies for Biden
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #40 on: August 01, 2023, 06:50:02 PM »

If a Christian terrorist screamed deus vult and shouted about doing it because he's Christian while gunning down a bunch of innocents

That would be based.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #41 on: August 01, 2023, 06:51:53 PM »

If a Christian terrorist screamed deus vult and shouted about doing it because he's Christian while gunning down a bunch of innocents

That would be based.

Don’t. Wtf.
Bleach Blonde Bad Built Butch Bodies for Biden
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #42 on: August 01, 2023, 06:52:39 PM »

That would be based.

Don’t. Wtf.

H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #43 on: August 01, 2023, 06:52:43 PM »

Source: Pew Research Center

Sharia law prescribes stoning of homosexuals to death. There are several countries that engage in this, explicitly citing sharia, to this very day. There are no Christian or Buddhist or Jewish or Hindu or whatever the hell else jurisdictions that do this. When there are numerous countries (as shown by the two charts above) in which a vast majority would like to have me and people like me be stoned to death, damn right I am going to point it out as a problem and not close my ears and eyes and pretend its all just fine because some would rather engage in feel good fantasies.

This is the sort of thing I would have thought unfathomable. For awhile it was. But now here we are.

In 1997 it happened in small town wyoming. Now in 2023 it happens in nyc. Yay progress!!!!!

What are the corresponding numbers for the United States?
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #44 on: August 01, 2023, 06:54:33 PM »

Not an excuse!
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #45 on: August 01, 2023, 08:24:54 PM »

That would be based.

no fedposting on this forum please, thank you.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #46 on: August 01, 2023, 08:34:36 PM »

Rule No 1 on petrol stations.

Don't get out of your car and confront people.

O'Shea Sibley

Confrontation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xl-zOu01BiU

I would not do it in Australia, certainly not in the USA.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #47 on: August 01, 2023, 09:37:03 PM »

Because guns are inanimate objects designed to harm and/or kill animals (which includes humans), whereas Islam is a religious belief held by millions of Americans, and almost all of them do not commit violent acts.

This isn't even apples and oranges, it's apples and forklifts.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #48 on: August 01, 2023, 09:47:20 PM »

Because guns are inanimate objects designed to harm and/or kill animals (which includes humans), whereas Islam is a religious belief held by millions of Americans, and almost all of them do not commit violent acts.

This isn't even apples and oranges, it's apples and forklifts.

Most QAnoners do not commit violent acts. But when one does, an intellectually honest observer must consider the inherent connection between the belief and the action.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #49 on: August 01, 2023, 10:05:33 PM »

Metro usually, and perhaps an isolated incident downtown which could be attributed to tourists. I spend the least time there - and increasingly less as my account focus shifts north. I included it because the proportionality doesn't seem far off even as the worst incidents have been in my home cities.
Aren’t those usually just the homeless mentally ill people anyways? Doesn’t make it less disturbing if not just sad, Carter and Reagan really f**ked up.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies