Which is the biggest issue in the 2024 US Election?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 12, 2024, 08:01:18 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  2024 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, GeorgiaModerate, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Which is the biggest issue in the 2024 US Election?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Which of the following issues do you think voters will see as the biggest issue in the 2024 US Presidential Election
The Mexican Border

The Gun Debate

The Economy

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 35

Author Topic: Which is the biggest issue in the 2024 US Election?  (Read 992 times)
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 04, 2023, 09:11:58 PM »

Interested to see what Americans think. From the outside, it would appear different to feelings on the the inside.
Arizona Iced Tea
Minute Maid Juice
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2023, 10:27:00 PM »

I think abortion, crime, and possibly LGBTQ culture (idk what else to call it) are bigger issues at this point than the border or guns at this point.
Shaula🏳️‍⚧️
Shaula
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2023, 10:40:57 PM »

The economy. Guns are never the #1 issue and I don't think immigration will as big of an issue as in 2016.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2023, 10:49:54 PM »

That the GOP is openly fascist and nominating a traitor, with the end goal of destroying our democratic government and rule of law.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2023, 11:31:34 PM »

The economy. Guns are never the #1 issue and I don't think immigration will as big of an issue as in 2016.

I think the right would do well to lay low on guns for a while.  The conservative position on guns is going to be on shakier ground than they are used to with this level of violence out there.  They also already won big imposing permitting reform on the NE states at SCOTUS.
Lincoln Project
TheLP
Rookie
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2023, 11:45:05 PM »

That the GOP is openly fascist and nominating a traitor, with the end goal of destroying our democratic government and rule of law.
Projection much?
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2023, 12:20:03 AM »

What a bizarre selection of options. The economy is always an issue, of course, but the border and the gun debate are not big topics at all. 2016 was the immigration election. I don't even think I've heard Trump or his people mention the border in years. If he has it certainly wasn't in any publicized statements or speeches.

2024 (unless a serious recession occurs) is going to be partially about the economy but primarily it'll be another "Soul of America" election, arguably even more so than 2020, with abortion being one of the top issues. This is anecdotal as all hell, but I talk to a lot of people and not a single damn one of them has cited the economy as their number one issue. You occasionally hear them mention gas prices or inflation, but when they really get talking about why they're voting for who they're voting for, it always circles back around to how rotten and evil the other side is. Frankly, I don't really believe that any US presidential election this century has been won or lost on the economy alone.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

P P P

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2023, 01:13:44 AM »

J6
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2023, 01:29:34 AM »

What a bizarre selection of options. The economy is always an issue, of course, but the border and the gun debate are not big topics at all. 2016 was the immigration election. I don't even think I've heard Trump or his people mention the border in years. If he has it certainly wasn't in any publicized statements or speeches.

2024 (unless a serious recession occurs) is going to be partially about the economy but primarily it'll be another "Soul of America" election, arguably even more so than 2020, with abortion being one of the top issues. This is anecdotal as all hell, but I talk to a lot of people and not a single damn one of them has cited the economy as their number one issue. You occasionally hear them mention gas prices or inflation, but when they really get talking about why they're voting for who they're voting for, it always circles back around to how rotten and evil the other side is. Frankly, I don't really believe that any US presidential election this century has been won or lost on the economy alone.

2008?!
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2023, 04:35:05 AM »

....2016 was the immigration election. I don't even think I've heard Trump or his people mention the border in years. If he has it certainly wasn't in any publicized statements or speeches.

It's inevitably coming. Appreciate the response.
SnowLabrador
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2023, 04:40:46 AM »

That should be the biggest issue, but unfortunately the media will make it about the economy. A broken clock is right twice a day - maybe the media really is the enemy of the people.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2023, 06:51:16 AM »

It won't matter EVERS, Whitmer and Shapiro and Hobbs have 55 percentage pts Approval and Rs get 9 percentage blks vote and that's not enough no matter what happens to get blue states this pt has been made over and over and over again
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2023, 09:00:36 AM »

It's the economy, stupid!

That said, democracy and abortion will play important roles, too.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2023, 11:06:37 AM »

2008?!

Yes, that would be the closest one, but I think the Iraq war was enough to sink Republicans that year.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2023, 03:14:17 PM »

Write in: Age of both candidates (Biden and Trump)
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2023, 04:33:20 PM »
« Edited: May 05, 2023, 04:43:23 PM by Mr.Barkari Sellers »

Write in: Age of both candidates (Biden and Trump)

Not really AaRP helps Biden, Trump got elected due to Boomers voting for him, especially Senior women over Lewinsky Hillary in 2016 and Y2K Gen X are turning 50 by 26 so age isn't a factor that much only the ones that were born in the 1990s are not near 50 yet

50 even if you don't qualify for Medicare you qualify for AaRP life insurance you must have to get buried

That's why Impact AARP polls are gonna show Gallego, Baldwin, Slotkin, Caey, Brown,, Kunce and ALLRED close as it shows Presley and Beshesr close and Scott is gonna be safe like John'son, Rev Barber is right bail out of FL and IA and compete in AK, KS, MO, OH and TX he recruited Beto and Gallegos so it's no wonder ALLRED decided to run

The same users that say Brown is gonna lose are the ones that had Fetterman losing lol wait for an Emerson or AaRP poll users thought Reeves was safe no he isn't it's gonna be based on turnout

We will know soon enough and Ryan and Barnes and Beasley lost they were either ahead in Civitas or Impact poll because of Hurricane IAN
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2023, 06:02:05 PM »

This isn't really a fair question since the economy obviously matters over the other two. Really the election overall is going to be either a referendum on Biden or Trump, generally speaking if when he is nominated by the GOP, and all the issues that go with that. Trump might have the advantage on the economy, given perceptions of it in spite of the nuances, but I doubt he has the discipline to stick strictly to that message. Biden meanwhile has a lot to work with to keep the spotlight on Trump, in spite of some liabilities of his. 2022 was wan election that should have been a referendum on Biden and his administration but ended up being turned on its head when the alternative consisted mainly of Trump-proxies. I don't think it's a stretch to see the same thing happen again, particularly if the economy remains as it is now or continues improving.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2023, 11:01:28 PM »

.Trump.... I doubt he has the discipline to stick strictly to that message.

I felt the same way about Trump with COVID. That was easily managed if he just shut up and let Dr Fauci run the science. And the added brainiac (Dr Deborah Birx?) was easily on top of it as well.

All he had to do was shut the borders and as a xenophobe, he should have been an expert.

Trump had the cards, but he lost his focus big time and had to be the mouthpiece.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2023, 12:16:54 AM »

The space between the primaries and the general is large enough that it should be noted that there may be different main issues in the primary and the general. This was most obvious in 2008 (McCain and Obama were both nominated focusing on foreign policy, but the general election was obviously about the economy), but this was also noticeable in 2020 (the primaries were about competence and experience, while the general was very much about COVID specifically).

It should be noted that whatever the main issue of the primaries ends up being, the time gap between them and the general is such that the general may have a different main issue. (It remains noticeable and important to me that Romney was a much better candidate for the vibe of fall 2011 than fall 2012, and Hillary was a much better candidate for the vibe of fall 2015 than fall 2016. The length of the campaign is so extreme that sometimes the culture literally has time to change under candidates' feet.)
Hope For A New Era
EastOfEden
YaBB God

« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2023, 12:19:32 AM »

If Trump is the R nominee, "issues" will be irrelevant. The only issue will be Yes Trump or No Trump. As was the case in 2020.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2023, 08:43:23 PM »

Unknown.

COVID taking issue was totally out of nowhere from 2019. No one cared a d*&n about immigration until Trump said those things and went down an escalator. "We Built That" was literally built farcically from Obama's salient point that "job creators" didn't do the work alone.
MarkD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2023, 08:54:26 AM »

Is Dobbs v. Jackson Women's Health Organization any more of an accurate interpretation of the pertinent provisions of the Constitution than Roe v. Wade and Planned Parenthood v. Casey?
RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.26

« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2023, 10:00:29 AM »

Abortion and Culture Wars
Blow by blow, the passion dies
LeonelBrizola
YaBB God
Brazil

« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2023, 02:06:44 PM »

Abortion will be the biggest issue
Thank you for being a friend...
progressive85
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2023, 10:41:26 PM »

Honestly, based on what's getting the most coverage- two things: gender and sexuality, it's going to an up and down the ballot referendum on LGBTQ issues; and abortion/reproductive rights in general.

Donald Trump is now running as the man that's going to set a torch to the Rainbow Flag and promote traditional Biblical values.  He is the candidate of the Religious Right.

Joe Biden is going to run as a socially progressive incumbent.

The war over Gender and Sexuality and Reproduction is what it all is about.

The economy?  No, that's a decade ago.  Foreign policy?  That's two decades ago.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies