Income taxes
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 23, 2024, 12:21:36 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Income taxes
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Poll
Question: If you could legally not pay income taxes, would you:
Not pay any taxes

Volunteer 10% of my income

Volunteer 20% of my income

Volunteer 30% of my income

Volunteer more than 30% of my income

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 25

Author Topic: Income taxes  (Read 7529 times)
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 8.40, S: 2.80

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 02, 2007, 10:16:57 PM »

I am a bit obsessed with income taxes because I believe it is unconstitutional in the United States and not mandatory in Canada.

Suffice to say, hypothetically, you find a way to not pay income taxes.  What would you do?

I would pay NO taxes.  It is a direct tax and unappropiated.  It is wrong.  It is my money, my labor, my work, and I shall decide how to spend it.
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2007, 10:20:26 PM »

Actually, that depends.  If there were some way to earmark my tax money for certain government services, I would be willing to contribute a portion towards those ends.  I don't want to support any social programs though.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2007, 10:23:12 PM »

I am a bit obsessed with income taxes because I believe it is unconstitutional in the United States and not mandatory in Canada.

That's great.  I believe that the sky is orange and that the ocean is Gatorade.

This is kind of a dumb question because the entire point of taxes is that they're mandatory, in order to provide services to the general public while getting around the free rider problem.  Of course people wouldn't pay them if they were voluntary because they'd feel that everyone else should pay for their basic services instead.
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2007, 10:32:01 PM »

I'm asking what YOU would do.  I have enough knowledge to ensure I shall be paying minimal to no taxes through offshore corporate entities and holding companies.  I'm specializing my entire CA [CPA] designation around US and Canadian taxes.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2007, 11:01:39 PM »

Yes, the 16th amendment to the Constitution is clearly unconstitutional.
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.65

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2007, 11:04:10 PM »

No comment.  Tongue
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2007, 11:43:20 PM »

Yes, the 16th amendment to the Constitution is clearly unconstitutional.
Brushaber vs. Union Pacific Railroad, 1916.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2007, 12:26:03 AM »

Freed of the approximate 8-12% I'm taxed right now, I would probably force myself to donate a certain amount to a charity. But this is a stupid question anyway. There is no serious way to get around paying your taxes.
GOP = Terrorists
Progress

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2007, 03:35:28 AM »

I'd have no problem paying 70%+ of my income assuming that it is spent on worthwhile services.

Generally I find the anti-tax religion to be the most simplistic and idealistic on the planet and its believers to generally be the most worthless people to society.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2007, 04:54:09 AM »

Your income is apportioned to you by the State, so it is a bit silly to object in principle to taxation - 'its my money' and all that garbage.
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2007, 11:02:45 AM »

I'd have no problem paying 70%+ of my income assuming that it is spent on worthwhile services.

Generally I find the anti-tax religion to be the most simplistic and idealistic on the planet and its believers to generally be the most worthless people to society.
So there is a condition.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2007, 11:10:57 AM »

Volunteer more than 30% of my income to the government. I not only favor direct taxation but progressive direct taxation

I wish I was paying tax at a rate of 40%. I look at it this way, the more I earn the more I can afford to pay. I'd consider it a blessing Wink

Dave
CPT MikeyMike
mikeymike
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.58, S: -3.30

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2007, 11:13:48 AM »

I'm the biggest anti-tax person there is but I understand why we pay - heck it pays my salary but I still think the income tax is flawed and it needs to be at least a flat tax.

David S
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2007, 12:19:21 PM »

Volunteer more than 30% of my income to the government. I not only favor direct taxation but progressive direct taxation

I wish I was paying tax at a rate of 40%. I look at it this way, the more I earn the more I can afford to pay. I'd consider it a blessing Wink

Dave

I don't know how it works in the UK, but I'm guessing that if you volunteered to contribute more than the tax law requires they would not turn you away.
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2007, 12:39:51 PM »

Dave
Then put your actions where your mouth is and next time you file an income tax return, send a check to the government.  The UK government does accept donations, and you can even mark it for a special area of the budget.  Do you promise to do so?
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2007, 01:16:04 PM »

Dave
Then put your actions where your mouth is and next time you file an income tax return, send a check to the government.  The UK government does accept donations, and you can even mark it for a special area of the budget.  Do you promise to do so?

The point I was trying to make should have read I wish I was earning enough to pay tax at a rate of 40%, but until such time as I am, I'll pay my fair share and no more. But were my earnings to exceed £33,300 for the FY 2006/2007, which is where the top rate comes into effect, then I'd gladly pay tax at 40% on all income above that

But as it is my income is nowhere near the level at which I would pay tax at 40%, unfortunately Sad

Dave
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2007, 03:02:11 PM »

Oh I see.  So you too have a qualifier.

It seems everyone that is so convinced 40% is reasonable doesn't make enough to pay 40%.  Hence, everyone that is convinced 40% is reasonable is convinced that it is appropiate for others.

Noble.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2007, 03:07:28 PM »

Your income is apportioned to you by the State, so it is a bit silly to object in principle to taxation - 'its my money' and all that garbage.

Don't just say it. Prove it.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2007, 03:09:11 PM »

Don't just say it, prove it. Why are they worthless to society? Why are they simplistic and idealistic? What is worth to society? And what is wrong with simplicity, or idealism for that matter?
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2007, 03:09:20 PM »

I urge everyone that is not a liberal to research trusts and holding companies.  By utilizing trusts and holding companies, and also corporations of say, the Seychelles, one can reduce one's tax liability to zero (provided you are able to work for yourself).  This is without fancy tricks such as detaxcanada.org.  Smart, intelligent, educated people SHOULD know that it is possible to avoid paying any income taxes.  Many rich folks do it, and I encourage all conservatives and libertarians to do so.

One last hint: bearer-shareholder corporations are your friend.  And so is numbered corporations.  "832344724 Ontario Ltd." is a good example of a corporation that is difficult to remember and track.  Unfortunately Ontario does not allow bearer-shareholders, but Seychelles does which provides one with the ability to set up a completely anonymous corporation with unknown shareholders and one anonymous director.  Make that the holding company of say your numbered company in whichever jurisiction you like (perhaps jointly owned with another local numbered company), invest, and watch the tax people cringe trying to follow the money.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2007, 04:30:01 PM »

I urge everyone that is not a liberal to research trusts and holding companies.  By utilizing trusts and holding companies, and also corporations of say, the Seychelles, one can reduce one's tax liability to zero (provided you are able to work for yourself).  This is without fancy tricks such as detaxcanada.org.  Smart, intelligent, educated people SHOULD know that it is possible to avoid paying any income taxes.  Many rich folks do it, and I encourage all conservatives and libertarians to do so.

One last hint: bearer-shareholder corporations are your friend.  And so is numbered corporations.  "832344724 Ontario Ltd." is a good example of a corporation that is difficult to remember and track.  Unfortunately Ontario does not allow bearer-shareholders, but Seychelles does which provides one with the ability to set up a completely anonymous corporation with unknown shareholders and one anonymous director.  Make that the holding company of say your numbered company in whichever jurisiction you like (perhaps jointly owned with another local numbered company), invest, and watch the tax people cringe trying to follow the money.

That sounds like an awful lot of work just to get out of paying income taxes.
Citizen James
James42

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -2.78

« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2007, 04:54:27 PM »

Suffice to say, hypothetically, you find a way to not pay income taxes.  What would you do?

I would pay NO taxes.  It is a direct tax and unappropiated.  It is wrong.  It is my money, my labor, my work, and I shall decide how to spend it.

So, will you also forgo all those things that taxes pay for?  Roads to drive on, police services, that silly medical care canadians get?  Are you willing to sit in an armed compound with a shotgun and live it up wild west style?
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2007, 04:58:42 PM »

So, will you also forgo all those things that taxes pay for?  Roads to drive on, police services, that silly medical care canadians get?  Are you willing to sit in an armed compound with a shotgun and live it up wild west style?
James,

You know full well what his answer will be.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2007, 05:06:43 PM »

Once again here is the prove that show that John K. Galbraith was right all along when he said: "The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

Why is it when speaking of liberty in rightwing-speak it's always "not paying taxes", for me that's the last thing which comes to mind when speaking of liberty. Freedom of expression and freedom from any sort of restrictive morality (whether Legal or societal - yes libertarians there is more one of type of societal guidelides, not always put across by the state.) are more important to me.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2007, 06:21:36 PM »

People who recieve taxes must surely be considered more worthless to society than those who, albeit grudgingly, pay them? If, that is, we are to label people as worthless to society at all.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies