2023 NCAA conference realignment (12/20: the PAC-2 join the WCC)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 02:36:35 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  2023 NCAA conference realignment (12/20: the PAC-2 join the WCC)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12
Author Topic: 2023 NCAA conference realignment (12/20: the PAC-2 join the WCC)  (Read 6975 times)
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: August 04, 2023, 06:15:33 PM »

The ACC needs to do something. Add UConn, SMU, Cal, USF, freaking Appalachian State....I don't care who. Just do something!

Seems likely to me that they can't. The small schools stonewalled the big ones when they sought unequal revenue distribution. I'd bet the big schools were now stonewalling any expansion that would cut down their share of the revenue earnings. The conference is deadlocked.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #126 on: August 04, 2023, 06:27:31 PM »

The ACC won't bother expanding because none of the public schools in the conference have any intention of staying in it. All of them will end up in the SEC or Big 10, or Big 12 if neither of those 2 send an invite.
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #127 on: August 04, 2023, 06:34:06 PM »

The ACC won't bother expanding because none of the public schools in the conference have any intention of staying in it. All of them will end up in the SEC or Big 10, or Big 12 if neither of those 2 send an invite.

Valid. It's the same thing Texas and Oklahoma did while in the Big 12.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #128 on: August 04, 2023, 06:59:53 PM »

Whats stunning is if not for Larry Scott screwing things up, we would have had a Pac 16 back in 2011 with Texas and Oklahoma in the confrence.

Its amazing how his tenure ruined a once great conference.
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #129 on: August 04, 2023, 09:47:08 PM »

Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #130 on: August 05, 2023, 03:15:24 PM »

Idiots:

Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #131 on: August 05, 2023, 04:17:47 PM »

"Some of the teams in the NCAA are right here in the Pac-4."

https://pac-4.com/

Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #132 on: August 05, 2023, 10:26:43 PM »

Here's an article about a possible Mountain West/Pac-4 or 2 merger. The MW schools in "unattractive" markets must be over the moon about the possibility of lucking into being a member of the 5th best FBS and the top Pacific/Mountain time zone conference.

The New Mexico, Wyoming, and Nevada's of the MW would have never been added by the Pac-8 if it survived somehow. It would have only added schools from the most attractive markets like San Diego State and UNLV.

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/aztecs/story/2023-08-05/san-diego-state-sdsu-mountain-west-pac-12-conference-realignment-merger-oregon-state-washington-cal-stanford

"But what if the Pac-12 schools want a smaller conference with membership that augments media rights value?

Or put another way: What if they don’t want all the Mountain West schools?

Mountain West bylaws contain procedures for suspending members but not outright eliminating them, although rules can be changed with nine of 12 votes from its presidents. The founding Mountain West members would not be in immediate jeopardy, sources indicated, but San Jose State, Nevada and Hawaii might be.

A less-callous method to cull numbers is creating strict, minimum standards — financial and otherwise — for the merged league that might deter membership or lead to expulsion for schools failing to meet them."
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #133 on: August 05, 2023, 10:33:09 PM »

Here's an article about a possible Mountain West/Pac-4 or 2 merger. The MW schools in "unattractive" markets must be over the moon about the possibility of lucking into being a member of the 5th best FBS and the top Pacific/Mountain time zone conference.

The New Mexico, Wyoming, and Nevada's of the MW would have never been added by the Pac-8 if it survived somehow. It would have only added schools from the most attractive markets like San Diego State and UNLV.

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/aztecs/story/2023-08-05/san-diego-state-sdsu-mountain-west-pac-12-conference-realignment-merger-oregon-state-washington-cal-stanford

"But what if the Pac-12 schools want a smaller conference with membership that augments media rights value?

Or put another way: What if they don’t want all the Mountain West schools?

Mountain West bylaws contain procedures for suspending members but not outright eliminating them, although rules can be changed with nine of 12 votes from its presidents. The founding Mountain West members would not be in immediate jeopardy, sources indicated, but San Jose State, Nevada and Hawaii might be.

A less-callous method to cull numbers is creating strict, minimum standards — financial and otherwise — for the merged league that might deter membership or lead to expulsion for schools failing to meet them."

I think in that scenario, the only Mountain West School that gets axed is Hawaii. The others all have something else going for them. San Jose State has access to the San Francisco Media market and Nevada has secondary access to the Las Vegas media market (with UNLV). It's also plausible that Air Force is allowed to join Army and Navy as an Independent in this scenario, I can't picture the four remaining PAC-12 schools wanting a Service Academy in their conference.
Greedo punched first
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #134 on: August 05, 2023, 11:16:55 PM »

Will Hawaii remain in the Big West for most sports?
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #135 on: August 05, 2023, 11:22:51 PM »

Will Hawaii remain in the Big West for most sports?

Yes, or they'll join the WAC.
Greedo punched first
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #136 on: August 05, 2023, 11:24:34 PM »

Will Hawaii football remain in the Mountain West?
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #137 on: August 05, 2023, 11:46:50 PM »

Will Hawaii football remain in the Mountain West?

They might drop to the WAC if they are booted out of the Mountain West.
Greedo punched first
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #138 on: August 06, 2023, 12:04:36 AM »
« Edited: August 06, 2023, 12:09:08 AM by Eat my dust slimeball! »

Hawaii wants to remain FBS. A new Aloha Stadium will be built to FBS standards. Would Conference USA or independence be a possibility?
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #139 on: August 06, 2023, 12:11:29 AM »

Hawaii wants to remain FBS. A new Aloha Stadium will be built to FBS standards. Would Conference USA or independence be a possibility?

The WAC's been making noise about moving back to the FBS lately last time I checked.
Greedo punched first
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #140 on: August 06, 2023, 12:14:32 AM »

What's the future of the Mountain West?
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #141 on: August 06, 2023, 12:18:03 AM »

A merger with the PAC-12 in some form. The question is whether it takes the PAC-12 name or keeps the Mountain West name (I personally think it'll be the latter. I'm not sure how attached any of the remaining PAC-12 schools, with the possible exceptions of Stanford/Cal, actually are to the PAC-12 name.).
Greedo punched first
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #142 on: August 06, 2023, 12:24:55 AM »

Is San Diego State going to stay in the Mountain West?
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #143 on: August 06, 2023, 12:30:44 AM »

Now that the PAC-12 is dead, yes for the foreseeable future. I guess the Big Twelve could invite them and Boise State if they want to go to eighteen teams, but I think they'd be more interested in picking off a couple of ACC Teams instead (Florida State, Clemson, Virginia, Virginia Tech, Duke, North Carolina, Miami, possibly also Syracuse are all possible, plus UConn is probably in line ahead of all of those teams.)
Greedo punched first
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #144 on: August 06, 2023, 12:33:22 AM »

Now that the PAC-12 is dead, yes for the foreseeable future. I guess the Big Twelve could invite them and Boise State if they want to go to eighteen teams, but I think they'd be more interested in picking off a couple of ACC Teams instead (Florida State, Clemson, Virginia, Virginia Tech, Duke, North Carolina, Miami, possibly also Syracuse are all possible, plus UConn is probably in line ahead of all of those teams.)
Is UConn interested in building a better football program?
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #145 on: August 06, 2023, 12:39:49 AM »

That's a good question. Their other sports would fit well in the Big Twelve, but they might prefer to remain in the Big East, where they have a bunch of rivalries that they are used too. The last time they left the Big East for another conference, it didn't end well, and they might remember that too.
Greedo punched first
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #146 on: August 06, 2023, 12:41:59 AM »

That's a good question. Their other sports would fit well in the Big Twelve, but they might prefer to remain in the Big East, where they have a bunch of rivalries that they are used too. The last time they left the Big East for another conference, it didn't end well, and they might remember that too.
San Diego State basketball always has a home and home with BYU. Wouldn't the Big 12 make sense for San Diego State?
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #147 on: August 06, 2023, 12:43:33 AM »

San Diego State basketball always has a home and home with BYU. Wouldn't the Big 12 make sense for San Diego State?

In theory, yes. In practice, I think the Big Twelve would probably prefer to look east instead, and poach an ACC school or two (and about half the conference would be interested if asked).
Greedo punched first
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #148 on: August 06, 2023, 12:46:18 AM »

Is any conference other than the Big 12 plausible if San Diego State wants to join a power conference?
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #149 on: August 06, 2023, 12:56:32 AM »

Is any conference other than the Big 12 plausible if San Diego State wants to join a power conference?

Not with the PAC-12 dead. The Big Ten is the only other plausible option, and they'd be more interested in other schools (such as Florida State and Clemson). The SEC seems to be wedded to the idea of being in the Southeastern region of the United States. Even adding Oklahoma, Texas, Texas A&M and Missouri hasn't really removed that precondition. I imagine their next expansion moves would be Florida State, Clemson, North Carolina, and possibly Duke, Virginia and Louisville (and probably also Miami, but I can't imagine the SEC really needing three Florida schools. They'll choose whichever of Florida State and Miami doesn't get snapped up by the Big Ten).
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies