Nobody likes Kamala Harris lmao
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 11:02:02 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Nobody likes Kamala Harris lmao
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Author Topic: Nobody likes Kamala Harris lmao  (Read 3078 times)
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: February 08, 2023, 12:57:26 AM »

The point that is being missed is that a lot of women politicians are the subject of likability tests in ways that male politicians are not.
no, we saw it and there are two problems with this "point":
1.our retort of "she hasn't done anything, and what she has done before becoming VP, wasn't very good" is a very good one, we can tell, because there has never been a response to this that wasn't more of the same

I don't remember anyone of your ilk asking that question when failed governor Mike Pence was running for VP in 2016 and 2020.
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #51 on: February 08, 2023, 01:17:46 AM »

“Prominent female politician is unlikeable version 397.”

This obsession with someone as mundane as Harris is creepy, borderline incelly.

I think these comments would be more interesting, if people came with the argument in favor of Harris, instead of going "all criticism of her is because of sexism".
that's hard for them because there are no arguments in favor of Harris.

The point that is being missed is that a lot of women politicians are the subject of likability tests in ways that male politicians are not.

Women in positions of prominence are called shrill and that they screech. No man is ever described that way. And if she is very intelligent she is pilloried. Re: Hillary.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #52 on: February 08, 2023, 01:30:17 AM »

They really should have given Kamala a phone book to sit on at the SOTU tonight.  It’s never been more apparent how short she is.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #53 on: February 08, 2023, 04:47:15 AM »

I think these comments would be more interesting, if people came with the argument in favor of Harris, instead of going "all criticism of her is because of sexism".

It's one thing to be neutral on her, but I have not heard one convincing argument about why I should particularly dislike her.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #54 on: February 08, 2023, 04:51:49 AM »

It's one thing to be neutral on her, but I have not heard one convincing argument about why I should particularly dislike her.

LoL this is an SN thread
Ragnaroni
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.97, S: 1.74

P
« Reply #55 on: February 08, 2023, 05:01:55 AM »

I feel like its a situation of expectations, the first female and black VP ws expected to be way more refreshing and new. She's just average for a VP maybe a little below average. People are probably a bit disappointed with her.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #56 on: February 08, 2023, 05:15:49 AM »

1.our retort of "she hasn't done anything, and what she has done before becoming VP, wasn't very good" is a very good one, we can tell, because there has never been a response to this that wasn't more of the same

I don't remember anyone of your ilk asking that question when failed governor Mike Pence was running for VP in 2016 and 2020.
if Pence was running for President and there was a group of people here defending him, you'd have a mediocre point.  Since those things are not true, you have a very bad point.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #57 on: February 08, 2023, 05:19:13 AM »
« Edited: February 08, 2023, 05:23:24 AM by Landslide Lyndon »

if Pence was running for President and there was a group of people here defending him, you'd have a mediocre point.  Since those things are not true, you have a very bad point.

Funny you'd say that because right now Pence is running for President while Harris isn't.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #58 on: February 08, 2023, 05:37:50 AM »

if Pence was running for President and there was a group of people here defending him, you'd have a mediocre point.  Since those things are not true, you have a very bad point.

Funny you'd say that because right now Pence is running for President while Harris isn't.
if he is, and this is the first I'm hearing of it, nobody funking cares.  I promise you if someone starts a negative thread on him and a group of posters defends him, I will calmly explain why they are wrong/make fun of them too.

and Google doesn't think he's running...do you have a cite for this?  Wiki mentions that it was reported that he had filed to run for POTUS in Dec 22, but that story was a fake.

It wasn't a horrible attempt at whataboutery, but it kind of fails all the tests.  What else you got?  you've tried "call them racist", you've tried "call them women haters", you've tried "VPs don't do much", maybe it's time to blame Biden for not giving her easy tasks to accomplish.  Or "the powers that be" in the Democratic Party leadership, maybe they could be blamed?
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #59 on: February 08, 2023, 05:43:24 AM »

if he is, and this is the first I'm hearing of it, nobody funking cares.  I promise you if someone starts a negative thread on him and a group of posters defends him, I will calmly explain why they are wrong/make fun of them too.

Yeah, knowing who you are I won't be holding my breath.

Unless of course Pence comes out in favor of gun control. Then you'll go after him with everything you got.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #60 on: February 08, 2023, 05:45:23 AM »

so, no cite then?
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #61 on: February 08, 2023, 06:02:22 AM »

I've heard several legitimate things, but they're all things that progressives care about, not swing voters or Republicans. Basically, nothing that would hurt her in an election against a Republican.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #62 on: February 08, 2023, 10:03:59 AM »
« Edited: February 09, 2023, 09:42:16 AM by The Dowager Mod »

if he is, and this is the first I'm hearing of it, nobody funking cares.  I promise you if someone starts a negative thread on him and a group of posters defends him, I will calmly explain why they are wrong/make fun of them too.

Unless of course Pence comes out in favor of gun control. Then you'll go after him with everything you got.

What a pathetic post. He proved you wrong so you automatically fall back on moronic strawmen that are completely disconnected from the subject at hand.
Saint Milei
DeadPrez
Atlas Politician
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -7.91

« Reply #63 on: February 08, 2023, 11:55:26 AM »

And who does like you?

these hoes
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #64 on: February 08, 2023, 12:00:55 PM »

I'm confused about exactly what she is supposed to be doing?

I don't know, maybe find some way---any way---to demonstrate that the country would be in good hands with her as President.

Vice President is a crappy job unless you're Dick Cheney, yes, so on one level I sympathize (and yes, she's the most prominent black female politician in the country, so of course she's going to get a lot of nasty, bigoted, and unfair criticism).

That being said:

This isn't incongruent with Kamala Harris being a lousy potential presidential candidate/nominee and/or President. Both things can be true.

The thing is that her experience makes her qualified to be second in line. The past few Vice Presidents have had less executive experience. I can't even think of a Vice President that has done much to demonstrate that they would be a good President or much else because they've pretty much stayed in the background.

Pondering likability isn't an indictment on qualifications.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #65 on: February 08, 2023, 12:28:42 PM »

if he is, and this is the first I'm hearing of it, nobody funking cares.  I promise you if someone starts a negative thread on him and a group of posters defends him, I will calmly explain why they are wrong/make fun of them too.

What a pathetic post. He proved you wrong so you automatically fall back on moronic strawmen that are completely disconnected from the subject at hand. It’s like you’re mentally incapable of contributing positively to this forum.

The moment a Libertarian avatar starts praising me, I'll start thinking what I did wrong.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #66 on: February 08, 2023, 01:07:13 PM »

What a pathetic post. He proved you wrong so you automatically fall back on moronic strawmen that are completely disconnected from the subject at hand. It’s like you’re mentally incapable of contributing positively to this forum.

The moment a Libertarian avatar starts praising me, I'll start thinking what I did wrong.

It's amusing that you hate Trump so much. Your coping mechanisms for when you make a mistake are very similar. Never admit you're wrong-- just distract with ad hominems, non-sequiturs, and whataboutisms.
SInNYC

« Reply #67 on: February 08, 2023, 01:07:25 PM »

Actually read her briefing papers, which chatter (from the D side) indicates she doesnt.

Manage her staff, which reports (including some not from Fox/Newmax/NYPost/etc) indicate has not gone well.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #68 on: February 08, 2023, 01:08:58 PM »

This is an SN thread it doesn't matter what he thinks about Harris, Harris beat Pence in the Debate in 20 and she will beat any Veep that the RS select next Time
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #69 on: February 08, 2023, 01:16:05 PM »

It's amusing that you hate Trump so much. Your coping mechanisms for when you make a mistake are very similar. Never admit you're wrong-- just distract with ad hominems, non-sequiturs, and whataboutisms.

Ok hater.
Liminal Trans Girl
Lawer
United States

P P P
« Reply #70 on: February 08, 2023, 01:24:44 PM »

I think this comment would be more interesting if anyone made an argument against Harris that’s not

“I don’t like her.”  

“Why?”

“ITS NOT BECAUSE I HAVE A PROBLEM WITH BLACK WOMEN NO SIR”

Harris is a boring politician, neither particularly accomplished nor controversial. Frankly I can’t see why she’d occupy more than a second of anyone’s time. The only thing remarkable about her, save being VP, is that she’s the first woman & person of colour to get there. It’s really not that hard to work out where the obsession comes from - people wouldn’t be making these threads about Vice President Tim Kaine or Vice President Evan Bayh.

Actually False, Charles Curtis was the first person of color to become VP
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #71 on: February 08, 2023, 02:18:34 PM »

Kamala Harris is interesting because she's a machine politician. There aren't a lot of those left because there aren't a lot of real machines left in America, but San Francisco has one and she's part of it. The political skills that have gotten her to this position aren't really electoral but instead involve forming connections, which she has in spades in San Francisco and in Sacramento.

The last time there was a vice president like this, he was only in that position for a matter of months before Franklin D. Roosevelt died and he became president. We're in sort of uncharted territory with a vice president like her, and right now she's in a job with no clear responsibilities, cut off from her source of strength in California and mostly cut off even from Congress.

The media framing of her in the last two years suggests two things, both of which can be true:

• Kamala Harris has not endeared herself to people she has needed to make strong connections with and she has consequently struggled to have any sort of role in the current administration.
  • People in positions to talk to reporters see Kamala Harris as a potential rival and so they're informing against her to the press.

That Gavin Newsom is very openly looking to run for president suggests that Harris really has missed an opportunity, because they can't realistically both run serious campaigns and Newsom wouldn't be so bold if he thought that she had a real shot. If she does just go back to California when her time as vice president is through, that would be very normal for vice presidents.
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #72 on: February 08, 2023, 03:22:10 PM »

Ok, so what if Kamala is or isn't good at her job?

Some women just aren't cut out for a particular job. It happens. Plenty of men aren't good at their jobs, either. So what?
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #73 on: February 08, 2023, 08:24:43 PM »
« Edited: February 08, 2023, 08:37:01 PM by All Along The Watchtower »

Some women just aren't cut out for a particular job. It happens. Plenty of men aren't good at their jobs, either. So what?

So what? So she should resign or at the very least not run for renomination as VP being one 80-year old man’s heartbeat away from the Presidency. She’s not some mid-level middle manager in some obscure corner of corporate America ffs. The stakes are a tad higher here, don’t you think?

Not that I expect her to resign or leave the ticket, of course. And I don’t actually feel strongly about whether either of those moves would be politically beneficial or cause big backlash for Biden—very plausibly both, perhaps canceling out the effects of Harris leaving either way.

And honestly, all criticisms aside: I’m open to being proven wrong about Harris—in fact, I hope I am. Assuming she stays on the ticket next year and she and Biden are re-elected, I would breathe easier because my expectations for Democrats’ chances in 2028 are pretty low as is, so if Biden died or had to resign for ill health in his second term I would hope that a Harris Presidency would defy the skeptics and actually turn out pretty good. This can happen—I never expected Biden to win the Democratic Party presidential nomination, nevermind defeat Trump and do much better as President than he had any right to!
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #74 on: February 08, 2023, 08:58:49 PM »
« Edited: February 08, 2023, 09:03:18 PM by hermit »

So what? So she should resign or at the very least not run for renomination as VP being one 80-year old man’s heartbeat away from the Presidency. She’s not some mid-level middle manager in some obscure corner of corporate America ffs. The stakes are a tad higher here, don’t you think?

Not that I expect her to resign or leave the ticket, of course. And I don’t actually feel strongly about whether either of those moves would be politically beneficial or cause big backlash for Biden—very plausibly both, perhaps canceling out the effects of Harris leaving either way.

And honestly, all criticisms aside: I’m open to being proven wrong about Harris—in fact, I hope I am. Assuming she stays on the ticket next year and she and Biden are re-elected, I would breathe easier because my expectations for Democrats’ chances in 2028 are pretty low as is, so if Biden died or had to resign for ill health in his second term I would hope that a Harris Presidency would defy the skeptics and actually turn out pretty good. This can happen—I never expected Biden to win the Democratic Party presidential nomination, nevermind defeat Trump and do much better as President than he had any right to!

I think Kamala would surprise everyone if she rose to power if somehow Biden became incapacitated. It would be wise never to count her out just because of a personal bias or whatever. I don't have a problem with her at all like some posters here. If she became president I would be happy to see it. Even if she turned out to be mediocre I'll bet she would be still 100 times better than the orange buffoon.

Better than Nikki Haley for sure.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies