Opinion of fifth wave emo?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 05:20:17 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Opinion of fifth wave emo?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Opinion of fifth wave emo (Parannoul, etc...)
FF

HP

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 6

Author Topic: Opinion of fifth wave emo?  (Read 317 times)
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -4.78

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 13, 2023, 05:15:37 PM »

Guide to Fifth Wave Emo (Post-Emo)

Emo is a broadly defined genre, but some trends have manifested into movements because of aspects shared between artists that culminate in a sound that, while varied, is usually distinctive enough from its predecessors that they can be grouped together into a "wave." The waves, as they're commonly understood, are as follows:

- First Wave: 1980's Emocore
- Second Wave: 1990's Midwest Emo
- Third Wave: Early 2000's Emo-Pop
- Fourth Wave: Late 2000s-Early 2010's "Midwest Emo Revival"

While there are plenty of examples of musicians outside of these movements that share influences or ideas with those in the movements, Emo as a whole is usually defined with these parameters. But this list has an obvious gap: what about everything after the early 2010's? I've been in the scene since the mid-aughts in online spaces and out in the world, and I felt the rush of influence with each wave I was able to see pass me by, but the mid and late 2010's were a challenging time for the genre, as it was going through a bit of a identity crisis. Movements were suggested, but because the artists were either too unlike their peers to make connections (eg: the handful of unrelated artists combining dream pop and emo) or were working within existing frameworks (eg: the emo-pop revival "Weed Emo" being more linked to pop punk than emo), no central idea of a fifth wave was agreed upon.

That is, until now.

The seeds sown by different acts over the years are finally being reaped by a new generation of talent, and the waning popularity of the genre since its last peak of 2014 is now seemingly at an end. The "Fifth Wave," sometimes called Post-Emo, is the genre's weird moment. Perhaps as an answer to the genre's perceived stagnation over the years or simply a celebration of what makes the genre so compelling, its fluidity in definition but consistency in purpose and effect on audiences, the new movement is more concerned with pushing the limits of the genre and seeing just how far they can take the sound while still being Emo. Some are incorporating shoegaze, or bedroom pop, or chiptune, or all three and more, while others are so difficult to categorize that all we can do is slap an experimental rock tag and listen. Yet even with their only similarity being how irreverent and different they are, the artists in the sound regularly collaborate online, share each other's art, and, during quarantine, have gathered to stream concerts in video games like Minecraft or Roblox. While it wasn't so obvious in 2020 that this would become a thing, it's almost undeniable now, especially as some artists are reaching the heights of the charts not just in their years but of all time.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2023, 05:30:41 PM »

Whatever BRTD thinks of it, I likely believe the opposite.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2023, 06:51:26 PM »

What do you think of it?
Neo-Malthusian Misanthrope
Seef
Canada

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: 1.57

P
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2023, 09:57:58 PM »

I listened to that Parannoul album because it had good reviews, and enjoyed it. I like that kind of digital shoegaze, in the vein of Sweet Trip or that one album with the anime cover whose name escapes me that was found in a thrift store with a bunch of disk rot, so seeing it influence other genres is a positive to me. Not sure if I've heard anything else on that list.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2023, 05:20:21 PM »
« Edited: January 15, 2023, 05:30:54 PM by Senator Laki »

I listened to that Parannoul album because it had good reviews, and enjoyed it. I like that kind of digital shoegaze, in the vein of Sweet Trip or that one album with the anime cover whose name escapes me that was found in a thrift store with a bunch of disk rot, so seeing it influence other genres is a positive to me. Not sure if I've heard anything else on that list.

I love digital shoegaze.

Ive listened about between 5 to 10 albums from that list.

파란노을 [Parannoul] - To See the Next Part of the Dream (2021)
sonhos tomam conta - Hypnagogia (2021)
파란노을 [Parannoul] / Asian Glow / sonhos tomam conta - Downfall of the Neon Youth (2021)
Della Zyr - 비타민과 우려 Vitamins and Apprehension (2022)
sonhos tomam conta - Insolação (2022) [EP]
sonhos tomam conta- Maladaptive Daydreaming (2022)

Not mentioned in list yet but also listened:

moondaughter - Phosphenes and Iridescent Lights (2022)
Della Zyr  - 모호함 속의 너 Nebulous You (2022)

I have not listened to other emo waves tho.

Big fan of Sweet Trip too

Lots of Della Zyr too.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies