BREAKING: US has traded Russian arms dealer, Viktor Bout (Merchant of Death) for Brittney Griner
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 10:31:02 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  BREAKING: US has traded Russian arms dealer, Viktor Bout (Merchant of Death) for Brittney Griner
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10
Poll
Question: Do you support this prisoner swap?
Yes (D)

No (D)

Yes (R)

No (R)

Yes (O)

No (O)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 126

Author Topic: BREAKING: US has traded Russian arms dealer, Viktor Bout (Merchant of Death) for Brittney Griner  (Read 8285 times)
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -5.04

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #200 on: December 11, 2022, 02:36:30 PM »

Brittney Griner DOES hate America; let's stop kidding ourselves.  She's not "showing her patriotism in a different way" or some kind of drivel like that.  She has had nothing but criticism in her public statements, and she delights in the offense she causes among millions of Americans who believe that America is a fundamentally GOOD nation that has, on balance, been a force for Good in the World. 

Once upon a time, there was a man who had a wife.  In his conversation with his wife he would almost always be critical about her personality, and her family (how she came from a line of losers), how they were this and that negative quality.  He would always acknowledge her as his wife, but he would be openly critical of her (she needs to lose weight "for her health", she "doesn't understand him", etc.  You get the drift.  As to telling his wife that he loves her, this husband would say things like "You know I love you!", or (even worse) "I've already told you that."  Now this husband did fulfill his obligation to work, pay the bills, etc. and he did not cheat.

Does this man love his wife?  Of course not; he hates and despises her.  He doesn't want that reputation, because that reputation is inconvenient, but he hates her.  Someone who loves their wife shows it.  Someone who loves their wife emphasizes the positive and discusses their differences discreetly.  And someone who loves their wife (or their parents, or their kids, for that matter) affirms that every day.  People who can't do that are people who don't love their wives but don't want the whole world to know that.

This hypothetical example illustrates Brittney Griner's feelings toward America.  She hates it.  Until, of course, she needs America to save her from the wrath of Mad Vlad.  These husbands have their "Mad Vlad" days as well, when they realize that they NEED their wife, but their wife, after being mentally and emotionally loathed comes to their aid, but the years of emotional neglect shows in her lack of an enthusiastic response.  That's where I am with Brittney Griner, and where millions of Americans are with this issue.  We're glad she's home because she's one of the family.  But she's been a lousy family member.  I'm hoping that this experience will prove transformative for Griner, but to tell me that Brittney Griner doesn't hate America is to tell me that it's raining while you allow your to relieve himself/herself on my pant leg.
You're extrapolating all of that from the fact that Giner dares to question why the national anthem is played before sporting events?

What a disingenuous, reductivist, and altogether lazy way to process the views of people who don't agree with you.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #201 on: December 11, 2022, 02:41:26 PM »

Brittney Griner DOES hate America; let's stop kidding ourselves.  She's not "showing her patriotism in a different way" or some kind of drivel like that.  She has had nothing but criticism in her public statements, and she delights in the offense she causes among millions of Americans who believe that America is a fundamentally GOOD nation that has, on balance, been a force for Good in the World. 

Once upon a time, there was a man who had a wife.  In his conversation with his wife he would almost always be critical about her personality, and her family (how she came from a line of losers), how they were this and that negative quality.  He would always acknowledge her as his wife, but he would be openly critical of her (she needs to lose weight "for her health", she "doesn't understand him", etc.  You get the drift.  As to telling his wife that he loves her, this husband would say things like "You know I love you!", or (even worse) "I've already told you that."  Now this husband did fulfill his obligation to work, pay the bills, etc. and he did not cheat.

Does this man love his wife?  Of course not; he hates and despises her.  He doesn't want that reputation, because that reputation is inconvenient, but he hates her.  Someone who loves their wife shows it.  Someone who loves their wife emphasizes the positive and discusses their differences discreetly.  And someone who loves their wife (or their parents, or their kids, for that matter) affirms that every day.  People who can't do that are people who don't love their wives but don't want the whole world to know that.

This hypothetical example illustrates Brittney Griner's feelings toward America.  She hates it.  Until, of course, she needs America to save her from the wrath of Mad Vlad.  These husbands have their "Mad Vlad" days as well, when they realize that they NEED their wife, but their wife, after being mentally and emotionally loathed comes to their aid, but the years of emotional neglect shows in her lack of an enthusiastic response.  That's where I am with Brittney Griner, and where millions of Americans are with this issue.  We're glad she's home because she's one of the family.  But she's been a lousy family member.  I'm hoping that this experience will prove transformative for Griner, but to tell me that Brittney Griner doesn't hate America is to tell me that it's raining while you allow your to relieve himself/herself on my pant leg.

Do you honestly believe that a) criticizing America means you hate it or that b) the relationship between a husband and his wife is in any way, shape, or form comparable to the relationship between a person and their country?

When a person's public rhetoric is nothing but criticism and when their public gestures are those with affirmatively deny a sense of connectedness with America (e. g. conspicuously standing for the Anthem, as opposed to passively standing), then, yes, that's hatred.  Not the hatred of the ranting lunatic, but the hatred of the person who would see you being mugged and not call the cops, or who would see you injured and not render aid if it were inconvenient to do so.

What evidence is there that Brittany Griner has any positive vibe for America?  We've seen the hostility; you show me the other side of the coin.  America has its faults, and I've certainly been critical of America in my lifetime, but where's the sense of anything positive that Griner feels toward America, as a nation (as opposed to her "community" or "Americans of Color" or any subgroup that does not reflect America as a whole)?

Kneeling for the national anthem does not mean that she hates America. That’s a ridiculous assertion.

To me, loving America should be more about the values you hold and the sort of changes that you want to see, the idea that we can do better, rather than purely performative gestures like flag-waving or singing the national anthem.

I have not been a big "flag waver" for most of my life, and I have, for most of my life, considered patriotism to be the last refuge of a scoundrel.  "My Country, Right or Wrong" includes the proposition that when one's Country is not right, it is to be set right.  But there needs to be in that the belief that America is a GOOD Nation.  Implicit in the "kneeling" gesture is the belief that America is not a Good Nation, but something much less.  And Brittney Griner's rhetoric and public stances give no evidence that she views America as such.  

Lots of scoundrels have waved the Flag or thumped the Bible; God and Country have, indeed, been the last refuge of many scoundrels.  But so has "Racism" "Sexism", and any number of bias complaints these days.  I submit that the use of these refuges do not nullify those who truly care for America, truly seek God's Will, and are truly seeking remedies to the "isms" that plague us.  Brittney Griner isn't part of that, however.  And she doesn't wish to be part of it, other than the "taking" part of it.  Standing for the Anthem is a gesture of affirming that you are, at a minimum, a part of America and wish it well.  It's a minimum, but Griner could not even do that.

I'll give her time to rethink her position, but I'm not holding my breath.
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #202 on: December 11, 2022, 02:55:14 PM »

Brittney Griner DOES hate America; let's stop kidding ourselves.  She's not "showing her patriotism in a different way" or some kind of drivel like that.  She has had nothing but criticism in her public statements, and she delights in the offense she causes among millions of Americans who believe that America is a fundamentally GOOD nation that has, on balance, been a force for Good in the World.  

Once upon a time, there was a man who had a wife.  In his conversation with his wife he would almost always be critical about her personality, and her family (how she came from a line of losers), how they were this and that negative quality.  He would always acknowledge her as his wife, but he would be openly critical of her (she needs to lose weight "for her health", she "doesn't understand him", etc.  You get the drift.  As to telling his wife that he loves her, this husband would say things like "You know I love you!", or (even worse) "I've already told you that."  Now this husband did fulfill his obligation to work, pay the bills, etc. and he did not cheat.

Does this man love his wife?  Of course not; he hates and despises her.  He doesn't want that reputation, because that reputation is inconvenient, but he hates her.  Someone who loves their wife shows it.  Someone who loves their wife emphasizes the positive and discusses their differences discreetly.  And someone who loves their wife (or their parents, or their kids, for that matter) affirms that every day.  People who can't do that are people who don't love their wives but don't want the whole world to know that.

This hypothetical example illustrates Brittney Griner's feelings toward America.  She hates it.  Until, of course, she needs America to save her from the wrath of Mad Vlad.  These husbands have their "Mad Vlad" days as well, when they realize that they NEED their wife, but their wife, after being mentally and emotionally loathed comes to their aid, but the years of emotional neglect shows in her lack of an enthusiastic response.  That's where I am with Brittney Griner, and where millions of Americans are with this issue.  We're glad she's home because she's one of the family.  But she's been a lousy family member.  I'm hoping that this experience will prove transformative for Griner, but to tell me that Brittney Griner doesn't hate America is to tell me that it's raining while you allow your to relieve himself/herself on my pant leg.

Do you honestly believe that a) criticizing America means you hate it or that b) the relationship between a husband and his wife is in any way, shape, or form comparable to the relationship between a person and their country?

When a person's public rhetoric is nothing but criticism and when their public gestures are those with affirmatively deny a sense of connectedness with America (e. g. conspicuously standing for the Anthem, as opposed to passively standing), then, yes, that's hatred.  Not the hatred of the ranting lunatic, but the hatred of the person who would see you being mugged and not call the cops, or who would see you injured and not render aid if it were inconvenient to do so.

What evidence is there that Brittany Griner has any positive vibe for America?  We've seen the hostility; you show me the other side of the coin.  America has its faults, and I've certainly been critical of America in my lifetime, but where's the sense of anything positive that Griner feels toward America, as a nation (as opposed to her "community" or "Americans of Color" or any subgroup that does not reflect America as a whole)?

Kneeling for the national anthem does not mean that she hates America. That’s a ridiculous assertion.

To me, loving America should be more about the values you hold and the sort of changes that you want to see, the idea that we can do better, rather than purely performative gestures like flag-waving or singing the national anthem.

I have not been a big "flag waver" for most of my life, and I have, for most of my life, considered patriotism to be the last refuge of a scoundrel.  "My Country, Right or Wrong" includes the proposition that when one's Country is not right, it is to be set right.  But there needs to be in that the belief that America is a GOOD Nation.  Implicit in the "kneeling" gesture is the belief that America is not a Good Nation, but something much less.  And Brittney Griner's rhetoric and public stances give no evidence that she views America as such.  

Lots of scoundrels have waved the Flag or thumped the Bible; God and Country have, indeed, been the last refuge of many scoundrels.  But so has "Racism" "Sexism", and any number of bias complaints these days.  I submit that the use of these refuges do not nullify those who truly care for America, truly seek God's Will, and are truly seeking remedies to the "isms" that plague us.  Brittney Griner isn't part of that, however.  And she doesn't wish to be part of it, other than the "taking" part of it.  Standing for the Anthem is a gesture of affirming that you are, at a minimum, a part of America and wish it well.  It's a minimum, but Griner could not even do that.

It's increasingly clear that you've never actually listened to any of Griner's actual statements about why she didn't want to stand for the anthem during the WNBA season. You've just made up your mind that anyone who doesn't stand for the anthem "hates America" so that you don't even have to engage with their actual words and beliefs on the subject.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #203 on: December 11, 2022, 03:03:27 PM »

Standing for the Anthem is a gesture of affirming that you are, at a minimum, a part of America and wish it well.  It's a minimum, but Griner could not even do that.

It is not the minimum.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #204 on: December 11, 2022, 03:04:54 PM »

I do fully agree with her that playing the national anthem at every WNBA game is stupid, but playing it in international competition is fine. I'm also fine with kneeling - there is nothing inherently disrespectful about kneeling.

There is a white American man, Marc Fogel, in prison in Russia for basically exactly the same thing Griner did. Fogel has been in Russian custody for longer, yet the State Department has not declared him unlawfully detained (which is true, as it was for Griner), and they haven't lifted a finger for him, apparently doing far more for scumbag Whelan. The only conclusion I can draw is Griner got special treatment because her arrest happened to be timely to push US government narratives about Russia, and the fact that she is a black sports star who trolls Republicans only helped her cause even more with the Biden administration.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #205 on: December 11, 2022, 03:10:40 PM »

Brittney Griner DOES hate America; let's stop kidding ourselves.  She's not "showing her patriotism in a different way" or some kind of drivel like that.  She has had nothing but criticism in her public statements, and she delights in the offense she causes among millions of Americans who believe that America is a fundamentally GOOD nation that has, on balance, been a force for Good in the World.  

Once upon a time, there was a man who had a wife.  In his conversation with his wife he would almost always be critical about her personality, and her family (how she came from a line of losers), how they were this and that negative quality.  He would always acknowledge her as his wife, but he would be openly critical of her (she needs to lose weight "for her health", she "doesn't understand him", etc.  You get the drift.  As to telling his wife that he loves her, this husband would say things like "You know I love you!", or (even worse) "I've already told you that."  Now this husband did fulfill his obligation to work, pay the bills, etc. and he did not cheat.

Does this man love his wife?  Of course not; he hates and despises her.  He doesn't want that reputation, because that reputation is inconvenient, but he hates her.  Someone who loves their wife shows it.  Someone who loves their wife emphasizes the positive and discusses their differences discreetly.  And someone who loves their wife (or their parents, or their kids, for that matter) affirms that every day.  People who can't do that are people who don't love their wives but don't want the whole world to know that.

This hypothetical example illustrates Brittney Griner's feelings toward America.  She hates it.  Until, of course, she needs America to save her from the wrath of Mad Vlad.  These husbands have their "Mad Vlad" days as well, when they realize that they NEED their wife, but their wife, after being mentally and emotionally loathed comes to their aid, but the years of emotional neglect shows in her lack of an enthusiastic response.  That's where I am with Brittney Griner, and where millions of Americans are with this issue.  We're glad she's home because she's one of the family.  But she's been a lousy family member.  I'm hoping that this experience will prove transformative for Griner, but to tell me that Brittney Griner doesn't hate America is to tell me that it's raining while you allow your to relieve himself/herself on my pant leg.

When a person's public rhetoric is nothing but criticism and when their public gestures are those with affirmatively deny a sense of connectedness with America (e. g. conspicuously standing for the Anthem, as opposed to passively standing), then, yes, that's hatred.  Not the hatred of the ranting lunatic, but the hatred of the person who would see you being mugged and not call the cops, or who would see you injured and not render aid if it were inconvenient to do so.

What evidence is there that Brittany Griner has any positive vibe for America?  We've seen the hostility; you show me the other side of the coin.  America has its faults, and I've certainly been critical of America in my lifetime, but where's the sense of anything positive that Griner feels toward America, as a nation (as opposed to her "community" or "Americans of Color" or any subgroup that does not reflect America as a whole)?

It's increasingly clear that you've never actually listened to any of Griner's actual statements about why she didn't want to stand for the anthem during the WNBA season. You've just made up your mind that anyone who doesn't stand for the anthem "hates America" so that you don't even have to engage with their actual words and beliefs on the subject.

Well, then, enlighten me.  What are the statements that disprove the assertion that Brittney Griner hates America?
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #206 on: December 11, 2022, 03:20:34 PM »

Well, then, enlighten me.  What are the statements that disprove the assertion that Brittney Griner hates America?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2020/07/28/brittney-griner-brianna-turner-call-wnba-stop-playing-national-anthem-this-season/
I honestly feel we should not play the national anthem during our season,” Griner said (via the Arizona Republic). “I think we should take that much of a stand.”

No players were on the court Saturday when the Mercury played the Los Angeles Sparks in a protest calling for justice for Breonna Taylor, a black woman who was shot and killed by police in Louisville in March, and other victims of police brutality.

“I’m not going to be out there for the national anthem. If the league continues to want to play it, that’s fine,” she added. “It will be all season long, I’ll not be out there. I feel like more are going to probably do the same thing. I can only speak for myself. At the Olympics, I understand you’re playing for your country at that point.”

Griner chose to wear Taylor’s name on her uniform this season, with WNBA and NBA players allowed to add victims’ names to their apparel. “We don’t get asked enough what’s going on in our communities, and I think that’s a shame,” Griner said earlier this month. “Yeah, we’re here to play basketball. But basketball doesn’t mean anything in a world where we can’t just live. We can’t wake up and do whatever we want to do. Go for a run, go to the store to buy some candy, drive your car without the fear of being wrongfully pulled over.

“I just want to challenge everybody to do more. Write the story that might be tough. Take a chance. Ask a question that’s tough. Don’t let it be silent.”

Griner said Monday that she believed “we should not play the national anthem during our season,” a 22-game schedule compressed because of the coronavirus pandemic. Like Colin Kaepernick and others in sports, she is clear that her message does not concern the military or the flag. It’s about police brutality and social injustice.

“I don’t mean that in any disrespect to our country. My dad was in Vietnam and a law officer for 30 years,” she said. “I wanted to be a cop before basketball. I do have pride for my country.”
Certainly doesn't sound to me like someone who "hates America." Your turn. Please present Brittney Griner's most offensive statement. The one that really pushed you over the edge and made you think, "Well this girl obviously hates America." You've been going on and on about how much of an expert you are on Griner's views on America, so I assume you have something really juicy on deck for us.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #207 on: December 11, 2022, 03:28:08 PM »

Saying you don't mean to disrespect America after you knowingly disrespect Americans (it may not be disrespectful in a vacuum, but the average person is dumb and nationalistic, so they will consider it disrespectful) doesn't really change anyone's mind.
Secretary of State Liberal Hack
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« Reply #208 on: December 11, 2022, 03:29:08 PM »

This is absurdly stupid, let's use game theory here. Western democracies can't nab random russian citizens and jail them on trumped up charges, nor would Russia be inclined to take it seriously unless those individuals were significant figures with connections to elites.

By undertaking this exchange Biden has given an incentive for every authoritarian dictatorship to nab random Americans as bargaining chips.
Secretary of State Liberal Hack
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« Reply #209 on: December 11, 2022, 03:31:01 PM »

The US government, like every national government, has a fundamental responsibility to protect its citizens from undue harm. That's what the legitimacy of government originates in. A citizen unjustly imprisoned abroad for a single clapped out arms dealer is a fair trade to me. Unless you believe a government has no obligation to safeguard its citizenry, I don't get the argument against.
The argument against is that by exchanging in such negotiations you reward countries for arresting Americans on trumped up charges and make Americans abroad far less safe in the long run.
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #210 on: December 11, 2022, 03:32:36 PM »

Saying you don't mean to disrespect America after you knowingly disrespect Americans (it may not be disrespectful in a vacuum, but the average person is dumb and nationalistic, so they will consider it disrespectful) doesn't really change anyone's mind.
I certainly agree that anyone who is legitimately offended by athletes sitting out the national anthem is dumb and nationalistic. But the question here isn’t whether she offended anyone or even whether boycotting the anthem is a particularly productive form of advocacy. The question is whether, as Fuzzy asserts, that is enough to go around saying that a person hates America.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #211 on: December 11, 2022, 03:41:21 PM »

Lol that’s not how it works. You’re making the assertion that she hates America, the burden of proof is on you.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #212 on: December 11, 2022, 03:42:53 PM »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2020/07/28/brittney-griner-brianna-turner-call-wnba-stop-playing-national-anthem-this-season/
I honestly feel we should not play the national anthem during our season,” Griner said (via the Arizona Republic). “I think we should take that much of a stand.”

No players were on the court Saturday when the Mercury played the Los Angeles Sparks in a protest calling for justice for Breonna Taylor, a black woman who was shot and killed by police in Louisville in March, and other victims of police brutality.

“I’m not going to be out there for the national anthem. If the league continues to want to play it, that’s fine,” she added. “It will be all season long, I’ll not be out there. I feel like more are going to probably do the same thing. I can only speak for myself. At the Olympics, I understand you’re playing for your country at that point.”

Griner chose to wear Taylor’s name on her uniform this season, with WNBA and NBA players allowed to add victims’ names to their apparel. “We don’t get asked enough what’s going on in our communities, and I think that’s a shame,” Griner said earlier this month. “Yeah, we’re here to play basketball. But basketball doesn’t mean anything in a world where we can’t just live. We can’t wake up and do whatever we want to do. Go for a run, go to the store to buy some candy, drive your car without the fear of being wrongfully pulled over.

“I just want to challenge everybody to do more. Write the story that might be tough. Take a chance. Ask a question that’s tough. Don’t let it be silent.”

Griner said Monday that she believed “we should not play the national anthem during our season,” a 22-game schedule compressed because of the coronavirus pandemic. Like Colin Kaepernick and others in sports, she is clear that her message does not concern the military or the flag. It’s about police brutality and social injustice.

“I don’t mean that in any disrespect to our country. My dad was in Vietnam and a law officer for 30 years,” she said. “I wanted to be a cop before basketball. I do have pride for my country.”
Certainly doesn't sound to me like someone who "hates America." Your turn. Please present Brittney Griner's most offensive statement. The one that really pushed you over the edge and made you think, "Well this girl obviously hates America." You've been going on and on about how much of an expert you are on Griner's views on America, so I assume you have something really juicy on deck for us.

From Wikepedia:

In 2020, Griner, along with teammate Brianna Turner, called for the WNBA to stop playing the United States national anthem before the games. She made her remarks after Mercury players refused to take the floor during a pre-season game in Bradenton, Florida. Griner said she was protesting the killing of Breonna Taylor as part of the wider George Floyd protests.[87] She said later during a media teleconference, "I honestly feel we should not play the national anthem during our season. I think we should take that much of a stand."[88] She said she does not believe that the national anthem should be played at sporting events.[89]

That's enough for me.  When someone hates me, I don't need a library full of quotes.  

I have seen lots of parents saying they're proud of their kids but have nothing but complaints about them.  It's hard to see the pride.  She wanted the whole WNBA to stop playing the Anthem.  Now I'm sure there would be a consensus amongst WNBA players on that, but what does that say about them?
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #213 on: December 11, 2022, 03:43:44 PM »

Lol that’s not how it works. You’re making the assertion that she hates America, the burden of proof is on you.

Sorry, you don't make the rules, either.  This isn't Court.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #214 on: December 11, 2022, 03:46:46 PM »

This is how all discussions and debates work. The person making the claim has to provide the proof.
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #215 on: December 11, 2022, 03:49:27 PM »

From Wikepedia:

In 2020, Griner, along with teammate Brianna Turner, called for the WNBA to stop playing the United States national anthem before the games. She made her remarks after Mercury players refused to take the floor during a pre-season game in Bradenton, Florida. Griner said she was protesting the killing of Breonna Taylor as part of the wider George Floyd protests.[87] She said later during a media teleconference, "I honestly feel we should not play the national anthem during our season. I think we should take that much of a stand."[88] She said she does not believe that the national anthem should be played at sporting events.[89]

That's enough for me.  When someone hates me, I don't need a library full of quotes.  

I have seen lots of parents saying they're proud of their kids but have nothing but complaints about them.  It's hard to see the pride.  She wanted the whole WNBA to stop playing the Anthem.  Now I'm sure there would be a consensus amongst WNBA players on that, but what does that say about them?
So just to clarify and put this to bed, your position is as follows: anyone who refuses to stand for the national anthem “hates America.” Full stop. You don’t need to know anything about them as a person. Not their life story. Not their belief system. You feel that refusal to stand for the national anthem is enough information in an of itself for you to know for certain that a person hates America in their heart of hearts.

Did I get all that right?
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #216 on: December 11, 2022, 04:05:30 PM »

From Wikepedia:

So just to clarify and put this to bed, your position is as follows: anyone who refuses to stand for the national anthem “hates America.” Full stop. You don’t need to know anything about them as a person. Not their life story. Not their belief system. You feel that refusal to stand for the national anthem is enough information in an of itself for you to know for certain that a person hates America in their heart of hearts.

Yes, I do.  People on this forum conclude that others are "racist" for a lot less.

Griner not only knelt for the National Anthem, she advocated for the WNBA simply not playing the Anthem.  Sorry, but that's not a Love Letter to America.  If people want to do this thing, that's their right, but they don't get to enjoy a reputation that isn't justified by their words and actions.
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #217 on: December 11, 2022, 04:28:27 PM »

This is how all discussions and debates work. The person making the claim has to provide the proof.
As you can see, he’s not really a “proof” kind of guy.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #218 on: December 11, 2022, 04:28:39 PM »

From Wikepedia:

That's enough for me.  When someone hates me, I don't need a library full of quotes. 

I have seen lots of parents saying they're proud of their kids but have nothing but complaints about them.  It's hard to see the pride.  She wanted the whole WNBA to stop playing the Anthem.  Now I'm sure there would be a consensus amongst WNBA players on that, but what does that say about them?

Yes, I do.  People on this forum conclude that others are "racist" for a lot less.

Griner not only knelt for the National Anthem, she advocated for the WNBA simply not playing the Anthem.  Sorry, but that's not a Love Letter to America.  If people want to do this thing, that's their right, but they don't get to enjoy a reputation that isn't justified by their words and actions.

Wanna know something funny? I specifically refuse to stand for the Anthem solely because I know it pisses Boomers like you off!
Woody
SirWoodbury
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.48, S: 1.30

« Reply #219 on: December 13, 2022, 03:45:16 PM »

Back in business:

MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #220 on: December 14, 2022, 10:26:42 AM »

New rule: If you supported the 1/6 coup attempt, you can't claim other people hate America.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #221 on: December 14, 2022, 10:29:50 AM »

New rule: If you supported the 1/6 coup attempt, you can't claim other people hate America.

Right-wingers accusing liberals of "hating America" because they criticize certain injustices on substance has always been a lame and tiresome talkingpoint to begin with.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #222 on: December 14, 2022, 10:29:55 AM »

I no longer participate in the anthem because I refuse to worship the flag of this doomed nation.
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #223 on: December 14, 2022, 12:04:50 PM »
« Edited: December 14, 2022, 12:57:08 PM by GP270watch »

Well, then, enlighten me.  What are the statements that disprove the assertion that Brittney Griner hates America?

Sorry, you don't make the rules, either.  This isn't Court.

Fuzzy is an ignorant fool. I already posted a photo of Griner beaming with her Olympic gold medal in front of the American flag, one of 4 times she's represented her country and won at the highest level. The bio states her dad was a Vietnam veteran who fought for this country and he was also a career law enforcement officer, she herself envisioned a career a law enforcement if basketball didn't work out. The fact she took a stand because people like Breonna Taylor and George Floyd were the victims of injustice does not make her an "America hater", she's actually fighting for American principles like justice.

Look at the energy Fuzzy is wasting on this meanwhile...
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #224 on: December 14, 2022, 02:13:47 PM »
« Edited: December 14, 2022, 02:17:47 PM by Mr.Barkari Sellers »

This isn't the first prisoner swap Reagan traded arms to Contras Lebanese guerrillas for hostages when he became Prez in today's Environment he would be impeached and gone to jail and Old School acts like Reagan never did anything wrong ever Prez can be picked apart by opposition just like Dixiecrats didn't fund Entitlements the helped with slavery there wasn't any Entitlement until Woodrow Wilson yrs with income tax he was a Dixiecrat but a Progressive too, he appointed Brandeis to SCOTUS

Hamas is funded by Lebanon's and funded Arafat intifada and Hamas help kill RFK

Israel has an iron dome and we have a real IDs now no intifada, but 911 was an intifada
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies