Respect for Marriage Act
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 23, 2024, 12:26:08 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Respect for Marriage Act
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6
Author Topic: Respect for Marriage Act  (Read 6562 times)
Reactionary Libertarian
ReactionaryLibertarian
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 14, 2022, 12:19:00 AM »
« edited: September 14, 2022, 09:50:49 AM by Reactionary Libertarian »

The Senate should be voting on this within the next week. It's basically a win-win situation for Democrats because either it passes and they get a win, or the GOP kills it and puts themselves in even more hot water in the midterms. Personally, I think the GOP would be very stupid to vote against this when they already have the abortion issue and gay marriage is way more popular than abortion. I'm still not sure it will pass, though. Which Senators do you think will vote yes? I would guess:

Portman (for sure)
Collins (for sure)
Murkowski (for sure)
Tillis (for sure)
Johnson (probably)
Romney (probably)
Ernst (probably)
R. Scott (maybe)
Thune (maybe)

That's still only 9, and I'm not sure about all of them.

EDIT: Maybe Young or Burr too. That would be 11, if they all end up supporting.

GM Team Member and Deputy PPT WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2022, 12:30:41 AM »

it really is an open question at this point and either way it will be bad for Republicans.
Reactionary Libertarian
ReactionaryLibertarian
United States

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2022, 12:41:17 AM »

If it passes it will be good for Republicans. The MAGAs and the donors don't care about it, the only people who will be upset are the pro-lifers who many in the GOP are already trying to distance themselves from.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2022, 01:23:46 AM »

It'll be another historic legislative achievement for President Biden to finally sign marriage equality into law.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2022, 05:24:27 AM »

Ron Johnson said he's voting against it? Which is great for us because we want that very competitive Senate race for the rest of the agenda. The House vote suggests the Senate should vote for it, but it looks like a tough fight for the numbers.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2022, 04:32:00 PM »

Either way it’s a win for Ds.
I Will Not Be Wrong
outofbox6
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2022, 06:22:59 PM »

Ron Johnson said he's voting against it? Which is great for us because we want that very competitive Senate race for the rest of the agenda. The House vote suggests the Senate should vote for it, but it looks like a tough fight for the numbers.
Right? Like I thought he would vote for it to appear more "moderate", since he is perceived now as ultra conservative.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2022, 06:34:52 PM »

Right? Like I thought he would vote for it to appear more "moderate", since he is perceived now as ultra conservative.

That would be the smart move but he is just saying and doing whatever he wants.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2022, 06:36:17 PM »

Perhaps 2016 made Johnson feel somewhat invincible?
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2022, 07:09:17 PM »

I hope it has some sort of tangible effect. I'm starting to feel like Democrats need something significant again to keep the ball rolling.

Maybe today's Marquette poll will do that too.
Utah Neolib
YaBB God
Antarctica

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2022, 07:15:27 PM »

It’s honestly surprising how Tilis went from a stalwart anti-gay person in the North Carolina State Legislature to being a possible vote for this bill. I support his transition.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2022, 07:18:22 PM »

I hope it has some sort of tangible effect. I'm starting to feel like Democrats need something significant again to keep the ball rolling.

Maybe today's Marquette poll will do that too.

Yep we got a Johnson + 1 poll. Safe R cause of polling error.

Seriously though, even if you’re in a remotely competative race in a state that heavily supports SSM, why vote against it? It just gives your opponents ammunition
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2022, 02:56:51 PM »

Yes, this will move the needle in WI-SEN by giving more Barnes even more ammunition and changing voter perception of Johnson, the ads write themselves-

"We already know Ron Johnson fueled the January 6 insurrection, promotes baseless conspiracy theorists, wants to end democracy as we know it, plans to privatize Social Security, and profits from selling out WI families to his special interest donors, but now he even decided to enable Young Kim's agenda by voting against the Respect for Marriage Act. Enough is Enough. Vote Mandela Barnes on November 8. Authorized and paid for by the Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee."
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2022, 05:40:39 PM »

Portman's the only plausible GOP vote for a cloture vote here, let alone for actually passing the bill, and that's specifically because his son is gay. Everyone else will vote no (even Murkowski), and if Portman didn't have the immediate gay relative, he'd probably be a no vote too.
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2022, 08:02:23 PM »

Portman's the only plausible GOP vote for a cloture vote here, let alone for actually passing the bill, and that's specifically because his son is gay. Everyone else will vote no (even Murkowski), and if Portman didn't have the immediate gay relative, he'd probably be a no vote too.

Collins?
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2022, 08:07:17 PM »

Collins?

I don't think so, because she'd lose a primary if she voted for this (assuming she intends to run for reelection in 2026).
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2022, 08:50:58 PM »

Collins?

I don't think so, because she'd lose a primary if she voted for this (assuming she intends to run for reelection in 2026).

I'm pretty sure Collins and Murkowski will vote for it. Collin's re-election is too far out, she comes from a very pro-SSM state, and there's a very good chance she won't seek re-election. She was able win the primary in 2020 without too much serious opposition despite having been publicly pro-SSM

Murkowski has actually supported SSM for a long time and given RCV in Alaska, there's not really any electoral consequences in voting for it, infact I'd argue it'd help her.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2022, 08:53:56 PM »

Collins?

I'm pretty sure Collins and Murkowski will vote for it. Collin's re-election is too far out, she comes from a very pro-SSM state, and there's a very good chance she won't seek re-election. She was able win the primary in 2020 without too much serious opposition despite having been publicly pro-SSM

Murkowski has actually supported SSM for a long time and given RCV in Alaska, there's not really any electoral consequences in voting for it, infact I'd argue it'd help her.

It'd help Murkowski if her immediate danger was a Democrat, not Kelly Tshibaka, who is running way to her right and will hammer her over this, and Murkowski can't afford to lose the voters she already has.

As for Collins, I think if she's already decided not to run for reelection in 2026, she votes in favor, if she is running, or hasn't decided yet, she votes against.

ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2022, 09:01:19 PM »

Collins?

It'd help Murkowski if her immediate danger was a Democrat, not Kelly Tshibaka, who is running way to her right and will hammer her over this, and Murkowski can't afford to lose the voters she already has.

As for Collins, I think if she's already decided not to run for reelection in 2026, she votes in favor, if she is running, or hasn't decided yet, she votes against.

Most polling suggests Alaska is pretty pro-SSM and honestly voting against it makes it more likely for her to be "squeezed out". Her goal is to consolidate both Democrats and moderate/non-MAGA Rs to beat Tshibaka, a group which OVERWHELMINGLY supports SSM.

What benefit would Collins get to voting against SSM marriage 4 years out from her primary? I really doubt the main argument against her by an R challenger will be that she voted to codify SSM marrige into law 4 years ago. The issue is likely to be even further down on the GOP totem pole in 4 years, especially when it comes to the Northeast.
Aurelius
Cody
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.35, S: 0.35

P P
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2022, 10:51:59 PM »

Collins?

Collins is one of the primary sponsors of the bill
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2022, 10:54:44 PM »

Collins?

And your point is? We've seen Senators vote against legislation that they sponsor before. Hell, Manchin and Sinema do it all the time.
Aurelius
Cody
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2022, 11:02:28 PM »

My very early prediction, assuming the Collins amendment is added to the bill:

Collins
Murkowski
Portman
Tillis
Scott (FL)
Ernst
Toomey
Romney
Capito
Johnson

On the bubble (3 of them will vote yes):
Fischer
Cramer
Tuberville
Sullivan
Burr
Lummis

Fringey (1 of them will vote yes)
Rubio
Thune
McConnell
Crapo
Aurelius
Cody
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2022, 11:16:07 PM »

Collins?

And your point is? We've seen Senators vote against legislation that they sponsor before. Hell, Manchin and Sinema do it all the time.

Collins is not going to vote against a bill she sponsored that, in the House, Tom Emmer and Kat Cammack voted for.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2022, 12:17:30 AM »

Collins
Murkowski
Portman
Tillis
Scott (FL)
Ernst
Toomey
Romney
Capito
Johnson

Fischer
Cramer
Tuberville
Sullivan
Burr
Lummis

Rubio
Thune
McConnell
Crapo

Tuberville!? Lummis!? Rick Scott? Johnson?
Aurelius
Cody
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2022, 11:55:31 AM »
« Edited: September 18, 2022, 12:01:22 PM by Death, Taxes, and Voting on Kidney Dialysis »

Collins
Murkowski
Portman
Tillis
Scott (FL)
Ernst
Toomey
Romney
Capito
Johnson

Fischer
Cramer
Tuberville
Sullivan
Burr
Lummis

Rubio
Thune
McConnell
Crapo

Tuberville!? Lummis!? Rick Scott? Johnson?
Johnson and Tuberville made vaguely supportive noises a while back. Scott represents Florida. Lummis is a woman representing a sparsely populated, libertarian leaning western state. I have a gut feeling for some reason. A lot of this is based on extrapolating from the sorts of people that voted Yes in the House.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies