Biden to grovel before Khashoggi's murderer/the Butcher of Yemen in exchange for lower gas prices.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 06:33:12 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Biden to grovel before Khashoggi's murderer/the Butcher of Yemen in exchange for lower gas prices.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: Biden to grovel before Khashoggi's murderer/the Butcher of Yemen in exchange for lower gas prices.  (Read 2655 times)
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 02, 2022, 04:15:28 PM »

President Biden is planning to visit Saudi Arabia, a remarkable departure from his vow as a presidential candidate to treat the country as a “pariah” state, according to three administration officials who requested anonymity to share details of a trip not yet announced.

The president’s trip to Riyadh follows broader efforts by his administration to build ties with the oil-rich nation to reduce the price of gas in the United States, which has skyrocketed in recent months.

Biden is expected to meet with bin Salman during his trip, the people said.

WaPo

Absolutely pathetic and disgusting.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2022, 04:36:25 PM »

There are a ton of other sources for cheap gas—Iran, Venezuela—and gas we are currently exporting for some reason that could be used by our people. Going to the Saudis and begging as the leading superpower and the only thing keeping them in power is more pathetic than building up our relations elsewhere.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2022, 05:00:13 PM »

A long, Noble, and bipartisan tradition of kowtowing to one of the world's greatest sponsors of terrorism and violators of Human Rights.

One of the additional benefits of finally going all-in on Renewables will be having so much more leeway tell the house of Saud to sod off.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2022, 05:26:35 PM »

Was Clinton a House of Saud operative? Because every President since has certainly been one.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2022, 05:29:45 PM »
« Edited: June 02, 2022, 05:42:01 PM by CentristRepublican »

Crazy idea: He could also keep two campaign promises, kill two birds with one stone, and transition to renewable instead of bootlicking for dictators and human rights violators.
Anti Democrat Democrat Club
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2022, 05:30:49 PM »

Imagine being this much of a cuck.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2022, 05:35:06 PM »

Biden just fell massively in my eyes. Like I said, I want GMac to enter right now and explain how this is okay. Because I'm trying and failing to rationalize this disgusting about-face. What Biden did here is utterly disappointing, shameful and pathetic.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2022, 05:36:21 PM »

A long, Noble, and bipartisan tradition of kowtowing to one of the world's greatest sponsors of terrorism and violators of Human Rights.

One of the additional benefits of finally going all-in on Renewables will be having so much more leeway tell the house of Saud to sod off.

This is 1000% correct and what I was going to say.

I would expect the GOP to decide it's better to resort to bootlicking to the House of Saud to avoid transitioning to green energy.

But seriously? Biden? He's chosen to break a campaign promise and bootlick for anti-human-rights dictators, rather than use this as an opportunity to transition to renewable?

Disappointing. Pathetic. It seems netiher side is interested in transitioning to renewable. At least the GOP is honest about it - they've made it clear the fate of the planet is of little interest to them. Biden, OTOH, just proved he's taken environmentalists for a ride all along with his empty rhetoric. He has little interest in actually transitioning to renewable, otherwise he'd have used this as an opportunity to do that instead of bootlicking to the House of Saud after promising not to. These people are dictators, yet apparently a supposedly pro-renewable energy president has chosen to go and beg them for oil after promising he wouldn't instead of taking this golden opportunity to transition to renewable.

I unironically want GMac to enter the thread right now and explain away this behaviour. Because this is simply unacceptable and I want some explanation for this behaviour. GMac always has some way to rationalize what Biden does; hopefully he can do it this time to, otherwise my assessment of Biden just plummeted.
Fight for Trump
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2022, 05:38:03 PM »

There are a ton of other sources for cheap gas—Iran, Venezuela—and gas we are currently exporting for some reason that could be used by our people. Going to the Saudis and begging as the leading superpower and the only thing keeping them in power is more pathetic than building up our relations elsewhere.
Brandon's representatives already went on bended knee to Maduro.

The sane solution would be to thaw relations with Iran, a country far less bad than Venezuela or Saudi Arabia, but this is America and being stupid is what it does best.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2022, 05:39:51 PM »

The sane solution would be to thaw relations with Iran, a country far less bad than Venezuela or Saudi Arabia, but this is America and being stupid is what it does best.

The sanest solution would be to kill two birds with one stone and transition to renewable. But I guess that's a no-go, right, Biden?
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2022, 05:42:13 PM »

Instead of doing this, Biden could keep 2 campaign promises and kill 2 birds with one stone and use this to move towards renewable energy. But no. I guess it's worth it to resort to bootlicking for human rights violaters and terrorists if it means we can continue using dirty energy and don't transition to renewable. Because God forbid we did that, right, Biden? It doesn't matter that you promised you'd do that and promised you wouldn't bootlick the House of Saud, right? You just took environmentalists for a ride all along. Utterly shameful and disgusting about-face.
Leo
Rookie
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2022, 05:43:28 PM »

There are a ton of other sources for cheap gas—Iran, Venezuela—and gas we are currently exporting for some reason that could be used by our people.

Someone obviously doesn't have any Venezuelans living on their street.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2022, 05:44:15 PM »

The sanest solution would be to kill two birds with one stone and transition to renewable. But I guess that's a no-go, right, Biden?

The sanest solution would be to develop our own energy resources, but Brandon would rather those stay in the ground.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2022, 05:45:06 PM »

The sanest solution would be to develop our own energy resources

Exactly what I said. Our own RENEWABLE energy resources. No more fossil fuels.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2022, 06:31:35 PM »

My 2001 dodge dakota doesnt run on solar and unicorn farts. No more green only policies.
Fight for Trump
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2022, 06:43:58 PM »

Transition to renewable. A worthwhile investment (if done with the encouragement of government, not indiscriminate subsidies) but it doesn't solve the problems of today.
Big Abraham
Junior Chimp
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2022, 06:46:55 PM »

Apple pie, baseball, and bowing down before Saudi abusers of human rights are America's favorite national pastimes.
Fight for Trump
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2022, 06:48:04 PM »

It's true, it's a disgrace. Saudi Arabia should be kowtowing to the US, seeing as the US has sponsored far more terrorism and violated far more human rights than Saudi Arabia.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2022, 06:48:15 PM »

My 2001 dodge dakota doesnt run on solar and unicorn farts. No more green only policies.

There are plenty of cars that do. Just because you choose to drive a car that doesn't run on renewable energy doesn't mean there aren't any such cars. You can continue driving your Dodge Dakota. But we need to start moving towards green energy, and your owning a Dodge Dakota doesn't change that in the slightest. And how can there be 'no more green only policies' when there haven't been any green only policies to begin with?

Transition to renewable. A worthwhile investment (if done with the encouragement of government, not indiscriminate subsidies) but it doesn't solve the problems of today.

Fair enough, your point is good. At least we agree on two important things:
a.) Biden doesn't need to and shouldn't be bootlicking to the House of Saud.
b.) We need to begin investing in and transitioning to solar energy.

You're right that it won't happen today and for now we do need to continue using fossil fuels. But ASAP, we should be at least starting to transition. Biden could've used the high gas prices as a pretext to at least start that transition, to make a case about how renewable energy would be more stable and wouldn't result in these problems. Instead, he hasn't done that, but has in fact chosen to go to the House of Saud begging for more oil. Utterly pathetic.
Leo
Rookie
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2022, 06:48:59 PM »

No one cares.  You went into the free market and purchased a gas guzzling vehicle.  It is not the government's job to save you.  Learn some personal responsibility and stop blaming others for your problems.  That is part of being an adult.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2022, 06:50:55 PM »

Biden is a US president, yes.

I don't like Saudi Arabia or the fact that we depend on them any more than anyone else. But for now at least, the cold hard reality is that it would be suicide to turn completely against them.

At least Biden hasn't been sucking them off and denying MBS's role in the murder like Trump did. I see this as an act of desperation which he probably loathes doing. (When Biden goes off-script, such as when saying Putin should be "removed" or that Taiwan is a country, it's clear how he really feels.) Which isn't a great look, sure. But it's not like he has many other good alternatives at the moment.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2022, 06:55:28 PM »

Biden just fell massively in my eyes. Like I said, I want GMac to enter right now and explain how this is okay. Because I'm trying and failing to rationalize this disgusting about-face. What Biden did here is utterly disappointing, shameful and pathetic.

Well, we have to get oil from somewhere, and there's not that many countries producing oil.  We're not getting it from Russia, obviously.  NATO countries are already completely out of oil.  The only other options are basically Venezuela, Iran or Saudi Arabia.  We already tried Venezuela and that doesn't seem to be working out, so it's either Iran or Saudi Arabia.  Iran is a far worse country than Saudi Arabia, and also a huge liability at this point in time since they're currently actively trying to assassinate Americans as revenge for the Soleimani strike.  So if you start flooding Iran with American oil execs trying to set up import operations, they may all just end up being kidnapped and held for geopolitical ransom.   Also Iran is on Russia's side.

Biden wanted to solve this problem with massive investment in renewables, but Congressional Republicans wouldn't let that happen.  So he's stuck going with the least bad option.

As much as I'd like to see Saudi Arabia treated like an absolute pariah, as Biden pledged during the campaign, that's simply not going to be feasible as long as we (A) are dependent on them for oil, and (B) are dependent on them as a logistical hub for middle east operations.  Now Biden has scaled down our presence in the middle east so we've made good progress on (B).  And we were making pretty good progress on (A) too until Russia invaded Ukraine and global supply of oil collapsed.

I don't really know what else you guys want him to do because the fact is that oil has to come from somewhere and if we can't get Saudi Arabia to give us more, eventually some European nation is going to fold and start importing from Russia again, and Putin will win.  I'm not happy about this but I'd rather see this happening than see Putin get what he wants.  It's not like this is something Biden wanted to do -- Biden wanted to replace our fossil fuel dependence with renewable energy, and ostracize Saudi Arabia.  But now he's stuck because of events that has conspired beyond his control.

PS before some Republican shows up saying "lol just drill more" or "muh keystone pipeline" that's a proposal that would take years to show dividends, by which point the war in Europe would almost certainly be over and Biden would likely be out of office.  So that's not a real solution it's just a cheap talking point taking advantage of ignorance.
Utah Neolib
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2022, 06:58:19 PM »

Disgusting. Biden promised us that he would distance the United States from Saudi Arabia, a known sponsor of terrorism and abuse of human rights. The fact that he had to bend to their will because of oil suggest that the United States doesn’t make enough of it’s own energy. The United States needs to be massively investing into green technologies that will help save our future from the inevitable climate catastrophe, not bowing to the will to give oil a continuous run.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2022, 07:04:06 PM »

Well, we have to get oil from somewhere, and there's not that many countries producing oil.  We're not getting it from Russia, obviously.  NATO countries are already completely out of oil.  The only other options are basically Venezuela, Iran or Saudi Arabia.  We already tried Venezuela and that doesn't seem to be working out, so it's either Iran or Saudi Arabia.  Iran is a far worse country than Saudi Arabia, and also a huge liability at this point in time since they're currently actively trying to assassinate Americans as revenge for the Soleimani strike.  So if you start flooding Iran with American oil execs trying to set up import operations, they may all just end up being kidnapped and held for geopolitical ransom.   Also Iran is on Russia's side.

Biden wanted to solve this problem with massive investment in renewables, but Congressional Republicans wouldn't let that happen.  So he's stuck going with the least bad option.

As much as I'd like to see Saudi Arabia treated like an absolute pariah, as Biden pledged during the campaign, that's simply not going to be feasible as long as we (A) are dependent on them for oil, and (B) are dependent on them as a logistical hub for middle east operations.  Now Biden has scaled down our presence in the middle east so we've made good progress on (B).  And we were making pretty good progress on (A) too until Russia invaded Ukraine and global supply of oil collapsed.

I don't really know what else you guys want him to do because the fact is that oil has to come from somewhere and if we can't get Saudi Arabia to give us more, eventually some European nation is going to fold and start importing from Russia again, and Putin will win.  I'm not happy about this but I'd rather see this happening than see Putin get what he wants.  It's not like this is something Biden wanted to do -- Biden wanted to replace our fossil fuel dependence with renewable energy, and ostracize Saudi Arabia.  But now he's stuck because of events that has conspired beyond his control.

PS before some Republican shows up saying "lol just drill more" or "muh keystone pipeline" that's a proposal that would take years to show dividends, by which point the war in Europe would almost certainly be over and Biden would likely be out of office.  So that's not a real solution it's just a cheap talking point taking advantage of ignorance.

Accolades to you - wow - just wow. You were somehow able to take even this and rationalize it to the extent that I get why Biden did this now. You have a great skill of defending Biden through and through. I commend you. I know I've said it before - but I mean it very seriously: You should be Biden's Press Secretary. You really know how to defend him and rationalize what he does no matter what, and you do it so well that (I think) most reasonable people feel compelled to agree with you. It is a great skill. You could've taken the easy way out and just criticized Biden like all the rest of us have, but instead you've written a long, well-reasoned, logical post that really makes what Biden did sound reasonable and the best option.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2022, 07:04:30 PM »

Disgusting. Biden promised us that he would distance the United States from Saudi Arabia, a known sponsor of terrorism and abuse of human rights. The fact that he had to bend to their will because of oil suggest that the United States doesn’t make enough of it’s own energy. The United States needs to be massively investing into green technologies that will help save our future from the inevitable climate catastrophe, not bowing to the will to give oil a continuous run.

I agree with this but I don't know what more you want Biden to do about it.

He's already investing more than any other president in history in green infrastructure through the Bipartisan Infrastructure Framework.  He wanted to invest far more, but Manchin killed BBB, which had that plan.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies