Would George Washington made it to the year 1800 with today’s health care?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 07:33:46 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  Would George Washington made it to the year 1800 with today’s health care?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Would he if the doctors weren’t so incompetent?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 31

Author Topic: Would George Washington made it to the year 1800 with today’s health care?  (Read 1286 times)
Plankton5165

P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 08, 2022, 11:24:04 PM »

He died on December 14, 1799, just less than three weeks shy of the 1800s.

The doctors backed then proved pretty negligent, draining up nearly half of his blood in an attempt to access his airway.

I know that doesn’t sound nice, but, everyone who even knows what it’s like to live in the 1800s for that matter, has been dead since 2017!
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2022, 11:05:13 AM »

Short of the universe hating Washington & longevity never being in the cards for him no matter what, I don't think a mere sore throat (that he was bled to death for) - if that's all that it was - would've taken him sometime within the next 18 days.
I Will Not Be Wrong
outofbox6
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2022, 12:58:14 PM »

I wonder if he would have publicly supported Adams had he lived, so that he would have been re-elected in 1800. But then again, Hamilton was against Adams at this point, so Washington might have been also.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2022, 01:44:54 PM »

I wonder if he would have publicly supported Adams had he lived, so that he would have been re-elected in 1800. But then again, Hamilton was against Adams at this point, so Washington might have been also.

Washington would not have picked sides one way or another. He'd have stayed out of it.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2022, 02:51:57 PM »

Washington could have lived to 1800 with 18th century healthcare lmao
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2022, 02:23:56 PM »

There's no reason Washington shouldn't have lived another 5 years, let alone another 3 weeks.
Aurelius
Cody
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.35, S: 0.35

P P
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2022, 06:08:01 PM »

Washington would not have picked sides one way or another. He'd have stayed out of it.
This is incorrect. For all his talk about nonpartisanship, Washington had become quite the Federalist partisan by the end of his life. He spent his last couple years trying to use his influence for the benefit of various Federalist candidates, and he and Jefferson were not on speaking terms at the end of his life.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2022, 08:55:16 PM »

This is incorrect. For all his talk about nonpartisanship, Washington had become quite the Federalist partisan by the end of his life. He spent his last couple years trying to use his influence for the benefit of various Federalist candidates, and he and Jefferson were not on speaking terms at the end of his life.

I do know he joined the Federalists during his presidency, but I was always under the impression that he generally lamented partisanship and was fairly moderate and pragmatic. Most certainly I was unaware of the bolded - that he and Jefferson had a rocky relationship later on.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2022, 02:27:36 PM »

Was this not provoked by the open hostility and partisanship of Jefferson and his allies toward his administration even before TJ resigned from the Cabinet?
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2022, 01:02:40 AM »

Washington and Hamilton were very personally close but I don't think Washington would have started following Hamilton's lead on matters like this rather than the other way around, at least not at this point in Hamilton's life (his circa-1800 political ideology and approach were extreme even for the Federalists--more like a Bonapartist or a Frederick the Great simp than like Adams even at his most "muh national security"-minded).
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2022, 04:26:50 PM »

Washington and Hamilton were very personally close but I don't think Washington would have started following Hamilton's lead on matters like this rather than the other way around, at least not at this point in Hamilton's life (his circa-1800 political ideology and approach were extreme even for the Federalists--more like a Bonapartist or a Frederick the Great simp than like Adams even at his most "muh national security"-minded).

Hamilton literally tried to oust Adams in 1800 and replace him with Pickney (of course, his plan backfired, expediting Hamilton's political fall - and the fall of the Federalist Party's fortunes in general).
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2022, 07:33:53 PM »

Finally, a good politician.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2022, 01:43:20 AM »

Yes, many people died before  anesthesia, Anesthesia wasn't invented until the WWII and if you got shot or wounded in war most died because there was no anesthesia to remove the bullet wound they tried to remove Garfield, Lincoln, and McKinley bullets and they all died from their injuries

Not only that many people had gum infections and gum disease create heart disease there was no anesthesia for tooth decay so many had heart problems from tooth decay

My Pops had gum disease and he died from a heart attack he never went to the Dentist, if you never go to the Dentists it creates gum disease
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies