GoFundMe seizes funds of Canadian trucker convoy
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 03:39:55 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  GoFundMe seizes funds of Canadian trucker convoy
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8
Author Topic: GoFundMe seizes funds of Canadian trucker convoy  (Read 4067 times)
Benjamin Frank
Frank
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #150 on: February 08, 2022, 07:23:54 PM »

All I can say is peak irony bruh. Hope that was your goal. Not even worth a thoughtful response to someone who has a serious dearth of logical skill. See ya when someone quotes ya maybe. But hopefully not.

I assume you were speaking to yourself.
Benjamin Frank
Frank
Junior Chimp

« Reply #151 on: February 08, 2022, 07:40:26 PM »

This is probably an accurate reflection of where things are in Canada.

Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #152 on: February 08, 2022, 07:53:24 PM »

This is what conservatives are defending. Literally trying to kill a building full of people inside.

That's so much worse than looting. They literally tried to burn people alive.

But "go truckers they go against the nanny state", you sound like a damn infant.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #153 on: February 08, 2022, 11:50:13 PM »

Working Class People: (use a work stoppage to ask for higher wages and benefits through collective bargaining)

Conservatives: GET BACK TO WORK YA BUMS! IF YOU WANT HEALTH INSURANCE AND HIGHER PAY YOU SHOULD HAVE GONE TO COLLEGE OR STARTED A BUSINESS LIKE THE BRILLIANT JOB CREATORS!

Working Class People: (use a work stoppage to complain about vaccination requirements)

Conservatives: DO YOU HEAR THE PEOPLE SING, SINGING A SONG OF ANGRY MEN?
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #154 on: February 11, 2022, 07:21:56 PM »

Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #155 on: February 12, 2022, 12:41:57 PM »

Being patriotic is not allowed anymore. If they shut down the fundraiser, they should be returning every cent back to the donors, not funneling it into left-wing charities.

We need to show the truckers even more support now.

Donors will get a refund if they request it; if they don't, the money will go to charities.  (I do agree that the latter should be an opt-in rather than opt-out.)

The truckers should get the money that the donors intended to.  Period.

Not a dime was prevented from going to BLM during that months that they criminally rioted.  The money should go where it was intended to go.  Period. 

That the money won't is disgusting, but it's one more event that should put to rest the idea that the explosion of the internet "empowers" ordinary citizens.  The internet, like everything else, empowers the elites of our society.  The privileges and special treatment that our Congress have bestowed on "Big Tech' companies ought to be reevaluated in the face of the internet being oppressive, as opposed to liberating and empowering, as was once the promise not that long ago. 
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #156 on: February 12, 2022, 01:41:39 PM »

Being patriotic is not allowed anymore. If they shut down the fundraiser, they should be returning every cent back to the donors, not funneling it into left-wing charities.

Donors will get a refund if they request it; if they don't, the money will go to charities.  (I do agree that the latter should be an opt-in rather than opt-out.)

Not a dime was prevented from going to BLM during that months that they criminally rioted.  The money should go where it was intended to go.  Period. 

That the money won't is disgusting, but it's one more event that should put to rest the idea that the explosion of the internet "empowers" ordinary citizens.  The internet, like everything else, empowers the elites of our society.  The privileges and special treatment that our Congress have bestowed on "Big Tech' companies ought to be reevaluated in the face of the internet being oppressive, as opposed to liberating and empowering, as was once the promise not that long ago. 

Notice unlike with BLM this money isnt really being used to bail out persons arrested for criminal conduct.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #157 on: February 12, 2022, 03:45:23 PM »

Notice unlike with BLM this money isnt really being used to bail out persons arrested for criminal conduct.

I do notice that, yes.

Now I will say this:  I don't have a problem with groups like GoFundMe and the like being used to raise money for bail or criminal defense for accused defendants.  I extend this to defendants whose actions most people would be repelled at.  Constitutional Rights are for people that you or I may abhor, and not just for those who we consider to be some form of FF.  While I loathe Kamala Harris on many levels, I don't criticize her contributions to the Minneapolis Bail fund that provided bond for BLM protesters accused of crimes.  I DO criticize her because she's fine with GoFundMe cutting off Kyle Rittenhouse. 

People are presumed innocent until proven guilty.  Reasonable bail, a Speedy Trial, being represented with EFFECTIVE counsel; these are all CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHTS that all of us possess.  Unfortunately, we now live in an age where some enumerated Constitutional Rights and some identified parties and groups are "disfavored".  Lots of people are fine with that here because the disfavored rights (speech, free press, religious freedom, right to keep and bear arms) are disfavored for all, while 4th, 5th, and 8th Amendment Rights are disfavored for certain groups (J6ers, right wing defendants of all kinds, "hate crime" defendants).  That's fine and good, but what will happen if and when political winds shift and you find yourself "disfavored"?  What will the response be from those who your faction placed in that category at this particular time and place?  There is not excuse to block the funding of legal services, bail money, or mere sustenance. 

That's my position on the greater issue, just in case you're curious.  I support EVERYONE's Constitutional Rights, not just those of the people I like.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #158 on: February 12, 2022, 09:45:21 PM »

Since BLM seems to keep coming up...
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #159 on: February 13, 2022, 10:42:24 PM »

Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #160 on: February 13, 2022, 10:59:52 PM »

They are not destroying property as BLM did.

They are not committing arson.  They are not occupying courthouses.

Are they costing the Canadian economy?  Well, yes; that's the point.  They are using their rights to protest as economic leverage, just like a labor union on strike.  Now maybe you support scabs; if you do, please tell us and then go back to ranting about Trump.

Krugman's comparison is false because the truckers are not breaking laws as BLM has.  Where are the buildings  they've burned, the police precincts they've occupied by force?  Where are the people peacefully sleeping in their homes awakened by chants of BLM agitators yelling "Wake up!  Wake up!  Wake up, m-----f-----, waie up!"?  Where are the restaurant patrons being harassed?  Where was Krugman's condemnation of BLM and Antifa in the midst of their criminality? 

This is a dishonest argument by Krugman.  Both you and he are full of crap on this one.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #161 on: February 13, 2022, 11:47:25 PM »

LOL! Owned by a hacker.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #162 on: February 13, 2022, 11:53:04 PM »

They are not destroying property as BLM did.

They are not committing arson.  They are not occupying courthouses.

Are they costing the Canadian economy?  Well, yes; that's the point.  They are using their rights to protest as economic leverage, just like a labor union on strike.  Now maybe you support scabs; if you do, please tell us and then go back to ranting about Trump.

Krugman's comparison is false because the truckers are not breaking laws as BLM has.  Where are the buildings  they've burned, the police precincts they've occupied by force?  Where are the people peacefully sleeping in their homes awakened by chants of BLM agitators yelling "Wake up!  Wake up!  Wake up, m-----f-----, waie up!"?  Where are the restaurant patrons being harassed?  Where was Krugman's condemnation of BLM and Antifa in the midst of their criminality? 

This is a dishonest argument by Krugman.  Both you and he are full of crap on this one.

Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #163 on: February 14, 2022, 12:36:29 AM »

Like the movable type press, the internet has created a phase transition in how information is spread and consumed. The press was a major (although not singular) contributor to societal chaos, and eventually a new modus vivendi. Right now, we are still learning how to live with the internet. I hope that eventually it can lead to a better world, but we've got a long way to go.
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #164 on: February 14, 2022, 01:11:49 PM »

The bridge has been cleared, police has smade 12 arrests.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/windsor/windsor-ambassador-bridge-police-protest-1.6350120

I wish BLM was that peaceful. Freedom Convoy truly became a school example of peaceful protesting for everyone's freedom 👏👏👏
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #165 on: February 14, 2022, 01:26:02 PM »

12 arrests out of 18,000 protestors is 0.07%. That's using a high estimate for the total truckers, and not counting anyone yet to be arrested.

Compare to 14,000 arrests out of 26,000,000 protesters, or 0.05%, in George Floyd protests.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #166 on: February 14, 2022, 01:31:32 PM »
« Edited: February 14, 2022, 01:35:17 PM by Stand with Kamila »

12 arrests out of 18,000 protestors is 0.07%. That's using a high estimate for the total truckers, and not counting anyone yet to be arrested.

Compare to 14,000 arrests out of 26,000,000 protesters, or 0.05%, in George Floyd protests.

lol 26 million. Do you know a single George Floyd protester? Also, those arrests are mostly just protesters. They don't include most of the looters and other anarchists who caused >$1B worth of damage nationwide and created police no-go zones where, obviously, people were not getting arrested for terrorizing residents and business owners.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #167 on: February 14, 2022, 01:36:11 PM »

lol 26 million. Do you know a single George Floyd protester?

Um, yes? They had protests in Jackson and Starkville. Did you actually think I would say no?
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #168 on: February 14, 2022, 01:41:03 PM »

Um, yes? They had protests in Jackson and Starkville. Did you actually think I would say no?
I lived in Mississippi and I don't know a single protester. I only knew decent black people with jobs and families.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #169 on: February 14, 2022, 01:42:37 PM »

I lived in Mississippi and I don't know a single protester. I only knew decent black people with jobs and families.

The people I know who protested (both white and black) took their families, and the protests were on Saturday.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #170 on: February 14, 2022, 02:11:02 PM »

The people I know who protested (both white and black) took their families, and the protests were on Saturday.

Nice, just in time to watch NFL players kneel for the anthem on their new TV on Sunday.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #171 on: February 14, 2022, 06:01:24 PM »

And the first minute any of these jackasses are arrested for trespassing, disorderly, etc. and their trucks impounded, I guarantee the funds will be used for those purposes.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #172 on: February 14, 2022, 06:31:26 PM »

Nice, just in time to watch NFL players kneel for the anthem on their new TV on Sunday.

I'm disappointed, Santander.  Your trolling is usually more clever than that.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #173 on: February 14, 2022, 06:47:11 PM »

I'm disappointed, Santander.  Your trolling is usually more clever than that.

Yeah. That was a slip on what was a good volley. Sad.
No War, but the War on Christmas
iBizzBee
Junior Chimp

« Reply #174 on: February 14, 2022, 09:14:21 PM »

I know a ton of people who protested (peacefully, I might add) here in DFW and all the major Suburban cities. I went to one myself in one of the more right-leaning, smaller Suburbs of North Dallas.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies