GoFundMe seizes funds of Canadian trucker convoy
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 08, 2024, 11:16:26 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  GoFundMe seizes funds of Canadian trucker convoy
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8
Author Topic: GoFundMe seizes funds of Canadian trucker convoy  (Read 4178 times)
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: February 08, 2022, 10:33:48 AM »

Fuzzy, 93% of BLM protests were peaceful, and the violent ones were not as big as you seem to think.
https://acleddata.com/2020/09/03/demonstrations-political-violence-in-america-new-data-for-summer-2020/
The vast majority of demonstration events associated with the BLM movement are non-violent (see map below). In more than 93% of all demonstrations connected to the movement, demonstrators have not engaged in violence or destructive activity. Peaceful protests are reported in over 2,400 distinct locations around the country. Violent demonstrations,5 meanwhile, have been limited to fewer than 220 locations — under 10% of the areas that experienced peaceful protests. In many urban areas like Portland, Oregon, for example, which has seen sustained unrest since Floyd’s killing, violent demonstrations are largely confined to specific blocks, rather than dispersed throughout the city (CNN, 1 September 2020).

And those 7% were far worse than whatever the Truckers are doing

According to some quick googling, only 0.05% of George Floyd protestors were violent. I don't think your scumbag anti-vaxx (but pro-other regulation) truckers are going to win this comparison.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #126 on: February 08, 2022, 10:36:47 AM »
« Edited: February 08, 2022, 11:28:56 AM by Old School Republican »

Fuzzy, 93% of BLM protests were peaceful, and the violent ones were not as big as you seem to think.
https://acleddata.com/2020/09/03/demonstrations-political-violence-in-america-new-data-for-summer-2020/
The vast majority of demonstration events associated with the BLM movement are non-violent (see map below). In more than 93% of all demonstrations connected to the movement, demonstrators have not engaged in violence or destructive activity. Peaceful protests are reported in over 2,400 distinct locations around the country. Violent demonstrations,5 meanwhile, have been limited to fewer than 220 locations — under 10% of the areas that experienced peaceful protests. In many urban areas like Portland, Oregon, for example, which has seen sustained unrest since Floyd’s killing, violent demonstrations are largely confined to specific blocks, rather than dispersed throughout the city (CNN, 1 September 2020).

According to some quick googling, only 0.05% of George Floyd protestors were violent. I don't think your scumbag anti-vaxx (but pro-other regulation) truckers are going to win this comparison.

The protests you are defending  resulted in  220 violent riots which is much worse than anything the truckers are doing
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #127 on: February 08, 2022, 11:00:07 AM »

Your side did 220 violent riots which is much worse than anything the truckers are doing

It's not about 'sides' doing things. There are more than two sides and lots of bozos all over the place with wackadoodle ideas. Both of your created 'sides' commit more than enough violence to go around. Posters on this forum are not collectively responsible for things that their side has done, nor should they feel foolish because theoretical ideological sympathizers did something bad. That's going to be true for everyone at some point.

The shameful thing is the politicians that failed to denounce or encouraged last summer's violence directed at private citizens and institutions. Given how in lockstep people are with defending whatever their politicians say or do, it would have been solid mitigation against declining standards of acceptable actions. Instead, we got widespread endorsement, which everybody was listening to, not just their base.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #128 on: February 08, 2022, 11:04:15 AM »

Your side did 220 violent riots which is much worse than anything the truckers are doing

It's not about 'sides' doing things. There are more than two sides and lots of bozos all over the place with wackadoodle ideas. Both of your created 'sides' commit more than enough violence to go around. Posters on this forum are not collectively responsible for things that their side has done, nor should they feel foolish because theoretical ideological sympathizers did something bad. That's going to be true for everyone at some point.

The shameful thing is the politicians that failed to denounce or encouraged last summer's violence directed at private citizens and institutions. Given how in lockstep people are with defending whatever their politicians say or do, it would have been solid mitigation against declining standards of acceptable actions. Instead, we got widespread endorsement, which everybody was listening to, not just their base.

This is the part that I most strongly agree with. You routinely see "red avatars" use the "your party" or "your side" attack against "blue avatars". It would not do for "blue avatars" to utilize the same kind of arguments in reverse.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #129 on: February 08, 2022, 11:09:53 AM »

This is the part that I most strongly agree with. You routinely see "red avatars" use the "your party" or "your side" attack against "blue avatars". It would not do for "blue avatars" to utilize the same kind of arguments in reverse.

Your side meaning the fact that he was trying to argue the blm protests were not as bad as this one , not in terms of party or ideology
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #130 on: February 08, 2022, 11:17:23 AM »

Are Freedom Truck Convoy protests are more peaceful than that?

Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #131 on: February 08, 2022, 11:24:40 AM »

Everyone claims that their opponents ideology is evil because it causes people to commit crimes.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #132 on: February 08, 2022, 11:29:11 AM »

Ok I edited out the your side part
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #133 on: February 08, 2022, 12:03:10 PM »

You didn't make it any better. I have never once defended a riot or an act of violence. I have always strongly condemned such things and support peaceful George Floyd protests only.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #134 on: February 08, 2022, 12:15:32 PM »

This is what conservatives are defending. Literally trying to kill a building full of people inside.

That's so much worse than looting. They literally tried to burn people alive.

But "go truckers they go against the nanny state", you sound like a damn infant.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #135 on: February 08, 2022, 12:17:23 PM »

Everyone claims that their opponents ideology is evil because it causes people to commit crimes.

The modern GOP is evil because it revolves around enabling abuse, championing ignorance and encouraging hate - all of which can exist in forms that are not crimes (as has been amply demonstrated by the GOP over the last decade).
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #136 on: February 08, 2022, 12:44:06 PM »

Its like the red avs "forgot" that there also were multiple instances of BLM/Antifa rioters barracading the doors of police stations while attempting to burn down the building killing all inside. At least now maybe this "diversity of tactics" can finally be condemned.

https://komonews.com/news/local/police-spokesperson-accuses-rioters-of-attempted-murder-for-trying-to-barricade-officers

https://nypost.com/2020/07/22/portland-protesters-barricade-courthouse-with-federal-officers-inside/

https://ugolini.co.th/ugolini/portland-rioters-barricade-door-and-set-fire-to-ice-building-with-federal-agents-inside-burn-the-precinct-to-the-ground/

OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #137 on: February 08, 2022, 01:22:47 PM »

You didn't make it any better. I have never once defended a riot or an act of violence. I have always strongly condemned such things and support peaceful George Floyd protests only.

No you tried to argue the summer 2020 protests were more peaceful then this one which is obviously not the case
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #138 on: February 08, 2022, 01:37:19 PM »
« Edited: February 08, 2022, 01:42:41 PM by 7,052,770 »

No you tried to argue the summer 2020 protests were more peaceful then this one which is obviously not the case

On a per capita level it is. Remember that over 25,000,000 protested George Floyd's murder.

No, the Canadian truckers will never spawn enough events to get the raw number of violent acts tangentially or directly connected with a protest, because their anti-vaccine cause isn't popular enough. But when we compare by percentages, we see the better comparison.

Look, we both support the nonviolent Floyd protests and abhor the small percentage (0.05% of participants) of deplorable thugs who used the protests as cover to commit violence. There's no disagreement there. The violence % of the truckers is also going to end up being very low in all likelihood. The key difference are the truckers are protesting for an awful and hateful cause, while the Floyd protesters were protesting for something good. There's no reason to even bring up both in the same conversation, but since you're doing it anyway, you should at least get the math right.

Let's say your wildest dreams come true and it turns out that only 0.03% of trucker protesters turn violent. Congrats. Now you just have 2 almost exclusively non-violent protests and we can judge them on what they were protesting. I'm willing to just do that anyway, actually.
Since I'm the mad scientist proclaimed by myself
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #139 on: February 08, 2022, 01:56:29 PM »

This is like the dumbest argument comparing violent riots and the efforts to lionize them to sign wavers. Your own numbers say 220 locations had riots over a 3 month period. Thats like 3 riots a day, every day, for 3 consecutive months. Are you seriously pretending thats not a big deal? I dont give a damn that there were 2,400 sign waving events. I care that mobs of criminals on 220 separate occassions over a 3 month period caused $1 billion in damage, injured thousands of cops, and murdered dozens of people while the media lied, the Dems bailed out the rioters as they claimed they didnt even exist, and the Soros prosecutors dismissed the charges.

But omg its the horn honking in canada and rubbing poop on the capitol walls thats the terrizms.
I wasn't comparing it to the trucker convoy. I was pointing out that the idea that black lives matter was mostly violent, which in this thread Fuzzy clearly implied, is nonsense.
Since I'm the mad scientist proclaimed by myself
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #140 on: February 08, 2022, 02:01:28 PM »

I wasn't comparing it to the trucker convoy. I was pointing out that the idea that black lives matter was mostly violent, which in this thread Fuzzy clearly implied, is nonsense.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #141 on: February 08, 2022, 06:31:51 PM »

The "convoy movement" today tried to halt international commerce that contributes to the livelihoods of millions. Search "Ambassador Bridge" in Google News.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #142 on: February 08, 2022, 06:49:17 PM »

The "convoy movement" today tried to halt international commerce that contributes to the livelihoods of millions. Search "Ambassador Bridge" in Google News.

The voice of the unheard. Smiley
Fight for Trump
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #143 on: February 08, 2022, 06:49:41 PM »
« Edited: February 08, 2022, 06:53:29 PM by Santander »

Didn't they already do this a couple weeks ago in the land of the mostly free? (Alberta)

Rich people not getting their Canada Goose jackets on time is a small price to pay for defending freedom in two countries. To paraphrase a wise philosopher, "the tragedy of the Canada Goose that's been delayed."
Benjamin Frank
Frank
Junior Chimp

« Reply #144 on: February 08, 2022, 07:02:25 PM »

You know his reading skills are fine. There’s tons of smart segregationists.

I genuinely think his reading comprehension skills are very poor.
Benjamin Frank
Frank
Junior Chimp

« Reply #145 on: February 08, 2022, 07:03:23 PM »

It's okay to protest if you do it my way and my way only.  Yes, Herr Justin!

Say what you will about the truckers, but I've never understood why Canadians continue to reelect Trudeau and his party.

Probably because Canadians generally are smarter than Americans.
Fight for Trump
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #146 on: February 08, 2022, 07:11:15 PM »

Say what you will about the truckers, but I've never understood why Canadians continue to reelect Trudeau and his party.

You're not a great example, then... You're not even nice.
Benjamin Frank
Frank
Junior Chimp

« Reply #147 on: February 08, 2022, 07:14:10 PM »
« Edited: February 08, 2022, 07:23:14 PM by Nasty but Frank »

If that's how these arguments go, you know who else was an individual actor or small group infiltrating a larger protest? The idiots who blockaded doors of a residential building and started a fire. The other 99 percent of protestors are non violent honking.

Historically there was no way I'd be the least bit sympathetic to demonstrators like this causing a ruckus, but after everyone was so indifferent to me being in the line of danger, I can only hope the same happens to them so they know what was being cheered on.

1.To deliberately and falsely minimize the 24/7 honking is dishonest.  There is, in fact, a court injunction against it.  

In fact, it's very likely this honking is an act of torture as defined by the United Nations Convention Against Torture, Act I Part I

"For the purposes of this Convention, the term "torture" means any act by which severe pain or suffering, whether physical or mental, is intentionally inflicted on a person for such purposes as obtaining from him or a third person information or a confession, punishing him for an act he or a third person has committed or is suspected of having committed, or intimidating or coercing him or a third person, or for any reason based on discrimination of any kind, when such pain or suffering is inflicted by or at the instigation of or with the consent or acquiescence of a public official or other person acting in an official capacity."

https://www.medicaldaily.com/torture-methods-sound-how-pure-noise-can-be-used-break-you-psychologically-318638

2.Beyond that, all (100%) of these occupiers/terrorists are blocking the streets of downtown Ottawa, impeding traffic and forcing businesses to close.  This, in itself, is subject to an injunction.  Of course, it's odd to see, for instance, Fuzzy Bear stating he stands with these terrorists, when he has so frequently gone on about how he would not allow others to impede his 'ingress and egress.'  And, I know he's not the only right winger here who has previously expressed that view.

It seems, as seems to be common, that those on the right only oppose things if they don't like its use in a specific situation.  Then they will be against it on some high principle, but when they agree, they will be arguing in favor on some equally high principle.

So, no.  Even your attempt to equate this terrorism/occupation with the BLM protests fails miserably and was obviously nothing more than lazy/mindless thinking to begin with.
Benjamin Frank
Frank
Junior Chimp

« Reply #148 on: February 08, 2022, 07:15:13 PM »

You're not a great example, then... You're not even nice.

Being nice and being smart have no relation to each other.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #149 on: February 08, 2022, 07:22:49 PM »

All I can say is peak irony bruh. Hope that was your goal. Not even worth a thoughtful response to someone who has a serious dearth of logical skill. See ya when someone quotes ya maybe. But hopefully not.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies