1/6 1st Anniversary Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 03, 2024, 01:15:13 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  1/6 1st Anniversary Megathread
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 13
Poll
Question: Should/will 1/6 become a national or federal holiday? (likely called Democracy Day?)
It should/it will

It should/it won't

It shouldn't/it will

It shouldn't/it won't

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 82

Author Topic: 1/6 1st Anniversary Megathread  (Read 8986 times)
Real Texan Politics
EEllis02
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -1.57

P P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 05, 2022, 11:48:53 PM »
« edited: January 06, 2022, 02:51:37 PM by Lone Star Politics »

Here for anyone to discuss the anniversary of 1/6, or to post bad takes, or anything relating.

Starting with...

Edit: Just put up a poll. If congress decides to make 1/6 into a national holiday to "remember the day when our democracy almost failed", will it pass and should it pass?
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2022, 11:56:40 PM »

Thank you, I had already completely forgotten about this event before I saw this thread. Hopefully the Democrats running for elected office this year and all the media outlets covering this do a better job reminding people of what happened before they think about voting in Republicans.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2022, 11:58:58 PM »

I would like to extend my best wishes to all, even the haters and losers (of which, sadly, there are many), on this special date, January 6th.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2022, 12:43:36 AM »

We really don’t need a thread for this
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2022, 12:50:03 AM »

Ironically the Kazakhstan situation will take away coverage from this.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2022, 01:15:11 AM »

Interestingly enough, former President Carter, at age 97, wrote an op-ed for the New York Times, warning about the internal dangers the United States faces on the eve of the 1/6 riots and suggests measures that can be taken to address these challenges.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2022, 01:32:26 AM »

The trivialization of 1/6 by both people on this forum as well as the media and the general American public is something that is truly frightening. 1 year ago today, our democracy was attacked, a year later, we are still not responding to the fact that American democracy is endangered.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2022, 01:42:45 AM »

The trivialization of 1/6 by both people on this forum as well as the media and the general American public is something that is truly frightening. 1 year ago today, our democracy was attacked, a year later, we are still not responding to the fact that American democracy is endangered.

Nearly half of American voters, and about as many Atlas posters, were either complicit or at least willing to go along with it if their side pulled it off.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2022, 01:53:04 AM »

Nearly half of American voters, and about as many Atlas posters, were either complicit or at least willing to go along with it if their side pulled it off.

stop
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2022, 01:53:57 AM »

stop
I mean he’s right 🤷‍♂️
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2022, 01:55:16 AM »

stop
I mean he’s right 🤷‍♂️

Half the Nation isnt complict or pro insurrection. That is hyperbole
GM Team Member and Deputy PPT WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2022, 01:57:06 AM »

stop
I mean he’s right 🤷‍♂️

Half the Nation isnt complict or pro insurrection. That is hyperbole
At least a quarter, if not a third then, that's still insane
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2022, 02:02:02 AM »

I believe that many people are still in the grip of the Trump Effect. For four years, Trump made it OK to be crude, vile, and unforgiving (among other awful qualities), and that negative egoistic mindset infiltrated into the consciousness of the citizens of our country. I think we are not responding to the endangerment of our democracy because too many people are still paralyzed by the confusion Trump engenders.

Especially Republicans, an ungodly number of them still believe Trump's lie that the election was stolen from him. What else can we call it but the Trump Effect. Until enough people see through the lie and call Trump on the carpet for it, too many citizens will remain in a confused stupor of inaction.

GM Team Member and Deputy PPT WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2022, 02:05:05 AM »

I believe that many people are still in the grip of the Trump Effect. For four years, Trump made it OK to be crude, vile, and unforgiving (among other awful qualities), and that negative egoistic mindset infiltrated into the consciousness of the citizens of our country. I think we are not responding to the endangerment of our democracy because too many people are still paralyzed by the confusion Trump engenders.

Especially Republicans, an ungodly number of them still believe Trump's lie that the election was stolen from him. What else can we call it but the Trump Effect. Until enough people see through the lie and call Trump on the carpet for it, too many citizens will remain in a confused stupor of inaction.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heat_death_of_the_universe

which will happen first
Klobmentum Mutilated Herself
Phlorescent Leech

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -8.35

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2022, 02:12:48 AM »

Interestingly enough, former President Carter, at age 97, wrote an op-ed for the New York Times, warning about the internal dangers the United States faces on the eve of the 1/6 riots and suggests measures that can be taken to address these challenges.
The Financial Times called it on January 4th, 2021.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2022, 05:15:36 AM »
« Edited: January 06, 2022, 05:20:59 AM by Mr. MANDELA BARNES »

The best way to end Trumpian is to defeat Rs in Midterms R Leadership has learned nothing they're obstruction of Boring Rights and McCarthy going to Maro Largo shows they still support Trump

The Election isn't over either it's still 10 mnths and in some polls IPSOS and ZOGBY has Biden at 50)48

SCHUMER said on Rachel Maddow tonight despite what Manchin said he will still have a vote on Jan 17 try u on changing the Filibuster rules and put Manchin and Sinema on record
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2022, 06:22:06 AM »

Every day is Jan 6th now. Remember, Republicans winning the house in November, or winning any election at all means the end of democracy. That's what the all the Experts™ are saying.
This user has not been convicted of 34 felonies
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2022, 07:51:31 AM »

Every day is Jan 6th now. Remember, Republicans winning the house in November, or winning any election at all means the end of democracy. That's what the all the Experts™ are saying.

Not sure if you're being sarcastic, but Republicans winning the House quite literally means that any Presidential election result in 2024 that doesn't benefit Republicans will at least be thrown into chaos. If the Democratic nominee wins in 2024, it is highly possible that they will not be seated as the next President without significant legal challenges that could go on for weeks or months.

Nevertheless, January 6th was an incredibly traumatic day and it is deeply troubling that much of the country is ready to move on from this event. I certainly wish our nation cared as much about an attack on our democracy as they do about smash and grabs (not that the latter is acceptable, since I know a few will think that two things can't be bad at the same time, but in varying degrees.)

Watching those events unfold was horrifying and solidified in my mind that our republic will not survive as long as one of two viable political parties believes that election results are arbitrary and can be overturned at will. I'm not sure how we reverse this trend and Make Democracy Great Again™ but it needs to be done soon or I fear we won't make it out as one whole nation.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2022, 09:25:41 AM »

That's the heart of it, and the horror show that most people on the left and right (for different reasons) don't want to face up to: Republicans are an existential threat to the United States, in a very immediate sense. Not because they're all personally monsters like movie Nazis or maddened hordes like Tolkien's orcs (they're not, though both of those examples are exaggerations of the lowest of human behavior), but because they embrace the banality of evil. We have just spent over four years watching them alternately justify, cheer, normalize or ignore a Republican Presidency and Party that could come straight out of some satirical bleak comedy about a dystopia. And they're still doing it. Whether it's governing in bad faith, lying about COVID, or normalizing their party's own past, current, and future destructive insanity, the GOP has become a relentless engine from grinding down America and breaking it to pieces.

I've no idea how it stops. I think that's what makes so many people who aren't Republicans unwilling to admit the horror-show the GOP has become. There's no good solution, and the outcomes are all terrible and outside of anything we've experienced in beyond living memory. If Republicans en masse understood this, perhaps they'd be open to real compromise and actual good-faith politics, but I think there's a base level of ignorance and self-delusion needed to be a Republican that prohibits any such self-awareness or understanding. Which leaves the US with a very bleak immediate future.

BigSerg
7sergi9

« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2022, 09:33:48 AM »

Clown "Megathread" 🤡

No one outside this echo chamber cares about this.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2022, 09:35:22 AM »

#RIPAshleyBabbitt
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2022, 09:44:05 AM »

Clown "Megathread" 🤡

Anyone who doesn't care about the January 6 domestic terrorist attack and attempted coup either doesn't know about it (for whatever reason) or they're a traitor.

I know which one you are.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2022, 09:44:32 AM »

Lately I feel like every day on this forum gives me a reason to stop engaging.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2022, 09:48:17 AM »

Clown "Megathread" 🤡

Anyone who doesn't care about the January 6 domestic terrorist attack and attempted coup either doesn't know about it (for whatever reason) or they're a traitor.

I know which one you are.

Cry harder.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2022, 09:48:37 AM »

Biden and Harris should receive Atlas death points for excessive hyperbole.  Roll Eyes
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 13  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies