Opinion of OSR?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 03:21:36 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Opinion of OSR?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Poll
Question: Opinion of OSR?
FF

HP

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 115

Author Topic: Opinion of OSR?  (Read 3324 times)
If my soul was made of stone
discovolante
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.13, S: -5.57

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2021, 10:39:25 PM »

Extremely inarticulate, to the point that some of his highly roundabout and awkward ways of phrasing simple sentiments become almost poetic. That he's a rock-ribbed Reaganite with a brick wall for brains is merely incidental.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2021, 11:34:04 PM »

Politics aside (where I think he could at least acknowledge some of the points made to him), he seems like a decent guy who's pretty agreeable about other topics.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2021, 09:28:33 AM »

Easily FF, a good poster even though I don't share most of his political views.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2021, 09:45:46 AM »

FF
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2021, 01:27:33 PM »

HP.

Not even close to being one of the worst blue avatars here, but that doesn't say much.

It often seems as if he's just espousing arguments that he doesn't really believe or put much thought into, but just says them because they're this week's Republican talking point.

And I never have much sympathy for the "I was a moderate Republican until the Democrats made me shift to the right!" excuse.
kwabbit

« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2021, 02:23:04 PM »

HP.

Not even close to being one of the worst blue avatars here, but that doesn't say much.

It often seems as if he's just espousing arguments that he doesn't really believe or put much thought into, but just says them because they're this week's Republican talking point.

And I never have much sympathy for the "I was a moderate Republican until the Democrats made me shift to the right!" excuse.

His behavior has certainly shifted. When Trump was in office and he was a 'Biden Republican' it put a bound on how far right and how partisan he was able to be. I joined the forum roughly a year ago and I remember OSR being quite moderate then. Once Trump left office he almost immediately became very disapproving of Biden and has espoused much more right wing views.

It's not that he has had an organic change in his ideology, I think it's just that lens through which he framed his politics evaporated and he then quickly developed a new lens around opposing Biden. It goes to show how fluid and self-identity based politics can be.
AGA
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -4.70

P P
« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2021, 02:36:49 PM »

FF .
Gracile
gracile
Moderators
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -7.65

« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2021, 02:38:54 PM »

I like him more than Olive Garden's minestrone soup, but less than its unlimited breadstick special.
Vice President Christian Man
Christian Man
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -2.26

P P P

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2021, 02:39:22 PM »

VBM
VBNMWEB
YaBB God

« Reply #34 on: November 22, 2021, 04:08:59 PM »

Neutral
THG
TheTarHeelGent
United States

« Reply #35 on: November 22, 2021, 04:22:36 PM »

FF, but has gotten more partisan and petty as the Biden administration has progressed.

HP.

His behavior has certainly shifted. When Trump was in office and he was a 'Biden Republican' it put a bound on how far right and how partisan he was able to be. I joined the forum roughly a year ago and I remember OSR being quite moderate then. Once Trump left office he almost immediately became very disapproving of Biden and has espoused much more right wing views.

It's not that he has had an organic change in his ideology, I think it's just that lens through which he framed his politics evaporated and he then quickly developed a new lens around opposing Biden. It goes to show how fluid and self-identity based politics can be.

I’ve also gotten more partisan as this administration has progressed, tbh.

The only difference is that I never had any expectations for the Biden administration to get anything right, and figured that 4 more years of Trump (for all of his many, many faults) would still be infinitely preferable to 4 more years of the DNC, and given the disastrous results of the current administration, I feel fairly confident that my judgement last year was accurate.

However, this does not mean that I want another Trump run in 2024. I dread the prospect of that happening again, and while I shall still probably vote for DJT in 2024 if he’s the Republican nominee, I don’t want to.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #36 on: November 22, 2021, 05:44:11 PM »

FF, but has gotten more partisan and petty as the Biden administration has progressed.

HP.

I’ve also gotten more partisan as this administration has progressed, tbh.

The only difference is that I never had any expectations for the Biden administration to get anything right, and figured that 4 more years of Trump (for all of his many, many faults) would still be infinitely preferable to 4 more years of the DNC, and given the disastrous results of the current administration, I feel fairly confident that my judgement last year was accurate.

However, this does not mean that I want another Trump run in 2024. I dread the prospect of that happening again, and while I shall still probably vote for DJT in 2024 if he’s the Republican nominee, I don’t want to.

This is kinda what we mean when we say we have a hard time taking Republican criticism/repudiation of Trump seriously. You condemn this statement, you disagree with this action, but when it comes down to it you just end up voting for him anyway.

What difference does your criticism make if you're not going to actually do anything about it?
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #37 on: November 22, 2021, 05:55:19 PM »

If this train wreck of a thread doesn't persuade people that opinion of threads are a fail, nothing will. Man the lenses people see the same person through are more distorting than a cocktail of LSD and Meth.
AncestralDemocrat.
United States

« Reply #38 on: November 22, 2021, 06:48:19 PM »

Titanium FF.. although he's a RINO.  Smile
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #39 on: November 22, 2021, 06:51:59 PM »

FF. He's someone who does a good job of analyzing the dynamics at play in the country today, and I appreciate that greatly.
Chips
Those Chips
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #40 on: November 22, 2021, 08:19:16 PM »

One thing to remember with Never-Trump Republicans is that they're still.....well, Republicans.

They hate Trump (and for most, not so much because they disagree greatly with his positions but because of who he is and his conduct) and were willing to either vote for Biden or sit it out but they still very much disagree with Biden's policies and will go back to support a slightly more friendly Republican who shares many of Trump's views but doesn't spew the same rhetoric next time Trump doesn't run.

It's like the Bernie Bros who hated Trump but hated Clinton more causing them to either sit at home or vote Trump but easily came home to a more charismatic Democratic candidate with a lot less skeletons in the closet four years later.
Pouring Rain and Blairing Music
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #41 on: November 22, 2021, 10:30:14 PM »

I’ll defer to the late John McCain on this:

“He’s a decent family man [and] citizen that just I just happen to have disagreements with on fundamental issues, and that’s what the campaign’s all about.”

I can’t say that I agree with him even 10% of the time, but I don’t think he’s an awful person.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #42 on: November 23, 2021, 05:04:35 AM »

FF, despite some highly disagreeable political stances.

Let's face it, this sums up most of the country over the last five years, unfortunately.
YE
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #43 on: November 23, 2021, 05:07:48 AM »

Not very articulate but who cares really. FF.
Fuzzy Bear Loves Christian Missionaries
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #44 on: November 23, 2021, 07:30:08 AM »

One thing to remember with Never-Trump Republicans is that they're still.....well, Republicans.

They hate Trump (and for most, not so much because they disagree greatly with his positions but because of who he is and his conduct) and were willing to either vote for Biden or sit it out but they still very much disagree with Biden's policies and will go back to support a slightly more friendly Republican who shares many of Trump's views but doesn't spew the same rhetoric next time Trump doesn't run.

It's like the Bernie Bros who hated Trump but hated Clinton more causing them to either sit at home or vote Trump but easily came home to a more charismatic Democratic candidate with a lot less skeletons in the closet four years later.

They hate Trump, but they have worked to usher in an Administration that, if you believe their past rhetoric, is making their worst policy nightmares a reality.

OSR didn't like Trump, but he wasn't the NeverTrumper some was here.  As for being a RINO, I've been more of a RINO than he is over the years.  OSR has always been a Romney/Ryan type Republican, and he views them as the extension of Reagan.  He's also a Bush supporter, and more "globalist" and "free trade" than I am.  If he's changed, it's that he's reacting to a markedly changed political landscape, and a change imposed far more by the Left than by Trump.

OSR is an FF and a person with integrity.  Period.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #45 on: November 23, 2021, 08:28:36 AM »

Computer89 is staggeringly dim, maybe more so than any other poster I've noticed on this site, and what's striking is that in all the years he's spent on this site he does not seem to have grown or matured in his posting in any way.

I find it interesting that you refer to him by his actual username, rather than his "screen name". I wonder if that's supposed to be an indictment of him.

But at any rate, he is an FF for me. I don't agree with him on everything, and I certainly do think that he could work on his grammar and punctuation. But he's far from the worst person who posts on this forum.

I admit, I still think of him as Computer09 because it's a much better username than his current one, which is my least favourite genre of Atlas name ("Huey Long Liberal" and the like). I understand why he changed it given, AAD always took the mick due to a perceived robotic writing style.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #46 on: November 23, 2021, 08:31:38 AM »

Computer89 is staggeringly dim, maybe more so than any other poster I've noticed on this site, and what's striking is that in all the years he's spent on this site he does not seem to have grown or matured in his posting in any way.

I find it interesting that you refer to him by his actual username, rather than his "screen name". I wonder if that's supposed to be an indictment of him.

But at any rate, he is an FF for me. I don't agree with him on everything, and I certainly do think that he could work on his grammar and punctuation. But he's far from the worst person who posts on this forum.

I admit, I still think of him as Computer09 because it's a much better username than his current one, which is my least favourite genre of Atlas name ("Huey Long Liberal" and the like). I understand why he changed it given, AAD always took the mick due to a perceived robotic writing style.

I'm not aware of his relationship with the posters of Atlas After Dark. But Xahar referring to him by his old username certainly seems to be an expression of contempt on his part towards Old School Republican. People will often refer to others in a mocking way if they don't like them.
Morning in Atlas
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #47 on: November 23, 2021, 12:07:28 PM »

We couldn't be farther apart politically but he seems like a good guy.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #48 on: November 23, 2021, 09:00:56 PM »

HP.

FTR, he made it clear he wouldn't and did not vote for Biden either.  Noted props for not voting for trump, and I don't know who he voted for in the end-a write in for Ronald Reagan would be my guess-but it would be inaccurate to say he was  Independent minded enough to be a Biden Republican.
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #49 on: November 23, 2021, 09:18:27 PM »

HP.

FTR, he made it clear he wouldn't and did not vote for Biden either.  Noted props for not voting for trump, and I don't know who he voted for in the end-a write in for Ronald Reagan would be my guess-but it would be inaccurate to say he was  Independent minded enough to be a Biden Republican.
OSR iirc said that he wrote in Romney/Kaisch (?) or the other way around.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies