January 6th legal proceedings and investigations megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 28, 2024, 11:33:42 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  January 6th legal proceedings and investigations megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100 101 [102] 103 104 105 106 107 ... 151
Poll
Question: Will Trump be convicted in his DC January 6 case?
He will be convicted

He won't be convicted

He should be convicted

He should not be convicted

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 66

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: January 6th legal proceedings and investigations megathread  (Read 143752 times)
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2525 on: August 01, 2023, 07:01:31 PM »

Thought I'd share this hear too from ABC:

Fitch informed Biden administration officials that the Jan. 6, 2021 insurrection was a factor in its decision to downgrade because it indicated an unstable government, according to a person familiar with the discussions between the administration and the rating agency. Fitch produced a report last year that showed government stability declined from 2018 to 2021, but increased since Biden assumed the presidency, said the person, who was granted anonymity to disclose private conversations.

https://abcnews.go.com/Business/wireStory/fitch-downgrades-us-credit-rating-citing-mounting-debt-101919526

Ironic he's getting indicted today seeing as how he damaged America's credit rating from this stunt.

Fitch Ratings has downgraded the United States government’s credit rating, citing rising debt at the federal, state, and local levels and a “steady deterioration in standards of governance” over the past two decades

America deserves this for what it did to Al Gore.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #2526 on: August 01, 2023, 07:05:24 PM »

FF statement, makes me proud to support him. I hope the rest of you will consider joining me, regardless of your personal ideology.

You are talking about a guy who was Trump's little b**tch for 4 and a half years before 1/6.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2527 on: August 01, 2023, 07:08:25 PM »

Republicans only use the law as a cudgel to beat their opponents with. They do not obey it themselves.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #2528 on: August 01, 2023, 07:11:49 PM »

Thought I'd share this hear too from ABC:

Fitch informed Biden administration officials that the Jan. 6, 2021 insurrection was a factor in its decision to downgrade because it indicated an unstable government, according to a person familiar with the discussions between the administration and the rating agency. Fitch produced a report last year that showed government stability declined from 2018 to 2021, but increased since Biden assumed the presidency, said the person, who was granted anonymity to disclose private conversations.

https://abcnews.go.com/Business/wireStory/fitch-downgrades-us-credit-rating-citing-mounting-debt-101919526

Ironic he's getting indicted today seeing as how he damaged America's credit rating from this stunt.

Fitch Ratings has downgraded the United States government’s credit rating, citing rising debt at the federal, state, and local levels and a “steady deterioration in standards of governance” over the past two decades

America deserves this for what it did to Al Gore.

Gore ran a terrible campaign lost due to that.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2529 on: August 01, 2023, 07:16:02 PM »

FF statement, makes me proud to support him. I hope the rest of you will consider joining me, regardless of your personal ideology.

nah
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2530 on: August 01, 2023, 07:20:57 PM »

I think we got him!
And also his clownish co-conspirators.
May they all rot in prison.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #2531 on: August 01, 2023, 07:26:51 PM »
« Edited: August 01, 2023, 08:09:08 PM by 7,052,770 »

Looks like the GOP needs to rally around whoever is the leading anti Trump candidate after IA/NH and do everything possible to help them get them nomination . DeSantis Scott Haley Pence Christe all should make a deal with each other behind the scenes to ensure this happens

The problem with this is that Trump is already over 50% and would gain a little more as candidates dropped out. Like I imagine that he'd inherit close to half of DeSantis voters if DeSantis dropped out. Probably true for the others too. There just isn't nearly a large enough anti-Trump element in the Republican primary electorate.

Like in that poll you linked in the other thread, 65% of DeSantis supporters have a positive opinion of Trump and 45% of supporters of other Republicans do too. Even if you somehow got Trump under 50%, you could never coalesce all of the other candidate's support around just one of them, as the dropouts would just leak support back to Trump.
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2532 on: August 01, 2023, 07:27:54 PM »

The only Candidate I would consider to support besides DeSantis is Tim Scott.

Mike Pence is a Religious BIGOT! He isn't even a Christian! He probably has some mormon faith like Mitt Romney.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #2533 on: August 01, 2023, 07:30:11 PM »

Mike Pence is a Religious BIGOT! He isn't even a Christian! He probably has some mormon faith like Mitt Romney.

So if it's Pence (or Haley, Ramaswamy, etc.) vs. Biden next November, you're joining us? Welcome!
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #2534 on: August 01, 2023, 07:34:59 PM »

What a weak reply by DeSantis

Ramaswamy was on Fox just minutes ago. He cited a Court case that indicated that candidates are allowed to lie (which should protect Trump’s dishonesty during 2020), he says a president shouldn’t be indicted on novel theories, and he cites DOJ’s response to his FOIL result to argue that the DOJ should be mistrusted

Unlike DeSantis, Ramaswamy and Pence have at least given decent responses to the indictment … how can DeSantis just admit outright that he didn’t read the indictment

The indictment isn't about Trump lying. He is allowed to say whatever he wants. It's about the fact he and his co-conspirators took action to overturn and subvert the will of the voters knowing what they were doing was wrong and knowing there was no fraud in the election.

In fact, this indictment has very little to do with what happened on January 6th.
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2535 on: August 01, 2023, 07:38:07 PM »

So if it's Pence (or Haley, Ramaswamy, etc.) vs. Biden next November, you're joining us? Welcome!
I like how Tim Scott talks about his Faith in Iowa to the Evangelical Constituency. Call me crazy but if Trump and DeSantis go at each other Tim Scott might actually have a chance winning Iowa.

And yes, I like the guy.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2536 on: August 01, 2023, 07:42:00 PM »

The irony of thinking Pence is a religious bigot but not DeSantis.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2537 on: August 01, 2023, 07:42:48 PM »

U.S. President felony indictment count:

1-44,46: 0

45: 34 71 74 78

GeorgiaModerate,
Please continue to update your list of indictments against trump. I have been noticing your post on this, in various threads. (Love it.)
Thank you.
Smiley

Suggestion: Do like I was doing in the McCarthy Speakership thread, where "A Speaker has not been elected."
Make each number bigger and bigger, as trump continues to rack-up more and more charges.
Like this ...

45: 34   71   74   78
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #2538 on: August 01, 2023, 08:05:42 PM »

What a weak reply by DeSantis

Ramaswamy was on Fox just minutes ago. He cited a Court case that indicated that candidates are allowed to lie (which should protect Trump’s dishonesty during 2020), he says a president shouldn’t be indicted on novel theories, and he cites DOJ’s response to his FOIL result to argue that the DOJ should be mistrusted

Unlike DeSantis, Ramaswamy and Pence have at least given decent responses to the indictment … how can DeSantis just admit outright that he didn’t read the indictment

The indictment isn't about Trump lying. He is allowed to say whatever he wants. It's about the fact he and his co-conspirators took action to overturn and subvert the will of the voters knowing what they were doing was wrong and knowing there was no fraud in the election.

In fact, this indictment has very little to do with what happened on January 6th.

Jack Smith is a great lawyer. Don't get outside the easy lift zone based on the law and facts. It is as if he read my posts that I didn't think bagging Trump over being a conspirator in storming the Capitol to overturn the election had much if any traction. So we get more in the weeds about how a bunch or corrupt quintet of lawyers were causative agents in generating fraudulent documents at the behest of Trump.
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2539 on: August 01, 2023, 08:07:55 PM »

(Quoting from the unreliable and untrustworthy deadbirdsite since it seems an appropriate venue for Haberman.)

Alarmed Trump whisperers must hurry to the well and start drawing water for their gravy train.

Haberman is shilling for Trump here. She is not doing journalism, she is simply amplifying a message Trump wants spread. The message that "Trump thought he'd won, so none of this is a crime!"
And she knows what she's doing. She's providing a legitimacy to a nonsense defense (Smith's indictment alone make it clear that Trump knew he'd lost). This is truly despicable behavior, and actions like this are a large part of why Trump is a still a political power in the United States.

GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2540 on: August 01, 2023, 08:09:57 PM »

(Quoting from the unreliable and untrustworthy deadbirdsite since it seems an appropriate venue for Haberman.)

Alarmed Trump whisperers must hurry to the well and start drawing water for their gravy train.

Haberman is shilling for Trump here. She is not doing journalism, she is simply amplifying a message Trump wants spread. The message that "Trump thought he'd won, so none of this is a crime!"
And she knows what she's doing. She's providing a legitimacy to a nonsense defense (Smith's indictment alone make it clear that Trump knew he'd lost). This is truly despicable behavior, and actions like this are a large part of why Trump is a still a political power in the United States.

I do not see this as shilling for Trump.  Haberman is reporting on what a Trump lawyer is floating as a defense.  This is legitimate news.  It's just not a legitimate defense.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2541 on: August 01, 2023, 08:11:07 PM »

Or she's reporting the news. Why do you even look given your disdain for both her and now Twitter.
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2542 on: August 01, 2023, 08:15:07 PM »

I do not see this as shilling for Trump.  Haberman is reporting on what a Trump lawyer is floating as a defense.  This is legitimate news.  It's just not a legitimate defense.

Uncritically repeating misleading claims is not journalism.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2543 on: August 01, 2023, 08:49:24 PM »

Yes, although I don't see him spending a day in a prison cell.  After he loses his 2024 election bid, he will be hightailing it out of the United States permanently.  Which is fine with me -so long as he never again participates in our politics, I will be satisfied with his self-exile.  
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #2544 on: August 01, 2023, 08:53:52 PM »

Or she's reporting the news. Why do you even look given your disdain for both her and now Twitter.

What’s Twitter? You mean X?
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2545 on: August 01, 2023, 09:03:26 PM »

Indictment highlights how Trump put Pence in danger on January 6.

The indictment highlights how former President Donald Trump put Vice President Mike Pence in danger on January 6, 2021, and how members of the pro-Trump mob threatened to kill Pence.

The charging documents quote a Trump tweet from 2:24 p.m. ET, while the Capitol was under attack, in which Trump criticized his vice president for refusing to interfere with the Electoral College certification.

One minute later, the indictment noted, "the United States Secret Service was forced to evacuate the Vice President to a secure location.”

Via CNN Live Updates.
Yoda
United States

« Reply #2546 on: August 01, 2023, 09:05:58 PM »

Yes. Jack Smith would not bring any charges he couldn't prove, and the jury and judge will not be sympathetic to the defendant. He's screwed.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #2547 on: August 01, 2023, 09:11:04 PM »

Redban

« Reply #2548 on: August 01, 2023, 09:11:42 PM »

Yes. Jack Smith would not bring any charges he couldn't prove, and the jury and judge will not be sympathetic to the defendant. He's screwed.

I did not know Jack Smith has never brought charges he couldn’t prove

https://thehill.com/opinion/white-house/3773758-trump-special-counsel-jack-smith-lost-the-john-edwards-case-what-might-that-mean/

ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2549 on: August 01, 2023, 09:12:37 PM »

A senior adviser to former President Donald Trump’s 2020 campaign called claims of supposed voter fraud “conspiracy sh*t beamed down from the mothership,” according to the indictment.

The advisor was Jason Miller, a source familiar with the matter told CNN. Miller’s attorney declined to comment.

According to the indictment, Miller spoke with Trump on a daily basis and “informed him on multiple occasions that various fraud claims were untrue.”

Via CNN Live Updates.

This detail had me laughing.
“conspiracy sh*t beamed down from the mothership"
Just shows how some competent people trying to advise trump, felt so out-of-place (and immensely frustrated) with how/why others believed in such nonsense.
Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100 101 [102] 103 104 105 106 107 ... 151  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies