Catholic bishops this week will discuss if Biden qualifies for Communion.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 08:33:52 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Catholic bishops this week will discuss if Biden qualifies for Communion.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7
Author Topic: Catholic bishops this week will discuss if Biden qualifies for Communion.  (Read 4771 times)
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: June 18, 2021, 09:39:22 PM »

Battista Minola 1616 isn’t going to like this post lol.
To be fair, I think that all religions are jokes to some extent, but Catholicism is particularly egregious considering that Martin Luther exposed the Catholic Church of being run by blatant grifters trying to get rich off of selling “salvation,” yet it’s still one of the most widespread religions to this day. Not to mention that a lot of the Popes, who are supposed to be the most holy and devout Catholics of their era, have proven to be some of the most ghoulish figures in history

In defense of Catholicism, more than a little has changed even within that hidebound archaic institution the last five hundred plus years.

Don't get me wrong. I left the Catholic Church for a theologically progressive Protestant sect over the American Catholic hierarchy since assistance on enforcing the rules of manmade tradition rather than the gospel Christ. However, it is silly to assert that all practicing Catholics are fools because the church is allegedly the exact same as when Luther nailed his Treatise to a church door half a millennia ago
Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #101 on: June 18, 2021, 10:12:38 PM »

I don't see the issue with Bishops being Catholic and following Catholic doctrine.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #102 on: June 18, 2021, 10:12:51 PM »

The bishops, for better or worse, are the teachers of the faith Biden says he is devoted to. That is simply how the Catholic faith works. The Church has been resolute on abortion since the beginning, so if a politician is not willing to follow that as they govern, why is the Church not justified in taking remedial action? It is rather shocking how many people have an opinion on an internal affair between certain politicians and their faith, especially those who are not Catholic. How does this affect you? Why are all these progressives up in arms?

The church has no business sticking its nose into politics.

Biden personally opposes abortion.

Why not? How is politics not an intersection of many different areas the Church cares about, including morality?

So he personally believes abortion is murder, but thinks it should be legal anyways? That's simply not a defendable stance.

If the church wants to go into politics, then it better be willing to give up its tax exemption status.

But why? Why should the speech of the Church be silenced in the political arena under the threat of government penalty? Why are Democrats ok with that?

penalty?

tax exemption is a privilege

Threatening to tax me because of my political speech is indeed a penalty, yes, regardless if its a church or some other non-profit.

This country was founded on the principle of religious freedom.

If the church wants to play politics, then it better be willing to lose its tax exemption status.

....yes? It is obviously against religious freedom to prohibit the Church from entering the political sphere.

...have you ever heard of "separation of church and state"?

I'm not advocating for the Church to take over the state, am I? Further, the 1st Amendment is the precise opposite: the Church needs protection from the state, not, as you are implying, the other way around.

Did you ever took American history in school?

Some of the very first Europeans to settle in America did so because of religious freedom.

Not really.  Certainly neither the Spanish nor the Portuguese were interested in religious freedom.  Not were the Puritans; they just wanted their own religious beliefs to be the officially allowed religion, but were intolerant of other beliefs. South Carolina was one of the more tolerant colonies, which is why Lutherans, Huguenots, and Jews settled here in colonial times. Only the evil Papists were barred.

(Fun fact: South Carolina's colonial blue laws prohibited Christian-owned businesses opening on Sundays, however Jewish-owned businesses were allowed to be open Sundays, but had to be closed on Saturdays.)
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #103 on: June 18, 2021, 10:28:06 PM »

I don't see the issue with Bishops being Catholic and following Catholic doctrine.

Because The Bishop's enforcement and definition of so-called Catholic Doctrine is selective as hell.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #104 on: June 18, 2021, 10:30:08 PM »
« Edited: June 18, 2021, 10:33:43 PM by True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자) »

Absolutely not.

If one wants to join a tolerant high church Christian denomination, there are far better choices than the theologically challenged Episcopal Church.

I may be biased, but personally I'd recommend the ELCA.

http://metrodcelca.org
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #105 on: June 18, 2021, 10:34:56 PM »

Because The Bishop's enforcement and definition of so-called Catholic Doctrine is selective as hell.

I mean, IIRC abortion is seen as considerably worse than what Republicans are doing.  There's also the issue that the Catholic Church used to support the death penalty, but never supported abortion.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #106 on: June 18, 2021, 10:39:07 PM »

I mean, IIRC abortion is seen as considerably worse than what Republicans are doing.  There's also the issue that the Catholic Church used to support the death penalty, but never supported abortion.

Unfortunately that's simply empirically incorrect. I can tell you both first-hand following the church's progression both when I was Catholic and has a formula that the church has always always always always whispered its opposition towards miserly anti-christian government policy set screw the poor and contract efforts of social justice of peace, while bellowing from megaphone conservative partisan issues like abortion, gay marriage, and euthanasia. If they were truly even handed or even close to it such subjects, I could respect the church a heck of a lot more at night I can I can well, no, four Bears theological issues still wouldn't - - be a member of the church. But they really have been absolutely happy with this double standard which is according to the preachings of Jesus himself, theologically unsound as hell for the last 40 years. Frankly, when we use the church's doctrinal history goes back Centuries with only brief periods of Reform. But that's another subject.

Also, more fundamentally when one looks at the current makeup of regular churchgoers and its primary donors, if the American Bishops or anywhere near as even-handed in their condemnation of policies that defy Jesus's teachings about the poor and the outcast situations like a portion of homosexuality, the pews on Sunday and, even more importantly, American churches bank accounts, would be markedly diminished.
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #107 on: June 18, 2021, 10:52:58 PM »

Unfortunately that's simply empirically incorrect. I can tell you both first-hand following the church's progression both when I was Catholic and has a formula that the church has always always always always whispered its opposition towards miserly anti-christian government policy set screw the poor and contract efforts of social justice of peace, while bellowing from megaphone conservative partisan issues like abortion, gay marriage, and euthanasia. If they were truly even handed or even close to it such subjects, I could respect the church a heck of a lot more at night I can I can well, no, four Bears theological issues still wouldn't - - be a member of the church. But they really have been absolutely happy with this double standard which is according to the preachings of Jesus himself, theologically unsound as hell for the last 40 years. Frankly, when we use the church's doctrinal history goes back Centuries with only brief periods of Reform. But that's another subject.

Also, more fundamentally when one looks at the current makeup of regular churchgoers and its primary donors, if the American Bishops or anywhere near as even-handed in their condemnation of policies that defy Jesus's teachings about the poor and the outcast situations like a portion of homosexuality, the pews on Sunday and, even more importantly, American churches bank accounts, would be markedly diminished.

But if the Catholic Church is right about abortion, then it's the most evil thing happening in America today.  How could anything else come close to it?
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #108 on: June 18, 2021, 11:08:35 PM »
« Edited: June 18, 2021, 11:12:48 PM by Badger »

I mean, IIRC abortion is seen as considerably worse than what Republicans are doing.  There's also the issue that the Catholic Church used to support the death penalty, but never supported abortion.

But if the Catholic Church is right about abortion, then it's the most evil thing happening in America today.  How could anything else come close to it?

Because they're not? Furthermore, if the words of a guy named Jesus means anything to the faith, then its monomania on the subject is completely unfounded.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #109 on: June 18, 2021, 11:11:05 PM »

But if the Catholic Church is right about abortion, then it's the most evil thing happening in America today.  How could anything else come close to it?

Considering how the abortion rate very noticeably decreased under Clinton and Obama, unlike Trump and the Bushes, someone who believes that really needs to be voting for Democratic presidents.

It is a near certainty that there will be fewer abortions in America between 2021 and 2024 than there would have been had Trump been reelected.
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #110 on: June 18, 2021, 11:17:12 PM »

Considering how the abortion rate very noticeably decreased under Clinton and Obama, unlike Trump and the Bushes, someone who believes that really needs to be voting for Democratic presidents.

It is a near certainty that there will be fewer abortions in America between 2021 and 2024 than there would have been had Trump been reelected.

Maybe because Republicans took control of a lot of state legislatures and passed abortion restrictions?

Because they're not? Furthermore, if the words of a guy named Jesus means anything to the faith, then its monomania on the subject is completely unfounded.

If the Catholic Church is right, then hundreds of thousands of people are being murdered legally every year.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #111 on: June 18, 2021, 11:46:20 PM »

Maybe because Republicans took control of a lot of state legislatures and passed abortion restrictions?

If the Catholic Church is right, then hundreds of thousands of people are being murdered legally every year.

If the Catholic Church equates microbes the size of a fingernail as "people", then yes. I'm hardly heartless to the concept of a fertilized Zygarde being a "baby", having held such views when I was a teenager. However, when one equates the six-figure death toll each year due to inadequate Health Care in this country as documented by such Publications as the Harvard medical School Journal, as well as tens of thousands of as a direct or indirect cause of poverty, the American Catholic hierarchy position of support of abortion legalization movie of denial of the most sacred and fundamental rite abortion within the church, but Bruce Lee money worshipping policies regarding caring for the poor, the sick, and fighting for social justice being readily Remedy by throwing an extra fiver in the poor box, such hypocrisy is not worthy of respect or not being called out for anything other than rank insertion of The Bishop's personal patriarchal views into church teaching as it is.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #112 on: June 18, 2021, 11:49:15 PM »

If the Catholic Church equates microbes the size of a fingernail as "people", then yes. I'm hardly heartless to the concept of a fertilized Zygarde being a "baby", having held such views when I was a teenager. However, when one equates the six-figure death toll each year due to inadequate Health Care in this country as documented by such Publications as the Harvard medical School Journal, as well as tens of thousands of as a direct or indirect cause of poverty, the American Catholic hierarchy position of support of abortion legalization movie of denial of the most sacred and fundamental rite abortion within the church, but Bruce Lee money worshipping policies regarding caring for the poor, the sick, and fighting for social justice being readily Remedy by throwing an extra fiver in the poor box, such hypocrisy is not worthy of respect or not being called out for anything other than rank insertion of The Bishop's personal patriarchal views into church teaching as it is.

Oh, and damn near every sociological and scientific survey Under the Sun demonstrates that isn't restricted so much by laws mandating that doctors are rang patience with Morningstar baby wolf hatem if they go through with the procedure, but rather parents having economic and social safety nets to ensure they can afford to raise their child. Admittedly, and your second is geographical proximity of abortion services oh, but those are not largely controlled by state legislatures.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #113 on: June 18, 2021, 11:51:49 PM »

Glad to hear Catholic bishops look poised to do the right thing. I wasn't expecting them to go through with it.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #114 on: June 19, 2021, 12:01:51 AM »

Nothing could, of course. The people drawing an equivalence don't follow Catholic priorities, so their complaints of alleged hypocrisy merely amount to a difference in moral compasses. The bishops don't prioritize their opinions, nor should they.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #115 on: June 19, 2021, 12:03:42 AM »

Will anyone’s vote be changed by this? Will this lead to further gains for Republicans among the Latino community?
The answer to both questions is a clear "no". Now, will it expedite the bleeding of members the Catholic Church has been suffering for decades? I think the answer to that is clearly "yes".
Benjamin Frank
Frank
Junior Chimp

« Reply #116 on: June 19, 2021, 07:07:14 AM »

Catholic Church cancel culture.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #117 on: June 19, 2021, 07:18:57 AM »

Will anyone’s vote be changed by this? Will this lead to further gains for Republicans among the Latino community?
The answer to both questions is a clear "no". Now, will it expedite the bleeding of members the Catholic Church has been suffering for decades? I think the answer to that is clearly "yes".

It's interesting that the group most focused on and critical of Biden's Catholic faith in 2021 is his own Church. I don't think that will go unnoticed.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #118 on: June 19, 2021, 07:32:19 AM »

Any religious person who would deny someone else a part in their religion is not actually religious.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #119 on: June 19, 2021, 07:57:16 AM »

Any religious person who would deny someone else a part in their religion is not actually religious.

Another shockingly chauvinistic posts coming from what poses as a progressive point of view. It's incredible that anyone could take this perspective without recognizing the sheer provincialism involved in doing so. Your ways are not everyone's ways, nor do they need to be.

Okay, great.

But I still doubt any religion that excludes others from participating.  Such exclusion makes whatever religious devotion as extremely and utterly insincere.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #120 on: June 19, 2021, 08:04:12 AM »

Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #121 on: June 19, 2021, 08:21:56 AM »
« Edited: June 19, 2021, 08:30:04 AM by The Daily Beagle »

Will be really interesting if they do this. Aren’t all sins the same? At the very least, it’s either going to give Protestant churches a real shot in the arm as more Protestants become atheist or Fundamentalists or maybe many Catholics will become Atheists. I doubt it, though. Who knows?

I want to rewind here. Can any Sunday School teacher tell me what happens if someone is denied communion. Are they excommunicated? Do they go to hell? Are they still Catholic? Christian? What happens to them when they die? What if communion is then denied to not just politicians who openly tolerate grave moral evils but also those who actually participate in grave moral evils?
Geoffrey Howe
Geoffrey Howe admirer
United Kingdom

« Reply #122 on: June 19, 2021, 08:24:26 AM »

I do not believe in God. Should I be able to "take part" in the Catholic faith?

I don't need to because the Anglicans will accept me Tongue
LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #123 on: June 19, 2021, 08:31:40 AM »

The fact that 44% of Republican Catholics are OK with Biden receiving the Eucharist is actually kind of surprising, and goes to show how poorly this will be viewed in public opinion (not that the Bishops care, of course).
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #124 on: June 19, 2021, 08:34:03 AM »

Any religious person who would deny someone else a part in their religion  is not actually religious.

I do not believe in God. Should I be able to "take part" in the Catholic faith?

I don't need to because the Anglicans will accept me Tongue

That’s a reasonable answer if you take the question literally but not as it was intended to be taken.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies