MD-SEN 2024: Cardin retiring, Hogan IN
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 10:02:57 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  MD-SEN 2024: Cardin retiring, Hogan IN
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17
Author Topic: MD-SEN 2024: Cardin retiring, Hogan IN  (Read 17814 times)
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #350 on: March 27, 2024, 01:12:47 AM »

D not public poll had Trone leading Hogan and Alsobrooks down six, Hogan won't win by 12
Agafin
Cameroon

« Reply #351 on: March 27, 2024, 01:53:16 AM »

I imagine Hogan would rather run against Alsobrooks than Trone but I don’t know enough about her or about Maryland swing voters to say for sure.
I read a single Politico article on the situation so I'm now basically an expert. Gonna go out on a limb and declare this race only lean D if Alsobrooks wins the D nomination, moving to lean R if Hogan can capture some moderate Murkowski energy instead of seeming as much of a generic R as he has been.

There is no reason aside from Trone’s self-funding to assume Alsobrooks is weaker than Trone. Alsobrooks does not present like a #Squad member at all if that’s the insinuation. She’s very much part of the Dem establishment.

Atlas users, from what I've observed, tend to have a bias against black women politicians and often view them as weaker candidates. For what reasons, I'm not quite sure.

In this case, I think it is about Trone's money.

If Alsobrooks is the nominee, the DSCC will probably end up having to spend a significant amount in one of the country's bluest states despite having multiple seats to defend in red and purple states.

If it's Trone, they can let him self-fund while they can focus on Tester, Brown, Rosen, Baldwin, Gallego, Casey and Slotkin, not to mention putting a bit towards offense in Texas and maybe Florida.

The DSCC doesn’t need to spend a dime in this race. It’s basically fools gold like TN 2018 and MT 2020.

It doesn't matter what fundamentals or past results say, if polls remain even remotely close, they'll have to spend here. Because can you imagine if they don't, and then Hogan wins? They'll never live that one down. People still blame Clinton for not campaigning in Wisconsin to this very day.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #352 on: March 27, 2024, 02:29:27 AM »

I imagine Hogan would rather run against Alsobrooks than Trone but I don’t know enough about her or about Maryland swing voters to say for sure.
I read a single Politico article on the situation so I'm now basically an expert. Gonna go out on a limb and declare this race only lean D if Alsobrooks wins the D nomination, moving to lean R if Hogan can capture some moderate Murkowski energy instead of seeming as much of a generic R as he has been.

There is no reason aside from Trone’s self-funding to assume Alsobrooks is weaker than Trone. Alsobrooks does not present like a #Squad member at all if that’s the insinuation. She’s very much part of the Dem establishment.

Atlas users, from what I've observed, tend to have a bias against black women politicians and often view them as weaker candidates. For what reasons, I'm not quite sure.

In this case, I think it is about Trone's money.

If Alsobrooks is the nominee, the DSCC will probably end up having to spend a significant amount in one of the country's bluest states despite having multiple seats to defend in red and purple states.

If it's Trone, they can let him self-fund while they can focus on Tester, Brown, Rosen, Baldwin, Gallego, Casey and Slotkin, not to mention putting a bit towards offense in Texas and maybe Florida.

The DSCC doesn’t need to spend a dime in this race. It’s basically fools gold like TN 2018 and MT 2020.

It doesn't matter what fundamentals or past results say, if polls remain even remotely close, they'll have to spend here. Because can you imagine if they don't, and then Hogan wins? They'll never live that one down. People still blame Clinton for not campaigning in Wisconsin to this very day.

Alsobrooks and the MDP should really cover the expenses.
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #353 on: March 27, 2024, 11:45:40 AM »

It would also be asshaty of Trone to not give Alsobrooks a decent chunk of money if he looses. Not saying he has to open the vaults but he’d look like a sore loser if he keeps his wallet closed.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #354 on: March 27, 2024, 02:26:02 PM »

It would also be asshaty of Trone to not give Alsobrooks a decent chunk of money if he looses. Not saying he has to open the vaults but he’d look like a sore loser if he keeps his wallet closed.

Would be smart of the DSCC to get Trone to agree to finance the race if Alsobrooks wins.
kwabbit

« Reply #355 on: March 27, 2024, 02:42:12 PM »

The dude is self-funding, he's not obligated to spend millions on someone that is not himself, especially as the MD establishment put its thumb on the scale. It's a Biden +30 state and the DSCC has unlimited money.
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #356 on: March 27, 2024, 03:01:52 PM »

I think she'll be fine without a ton of support from him specifically, but I really appreciate the word "asshaty"
Arizona Iced Tea
Minute Maid Juice
Junior Chimp

« Reply #357 on: March 27, 2024, 04:31:57 PM »

No he doesn't have to give her a cent. This is his own money from his own business and he is allowed to keep it and that decision shluld be respected. It's not even like he got it from ActBlue or anything. The only thing Alsobrooks is entitled to is an endorsement for the general from Trone.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #358 on: March 27, 2024, 05:13:04 PM »

Why should he?
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #359 on: March 27, 2024, 05:42:47 PM »

Why should he?

Well, presumably he’s a Democrat…
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #360 on: March 27, 2024, 06:46:49 PM »

Why should he?

The state party heavily put its finger on the scale for his opponent and frankly it is his money.  He doesn’t owe Alsobrooks anything.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #361 on: March 27, 2024, 10:37:11 PM »

Why should he?

The state party heavily put its finger on the scale for his opponent and frankly it is his money.  He doesn’t owe Alsobrooks anything.

He’s financed plenty of races across the country, to turn up his nose cause he lost an election is just a bad look, but for him it would make it hard to get support if he ever wants to run for office again.

People don’t like sore losers
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #362 on: March 29, 2024, 11:55:31 AM »
« Edited: March 29, 2024, 12:00:10 PM by Chancellor Tanterterg »

Why should he?

The state party heavily put its finger on the scale for his opponent and frankly it is his money.  He doesn’t owe Alsobrooks anything.

He’s financed plenty of races across the country, to turn up his nose cause he lost an election is just a bad look, but for him it would make it hard to get support if he ever wants to run for office again.

People don’t like sore losers

No one will care.  If I were him, I certainly wouldn’t spend one red cent to help Alsobrooks if she won the primary.  Obviously, he should still endorse her, but it seems extremely entitled to demand he spend his own money to finance the campaign of the person who beat him in a primary earlier that year if he doesn't want to do so.  At the end of the day, it’s Trone’s money.  In any case, Trone is currently more likely than Alsobrooks to be the nominee, so this may all be moot.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #363 on: March 31, 2024, 11:05:07 AM »

wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #364 on: April 01, 2024, 08:33:28 AM »

Yeah, imagine this will come back to haunt him in a big way.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #365 on: April 10, 2024, 12:43:49 PM »

Solid, especially since he only entered the race halfway through the quarter.
Steve from Lambeth
Greece

« Reply #366 on: April 10, 2024, 01:44:22 PM »

Why does this race have to be between a racist-stupid politician with immoral business sense, a negligent-stupid politician with vapid positions, and a smart woman with about as much name recognition among the general public as Dave Leip? WHY? Can we please drag some random shop attendant or trash collector off the street and ask them to run?
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #367 on: April 10, 2024, 03:00:35 PM »

Why does this race have to be between a racist-stupid politician with immoral business sense, a negligent-stupid politician with vapid positions, and a smart woman with about as much name recognition among the general public as Dave Leip? WHY? Can we please drag some random shop attendant or trash collector off the street and ask them to run?

Trone is not a racist Roll Eyes

He very clearly misspoke.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #368 on: April 12, 2024, 10:52:31 PM »

H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #369 on: April 13, 2024, 08:46:49 AM »

It’s better than before, but she is still down in her own internals.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #370 on: April 13, 2024, 08:56:08 AM »

Good poll for Alsobrooks
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #371 on: April 13, 2024, 10:13:56 AM »

She’s not a squad member, but she ran a pretty gross anti-white race-baiting ad.

my friend, unless I'm missing something obvious it genuinely appears that your rhetoric here is nothing short of gratuitous hyperbole.

I assume this is the ad you're talking about, because when it was originally posted ITT you remarked, "hopefully that race-baiter loses to Trone"

I don't think it counts as race-baiting, let alone "gross race baiting" to show small transparent images of Republican Senators for eight seconds while talking about how most Senators are old as dirt, rich as hell, and extremely out of touch. You have to literally pause the video to make out more than a couple of the faces before they leave the screen. Literally no actual voter is going to pause a political ad and be like "OH WOW THEY'RE ALL WHITE", it's just a quick barrage of people who look 1. old, and 2. rich enough to not buy their own groceries (notice how the largest images are people like Grassley and Romney, who best fit the description).

It's a bog-standard message of "i'm a political outsider who understands the real world, not an out-of-touch insider" that literally every federal candidate uses if they aren't already serving in DC -- and it's delivered in a slightly unorthodox but genuinely effective way.

Those faces are all white because Republicans are all white. Like yeah she's making a point about members of the Senate in general but it would be politically so stupid for her to run an ad that critically portrays any incumbent Democratic Senators - her potential future colleagues!

I genuinely do not understand how the ad could possibly be characterized as "race baiting", unless I'm somehow missing something very obvious here and/or there's context here i'm missing (if so I would genuinely appreciate if you could enlighten me!)
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #372 on: April 13, 2024, 10:28:10 AM »

Also as one of only two people* to correctly call Larry Hogan's victory in the Atlas 2014 Prediction Contest I would strongly encourage everyone to not underestimate the man

*(also the other person was this Republican hack who forecasted the GOP would win basically everywhere lol)
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #373 on: April 13, 2024, 01:39:45 PM »

Also as one of only two people* to correctly call Larry Hogan's victory in the Atlas 2014 Prediction Contest I would strongly encourage everyone to not underestimate the man

*(also the other person was this Republican hack who forecasted the GOP would win basically everywhere lol)
2014 was nine years and two presidents ago. The same year Bruce Rauner flipped Illinois. It’s a different political game now
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #374 on: April 16, 2024, 11:32:49 AM »

2014 was nine years and two presidents ago. The same year Bruce Rauner flipped Illinois. It’s a different political game now

I sincerely hope you are correct but some of the polling I've seen has me worried.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies